Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Iron Maiden files trademark suit against Ion Maiden

Link

A 2M trademark suit..

So yeah, I wasn't expecting this to occur. But the name IS too close.

13 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Link

A 2M trademark suit..

So yeah, I wasn't expecting this to occur. But the name IS too close.

And right as this game is about to be released, too.  I can't imagine 3D Realms being happy about this at all.

I jumped off their discord since the 3D realms mods were being too reactionary (lucky not to me). I kinda want to jump back on to see what they are thinking of doing. Iron Maiden was a historical oddity, so maybe their copyright isn't too strong. Ion Maiden was a great name, it will be hard to find another good name if it comes down to it.

Has there been 2 bombshell games or one? Bombshell 3D (although a little derivative). Shrapnel Shelly... umm....

2 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I jumped off their discord since the 3D realms mods were being too reactionary (lucky not to me). I kinda want to jump back on to see what they are thinking of doing. Iron Maiden was a historical oddity, so maybe their copyright isn't too strong. Ion Maiden was a great name, it will be hard to find another good name if it comes down to it.

Has there been 2 bombshell games or one? Bombshell 3D (although a little derivative). Shrapnel Shelly... umm....

"Bodacious Bombshell of Babylonia?"  (joking)

Well, a year ago when I bought it in Early Access and searched Google for Ion Maiden all I would get was results for Iron Maiden. But Google results don't mean much; it just means that Ion Maiden was less popular than Iron Maiden, and now it's more popular. Which is just the universe setting things right.

And their argument about the logo is laughable at best. The lettering looks nothing alike; Iron Maiden has a very stylized font, the only identical letter between the two is the I. It's absoultely ridiculous. I wish the charlatans that made up the Iron Maiden as a torture device in the 1800's were around to sue the shit out of the band for defamation for making bad music.

I like metal... just don't care for Iron Maiden. 

And now I'm thinking "This is just fucking great. I thought I would be playing the full game last Winter. Then it was delayed until late Summer or Fall. And now I'll be waiting another year or two while this frivilous lawsuit shits itself and gurgles it's way through court".

So now I have a new reason to dislike Iron Maiden.

"Unfair competition?" Right, Iron Maiden, one of the most famous metal bands in the world, is surely in danger of losing money on this video game by a semi-obscure washed up 90's game company lmao.

Besides, they named their band after an old torture device anyway, so it's not like they made that phrase up. What's next, getting sued by a band like The Police? Blur? Yes? :P

35 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I jumped off their discord since the 3D realms mods were being too reactionary (lucky not to me). 

lmao what

14 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

lmao what

Two things I remember; people were doing Ion Maiden memes or something then one of the 3DR mods jumped in and said "please stop". I wish I could remember what they were but it sucks getting old lol. Then there were people saying that Civvie would be a good person to contact about playing the game when it was released, and then they again came in to say "please don't harass him". I completely understand they want to be cautious, but that's not why I am on discord, so instead I joined a few Doom mapper discords where there is less "please stop" and more roasting lol.

Oh I got another one, "Atomic Angel."

That's a pretty shitty lawsuit, and the majority of the claims are such obvious bs to anyone with a brain. I guess I better go buy the game before Steam pulls it, if they do.

3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Ion Maiden was a great name, it will be hard to find another good name if it comes down to it.

Busty Nukem

4 hours ago, Master O said:

And right as this game is about to be released, too.  I can't imagine 3D Realms being happy about this at all.

I was about to say the same thing. Ion Maiden has been in Early Access since the last year and also delayed a few times, and Iron Maiden only now suddenly decides to file a lawsuit against the developers?

That's not going to go well anyway. And there's some very obvious bullshit going on there too. "The holding company alleges that 3D Realms engaged in federal trademark infringement and unfair competition, among other charges, for their “virtually identical imitation” of the band’s trademark." 

Unfair competition? No shit, I am certain one of the most popular and respected metal bands with millions and millions of fans has serious competition against a retro game. Good stuff, they just gave me a reason to dislike them. Besides, it's not like they invented the name anyway.

Edited by seed

Sad that this is happening, and kids these days probably don't even know who Iron Maiden are anyway. I'm surprised it took them that long, though, given that "Ion Maiden" sounds exactly like "Iron Maiden".

I'm pretty certain the Streisand Effect is going to come into effect, hard. Because be it you like or hate 3D Realms, most us and others HATE this sort of trademark bullying by bigger entities.

I like metal, I tried to like Iron Maiden in the past but I just could not get into them. So this definitely pushes them from the "don't care for" onto the "fuck off and die" list. Once you start belittling companies over petty bullshit like this, you are done to me.

