Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

Doom 2's soundtrack is better than the OG.

the PSP is the best Playstation.

In My Head is the best Black Flag album.

Mario World is better than 3.

God Of War 3 is the best in the series.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone describe the N64 as forgotten. The main complaint I see is lacking 3rd party support, which isn't unfounded.

I guess forgotten isn't the right word. I often see people saying it's a cult-following like thing, where it was unpopular when it first released but gained fans later on. I guess that's true but I still don't see the N64 as all that great of a console.

8 hours ago, sandwedge said:

Retro fps with sprite enemies >>> 3d enemies

Hmm....not quite an unpopular opinion in a place called Doomworld.

20 minutes ago, Maes said:

Hmm....not quite an unpopular opinion in a place called Doomworld.

maybe not here but there seems to be a lot of love out there for quake style 3d retro shooters, possibly more than sprite based.  I don't find it as good, I just find the early chunky 3d to be less satisfying to shoot.  2d animations were a lot more expressive than 3d animations.  I was underwhelmed by Dusk, for example.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, GraphicBleeder said:

The N64 sucked and people shouldn't overhype it as some legendary forgotten masterpiece like they do.

I owned one, I played The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when it came out, when it was an absolute zenith of what was doable in videogames up to that point. 

That game alone justifies the N64 as a great console, but, it had plenty more. Did it have as many great games as the PSX? No, but were its best games better than anything on the PSX? I thought so at the time and I still feel that way now. The PS2 I consider to be the best console released (based on games library which ultimately is what this comes to) but for me the N64 is actually second behind it. 

Where I'd put the SNES if I charted it is probably where I'd be controversial, aside from placing the N64 so high. 

On 4/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, ChopBlock223 said:
  • Diablo is in many ways better than Diablo 2.

I'm playing D2 for the first time, and I'm astonished at how bored I am. None of the enemies pose a threat and there's no reason for me to spend or collect any gold.

I played a decent amount of Diablo 1, and I liked the slower positional gameplay. Diablo 2 so far is just monsters appearing, sprinting toward me, and dying in roughly two seconds or less. I've had more fun playing Progress Quest.

More of mine:

Back To The Future is just ok.

the Plasma Gun is the best Doom weapon.

Rondo Of Blood is better than Castlevania 4 (i am open to argument here)

BTSX ep. 2 is better than 1. (idk if it's unpopular)

First Blood is better than Terminator 2.

24 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

I'm playing D2 for the first time, and I'm astonished at how bored I am. None of the enemies pose a threat and there's no reason for me to spend or collect any gold.

I played a decent amount of Diablo 1, and I liked the slower positional gameplay. Diablo 2 so far is just monsters appearing, sprinting toward me, and dying in roughly two seconds or less. I've had more fun playing Progress Quest.

That is something i really love about Diablo 1, it just feels as if you could die, as Death lies hidden in every of the dark Corners.

Enemies feel more dangerous.

The slower style, atmosphere set by sound and the dark mood makes it feel much sinister.

I also like that the Lore isn't to much elaborated, has more ties to the real World and Stuff just stays in the Dark.

That lefts the Room of the Unkown in the Head of the Player.

It is just a really good Simulation of a small Village that got some evil Stuff going on that leads to the Devil itself.

Diablo 2 is a pretty great Game to play with Friends or other People online.

It was a Blast back then, super fast Baal Runs, killing so much Enemies in short Time.

And to have a controversial Opinion:

I love the Skillsystem of Diablo 3, it lets you change your Playstyle to not get bored.

And yes, Diablo 3 is old enough to be Retro :P

20 minutes ago, map11has2names said:

Halo didn't ruin FPS games.

Absolutely not. The campaign was kind of copy and pasted, and it did get boring. But it was an absolute blast to play in coop. 

"Alright, I'll drive the warthog, you get on the turret!"

"Okay, let's do this!"

And then I drive the warthog straight to a cliff and bail out at the last second while my friend says "What the fuck? You're a dick."

But while it had regenerating shields, health was finite. I think it was Call of Duty 2 that introduced regenerating health. And it was still a decent game, it certainly wasn't easy.

"Halo didn't ruin FPS games" is an unpopular opinion circa 2008 lol 

Just now, Jello said:

Absolutely not. The campaign was kind of copy and pasted, and it did get boring. But it was an absolute blast to play in coop. 

"Alright, I'll drive the warthog, you get on the turret!"

"Okay, let's do this!"

And then I drive the warthog straight to a cliff and bail out at the last second while my friend says "What the fuck? You're a dick."

But while it had regenerating shields, health was finite. I think it was Call of Duty 2 that introduced regenerating health. And it was still a decent game, it certainly wasn't easy.

i say this because most retro-fps fans say that Halo destroyed vidya games or something.

