Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MetalDoomGuy

Probelems with NonEuclidian Teleports

Question

I'm making this map and the teleport works, but its acting like the receiving teleporter is too small, and you have to fidget around to get in and out of it.

there's a video of what is happening, and I will also attach the wad file as well.

Hellish Escape.zip

5 answers to this question

You need enough space behind the portal line special. The player is 32 units wide, but the space behind your "exit" is only 24 units deep. Change it to at least 32 and it'll work fine. Note that this of course also applies to monsters, so you'll have to make the spaces behind your portal lines big enough for them to pass through.

1 hour ago, boris said:

You need enough space behind the portal line special. The player is 32 units wide, but the space behind your "exit" is only 24 units deep. Change it to at least 32 and it'll work fine. Note that this of course also applies to monsters, so you'll have to make the spaces behind your portal lines big enough for them to pass through.

Would this still do this if I had it as JUST a Line def?

38 minutes ago, MetalDoomGuy said:

Would this still do this if I had it as JUST a Line def?

You mean without space behind it? No, you always need that (unless your portal is on a polygon).

Boris is right. A Thing doesn't go "through" a portal until its center passes the Linedef. Up until that point, its width just pokes past the Linedef. If you have a solid wall, you'll bounce against the wall before your center can pass the line. 

Something I like to do is texture the "behind the portal" sector something really obnoxious, like Brick11. That way you know at a glance what should and shouldn't be visible when playing the map, and if you ever see any Brick11 when testing, you know something has gone wrong. 

For those who are interested, I initially added an option to allow portals on one-sided lines because there was demand for it by modders, but had to remove it again because it just doesn't play nice with how Doom's collision detection works - it frequently caused quite severe glitches. The void space behind the portals is absolutely necessary to make them robust.