15 minutes ago, Glaice said:

I'm pretty certain the Streisand Effect is going to come into effect, hard. Because be it you like or hate 3D Realms, most us and others HATE this sort of trademark bullying by bigger entities.

I like metal, I tried to like Iron Maiden in the past but I just could not get into them. So this definitely pushes them from the "don't care for" onto the "fuck off and die" list. Once you start belittling companies over petty bullshit like this, you are done to me.

Same here. I actually really liked them, but after this shitty lawsuit...

24 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Isn't it great when you are finding out that in the end some popular musicians are mere corporate bullies after all?

It's cool stuff isn't it? Suddenly discovering stuff like this about things you like and all that. They just jumped on my "dislike" list along with other bands that succumbed to greed decades ago, and winding up on that list pretty much guarantees they won't see any further support from me in any way shape or form.

14 minutes ago, Glaice said:

I'm pretty certain the Streisand Effect is going to come into effect, hard.

Yeah, a lot of free publicity for the game, and the lawsuit is such bs that it's very likely they loose. But again, Iron Maiden does have the money to dump on lawyers and stuff so who knows how this will end.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Isn't it great when you are finding out that in the end some popular musicians are mere corporate bullies after all?

Is it the band or the publisher/rights holders?

I am surprised it took this long for this to happen

Of course it's the lawyers, but I doubt they'd do something like that without consulting the band.

4 hours ago, Jello said:

Well, a year ago when I bought it in Early Access and searched Google for Ion Maiden all I would get was results for Iron Maiden. But Google results don't mean much; it just means that Ion Maiden was less popular than Iron Maiden, and now it's more popular. Which is just the universe setting things right.

And their argument about the logo is laughable at best. The lettering looks nothing alike; Iron Maiden has a very stylized font, the only identical letter between the two is the I. It's absoultely ridiculous. I wish the charlatans that made up the Iron Maiden as a torture device in the 1800's were around to sue the shit out of the band for defamation for making bad music.

I like metal... just don't care for Iron Maiden. 

And now I'm thinking "This is just fucking great. I thought I would be playing the full game last Winter. Then it was delayed until late Summer or Fall. And now I'll be waiting another year or two while this frivilous lawsuit shits itself and gurgles it's way through court".

So now I have a new reason to dislike Iron Maiden.

I agree. I actually prefer Judas Priest myself although i don't dislike Maiden's music, it's just that i had a buddy who was into Priest hardcore and we'd listen to Priest cassette tapes in his GMC Jimmy on the way to school all the time haha! He gave me all of the tapes when he moved too. Priest and Maiden are often compared to each other so i had to do it ;)

TBH, i don't even think of Iron Maiden when i think of Ion Maiden probably because i'm not a diehard fan.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

That's a pretty shitty lawsuit, and the majority of the claims are such obvious bs to anyone with a brain. I guess I better go buy the game before Steam pulls it, if they do.

Maybe i should buy the game too. It's been on my Wishlist for ever now. I was just waiting for a sale as i don't really want to spend $20 on a 3-5 hr demo, as most people say that it's really short. But i guess the money would of helped development costs. I better hurry up before it's taken down due to this shit. I never did manage to buy the Duke Nukem Megaton Edition and i'm still kickin' myself in the ass over that.

26 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Maybe i should buy the game too. It's been on my Wishlist for ever now. I was just waiting for a sale as i don't really want to spend $20 on a 3-5 hr demo, as most people say that it's really short. But i guess the money would of helped development costs. I better hurry up before it's taken down due to this shit. I never did manage to buy the Duke Nukem Megaton Edition and i'm still kickin' myself in the ass over that.

It will come back later even if it is to be taken down until this gets sorted out, but it will probably be a while before that. I wonder how much will the game be delayed due to this crap though, it's probably safe to bet that it won't be coming out this year anymore.

Missing ME sucks for sure though, as long as GB holds the rights you will never see the platformers or the expansions ever again, and probably no new installment in the series or remaster either.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Of course it's the lawyers, but I doubt they'd do something like that without consulting the band.

You would be surprised, what the management and lawyer machines are doing without consulting their clients.

18 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

You would be surprised, what the management and lawyer machines are doing without consulting their clients.

Agree, the band probably doesn't even know or care.

The lawyers are doing far worse damage to the brand.

6 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Here is a new name idea:

Maiden of Mayhem.

Aka MOM

I forgot that Iron Maiden actually had a Video Game of sorts...Ed Hunter from 1999. An on-rails shooter. I think it came with a greatest hits album or something.

They are just jealous that Ion Maiden kicks the shit out of their own officially licensed game.

WARNING: THIS VIDEO IS EXTREMELY LOUDTURN VOLUME DOWN!

Edited by CyberDreams