Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kinker31

Super Mario Maker 2!

Opinions on Super Mario Maker 2  

30 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you hyped for the game?

    • Yep!
      16
    • I'm holding off until I get more info on this game.
      5
    • Not really.
      2
    • I don't really care too much about the Switch, nor do I really care about this game.
      7


Recommended Posts

I know there isn't an awful lot of people out there who happen to have Nintendo consoles, but recently a sequel to Super Mario Maker (which is essentially an officially made Super Mario level editor) has been announced a couple of weeks ago, and I myself am quite excited to see the game come out! However, feel free to discuss anything related to Mario Maker here, or it's fangames or related games thereof. There also was the news that playing with friends online as well as amiibos isn't supported, which is kind of a bummer, but it isn't really like I've got much Switch friends who'd consider playing the game anyhow, and it's not like I use my amiibos all that much, so there's that.

 

[Below is the direct for this game.]

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Nintendo is the only console worth owning since I feel it's the only place with good gaming experiences I can't get something similar on PC.

 

I'm shocked playing with friends isn't supported and I have this odd feeling that the Nintendo Online stuff is just a bunch of bots with real user names. Make it send and receive some fake data to make it look like you're competing online. If you were allowed to play with friends online that would break the illusion.

 

The community wanted night levels and Nintendo went one better by changing the mechanics, which blew everyone's mind. They want something simple and Nintendo over-delivers to change everything. Yet the community will still complain about $20 online per year that just so happens to have 30 free NES games because they're not 30 free SNES games.

 

Lack of Amiibo support is odd, but they can patch that in later like people are hoping for a Super Mario 2 patch now that there are extra game themes that don't rely on being interchangeable. It's bad to assume things will just "happen" in the future. You get what you're buying.

 

I never played Mario Maker on Wii U as I went like 2 decades without buying a console. I did play the 3DS version and the courses made by actual human beings were terrible. Well the easy levels were too easy. The hard courses were stupidly hard and I say this as a person who can pretty well speed run most levels. That's the problem... you're playing gimmicky levels made by anyone. The 100 courses made by Mario were a lot of fun.

 

Back with SMX, those levels could be made by anyone, but releasing them publicly felt like those authors had a lot better grasp of good level design. Perhaps because there was a higher barrier of entry to make those levels.

Edited by geo

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

The game looks great as most Mario games tend to do so i'd have a ton of fun playing it i'm sure. I remember watching a ton of Twitch streams of the first one. I would definitely have a great time with this game as it's been at least a decade since i've played a brand new Mario game but i just don't really like the Switch all that much tbh though i get the "gimmick", it being portable and all. I don't really like the controller nor the lack of decent built in memory. Not to mention Nintendo's online infrastructure has always been pretty awful and now you have to pay for it too i believe. 

 

Other then that, Nintendo makes great games and hardware (quality wise). Possibly if those newer rumored "revision" or "slim" Switches come out, then it's a possibility that i'd pick one up in the future.

Edited by CyberDreams : changing what i wrote

Share this post


Link to post

This will very much be the game I put a shit ton of time into while I'm at the hospital waiting for my kid to be born. Looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post

Man, I bought Mario Maker and really, really wanted to love it, but the control feeling so different from the old Mario games just screwed me over big time.

 

Back when it was still feasible I was attempting to get within throwing distance of the speed running WR for the first Super Mario Bros, in the process I became intimately familiar with the controls and physics. I also played the everloving shit outta Mario 3 and SMW both as a kid.

 

Mario Maker has a gameplay feel that I can only describe as floaty, weird, kind of slow and just off in general. Trying to re-learn the feel of Super Mario Bros is just something I cannot do at this point, it’s engrained in me and frankly, I want to remain familiar with the real classic Mario controls as I find myself coming back to it or playing ROM hacks and stuff often enough.

 

Maybe there’s a “fix the controls lol” option that I was just missing or hadn’t unlocked yet or something. I really wish that was the case, but I doubt it. Would be such an awesome feature for those of us who are still used to the authentic 2D Mario platformers of the NES/SNES era.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Man, I bought Mario Maker and really, really wanted to love it, but the control feeling so different from the old Mario games just screwed me over big time.

 

Back when it was still feasible I was attempting to get within throwing distance of the speed running WR for the first Super Mario Bros, in the process I became intimately familiar with the controls and physics. I also played the everloving shit outta Mario 3 and SMW both as a kid.

 

Mario Maker has a gameplay feel that I can only describe as floaty, weird, kind of slow and just off in general. Trying to re-learn the feel of Super Mario Bros is just something I cannot do at this point, it’s engrained in me and frankly, I want to remain familiar with the real classic Mario controls as I find myself coming back to it or playing ROM hacks and stuff often enough.

 

Maybe there’s a “fix the controls lol” option that I was just missing or hadn’t unlocked yet or something. I really wish that was the case, but I doubt it. Would be such an awesome feature for those of us who are still used to the authentic 2D Mario platformers of the NES/SNES era.

