Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

16 minutes ago, ketmar said:

actually, full and buildable game source code should be included with any bought game. and with the licence that releases that code (and assets) to public domain after, for example, five years. this way we'll never have any "lost games" anymore, people could learn from the working projects, and studios won't be able to ride their old success ad infinitum.

yeah, that includes full engine sources, even if that engine was licensed.

That could've worked some 20yrs ago, but nowadays since there's rarely ever the case of one party owning the whole code, it's exceedingly unlikely.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

That could've worked some 20yrs ago, but nowadays since there's rarely ever the case of one party owning the whole code, it's exceedingly unlikely.

Well, the situation we are in now is entirely because this approach was not adopted 20 years ago.

This is what Richard Stallman talks about all the time - software should always be free (in the sense that code should always be public), even if it's sold. I guess it is a rather unpopular opinion overall, although I wouldn't call it "retro". :)

28 minutes ago, dr_st said:

Well, the situation we are in now is entirely because this approach was not adopted 20 years ago.

This is what Richard Stallman talks about all the time - software should always be free (in the sense that code should always be public), even if it's sold. I guess it is a rather unpopular opinion overall, although I wouldn't call it "retro". :)

True.

However, I have mixed feelings when it comes to open-sourcing my own work (no I'm not a programmer, but I may learn that one day, idk. I'm theoretically speaking here), but I'd rather not say exactly why that is - yeah, it will be perceived as being petty, probably (maybe even rightfully so).

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

I guess it is a rather unpopular opinion overall, although I wouldn't call it "retro"

it is "retro" in the sense that it is old enough to be called "retro", i believe. ;-)

1. Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 (single-player). Don't get me wrong, I had a blast playing Q1 for the first time, but enemies are too bullet-spongy, tech >>> gothic, and Vore's homing attacks are just shitty game design. I replayed Q2 a few times, but I don't think I'll ever do another playthrough of Q1.

2. C64 and most other retro console games suck. I strongly suspect that those who love them only do so because of the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

3. Console ports of Doom suck and are vastly inferior to the PC original. It's a shame, because PSX port especially didn't deserve this, it was just unlucky that it was based on the Jaguar version, even though PSX could have handled a proper port of the original Doom for PC.

4. Duke Nukem is an asshole and I don't like him.

26 minutes ago, Rathori said:

1. Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 (single-player).

Definitely not an unpopular opinion though, not here on DW at least (and I think on the ZDoom Forums too).

26 minutes ago, Rathori said:

4. Duke Nukem is an asshole and I don't like him.

Are you thinking of Duke of DNF2011 here BTW? Because yeah, there's a reason why many consider him Douche Nukem in that game.

But in 3D he's not an asshole at all.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

Are you thinking of Duke of DNF2011 here BTW? Because yeah, there's a reason why many consider him Douche Nukem in that game.

But in 3D he's not an asshole at all.

Mostly DNF, yeah. Didn't know about Douche Nukem, I must have missed that somehow :D

In 3D he kinda is, even if a little bit, but at least he has some charisma.

3 minutes ago, Rathori said:

Mostly DNF, yeah. Didn't know about Douche Nukem, I must have missed that somehow :D

In 3D he kinda is, even if a little bit, but at least he has some charisma.

Yes, that's the reason why some perceive Duke as an asshole now, because of DNF2011, where he is an asshole to the bone thanks to abysmal writing. The DLC is better though in this respect.

In classic he had charisma, good humor, didn't see women as mere objects for achieving sexual gratification, people didn't almost literally worship him, and so and so on.

5 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

The classic Super Mario games (1, 2 and 3) are overrated, they don't contribute anything to the industry, they're just generic platformer games

While I kinda agree, I also think that while Mario games are kinda generic platformers, I think that they're platformers done right - the controls are super tight, and it feels very good to play those games.

Just now, Rathori said:

While I kinda agree, I also think that while Mario games are kinda generic platformers, I think that they're platformers done right - the controls are super tight, and it feels very good to play those games.

That's not what i meant, while the controls themselves and the movility is great, the game itself is generic, no charisma.

Another unpopular retro opinion: Serious Sam is just a Duke Nukem rip-off

2 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

The classic Super Mario games (1, 2 and 3) are overrated, they don't contribute anything to the industry, they're just generic platformer games

I think the whole Nintendo stuff is overrated. I liked all those games when I was like 8 and then I discovered better games like GTA and stuff. I don't get why Mario and Zelda get so much praise. Mario is too repetitive, and Zelda got boring after the first 20 minutes of playing. The only Mario game I completed was the one for the SNES and it didn't really have that ending that was satisfying. it was just like, you got the girl, And??? the IGN top 100 video games has 5 Nintendo games in their top 6, and I don't get it. PS and Xbox have great originals. 

I do get Mario and Zelda for a much younger audience, but for people over 12, I don't know, it's just weird.

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

the IGN top 100 video games has 5 Nintendo games in their top 6, and I don't get it. PS and Xbox have great originals. 

IGN is just a console praiser, kid games lover website, i actually didn't think like that until the power ranking, pure little kids, HOW CAN DR. AMIGO KILL A GODAMN SPACE MARINE, AN EXPERT ITALIAN ASSASSIN FROM THE REINASSANCE, A MANIAC ROBOT AND THE LIST GOES ON

13 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

IGN is just a console praiser, kid games lover website, i actually didn't think like that until the power ranking, pure little kids, HOW CAN DR. AMIGO KILL A GODAMN SPACE MARINE, AN EXPERT ITALIAN ASSASSIN FROM THE REINASSANCE, A MANIAC ROBOT AND THE LIST GOES ON

I agree 100%.

the only true video game news site is the Onion Gamer Net or OGN

Nintendo is not overrated. They saved gaming. Without them, it would have died because of Atari's greed.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I do get Mario and Zelda for a much younger audience, but for people over 12, I don't know, it's just weird.