I can't remember if I've posted in here already, but here it goes:

Chrono Trigger is a great game, but maybe just a tad bit overrated.

Ocarina of Time isn't in my top five Zeldas, I liked Majora's Mask way more.

Final Fantasy IX is my least favorite of the Final Fantasy games I have played, and I've played FFII.

I find Super Mario Bros. 3 a bit overrated, I like SMB2 and SMWorld more.

I prefer The Terminator over Judgment Day.

I think I might like Predator 2 more than the original.

Gears of War was a thoroughly mediocre game that only got popular due to good timing.

Uncharted: See Gears.

The Grand Theft Auto series never got better than Vice City.

I couldn't get into Pokemon beyond the second generation.

Robocop 2 isn't that terrible a sequel.

I like Die Hard 2 more than DH With A Vengeance.

The only Western/Computer RPGs I ever liked were the first two Fallouts.

I was also going to add "I think Bioshock Infinite is my most hated game of all time currently," but I dunno if it's retro enough.

8 hours ago, Sotenga said:

I can't remember if I've posted in here already, but here it goes:

I like Die Hard 2 more than DH With A Vengeance.

Really? Sure the main villain of DH3 was notorious D&D hammaster Jeremy Irons, but I just assumed it's pacing issues were more obvious.

Anyway

Pulp Fiction is the most overrated movie of the 90s, Samuel L Jackson be damned.

I actually prefer the smeariness of the Nintendo 64 to the pixelation of the PS1. Sorry, but when even a limit-pushing game like Chrono Cross starts to show pixelation with some of the larger monsters, (this one with a padlock for instance), you don't have a system with better-looking games.

Halo definitely did NOT ruin FPS gaming - blame Halo 2 if you hate regen health I guess

Final Fantasy Vi might be a smidge-overrated. I don't think FFVII's story is significantly better, but the world building in that game definitely is (though not brilliant, FFX probably has the best in that department).

Sonic Adventure was actually a respectable attempt at a 3D Sonic (idk just how unpopular that is, but I just see opinions of "SM64 was the only game to transition to 3D right!" or something, and I guess I just think Sonic Adventure is close to as good as a game gets without being especially worth revisiting gameplay wise.

And on another note, I actually like Castlevania on N64, awful controls aside. The PS2 on the other hand...I haven't played it but I guess Curse of Darkness and the other one (Lament of Innocence) have metric tons of fillet content

Actually, I think I may like Super Mario World more than SMB3 as well.

12 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Really? Sure the main villain of DH3 was notorious D&D hammaster Jeremy Irons, but I just assumed it's pacing issues were more obvious.

Oh, Jeremy's Iron was great, don't get me wrong. But DH3 felt less... "Die Hardy" to me than the first two. I know that's a stupid complaint since it was lauded for being more original than the arguable rehash of DH2 was, but DH2 DID have Dennis Franz. Also, DH3's ending didn't sit right with me. They should have gone for the darker ending idea they had first. All this said, let me know if you come across anyone who thinks the last two DH films are better than any of the first three, haha.

For now, more hot takes:

I think the Rolling Stones is the most overrated band ever.

Shenmue was more interesting as a concept than functional as a game.

Mega Man 4 is my favorite of the NES games, even over 2.

I miss the Blizzard who made The Lost Vikings and Blackthorne.

DuckTales on the NES is just a smidge overrated. I'm actually more a fan of the Chip & Dale game.

I think I still like the original Resident Evil 2 more than its remake.

UmJammer Lammy > PaRappa the Rapper.

Silent Hill 3 gets a bad rap, and I almost want to say I like it better than 2.

Assassin's Creed was the game that ruined UbiSoft.

I'm not the hugest fan of Shadow of the Colossus.

Call of Duty never got better than 2, Modern Warfare irreparably ruined the direction of the franchise.

Sonic CD > Sonic 2.

1 hour ago, Sotenga said:

I'm actually more a fan of the Chip & Dale game.

Chip and Dale was a awesome game! Glad to see that little gem get some love. The boss music is simply unforgettable and had some of the best platforming controls on the NES.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, map11has2names said:

Halo didn't ruin FPS games.

I’d certainly like to think the “Xbox ruined games”, though! Emphasis on ‘like to’ because it’s still fairly and blatantly baseless, but I recently found out it only has 64 mb of ram, holy crap! Helps to explain the shift of some games like Deus Ex to Invisible War. It also helps explain the multiple minute load times I put up with for Morrowind…

7 hours ago, Sotenga said:

. All this said, let me know if you come across anyone who thinks the last two DH films are better than any of the first three, haha.

