Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsidianCarnageX12

[Release]Blood Dwelling , first published ZDoom map.

[Edit : Updated 06/08/2019]

Added some more varied combat.

Hi , this is my first published ZDoom map (used mapinfo as well as mapspots).

I have been mapping for a few years now but never felt like anything was decent enough to be published.

This is a single map.

Tested with GZDoom.

Thanks to Serious Cacodemon for playtesting.

pkQeUta.jpg

qxgvj4p.jpg

BloodDwellingv2.rar

Edited by ObsidianCarnageX12

Not a bad little map.

Each area is well designed, interesting looking, and has some fun fights. The only gripe is the two Barons after the Red Key pickup, as without a Rocket Launcher, they are just ammo sponges. My favorite area is the room with the caged hallways above, where Revs and Knights act as snipers.

Overall, a fun time!

41 minutes ago, obake said:

Not a bad little map.

Each area is well designed, interesting looking, and has some fun fights. The only gripe is the two Barons after the Red Key pickup, as without a Rocket Launcher, they are just ammo sponges. My favorite area is the room with the caged hallways above, where Revs and Knights act as snipers.

Overall, a fun time!

Thank you , will take that into account while making Map02 for this. :) glad you enjoyed it as well.

Some remarks... 

Gameplay:

- The combat is in a safari tour style, mostly shooting stuff in front of you. Short and sweet here in most places, but I do think that would get tiresome in anything longer. It's worth messing around with more multi-directional stuff.

- Would monster-block the teleporter to the BK, as the spectre can take it (and ends up being stuck). 

- The HK up top will probably end up spontaneously infighting a revenant. That turns out to be a good thing because otherwise chipping away at all that stuff, including the other HK, wouldn't be so interesting with shotgun and chaingun, but I'd lighten up the fat a bit instead. 

- The chainsaw secret isn't hinted at, and there really isn't much use for the chainsaw. Also it's probably worth avoiding the sort of tiny secrets behind fake two-sided walls where you grab the secret before even seeing what you picked up; those feel lazy.

- The imp gallery in the hellish section is probably the most interesting combat piece.  The two barons are cool in staging terms imo, a bit of a jumpscare. Didn't bother killing those. 

- In my headcanon, your playtester Serious Cacodemon was the one making a cameo in the exit room. That exit fake-out is sneaky. 

Aesthetics:

- Visuals are a tad simple, but the non-zero amount of lighting implemented does help. 

- In the start room, the cutoff on the right side of both SK_LEFT textures is evident. I would align that texture to either mask it or, more straightforwardly, use SK_RIGHT on one side. Door tracks are customarily set with the 'lower unpegged' flag but the one at the start look so bad I guess.

- Near the blue key, the alignment of the WOOD5 blue key ledge is off, metal seams being nowhere near the borders, which looks rough. The steps leading up to the blue key teleporter could be textured something other than FLAT5_1 -- especially the ones that cut off diagonally, which looks a bit rough. It seems like the flat choices are a bit lazy in some places; feels like you just left some of them the same as the adjacent surfaces, which in many cases turns out not to work. (Again: up the stairs, FLAT5_1 on the marble ceiling layer above the switch.)

- Down below, the meeting point of SP_HOT1 and ROCKRED03 in the caves is a bit rough. Have seen worse though. Everything down there is blood and ROCKRED03, which doesn't look bad by any means but there aren't really any other ideas.

- The most pat aspect of the manmade stuff is that it's almost exclusively orthogonal -- which works fine with most of the assets used, but not really the marble stuff. As an exercise in composing rooms with a number of assets in the 'texturing as detailing' ethos, it is okay though. 

Edited by rdwpa