Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

9 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Yeah not very controversial this, its library was insane. 

I could say I am much more fond of the N64 over the SNES, but then I only had the SNES for about a year before I got the N64. But also, I do feel Nintendo were at their most inventive and forward thinking with the N64 and the Nintendo of today fucking suck compared to the Nintendo of then. Got to the open world thing 5 years too late with Breath of the Wild about about a year after I was completely sick of the concept, Miyamoto verbally burying Starfox and F-Zero and basically tearing my heart in half, never doing anything cool with Mario again, making Smash Bros one of their major properties which I think is an example of their creative bankruptcy, turning Fire Emblem into a waifu simulator with maybe a mediocre strategy game on top, apparently ruining Paper Mario based on what I've read (not as big into those) and just in general, no mojo, no inventiveness, it's not a retro opinion really because its my opinion of current Nintendo, but based on the Switch's popularity its probably unpopular but I think they suck now. I don't think Sony or Microsoft are any better. There's a reason I don't have any consoles anymore. 

FE 3 Houses is very good though. There's little in the way of "Waifu Simulator" stuff and it takes influence from FE4.

3 minutes ago, MassiveEdgelord said:

FE 3 Houses is very good though. There's little in the way of "Waifu Simulator" stuff and it takes influence from FE4.

Maybe, Fire Emblem was only a series I dabbled in at best, it's just, one of those I tried was Awakening. And that game was atrocious and far beneath the quality I would have expected, it was an outright embarrasment as a strategy game and the Nintendo of a couple of decades ago would never have released something of such low gameplay quality. It was the nail in the coffin for me, but I was just about over them as it was. 

2 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Maybe, Fire Emblem was only a series I dabbled in at best, it's just, one of those I tried was Awakening. And that game was atrocious and far beneath the quality I would have expected, it was an outright embarrasment as a strategy game and the Nintendo of a couple of decades ago would never have released something of such low gameplay quality. It was the nail in the coffin for me, but I was just about over them as it was. 

Lol no one likes Awakening.

Go play Shadows of Valentia or The Sacred Stones or the aforementioned 3 Houses instead. Fire Emblem is a very overhated series and most of it isn't warranted.

I can believe that most of the other Fire Emblem games are good and that in general Awakening was not one of the liked ones by most fans of the series, I just never really got into it when I tried them (I did try the Gamecube and Wii entries) 

Still when it came out it came out to very good reviews, it sold extremely well and to me it seemed ridiculous that no one noticed the game was a disaster in design. But then again I think we all know what a joke the gaming media are and have been for years. 

3 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I can believe that most of the other Fire Emblem games are good and that in general Awakening was not one of the liked ones by most fans of the series, I just never really got into it when I tried them (I did try the Gamecube and Wii entries) 

Still when it came out it came out to very good reviews, it sold extremely well and to me it seemed ridiculous that no one noticed the game was a disaster in design. But then again I think we all know what a joke the gaming media are and have been for years. 

Yeah just avoid Awakening & Fates 

54 minutes ago, hybridial said:

very good reviews

This reminds me of something actually, I think it's well past due time people finally stop listening to reviews and play the damn thing for themselves and make up their own mind.

Reviewers and "journalists" in general seem to have reached an all-time low nowadays, they are not what they used to be once, and although I am very strongly opposed to the "agenda pushing" argument because most of the time it's a very idiotic stance to take and completely unfounded, in some places, mostly the "big ones", it is in fact a reality.

Say "no" to them, they are no longer interested in the actual games and don't deserve your clicks or attention.

Edited by seed

There's a major worrying precedence lately with the online media that companies are trying to enforce more and more control on the dissemination of information and opinion about what they produce, whether it be (allegedly) bribing journalists, (allegedly) changing the rules of certain websites in their favour, or (allegedly) denouncing everything said against them as being politically motivated.

It's worrying, but we all have the choice of simply not giving our money. Shame too many people still do so. 

24 minutes ago, hybridial said:

There's a major worrying precedence lately with the online media that companies are trying to enforce more and more control on the dissemination of information and opinion about what they produce, whether it be (allegedly) bribing journalists, (allegedly) changing the rules of certain websites in their favour, or (allegedly) denouncing everything said against them as being politically motivated.

It's worrying, but we all have the choice of simply not giving our money. Shame too many people still do so. 

Exactly.

And something more than just that, although, as I said in my edit above, the "agenda pushing" argument rarely ever makes any kind of sense, I took my time recently to look up shit in places such as Kotaku (aka "Cancertaku") or Polygon, and unfortunately this seems to actually be a real thing going on in some places of the internet.

