Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrancisT218

Promote a fanmade wad as an 'unofficial' E5 candidate

Of course now we have (or are about to) John Romero's successor to Thy Flesh Consumed: Sigil. But in 25 years of mapping, numerous other quality wads for Ultimate DooM have been made. Some are very classic style, but others very much have their twists compared to any original episode and some even don't really adhere to any of the four 'traditional' styles much at all. So: if a fanmade episode could be E5 of Ultimate DooM, what one do you think would fit the bill best? A few notes:

-It can be an episode from a megawad as long as it is ONE full episode from that wad.

-How it could fuse into the story is flexible, so it doesn't HAVE to be predominately hellish, though it can be.

-It should be of at least comparable quality to the stock maps, possibly better, but should not be super detailed or have giant (or overly small) maps (i.e. no Phobos: Anomaly Reborn for instance).

-There should be some distinction from the theme of any of the the original episodes, i.e. it shouldn't match or have been clearly intended to match almost exactly. So no DTWID episode for instance.

-Cannot require more than BooM compatible port (i.e. no KDiZD...).

-Community project or one/two man effort doesn't matter.

No it doesn't have to be related to Sigil in any way, style or story, really it just can't be almost exactly the same theme as any episode E1-E4.

In fact the intent here is more like 'what would have been best fit as an E5 BEFORE Sigil?'

In many ways, Xaser's Lost Episode certainly fits the bill, the theming of it being in space is somewhat odd, the usage of console+alpha maps is pretty neat.

I was personally thinking myself Return to Hadron E1 could be an E5 in some type of 'back to tech' story, the high difficulty fits too and the style by NO means is just a rehash of either E1 or E2. Oblivion by Stormwalker for similar reasons, though it isn't as challenging.

And Double Impact perhaps but maybe it is a bit too close to original E1 aesthetic.

If going with the 'stay in hell' route, then either E4 of NEIS, or Death Tormention 3, as both felt to me like an advance/expansion of the original E4 style rather than a replica attempt, and thus not just 'another E4'. Particularly as there are some DooM II textures used in both.

Those are just all the ones I'd been thinking of myself as candidates in some way, thing is I can't decide on a 'best' fit from there.

Instead, why don't we as a community make the forbidden sixth episode: "Post-Mortem Priapism".

Spoiler

It's funny coming from me because about 2001-ish in a community IRC channel I did indeed propose a community fifth episode entitled "It's Not Necrophilia If They're Still Warm". Also a joke.

2 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

I was personally thinking myself Return to Hadron E1 could be an E5 in some type of 'back to tech' story, the high difficulty fits too and the style by NO means is just a rehash of either E1 or E2. Oblivion by Stormwalker for similar reasons, though it isn't as challenging.

Whoa... I came into this thread intending to say Return to Hadron and Oblivion. But since you already mentioned those, I'd say Apostasy on Amalthea would be a cool E5, plus a great way of bringing in the Doom alpha resources in a "back to the beginning" kind of way.