Lol, the titles just get stupider and stupider with each successive installment. The instant I saw the "A Good Day to Die Hard" trailer (that's among the cringiest names I can possibly think of, btw), I though it'd be trash (though I haven't seen it, thank god).

Now here's some more stuff. Believe it or not, I'm not used to talking about these sorts of things with other people, in part because none of my RL friends are really into retro game shit as a rule but anyway

Final Fantasy V is the best Final Fantasy (CHANGE MY MIND)

Tales of Phantasia is easily one of the best OSTs of the Tales series

"Battle of the Holy" is a far better track than most arrangements of "Vampire Killer" and certainly "Blood Tears"

Circle of the Moon has a better soundtrack than Symphony of the Night, barring a few exceptions (the song that plays in the Colisseum is quite possibly the best so-called piece of VGM I've ever heard)

Simpsons: Bart V the Space Mutants is not remotely a terrible game, though it does have the rather puzzling "zapping the mystery aliens to proceed" mechanic

Mike Scully is unfairly maligned for his tenure as Simpsons head writer.

6 hours ago, Smoothandz said:

Chip and Dale was a awesome game! Glad to see that little gem get some love. The boss music is simply unforgettable and had some of the best platforming controls on the NES.

@Altima would know that, I think:)

21 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Pulp Fiction is the most overrated movie of the 90s, Samuel L Jackson be damned.

I never got it's appeal. A bunch of unlikable characters talking way too much and the non-linear narrative felt more like a gimmick than actually necessary. I remember thinking at the end "really? That's it?" I don't care how good the characters are, if i cant find someone to like and empathize with i cannot summon the will to care about a story most of the time.

I find Tarantino on the whole a bit baffling. The only things i have enjoyed he's been involved in are Inglorious Basterds (i am very pro Nazi murdering) and From Dusk Till Dawn. But hey, different strokes and all that :)

1 minute ago, Murdoch said:

I never got it's appeal. A bunch of unlikable characters talking way too much and the non-linear narrative felt more like a gimmick than actually necessary. I find Tarantino on the whole a bit baffling.

The only things i have enjoyed he's been involved in are Inglorious Basterds (i am very pro Nazi murdering) and From Dusk Till Dawn. But hey, different strokes and all that :)

I liked Kill Bill and even Resevoir Dogs to a degree, despite the distrctingly salty language in the latter, but I have to agree here. From Dusk Till Dawn was...kind of a movie anyone could have made. And the premise was just laughably simplistic. Some criminals run to Mexico and run into vampires! That's the whole plot!

On 5/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, Sotenga said:

I was also going to add "I think Bioshock Infinite is my most hated game of all time currently," but I dunno if it's retro enough.

Amen brother, fuck Bioshock Infinite.

The SNES' video modes 0, 5 and 6 are awesome, and that interlaced mode in the SNES has some real potential despite what that one early game looked like.

3 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Some criminals run to Mexico and run into vampires! That's the whole plot!

Good actors can sell even a weak plot.

3 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

distrctingly salty language in the latter

Yeah. I have no problem with "bad" language but to quote the master of the craft Billy Connolly "you shouldn't swear unless you swear well". Tarantino dialogue often just sounds like it's being crass for the sake of it.

Amiga games were not so special (except music!) and most of the coolest were ported to PC anyway.

Dune by Cryo was a weak adventure game (except music! ... and pluses for pixelated MacLachlan).

Dune 2000 was an ok remake, but Emperror  was a very poorly done game (except music! ... no pluses for blocky Rhys-Davies).

Star Control 3 was an enjoyable game.

WarCraft and BlackThorne had better art direction than WarCraft 2 and latter Bliz games.

Also to respond to (and in a way agree with) @Woolie Wool, I have very recently spent considerable time with a 17" IIyama CRT, and must say that while I came in for non-square pixels, the damn scanlines were just getting in the way of appreciation! It was at ~1024x768 that they would not be noticeable, meaning that for most DOS games it was a choice for me of enjoying "intended" aspect ratio or not being distracted by the scanlines. I liked CRT vivid colors but I imagine with modern IPS monitors and superb scaling of modern GPUs the image should be quite on par with intended.

Personally I am sticking with a Syncmaster LCD for my VGA gaming as it has very good scaling and can be adjusted for richer colors (than stock settings) even if this means toned down brightness.

Edited by ludicrous_peridot

I've got some more:

• Age of Mythology is better than Age of Empires 2
  • Rome Total War is better than Medieval 2, in fact Medieval 2 fucking sucks if you play it vanilla
  • Kinda skirting the line for "retro" but STALKER Clear Sky is not bad, nor the worst game in the franchise, the worst one is Call of Pripyat and that one is a good game as well.
  • Gothic 1 is better than Gothic 2