It's the same with music. The people running websites such as Metalsucks are out for something else entirely, they don't care about the music.

Edited by seed

2 minutes ago, MassiveEdgelord said:

If you wanna know if a game is good check out what people say on forums.

Precisely that. I prefer hearing what gamers, fans, and so on have to say about the product than any of those.

51 minutes ago, seed said:

the "agenda pushing" argument rarely ever makes any kind of sense

Whilst I rarely think there's an outright conspiracy involved, what I more mean is in PR terms its a very easy, low path to take for companies to just say "oh all the people criticising us online are just a bunch of sexist online trolls," and that's exactly what happened with the new Star Wars movies. I think the actual number of people who focused on not liking them for reasons of that nature is very low, and most people hate them because they're all fucking terrible films, and hell, the performance over time of the movies has kind of shown that, they're kind of legitimate failures.

Yet you still see all of that deflection going on in the media, so I absolutely think its something we're seeing a lot of. Watch the reaction when you point out that Brie Larsen's performance was shit in Captain Marvel in many places, because oh boy the truth seems to hurt some people :P 

15 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Whilst I rarely think there's an outright conspiracy involved, what I more mean is in PR terms its a very easy, low path to take for companies to just say "oh all the people criticising us online are just a bunch of sexist online trolls," and that's exactly what happened with the new Star Wars movies. I think the actual number of people who focused on not liking them for reasons of that nature is very low, and most people hate them because they're all fucking terrible films, and hell, the performance over time of the movies has kind of shown that, they're kind of legitimate failures.

Yet you still see all of that deflection going on in the media, so I absolutely think its something we're seeing a lot of. Watch the reaction when you point out that Brie Larsen's performance was shit in Captain Marvel in many places, because oh boy the truth seems to hurt some people :P 

Yeah, indeed, but frankly I mostly like the new SW movies, it's only RoS that I didn't really enjoy simply because it just shows how troubled its development was, unfocused too. The main issue with the sequels is that there has been no singular vision behind them even for a second, so they're a weird mish-mash of varying degrees of quality. Then again, I'm one of those people who likes the prequels, so whatever... Honestly SW and especially SW "fans" are something I tend to avoid like plague, the whole fanbase just looks like a giant cesspit to me. I've never seen any fanbase that is in a stronger "love to hate" type of relationship than this one. Yuck.

Cpt. Marvel is actually one of my least favorite Marvel movies honestly, it just didn't really catch me as much as the others, and yeah, Larsen wasn't too great on top of her saying some dumb things in interviews that I've heard back when it was still fresh out of the oven. I very much prefer Shazam instead, it's an all-around better movie in my opinion. I wonder how Black Adam and Shazam 2 will turn out.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Yeah, indeed, but frankly I mostly like the new SW movies, it's only RoS that I didn't really enjoy simply because it just shows how troubled its development was, unfocused too. The main issue with the sequels is that there has been no singular idea behind them even for a second, so they're a weird mish-mash of varying degrees of quality.

It's okay to still kind of like them and call them for what they are, which is bad. We have to be intellectually honest with ourselves at times, mainly I come at it from being critical on the writing side, and whilst I don't fanboy over the old movies its fairly clear why they work and why the prequels didn't and why these new ones didn't. They really did not care or give the proper attention to the craft of writing within these movies. Rian Johnson had a ghost of an original thought in The Last Jedi with Luke's character but is it properly developed? No. Was everything else in the Last Jedi a complete waste of time? Oh god yes. Was The Force Awakens a cheap, soulless imitation of a vastly superior movie (that in itself I just think is average), yes, is The Rise of Skywalker Disney reaping what they sowed? Definitely.

I think what a lot of the Star Wars fanbase is going through is realising the rather harsh reality that none of these later attempts to recreate the success of Star Wars have worked but that they are to blame for allowing Lucas to turn the series into such a corporate sellout which in turn has resulted in all the films they hate, and they're seeing how hollow its become.

But hey, unpopular retro opinion, I think people need to get the fuck over Star Wars, not because the classic movies were bad, I don't believe that unless talking about Lucas' attempts to "improve" them, but because they're just competent movies with imaginative special effects and basically no originality at all in their storytelling (but those were competently executed, which makes a big difference) 

8 minutes ago, hybridial said:

It's okay to still kind of like them and call them for what they are, which is bad. We have to be intellectually honest with ourselves at times, mainly I come at it from being critical on the writing side, and whilst I don't fanboy over the old movies its fairly clear why they work and why the prequels didn't and why these new ones didn't. They really did not care or give the proper attention to the craft of writing within these movies. Rian Johnson had a ghost of an original thought in The Last Jedi with Luke's character but is it properly developed? No. Was everything else in the Last Jedi a complete waste of time? Oh god yes. Was The Force Awakens a cheap, soulless imitation of a vastly superior movie (that in itself I just think is average), yes, is The Rise of Skywalker Disney reaping what they sowed? Definitely.

