Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

On 7/11/2019 at 3:44 AM, Murdoch said:

Oh hi Kristus :) Been a while. How are you doing?

Hi Joel.

Glad to see you.

I'm doing well. Teacher for young children these days. Working on my own game called Doombringer and currently on vacation.

You?

Unpopular opinion. Quake 2 single player is great. Not even @Jehar agrees with this.

Some of these early games we worship suck because we didn't know as much back then about good mechanics or logical control schemes. 

SMB is boring, repetitive, and boring. and repetitive. they shouldn't reject the idea of giving Mario a gun.

13 hours ago, kristus said:

Hi Joel.

Glad to see you.

I'm doing well. Teacher for young children these days. Working on my own game called Doombringer and currently on vacation.

You?

Unpopular opinion. Quake 2 single player is great. Not even @Jehar agrees with this.

Awesome. Yes I am good. Same old, playing guitars, fixing computers, designing websites and a million other things.

I like Quake 2 single player. It's a solid game. Very straightforward and self contained. Bad alien cyborgs. Reduce bad alien cyborgs to a fine red paste. Repeat as needed. Quake is definitely a victim of it's botched development but in a strange way those failures kind of work in it's favour. The stylistic inconsistencies make it oddly intriguing. These weird, mismashed realms. Where are they exactly? What's their story? Who the hell actually is Quake? Really, it's no more or less detailed in either story or gameplay than Quake 2 but it leaves me wanting to know more. It is like you are getting just a taste of much bigger story, seeing just a slice of a much bigger universe. And that impression has come about far more by accident than intentional design I think. A more focused and better planned take on that material with more detail and lore would be wonderful.

I HATED Doom 64. It's popularity baffles me. I remember when I first tried it, it was like the marine had put on about 100 pounds. The control felt slow and awkward. Graphically it looked like an attempt to smash aspects of Quake into Doom filtered through the N64's technical limitations so everything looked blurry and indistinct. Level design was awful. I gave up on one level after I flipped yet another switch that did nothing obvious and I aimless wandered around for ages.

16 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

Losing all older video games and not being able to play them wouldn't be a problem. They are just video games.

History should be preserved.

It's ironic that you're saying this tbh, on a forum dedicated to a game series that made its debut back in '93.

22 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

Losing all older video games and not being able to play them wouldn't be a problem. They are just video games.

Please don't say that ever again.

22 hours ago, kristus said:

I agree. I love me some Quake 2 single player. Every so often I replay it all. It's been awhile since I've done that tho.

51 minutes ago, seed said:

History should be preserved.

It's ironic that you're saying this tbh, on a forum dedicated to a game series that made its debut back in '93.

This will be my last post on the subject, I don't want to start an argument.

I just feel there are more important things to hold on to other than possessions such as games. If for some reason someone said "you can never play Doom again", it wouldn't bother me too much. I mean, I'd want to play it again, but it's not a huge loss.

Anyway, I must just see things differently.

17 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

This will be my last post on the subject, I don't want to start an argument.

I just feel there are more important things to hold on to other than possessions such as games. If for some reason someone said "you can never play Doom again", it wouldn't bother me too much. I mean, I'd want to play it again, but it's not a huge loss.

Anyway, I must just see things differently.

I don't think that's going to lead to an argument :p.

I agree though, perhaps there are more important things to preserve, but it would still be a loss regardless of the importance. Just because they're games doesn't mean they're meaningless, that's what I was trying to say. It would be inconvenient but oh well.

Fortunately the old classics will never be truly lost as long as there is some way to run them on an emulator, which I think can be taken for granted for anything pre-Windows XP.

I am far more worried about the longevity of modern games that come with such a large amount of baggage that is bound to break them for good eventually.

2 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Fortunately the old classics will never be truly lost as long as there is some way to run them on an emulator, which I think can be taken for granted for anything pre-Windows XP.

I am far more worried about the longevity of modern games that come with such a large amount of baggage that is bound to break them for good eventually.

Me too.

Which worries me that games made today will probably be digital garbage in 20yrs...

On 7/8/2019 at 6:52 PM, scalliano said:

Super Mario Kart > all other Mario Karts.

Due to nostalgia that one is my favorite as well. Also, i've only ever played up to the GameCube one and i didn't like that one that much so...yeah haha! The N64 one is probably a very close second though and the Gameboy Advance one isn't bad either actually (imo) as it's similar to Super Mario Kart.