1 hour ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

kid games

We're seriously having this "you're too old for these games" discussion?

Well at least we're seeing some hot takes...

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Nintendo is not overrated. They saved gaming. Without them, it would have died because of Atari's greed.

well then they weren't, but now, with the development of games like Red Dead Redemption and DOOM, I don't get how they still come out number 1. like the Switch seems to get so much praise, but I don't see why. 

29 minutes ago, seed said:

We're seriously having this "you're too old for these games" discussion?

Well at least we're seeing some hot takes...

I'm not saying you're too old to play the game, I'm saying that in my opinion, since I just turned 13, that the fun and adventure of these games have died down since now I see that they are targeted towards a younger audience and that all the references are a bit childish. I don't care if you are 60 and you still play Mario, I'm just saying that in my opinion, I don't think that Mario has that ability to be played your entire life, when games like God of War have that ability to stay with you for years. Although, I don't have that much experience with games because I've only played them for like 8 years (first console was a Wii), but even then, I didn't really play too much Mario, I played like Star Wars games and the Lego Harry Potter games. And I have only played games like GTA 5 for the past 5 years, so who knows really. I don't have that much experience as others on Doomworld.  

actually, people will still play Mario when GoW will be long forgotten. both Mario and Doom have something in common: they have very simple core mechanics, but those mechanics can create complex gameplay. that's why Doom is still alive and played, and that's why Mario is still alive and played.

also, there is a huge Mario modding scene too, so you really have ALOT of levels to play (just like Doom). with those new games, it is way harder to create new good content, so once you learned the game, you won't have anything new on your table anymore.

modern games come and go, but Doom and Mario will stay. ;-)

p.s.: i actually don't like Mario at all, and don't have any nostalgic memories connected to it. so it is not from someone who just can't let their childhood go.

p.p.s.: i guess this post is barely ontopic, but still ontopic. "Mario won't die" may be unpopular opinion for some audiences, and it is definitely has something to do with "retro". ;-)

Edited by ketmar : more typos

You're all being a bit dumb. It makes perfect sense for Nintendo to outnumber everyone else in a Top X videogame of all times list. Because Nintendo is the only videogame company out there that actually dares to put corporate quality above profits.

3 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

The Sony PlayStation Portable is the greatest handheld game console ever made, either before or since its inception.

This guy fucks.

5 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

well then they weren't, but now, with the development of games like Red Dead Redemption and DOOM, I don't get how they still come out number 1. like the Switch seems to get so much praise, but I don't see why. 

I'm not saying you're too old to play the game, I'm saying that in my opinion, since I just turned 13, that the fun and adventure of these games have died down since now I see that they are targeted towards a younger audience and that all the references are a bit childish. I don't care if you are 60 and you still play Mario, I'm just saying that in my opinion, I don't think that Mario has that ability to be played your entire life, when games like God of War have that ability to stay with you for years. Although, I don't have that much experience with games because I've only played them for like 8 years (first console was a Wii), but even then, I didn't really play too much Mario, I played like Star Wars games and the Lego Harry Potter games. And I have only played games like GTA 5 for the past 5 years, so who knows really. I don't have that much experience as others on Doomworld.  

Have you forgotten that games on Nintendo's consoles barely

have any bugs? They quality test games to make sure they're polished. Meanwhile you see games on the Xbox One (a console I have by the way) that are broken and/or incomplete. Nintendo is the only company that still gets local multiplayer games released, which is a rarity on the PS4 and Xbox One. They still make games well, games, and that is a blessing.

8 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

The Sony PlayStation Portable is the greatest handheld game console ever made, either before or since its inception.

GBA SP is the greatest console, because it has none of this "operating system" nonsense, and just boots straight into the game. It also doesn't try to murder your wrists (unlike PSP).

(I love PSP though, and have 4 of them :P)

42 minutes ago, Rathori said:

GBA SP is the greatest console, because it has none of this "operating system" nonsense, and just boots straight into the game. It also doesn't try to murder your wrists (unlike PSP).

(I love PSP though, and have 4 of them :P)

you are both wrong, the android cellphone is the best handheld console because it can make phone calls!

(some sarcasm may apply)

10 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Have you forgotten that games on Nintendo's consoles barely

have any bugs? They quality test games to make sure they're polished. Meanwhile you see games on the Xbox One (a console I have by the way) that are broken and/or incomplete. Nintendo is the only company that still gets local multiplayer games released, which is a rarity on the PS4 and Xbox One. They still make games well, games, and that is a blessing.

Gonna buy a lottery ticket guys, first time I've ever agreed with The Strife Commando, lol.

11 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Nintendo is the only company that still gets local multiplayer games released, which is a rarity on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Yeah... because they don't have a functional online ecosystem. Nintendo's online infrastructure is laughably pathetic--it's so bad it's lacking features the fucking Xbox 360 introduced in 2006. 14 years later, you have to log into a fucking APP on your phone to do voice chat on the switch! The switch marketplace is a goddamn wasteland and just try navigating without any filtering tools.

And don't get me started on just how fucking inept and incompetent Nintendo is when managing their back catalog; we're 3 years into its life cycle and you can play a couple dozen shitty NES games, and they only recently started adding SNES games! It's 2020 and the entire fucking catalog of Nintendo games across 5 generations isn't playable?!? Oh look! They added 10 yard fight this month!!! This is beyond incompetent on behalf of the top Nintendo brass. Meanwhile, Microsoft engineers managed to build an emulator to run a 360 inside of an Xbox one and port hundreds of games as part of the backwards compatibility program. 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Pegg said:

Nintendo disagrees, you should be paying $30 for their oldest games at least :P.

Curse you, Nintendo!