I think what a lot of the Star Wars fanbase is going through is realising the rather harsh reality that none of these later attempts to recreate the success of Star Wars have worked but that they are to blame for allowing Lucas to turn the series into such a corporate sellout which in turn has resulted in all the films they hate, and they're seeing how hollow its become.

But hey, unpopular retro opinion, I think people need to get the fuck over Star Wars, not because the classic movies were bad, I don't believe that unless talking about Lucas' attempts to "improve" them, but because they're just competent movies with imaginative special effects and basically no originality at all in their storytelling (but those were competently executed, which makes a big difference) 

I certainly don't think the prequels, sequels, and even the original trilogy were flawless by any means, I just don't see them as a dumpster fire like most do, and surely, yeah, they are both inferior products to the first movies. Then again, you also can't hold old movies to the same standards and vice versa, that involved missing the entire historical context they were built in.

But I still think the fanbase is a hopeless, giant cesspit, even so it still doesn't change my mind about it. Besides, with SW the very great stuff was never only in the movies alone anyway, it laid elsewhere. It was in the games, such as the KOTOR duology, Dark Forces, Jedi Academy, TV series like Clone Wars, and other forms of media, so I will never understand them, which I quite frankly really fucking don't want to. They are simply focusing way too much on the things they hate, and it's quite visible they love to hate them, they're not even trying to hide that fact. They desperately need to get over it once and for all.

Brake intensive racing games with tight turns are better than games which don't give them importance while mostly relying on straight-ish lines with a few easy turns for racing.

Braking and turns make the game harder and more intense and actually require a good brain. Also these races don't rely that much on the performance difference of your car and your opponents' cars. 

@The Strife Commando me neither. Some of the games are fun, but then when it turns into this whole good Vs. Bad, good and dark forces, it gets so boring. I just want a game where I can blast troopers in a sandy ecosystem, not a whole story behind it.

12 hours ago, Endless said:

PS2 is the greatest console of all time.

Fight me.

Not an unpopular opinion. I've always been at odds with myself as to whether my favorite console is the SNES or PS2.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

@The Strife Commando me neither. Some of the games are fun, but then when it turns into this whole good Vs. Bad, good and dark forces, it gets so boring. I just want a game where I can blast troopers in a sandy ecosystem, not a whole story behind it.

Then there's the Government actually doing something about loot boxes in games because of the new Battlefront 2. It has been a thing before that game was released, but they've done nothing about it. I'm willing to bet that if it didn't have the Star Wars name, the Government would have ignored it like any other game with microtransactions.

I always feel Sega and Nintendo seems to be always spending a good portion of their time shoving down 90s/80s references to their games.

Example: Super Mario Odyssey, I can tell you that you will see SMW and NES SMB1 references at points in the game. It seems to be a great game though, and the very first thing I would play the moment I get a Switch.

And as for the consoles:
PS1 is better than N64, but the latter has more high-quality games. And I believe consoles are one of the reasons why game modding became more hampered. I also think that the first 3D gen consoles aged far more poorly than the past and future gen consoles, with the PS1 the only console standing out (and even that suffered from piracy problems).

moon logic and 'dead man walking' scenarios have made most older adventure games nearly unplayable to more modern audiences, which is a shame cuz there is a lot of great artwork and interesting writing/characters in them 

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

I'm willing to bet that if it didn't have the Star Wars name, the Government would have ignored it like any other game with microtransactions.

This opinion is wrong.

4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I believe consoles are one of the reasons why game modding became more hampered.

Not really an unpopular opinion, most people usually cite consoles as a reason for why games don't receive proper mod support.

17 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Not really an unpopular opinion, most people usually cite consoles as a reason for why games don't receive proper mod support.

That's not the reason why.

22 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

How is this unpopular? They're some of the least favorite save systems according to people.

Yep, I realised that after I posted it...-_-

ah, didin't i told here already that SMB is not a good game? mainly because controlling Mario is a massive PITA. he is slow starter, and very inertial. also, just running left to right is boring. something like Manic Miner is infinitely better and fun.

For a sec zi thought you were dissing on my boy SuperMeat Boy. 

Edit : stupid phone auto correct. Not going to fix. 

2 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

The N64 controller is total ass.

Fun fact; the N64 controller was designed by Lance Barr (Nintendo of America) with the Japanese design team, with it only specialized for Super Mario 64 in Shigeru Miyamoto's mind.