Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

I, for the life of me, cannot simply stand playing Nintendo games, I absolutely just can't stand playing them (especially older ones) and this is most likely because I do not get along with 2d platform games (which a majority of them are, older ones that is) or the fact that the mostly cute and innocent (MOSTLY) cartoony art style doesn't appeal to me.

Metroid looks appealing (sort of) but the rest just just do not tickle my fancy.

In fact now that I think about it I really don't like most 2d platformers, like at all, interestingly enough though I adore the first 2 Oddworld games and love many 3d platformers, figure that odd shit out.

Here's a few unpopular "Retro" opinions I hold (Tried to think pre 2010 for games):

1 - Half Life 1 sucks and Half Life 2 was not much better (though that may be down to gold source).

2 - I've never played Quake. Like, ANY of them. (not sure if that even counts as an opinion XD).

3 - Plasma Rifle is superiour to the BFG9000.

4 - Super Metroid is worse than Metroid Fusion.

5 - The only sonic 3D game I like is Heroes and even then it's not the best in the series.

6 - Megaman 1 - 6 Aren't that great. (Than again... NES... 'Nuff said >_>)

7 - GO2IT isn't the hardest level in Plutonia Experiment.

8 - Drake in Advance Wars isn't the worst Green Earth CO.

That's about it for now :P

I don't like JRPG's that much. Games like Crono Trigger and the millions of FF games look good art and story-wise but the gameplay never hooked on to me. It felt boring and too complex for my tastes. I really tried to play them more and like them but I just don't like turn-based combat that much.

Here's a take that I expect to get a lot of "git gud"s to: many older games' (mostly platformers') difficulty is not a merit but a leftover of the arcade era and a means to drag out extremely short titles for as long as possible, and said difficulty by no means makes them superior to modern games that offer a lot more variety and freedom of choice to a player.

4 minutes ago, ScreechingBoner said:

Here's a take that I expect to get a lot of "git gud"s to: many older games' (mostly platformers') difficulty is not a merit but a leftover of the arcade era and a means to drag out extremely short titles for as long as possible, and said difficulty by no means makes them superior to modern games that offer a lot more variety and freedom of choice to a player.

I agree with this so much. Difficulty is fine but all it matters is how fun the game is to you.

KOTOR 2 is better than the first in all areas.

The NES and the vast majority of its games have aged poorly and are overrated.

Active turnbased battle systems are figuratively cancer. I'm talking about systems like Chrono Trigger.

The DS was a crappy system, the whole dual screen idea is terribad. It is only salvaged by a big library and many Nintendo exclusives like the Pokemon, Metroid and Castlevania games. The PSP blows it the fuck out of the water with its screen+controls layout and general hardware. Almost all DS games would be better if ported on the stronger, widescreen PSP and stripped of their dualscreen and stylus gimmicks.

- Battletoads is the best game on the NES
- Zelda 1 on NES isn't that great
- Zelda 2 on NES is fantastic
- I'm pretty sure Megaman 2 is only considered the best because it's the easiest
- Pokemon Red/Blue aren't great, anyone who says they're the best is purely due to nostalgia
- Warrior Within is the best Prince of Persia game
- Amnesia: the Dark Descent is the most overrated horror game ever

"Wrong Side of the Tracks" (GTA: San Andreas) is not a hard mission at all.

It's not that hard, but it does suck, mostly because half the time Big Smoke just doesn't shoot properly. Plus hearing him say "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN", when you failed because he wouldn't shoot really annoys me.
That mini-helicopter mission, now THAT was a hard one.

3 hours ago, kristus said:

That's a lot of emotion directed towards a group of items you probably has not all played and can easily avoid.

Actually I've played quite a few (got a PC box set of about 80 Atari 2600 games when I was 7) and playing all the ones there made me quite groggy.

Okay maybe that isn't all Atari 2600 games, but I never got into a single one of those games.