I'm a huge Super Mario fan too and I hear ya. The controls/mechanics are definitely way different and 'floaty' seems like the right word for them when I think about it. I always felt that in a way but could never really pinpoint what it was lol

 

I loved the first Super Mario Maker so much. The controls are definitely different and I still find myself a bit confused when I load into a specific "theme" on different levels, especially the SMB1 levels because I feel like you can *realllllllllly* feel it in those. But when I remember how the mechanics are changed and I finally adapt to them a bit again I start to really enjoy the hell out of it. There's some real quality levels out there that you can find codes to download manually online if you get sick of a ton of random bs from the course world. Also, I feel like the ones that are of higher quality take advantage of the tweaked mechanics and really use them well which makes it more fun to play for me.

 

That said, the second one looks incredible! But I can absolutely see where you're coming from too :)

Share this post


Link to post

I'm hyped. Never played the first one (who owns a Wii U, lol), but I enjoy watching streams. From the videos SMM 2 contains so much new stuff, more than I (and apparently most everyone else) expected. Will be a day 1 buy for me.

 

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Man, I bought Mario Maker and really, really wanted to love it, but the control feeling so different from the old Mario games just screwed me over big time.

 

People say that all different game modes are just reskinned NSMB, so I guess it makes sense that it plays differently.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Man, I bought Mario Maker and really, really wanted to love it, but the control feeling so different from the old Mario games just screwed me over big time.

...

Mario Maker has a gameplay feel that I can only describe as floaty, weird, kind of slow and just off in general. Trying to re-learn the feel of Super Mario Bros is just something I cannot do at this point, it’s engrained in me and frankly, I want to remain familiar with the real classic Mario controls as I find myself coming back to it or playing ROM hacks and stuff often enough.

I can see where you come from, despite being more used to the more weird, floaty controls of the more newer Mario games. Having a certain gameplay style ingrained into you can get really awkward when the physics are changed slightly, though I'd imagine it was done that way to ensure only minimal changes will be made to allow the player to win the stage, regardless of game style.

 

I did hear Yahtzee claim at one point that the four game styles were essentially aesthetic changes only, despite the fact that the sliding/grabbing/flagpole mechanics and whatnot actually differ for each gamestyle. That, alongside potentially (or at least getting vibes of) claiming that those who actually like anything other than the games he likes are "pants on head retarded" is why I slowly ditched Zero Punctuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, kinker31 said:

I can see where you come from, despite being more used to the more weird, floaty controls of the more newer Mario games. Having a certain gameplay style ingrained into you can get really awkward when the physics are changed slightly, though I'd imagine it was done that way to ensure only minimal changes will be made to allow the player to win the stage, regardless of game style.

 

I did hear Yahtzee claim at one point that the four game styles were essentially aesthetic changes only, despite the fact that the sliding/grabbing/flagpole mechanics and whatnot actually differ for each gamestyle. That, alongside potentially (or at least getting vibes of) claiming that those who actually like anything other than the games he likes are "pants on head retarded" is why I slowly ditched Zero Punctuation.

I did hear someone from Nintendo claim at one point having different physics more accurate to the specific games was not only confusing the game's level switch system but players as well. It is a game for all ages, including kids and different physics might be incomprehensible to a child. The different games do have new mechanics, just not different physics. Mario 1 has a jump mushroom, Mario World, Mario can run up walls, can spin jump and cape. Mario 3, Mario can fly. New Mario can ground pound, float jump, has the high jump hat, and wall jump.

 

I never got that vibe from Yahtzee, it felt everything was a joke to him during ZeroPunctuation. He himself considered himself to be "pants on head retarded." He did drop out of high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Update: There's new stuff about Super Mario Maker 2 under the spoiler that not only reveals playing with friends online is possible, but, well, more gameplay footage!

 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

There's too much about Mario Maker 2 now. It's an avalanche. Still looking forward to it and I have to... since I bought it.

 

If Mario Maker didn't exist, I wonder if Nintendo could release an e-shop only SMB1 with new features like different tilesets and mechanics that still felt SMB1. Like SMB1 ice world. SMB1 desert world with SMB1 pokeys.

Edited by geo

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, geo said:

If Mario Maker didn't exist, I wonder if Nintendo could release an e-shop only SMB1 with new features like different tilesets and mechanics that still felt SMB1. Like SMB1 ice world. SMB1 desert world with SMB1 pokeys.

I was just saying this to my buddy yesterday. I almost feel like them having the Mario Maker games, it's them kinda just letting the classics go to the fans to do what we want now and focusing on the future. Which is awesome imo since we all want the classics to stay alive and the new games to keep on coming as Super Mario fans :) Couldn't be happier with this new one!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

I was just saying this to my buddy yesterday. I almost feel like them having the Mario Maker games, it's them kinda just letting the classics go to the fans to do what we want now and focusing on the future. Which is awesome imo since we all want the classics to stay alive and the new games to keep on coming as Super Mario fans :) Couldn't be happier with this new one!

Or the fact that New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe was so deeply discounted so close to launch might prove people are done with 2D Mario games. Then again that game is a 7 year old rerelease.

Share this post


Link to post

Nope.  Anything with the Nintendo brand made after the Game Cube can go fuck itself. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×