Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Iron Maiden files trademark suit against Ion Maiden

I love the band but it kinda sucks to see one of the most famous bands in the world going against a niche videogame. I don't think that some rockstars in their 60's are in touch with videogames and the internet but there's to see how much of this was prompted by managers and lawyers.

7 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I jumped off their discord since the 3D realms mods were being too reactionary (lucky not to me). I kinda want to jump back on to see what they are thinking of doing. Iron Maiden was a historical oddity, so maybe their copyright isn't too strong. Ion Maiden was a great name, it will be hard to find another good name if it comes down to it.

Has there been 2 bombshell games or one? Bombshell 3D (although a little derivative). Shrapnel Shelly... umm....

"Shrapnel" or "Shrapnel Siren" seem to be the favourites floating around right now.

17 minutes ago, seed said:

That has got to be the most retarded things I read this year.

I actual wonder if the suit itself is real, or just the rumor mill spiraling out of control. Given that 3D Realms hasn't actually received the notice as of now? One can hope it's just rumors at any rate... 

The whole thing is such a massive stretch though. I can't imagine that it would really go anywhere even if it does go to court. Iron Maiden, for one, is not simply the bands name, but an actual device, and Ion Maiden as a brand is: 
A) A different word
B) Imagery is completely different 
C) Harrison is a different and very real name from Harris. 
D) How in the actual f*** does the Bombshell face look even remotely like any incarnation of Eddie? I mean, why stop here... go after Disney for the pirate flag in Pirates of the Caribbean while you're at it... 
E) Neither the 1999 game nor the mobile game look remotely like Ion Maiden, so again...fail to see the overlap... 

I am pretty sure its the managers and not the band members that are involved in doing such a thing. I am 99% sure that if band members were made aware of this, they would tell the lawyers to back off. Someone actually needs to inform them.

well shit. i actually am a pretty big fan of Iron Maiden, so to see them do something real BS like this lawsuit kind of hurts to see.

I can't see the band members being the driving force behind this, they don't need the money and I doubt they give a shit.

Jobs worth lawyer probably.

Every time I see Ion Maiden brought up in this forum I wonder who would be dumb enough to make an Iron Maiden game... before I realize oh yeah Ion Maiden. I don't even listen to Iron Maiden. I just know that name from what 20 - 30 years? They're missing an R though. I assume the name would fall under parody.

Our faux old-school first-person shooter Ion Maiden is infringing on legit old-school metal band Iron Maiden.

Remember when Spike Lee sued Spike TV? When you're owned by NBC Universal and GE... there's money to be had. Mostly in settlements to go fuck off.

Edited by geo

My suggestion is that they drop the title "Ion Maiden" and instead use a title Iron Maiden never complained about, PowerSlave.

Made me wonder why they never pursued PowerSlave but they went after Ion Maiden..

I doubt they have trademarked their song's names. But they have trademarked their band's name.

I'm a big Iron Maiden fan and have been since the 80's. This fucking totally sucks. 3D realms should change the name to Antiquated Torture Device. :P

Well, Ion Maiden was the name of one of the guns from the first game so, if they're gonna change it for another what about... P.M.S.?   :P

10 hours ago, Gez said:

My suggestion is that they drop the title "Ion Maiden" and instead use a title Iron Maiden never complained about, PowerSlave.

xD

22 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Well I'm certainly never going to listen to their music.

Your loss. Iron Maiden rocks!

Well unless they drop this silly lawsuit I won't yet give their music a chance.

17 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

"Shrapnel" or "Shrapnel Siren" seem to be the favourites floating around right now.

Maybe.... Electric Lass?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden

This is a pretty dumb lawsuit considered an Iron Maiden is a real thing. Be like Bungie suing Beyonce because she has a song titled "Halo". This is freaking stupid. You didnt have an original band name and somebody else uses a noun. Go home.

I can see the lawsuits coming in now: Soccer Mom buys Beyonce's Halo single and gives to her son. Son gets mad and throws a tantrum. 2 million dollar lawsuit.

i have no kind words so I will be signing off now.

This is absolutely the worst forum to probably say this but I’ve only had passing interest in metal music. However metal heads can be so sanctimonious about their genre that I feel some shadenfreude here just because with this and Metallica vs Napster twenty years ago, I’m having a hard time thinking of a more litigious genre of music. Maybe classic rock musicians who freak out about loop sampling and streaming services?

I'm not big on the whole lawsuit thing, but, yeah, in my opinion, the game is trying to borrow off the band's success. I see the resemblance in the logo, and the name is an obvious hook, for starters.

And, when you have a recognizable brand name that's being "borrowed" off of, all sorts of ugly things can happen, which are totally out of your control. Any controversy the game might cause would automatically be linked to the band in the public eye. Look at what has already happened - they are getting flack for the lawsuit, even though it wasn't their fault. They have to sue, to get behind this thing, else they put total faith in the hands of the game creators, who have already demonstrated a lack of good faith by being so derivative, without asking permission.

Iron Maiden fails at this suit.

It would make more sense if Id Software filed a complaint against Voidpoint over this but they didn't.

image.png.48ea2886a6ce16538901f81b06ea5cca.pngimage.png.2916c4c80b83b2ef41360048f7913998.png

I'm trying to come up with an electric pun on Drunkard's cloak or its variant the Schandmantel because those are what actually historically existed and then were turned into iron maidens in the 19th century as part of the general tendency to imagine the Middle Age as more barbaric than it actually was.

that's what happens when you allow your pet lawyers to walk out of their cage, and without their muzzle.

I think what bothers me most is that people (especially lawyers) don't understand the difference between stealing ideas and paying homage to. To them, there is no difference. The similarity between the cover and PSX Doom cover is paying homage. Whoever would get all upset over that needs a reality check.