Unreal Tournament 99 is the ultimate entry on the series that literally nothing can top and last UT was a bunch of bullcrap.

Commander Keen 1, 2 and 3 had awful controls and feel horrible to play.

Half-Life 2 was in many ways worse than Half-Life 1, and the few places that were actually way better were mostly Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt. (Man, i love Nova Prospekt)

Quake 1 is really boring, like a very watered down reimagining of Doom. Deathmatch was pretty good though.

Quake 2 was a good game.

13 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Master Chief (Halo) is a rip-off of "Doom Guy".

As someone who has never played Halo, for years I thought it was.

Unpopular opinion:

People don't like Mega Man as a series, they like Mega Man 2.

- NES games are awesome, also 8-bit > 16-bit (of SNES).

I actually wish I still had even my clone system.

Of all the Legend of Zelda games I've played, a Link to the Past is the worst one. It's the game that solidified the Zelda formula, yes, but it's Link's Awakening that perfected it.

I love the Legend of Zelda series, it's probably my second favourite game franchise after Doom, but holy shit that game has aged poorly.

1 hour ago, geo said:

As someone who has never played Halo, for years I thought it was.

Unpopular opinion:

People don't like Mega Man as a series, they like Mega Man 2.

That's just not true though. Mega Man 2's popularity is roughly tied with Mega Man X's. If it wasn't for the childhood nostalgia I have for Mega Man 2, my favourite would probably be either 3 or Street Fighter x Mega Man.

About 20% of these opinions are widely held opinions. 

Doom maps that feature cryptic progression or require wall humping give me a half-chub.

Super Mario Maker is a good idea with terrible execution. The control feels completely off/wrong compared to the real Super Mario 3 / Super Mario World.

Doom WADs that are 10 maps or less are the best Doom WADs. (Rule only applies in single player)

N64 games have aged better than PS1 games on the whole.

4 hours ago, 3saster said:

- I'm pretty sure Megaman 2 is only considered the best because it's the easiest

Agreed. The levels are pretty easy, yet really fun. A game doesn't have to be hard to be great though imo. I think it has a great balance to it but i personally like 3/4 a tad better imo. MM2 was the first one that i played due to hearing that it was the easiest and that was only a few years ago (i grew up with X, not the originals). I don't really like how Megaman takes an extra little "step" (or slide) every time you stop in 2. It's just another mechanic that you have to get used to i guess. I don't remember him doing that in 3 or 4, or any of the other ones tbh. I never did get far in MM1 though. It was just too hard for me.

4 hours ago, 3saster said:

- Pokemon Red/Blue aren't great, anyone who says they're the best is purely due to nostalgia

Nuh-uh bro. Leave muh nostalgia alone. I don't need 9000 Pokemon or 3D to make my Pokemon experience better xD

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

N64 games have aged better than PS1 games on the whole.

I think it's mainly how they look graphically. I find that a lot of the early PS1 games are actually really fun games but the graphics just make them look sort of dreadful to look at. Personally, i don't mind it as i've always had a soft-spot for early 3D graphics, especially in SNES games. It's also possible that since the N64 controller had a joystick, the games might of handled better than some early PS1 games too. But then again, i personally never really liked the N64 controller all that much so i don't truly know about that.

Anyways, a little story (sort of): I missed out on a lot of PS1 games due to owning a SNES & N64 instead although i didn't get an N64 until a few years after it came out ('98 or '99 i think). I choose an N64 over a PS1 as i remember being at Walmart or Target and my dad asking me which one i wanted. I said "N64!" lol! I just got the base N64 with one controller and my first game was "San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing" as i loved racing games. Little did i know that the same game was also on PS1. Oh well. No loading times am i right? ;) I remember playing that game all night...good times.

I don't own that game anymore but i do own the second one which i also had back in the day titled: "Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA". The stunt track is killer fun!

