Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Armaetus

Iron Maiden files trademark suit against Ion Maiden

Recommended Posts

The new name is really stupid but who cares. They should have just called it Bombshell 3D.

 

I can't wait for this game. Trailer looks epic and I'm sure Shelly will take her place among the great FPS protagonists.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I also like the new name, and don't think it's dumb at all.

 

Bombshell 3D could have been even better but eh, I don't care so much about it as they have been able to come up with something decent anyway. Glad the deadline really wasn't missed by much, when they said that they actually meant it, not give us false hope.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the new name is alright. Its not as great as the old name but much better than the suggestions by majority of folks.

 

Also I personally was not fond of Bombshell 3D. Sure I get that having 3D in its name makes it look like Duke 3D. But that "Bombshell" name is associated with a game that had a not-so-well reception. I am glad they didn't go with it.

Share this post


Link to post

Gotta say I'm not a fan of the new name. I'm still gonna call it Ion Maiden. Fight me, corporate lawyers. Dumbest lawsuit I have ever witnessed.

Share this post


Link to post

Fury does a number on me due to my speech impediment, so when I talk about it it's going to sound more like Ion Furry or Ion Fairy.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Fury does a number on me due to my speech impediment, so when I talk about it it's going to sound more like Ion Furry or Ion Fairy.

 

Shelly's alternate costume: a bunny suit.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

If you want to imply another potential trademark violation

No, I want to say that I – having never seen a single episode of that series – associate the name with horses, while I didn't associate the previous name with the band.

Share this post


Link to post

That may be, but it's completely irrelevant. There's such a large number of creative works called "Fury" that registering a trademark for it would be impossible. So whatever you may associate it with does not matter, it's not a registered trademark so it can be used freely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

No, I want to say that I – having never seen a single episode of that series – associate the name with horses, while I didn't associate the previous name with the band.

 

Given there are so many things with "fury" in the title, why oh why would you associate that word with horses as a result of an ancient TV show you have never seen?

 

That's just super surreal!

Share this post


Link to post

I think there's a difference between sensible litigation due to an obvious attempt to bank on someone else's IP, and brute-force litigation resulting from not questioning your lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post

Correct, but don't forget: They sent a C&D letter first, which got ignored. Once you are past that point a lawsuit is the only way to go. And it lies in the nature of that thing that the language is harsh and tries to put as many issues in the text as possible.

 

I experienced this myself, many years ago, when I sued a former employer who shut down the entire division I worked in without prior warning or notice. The lawyer I hired put so many minor things in there that in the end it sounded like the company was made up of criminals. Most of that was mere posturing, though, because ultimately I did not want a court's decision but some money. The same was obvious here: The band wasn't interested in a court process but the game being renamed.

 

Brute-force litigation would have been to sue without a C&D.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Don't care about name of this game just waiting for old school FPS fun! \m/

 

P.S. Judas Priest > Iron Maiden ;)

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, qdash said:

P.S. Judas Priest > Iron Maiden ;)

 

Both are grossly overrated! :D

 

Share this post


Link to post

I will definitely check this out when it is released. Looks like good quality vintage Build shenanigans.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2019 at 9:13 PM, kb1 said:

It's like naming your game "Lead Zeppelin", or "Metallican". It's ridiculous, and obvious. Yeah, boo hoo poor little guy, indeed.

 

https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Metallican/release/660890 First thing i thought of ;) And no i don't own it (i wish though).

 

But yeah, i don't mind the new name at all. I'm glad that the game still has a reasonable release date too.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 4:03 AM, Graf Zahl said:

 

Both are grossly overrated! :D

 

 

Maybe not your thing, but such influential and diverse clearly talented bands don't really fit the word overrated. I think that's a bit of an overused descriptor anyway, it just means you like them less than others do. What would be the bar, just your personal taste I guess? Those 70s Priest albums are mindblowingly ahead of their time and diverse. And the NWOBHM sound (one of my favorite music scenes) sure took a lot from ol' Maiden. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but good lord, you've listened to all those albums or is this off the cuff? It is to this metalhead quite the outrageous claim.

Share this post


Link to post

Overrated has a lot of meanings, nowadays it means basically mainstream, commercial, popculture, washed out, standard, too old for it's worth, overhyped, on life support, typical example, first to think of. It tells more about generic people tastes for quick and classic known things you keep going back to because cult following brand and memories than real quality or artistry. It works that way not only in music but also in games, movies, novels, art and poetry, every piece of the media you can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, FearTheReaper said:

Overrated has a lot of meanings, nowadays it means basically mainstream, commercial, popculture, washed out, standard, too old for it's worth, overhyped, on life support, typical example, first to think of. It tells more about generic people tastes for quick and classic known things you keep going back to because cult following brand and memories than real quality or artistry. It works that way not only in music but also in games, movies, novels, art and poetry, every piece of the media you can think of.

 

When critiquing a band, their history of albums is the majority of what we're reviewing. When talking about say the Beatles, you're talking about how they influenced rock music, the albums at the time etc. The stuff you're saying such as washed up, commercial etc, these wouldn't apply to the early albums by these bands. And those albums will always be there as part of music history, and an important part of that history for heavy metal. I personally don't think overrated is of great use as a term in reviewing, since it just means you value your own taste over those of others, and not regarding context or history etc.