I'll jump onto the Quake 2 train here. Playing through it again, I'd say that Quake 2's campaign blows Quake's vanilla campaign out of the water in just about everything except atmosphere. Quake 2 has so much more variety in weapons and monsters which makes for a more entertaining and balanced experience, even if it's a bit on the easy side. However, if I were to compare any custom content then Quake quite cleanly destroys its sequel in just about every way.

Super Mario Kart > all other Mario Karts.

Mario Kart DS is the best Mario Kart game, change my mind.

8 hours ago, seed said:

Which worries me that games made today will probably be digital garbage in 20yrs...

that's why cracking scene is not really about pirating, but about having the game in a form that can be preserved. ah, and when i was younger, it was fun spending nights removing protection striked-out text is impossible to read, right?

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

that's why cracking scene is not really about pirating, but about having the game in a form that can be preserved.

It's about both, really, and both are legitimate things (now *this* in itself may be an unpopular opinion in a society where you are taught that copying software for personal use is a sin similar to stealing, and where the judicial system in many countries can actually get you in trouble for doing so).

Back in the days that CD checks were used as copy protection, no-CD cracks were also a convenience thing (not having to hunt for the CD to play the game, not having to worry about getting it damaged/lost).

tbh, idc about pirating software at all. it has been beaten to death, and GOG clearly demonstrates that selling games without DRM is not only possible, but profitable too. but i think that we'll derail the thread into "unpopular opinions about software piracy" if we'll go on with this talk, so let's pretened that those several last posts aren't here. ;-)

Rayman 2: The Great Escape is the greatest 3D platformer of its generation and to this day has few peers that reach its illustrious heights of quality and Rayman 2, a term derived from the title of the game that holds a meaning of utmost quality.

John Romero’s Daikatana ad, I never got the outrage. Some tongue in cheek reference to gamer smack talk which is frankly quaint in retrospect compared to what would become the norm post-Halo (racist and homophobic screeching 12 year olds) but suddenly that’s where the gaming community draws the line is John Romero’s ad poking fun at the kind of chatter that was already embedded in the multiplayer gaming community. It just sounds like mass hysteria to me, like one person gets all pearl clutching and then two more people agree and then 4 more agree with them and suddenly everyone is saying “omg wow yikes” because they want to be part of the in-group. It makes so little sense to me the reaction that I can’t see it as anything other then stupid in-group/out-group dynamics where a bunch of people, giddy with excitement about being outraged en masse, all decide to be like “grr I hate John Romero now”. Like when a huge thread would happen on Reddit and everyone would start playing internet detective patting themselves on the back as they dove deeper and deeper into nonsense.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:41 PM, seed said:

If people like a game or a service enough they'll probably find a way to mod it and, dare I say, crack it and disable whatever DRM is attached to it or continue to support it. it happened with WON2, it happened with Halo Online, and plenty of other games and services. but of course that requires a fanbase dedicated enough to do it.

I tried the Rayman games since I was craving more 3D Platformers for PC after playing Yooka Laylee, but they were just too linear for me.

16 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

John Romero’s Daikatana ad, I never got the outrage.

Although I find it highly amusing that a woman was responsible for it, you have to admit that it's a bit inappropriate for an ad to literally demand you suck off John Romero while calling you a bitch.

6 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

you have to admit that it's a bit inappropriate for an ad to literally demand you suck off John Romero while calling you a bitch

i see nothing wrong in it too. that could be offensive if taken out of context, and Romero maybe overestimated his fame, but knowing about Romero... ahem... talking style when he's playing deathmatch games, it looks like a joke that promises a fuckin' hot game, so hot that you won't be able to stop playing it.

so i am really offended by that ad, but not because Romero is going to make me his bitch, but exatly for the opposite: because he promised, and failed to do so!

6 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

It wasn't his idea. He didn't like the ad and even apologized for it in 2010.

eh, as i said, i have nothing against that ad, i think it was fun. wrongly targeted, though -- putting it in magazines was a wrong move, because not every magazine reader is Romero fan. ;-)

as for apologizing... if that makes people happy, then why not.

and to keep it ontopic: Daikatana is a good game, with innovative ideas. it *almost* did it.

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

putting it in magazines was a wrong move, because not every magazine reader is Romero fan. ;-)

Or likes the taste, for that matter.

- The Nintendo 64 wasn't that great of a console. It had a laughable game library and its controller was an abomination.

- Redneck Rampage is not that bad. In fact I'd say it's a very solid 7/10 game.

- Final Fantasy I is the best one.

5th generation console era (the era when 3D-capable consoles entered the market) is like the shittiest era in the game console history IMO.

1 hour ago, WalterAB said:

- Redneck Rampage is not that bad. In fact I'd say it's a very solid 7/10 game.

That game kicked ass