Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

Ghostbusters isn't half as good as people say it is.

Temple Of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie.

Peace Sells is better than Rust In Peace.

Mafia is in no way a valid competitor to GTA.

PS2 is cooler than the PS1.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe is the best port of the original Super Mario Bros on any console

Postal 2 uses "edgy" humour too much to compensate for the bad aspects of the game

The GBA was better than the DS, it didn't rely too much on a gimmick and wasn't just used by Nintendo to appeal to a casual market and for devs to put any bad shovelware on

2 hours ago, enigma101 said:

Postal 2 uses "edgy" humour too much to compensate for the bad aspects of the game 

I wasn't aware that this was "unpopular".

I thought Postal 2 was 3edgy5me on release, but in the last few years I've come to appreciate the chuckles you can have with such a basic, prototypical sandbox such as it was. And I can forgive almost every aspect of its jankiness, but the missions spawning wave after wave after wave of muppets to grind through is pure tedium.

Spoiler

A shame they seemed to say "fuck it, more of the exact same thing" with Postal 4. But that's a tale for the "unpopular modern gaming opinions" thread.

I guess I can do what could be considered a "hot take":

Doom II: Hell on Earth with advanced engine mods such as GZDoom is a better game for single player and deathmatch than Quake 1(even with its modern official ports).

star wars and indiana jones are both pretty meh overall...i don't understand why people love them so much tbh

On 5/7/2022 at 1:39 AM, rzh said:

Rome Total War is better than Medieval 2, in fact Medieval 2 fucking sucks if you play it vanilla

):<

i will fight you

Edited by roadworx

While I'd argue it has a few more years to go until it's considered retro...the original Dead Space simply isn't that interesting/fun of a game. Played it when it was new and thought it was a solid 7/10 and I just replayed it 2 weeks ago and at this point I'd say 6/10 if I'm being brutally honest. Boring and cliched story and the game was about 2 hours too long. Terrible pacing and good lord the last 3 hours just dragged on and on.

Trespasser is enjoyable (but makes you sad because you are having a glimps at what could have been)

Chris Avellone's hatred of traditional romance fits him being a sex pest very well

Also Kreia is literally Star Wars Ayn Rand and everyone saying how "good" her writing is has never opened a philosophy book in their lives. Her spiel about giving the homeless guy money actually making things worse over the long term is every Randroid anti-charity argument I've ever heard. Get bent nerds 🤓

hero-themed beat'em'ups ala Rastan are better D&D adaptations than Icewind Dale is

On 6/25/2022 at 3:57 AM, yakfak said:

hero-themed beat'em'ups ala Rastan are better D&D adaptations than Icewind Dale is

If your goal is to simulate a D&D narrative where you're a mighty thewed warrior bringing bladed justice to a decripit sorcer plaguing the land, absolutely.

If your goal is to simulate a D&D party where no-one can coordinate for shit oh god they dropped the cleric let's come back for his body later just roll up another character, Carl, the Infinity engine games still do that better. 

Spoiler

I kinda wanna hear a Quake mod with the hups replaced by Rastan's jumping sound.

Edited by Daytime Waitress

Im going to say quake is better than doom but the entire doomworld they going to kill me so better not. 

14 hours ago, Ozcar said:

Im going to say quake is better than doom but the entire doomworld they going to kill me so better not. 

There are some that would agree. I think it does horror/serious better than Doom. 

Most RPGs are bad, but the so-called "golden age" of the late 90s/early 00s were the worst.

56 minutes ago, june gloom said:

Most RPGs are bad, but the so-called "golden age" of the late 90s/early 00s were the worst.

JRPGs or CRPGs?

Half-life 2 has aged like milk, it has the worst gunplay I've ever played in my life. The first half-life is far superior in nearly everything.

Edited by El juancho

3 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

JRPGs or CRPGs?

cRPGs. jRPGs actually had their high point in that period because they hadn't disappeared up their own ass to the point where being overdesigned and inaccessibly complex is an expected feature, not a failing.

2 hours ago, El juancho said:

Half-life 2 is garbage, it has the worst gunplay I've ever played in my life. The first half-life is far superior in nearly everything.

They have the same gunplay???

Have I explained before that I think Turok is actually abysmal?

I don't think Turok is fun, it's a mindless exercise where the combat is unsatisfactory and sometimes just painful and the platforming is that special 90's jank that inspires naught but abject misery (The Treetop Village is saddening).

The speed of the game would be nice if the level designers didn't feel like stretching corridors out to obscene proportions ("The Catacombs" didn't need 1 corridor that's 5 miles long, why is there 3 of them?).

And the final fight against a sponge was the most miserable fight I've had outside of Destiny 2, or comically the quickest non-issue when I whipped out the Chronosceptre and 3 shot him.

Turok 2 is a boat I daren't tread as the absolute labyrinth that was the Port of Adia mixed with the awkward uncomfortable combat scared me off about 40 minutes in.

Edited by mrthejoshmon

2 hours ago, june gloom said:

They have the same gunplay???

Not even, Half-Life 2's gunplay just feels soooo much better than HL1 to me. But hey, it is an unpopular retro opinion I guess.

A 486 SX/33 with 4 megs of memory and DOS 5 is not fast enough for playing Doom. I'm old, I remember it. Not good, even with PCI video it blew goats.

- piakachu (and subsequently raichu) is more chinchilla than mouse.
- all quake games benefit greatly from their distinct movement-related programming oversights, which can allow you to still have fun on multiplayer maps without the need for direct enemy opposition, among so much more.

- (apologies in advance, gen x) nevermind isn't that great of an album (but bleach absolutely is!)
- (15 years old is retro?) call of duty 4's multiplayer component got the whole "hitscanning things as accurately as possible for about a second" thing so right that it ended up ruining them for good.
- AQ2 is more fun than counter-strike
- ELO-based matchmaking has and will continue to ruin multiplayer video games, and the lives of those who obsess over their ELO rankings.

CRT/scanline filters on emulators/retro collections/indie games are all universally shit with no exceptions. I grew up in the CRT era and games did not look like that, especially with PAL tellys. I still have an old Toshiba and it looks nothing like any of the modern fake options. Hard pixel edges are the only style that looks good on HD/4K panels.

Same thing goes for uprendering of fifth-gen 3D games. Unless your emulator supports vertex/texture correction, in which case I'll allow it.

The Golden Axe dragon has nice, long, smooth, sexy legs.

image.png.f9ca0bc3304d466c607dabd01ed3d36b.png

....what? They really are.

image.png.1db36b5bc7acd5e5c421e82a508f4edd.png

Now that I think about it, those dragons were unusual in that they had pretty human-like leg joints, and not the usual "chicken walker" anatomy usually attributed to fantasy dragons, and seen on dipedal dinosaurs.