 

And in general that you're saying people have generic taste for liking these things that happen to be known and lauded, I don't find any substance in that. What is the point of dismissing other people's enjoyment in some music for example. I think it's fair to say 70s Judas Priest albums do have real artistry, I don't know if you've heard these albums or you're just doing a bit of a debate exercise here. But while it's all subject to taste, by most metrics of review (comparing to their contemporaries etc) those albums are something interesting and special. Especially for the time.

Edited by PsychoGoatee

Share this post


Link to post

@PsychoGoatee: Very nicely stated. It's very difficult to provide an objective, yet unbiased critique on a form of art as personal and emotional as music.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, PsychoGoatee said:

 

Maybe not your thing, but such influential and diverse clearly talented bands don't really fit the word overrated. I think that's a bit of an overused descriptor anyway, it just means you like them less than others do. What would be the bar, just your personal taste I guess? Those 70s Priest albums are mindblowingly ahead of their time and diverse. And the NWOBHM sound (one of my favorite music scenes) sure took a lot from ol' Maiden. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but good lord, you've listened to all those albums or is this off the cuff? It is to this metalhead quite the outrageous claim.

 

I've been listening to Metal music since the mid 80's and as things stand, I never understood why those two bands stand in such high regard. Hence 'overrated'. I could list tons of bands of the same era which I find a lot more interesting but in the end it's always those British "Dinosaur" bands which get praised the most - especially when their output had been in decline for 30 years or so - while so many other bands are conveniently being ignored when discussing music history.

 

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

 

I've been listening to Metal music since the mid 80's and as things stand, I never understood why those two bands stand in such high regard. Hence 'overrated'. I could list tons of bands of the same era which I find a lot more interesting but in the end it's always those British "Dinosaur" bands which get praised the most - especially when their output had been in decline for 30 years or so - while so many other bands are conveniently being ignored when discussing music history.

 

Music has such a range of multi-faceted properties that I cannot justify putting greater-than/less-than signs inbetween songs or bands. For me, it's more like a door that's either open or closed: I like the song, or I don't. But if I were to analyze certain key aspects I find important, I could say this about the 2 bands in general:

 

  • Each musician is very skilled, yet I feel they add what's needed in the songs vs. "hot-dogging" their abilities and trying to "out-solo" each other.
  • Both band have keen senses of harmony
  • These bands were not the first bands doing what they were doing, but they were close, and they definitely were pioneering certain techniques
  • They became mega-bands despite having virtually no radio time for a long time (Iron Maiden to this day still gets virtually no radio time, yet they sell out everywhere they go).

Metal, in general has been slighted by the mainstream forever, which is damn shame. For example, I heard about Dream Theater only about 20 years too late - I point which pisses me off to this day. I was then that I truly realized just how piss poor the music industry really is. That I can hear about Britney Spears and Justin Beiber, but not hear about a band the likes of Dream Theater is pure lunacy. I feel that they were cheated out of their legacy for many years. I feel cheated that I didn't hear of them sooner.

 

Because of this, a band like Dream Theater survived solely based on word-of-mouth of their raw talent. I put the "dinosaurs" in this category as well, including Iron Maiden and Judas Priest (they did get a limited boost in the MTV era with the occasional video, before MTV dropped the ball).

 

To this day, new and old Metal is still surviving, due to their talent being discussed by the fans. What's left of the music industry still doesn't get it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kb1 said:

To this day, new and old Metal is still surviving, due to their talent being discussed by the fans. What's left of the music industry still doesn't get it.

 

Ya kinda nailed it here.

 

The problem is, there's lots of bands that don't get the attention or recognition they deserve for various reasons. Sometimes they do get it, but too often that happens only after they'd already split up. The inferior acts get it instead, and the others survive only because fans know what they want. It's probably applicable to other genres as well, but often the geniuses are not found in the mainstream. If you want to find something really good, be prepared to do a lot of digging (maybe look for respected record labels as well to make it slightly less frustrating).

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Metal is stagnant right now because everyone is brick walling their production and relying on a compositional template that hasn't introduced any new permutations since djent's introduction in the mid 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kb1 said:

To this day, new and old Metal is still surviving, due to their talent being discussed by the fans. What's left of the music industry still doesn't get it.

tbh, i think that this is true for any good art.

 

5 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

relying on a compositional template that hasn't introduced any new permutations since djent's introduction in the mid 90s

meh, there is nothing new in music at all: it still rely on that ancient concept of mixing harmonical sounds. ;-)

 

but i miss good metal bands. without much experiments and such. just solid metal, with good vocals. like Helloween of Kiske times, Blind Guardian of "Imaginations" times, and so on. there is still alot to say there, i think. but usually when a band gains enough expirience to say something new, it moves in some direction i don't like, because "classic metal is so boring (and we won't sell much playing it ;-)".

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Metal is stagnant right now because everyone is brick walling their production and relying on a compositional template that hasn't introduced any new permutations since djent's introduction in the mid 90s.

 

Except that isn't actually the case. For one, you could say black metal still sees "waves" up to this day, with the last one initiated by Deathspell Omega which opened the gates to an influx of bands heavily inspired by them.

Share this post


Link to post

Black metal's third wave that was initiated in the late 90s/early 00s hasn't been usurped. Bands are still relying on the same techniques as before (tremolo picking, extended chords, dissonant intervals, etc.). No one is pushing to do anything that's actually new with the electric guitar.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×