To be on topic: - I prefer Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter

I loved the RUSH games! Still play them once in a blue moon, there’s no other racing games quite like them.

8 hours ago, WalterAB said:

"Wrong Side of the Tracks" (GTA: San Andreas) is not a hard mission at all.

Agreed. Its difficulty is grossly overrated. I managed to beat it in my 3rd attempt when I first played it. Zero's missions were much harder.

Likewise the "Demolition Man" mission in Vice City is not a hard mission either. The hardest mission in Vice City was "The driver".

Quake 2 is more fun than Quake 1. The music and enemy animations alone gives me similar feels to Doom 2016.

Edited by Chezza

15 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

- i recently played Need For Speed: Underground and i'm glad i skipped it back in the day. the environments have little (if any) variety, the opponent catch-up system is annoying, and i hate the hip-hop tracks that play in the menu. The sequel is so much better, i still play it to this day.

Heh, since you brought this up, I actually find the original Underground more fun and engaging than UG2 ever is.

The music was far more boring to me in UG, and the sense of speed was also much worse than it is in the original, which makes racing later in the game an absolute chore (the airport URL events are annoyingly boring for one. Same for the bigger circuit tracks in Jackson Heights, you're not going to finish them this century.)

Customization was better in UG2 (UG1 has a bigger rice potential if you don't know how to customize your cars and actually make them beautiful) and even more expanded (NOS Purge, Hydraulics, customizable trunks, more body kits, vinyls, gauges, lights, Dyno Tuning, etc.), but otherwise there's not much that makes me prefer UG2 over UG1, and I'm always tempted to drop the game during the second half due to how boring it can get sometimes).

The music was also better in UG1, it really sold the illegal street racing and tuning theme. Not to say UG2 had a poor selection of soundtrack but god damn it some of the tracks were painfully boring (Rocket Ride makes me fall asleep while racing every time I hear it... ). UG's music actually made me want to race more, not go to the menu and disable some tracks... I enjoyed the menu tracks.

Bayview was overall a more impressive and detailed city with plenty of districts to explore (also Jackson Heights drifting, nothing beats that shit), but Olympic City was good enough for the scale of the game, it got the job done. Chinatown still makes me nostalgic sometimes. Both cities carry a cyberpunk vibe too.

Oh yes, rubber-banding was real in Black Box's early NFS games, notorious in UG1 actually. It gets especially frustrating after you unlock Turbo upgrades, that's the one thing that makes the AI go nuts and completely prevents you from leaving your opponents into dust anymore, something you could sometimes do early in the game. But frankly, that rubber-banding also made the AI challenging, so yes, it was BS, there's no doubt about this, but it kinda had a purpose. Kinda. UG2 had less severe AI rubber-band, but it was glitchy, this was especially noticeable in Outrun events in Free Roam. Just go to a junction and try to bait the AI by going into one direction but changing it in the last moment. If successful, see what happens. It is also not uncommon to see the AI crash into walls at rocket speeds during some URL events either.

tl;dr I actually prefer UG1 over UG2 for its actual gameplay, music, and intense races. UG2 definitely expanded and improved upon its foundation, but some things make me come back to it less than UG1. I'm still replaying it almost every year.

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (not to be confused with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel) is my favorite classic Fallout game and I think the scorn it recieves is unjust, I much prefer the real time strategic combat and the squad based gameplay.

I loathe 'retro' as a descriptor and think that if something remains enjoyable despite (or in spite of) its age, culturally-fetishising it is wrong because it's as okay for people to enjoy older things as it is The Hip New Current ThingTM.

There. That's my 'unpopular' retro opinion for the thread.

3 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

DOOM is extremely boring

Heresy!!!

34 minutes ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

DOOM is extremely boring, and Half-Life's singleplayer campaign is ass. 

Very weird opinions.

9 hours ago, Teabλg_Johnson said:

Hence unpopular. I can't stand these two games anymore.

You might want to check what the URL says in your address bar...