Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noisebloom

DoomRL (Roguelike)

Recommended Posts

Did anyone ever play DoomRL? It's a roguelike of Doom, basically:

 

https://drl.chaosforge.org/

 

I haven't poured that many hours into it over the past few years, but as a fan of roguelikes (e.g. NetHack) and Doom, I think it's very well done, and the sprite work is on point (looks almost exactly like you'd imagine).

 

Highly recommended here to anyone that enjoys classic roguelikes.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to ply DoomRL a few years ago. I searched for it recently and was surprised to see it had a makeover with sprites, as I had only played it with ASCII characters.

 

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to play at all on my Mac - seems like a well-known issue from searching. Haven’t gotten around to running it in boot camp yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I loved Doom RL, I think the creator was ordered to stop working on it though.  For anyone interested the creator has been working on a new roguelike that is in no way like Doom at all: Jupiter Hell

Share this post


Link to post

He wasn't ordered to stop working on it, but he was ordered to remove all Zenimax trademarks from the game and the associated website, and also to release the source code for the game. The game is still freely available however. Which by media corporation standards, is very generous.

 

Officially the game is called DRL now, instead of DoomRL. Great little game. Spent too much time on it. :)

Share this post


Link to post

i'm not into roguelikes at all, but for me DoomRL is the greatest exception to the rule.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for sharing this OP. I love roguelikes! 

 

On 6/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

He wasn't ordered to stop working on it, but he was ordered to remove all Zenimax trademarks from the game and the associated website, and also to release the source code for the game. The game is still freely available however. Which by media corporation standards, is very generous.

 

That's incredibly generous, especially since Zenimax is so big. Funny that they sued Mojang years ago for using the name "Scrolls" for one of their games.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Nymbus_Hustle said:

 

That's incredibly generous, especially since Zenimax is so big. Funny that they sued Mojang years ago for using the name "Scrolls" for one of their games.

Yes it is, isn't it? I don't know why they would sue Mojang over the use of the word 'Scrolls', but then be so forgiving in regards to DoomRL. My guess is that there was a change of personnel internally. One CEO-type a few years ago decided to make an example of Mojang, but a newer CEO-type was more of an actual creative/game designer rather than a number cruncher and understood the gray areas of commercial creativity and allowed ChaosForge to leave DRL up, within certain parameters. Maybe.

 

The trouble with large companies is that they tend to be run either by, or with heavy influence from, accountants and lawyers. If it is done right, this is a good thing. It protects your ass, so you can do the fun stuff of actually creating games. But done wrong, it becomes unfair and domineering, and the decision making is left in the hands of those who know nothing of actually creating a piece of work, with all the risk and 'messiness' that such a thing entails. But the reality is that if you want to be a financially successful creative person above a certain level, you really have no choice but to be heavily partnered with lawyers and accountants. You have to take their advice and use their expertise. Unless you want to spend every moment of your time reading and understanding contracts that may be dozens if not hundreds of pages long, and then also taking care of the financials, meetings with concerned investors who will also want influence, etc etc. And sometimes they will give you advice, and sometimes you will just take their advice without challenging it too much, because to not take their advice can put a lot of things at risk.

 

I've worked in the music industry and seen plenty of this kind of thing go on. Don't even get me started... 0_o

 

In this instance, huge props to Zenimax. Maybe some of their lawyers are human. Who knows? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Yes it is, isn't it? I don't know why they would sue Mojang over the use of the word 'Scrolls', but then be so forgiving in regards to DoomRL.

 

I think the main difference is that one is a commercial entity and the other a hobbyist. Or maybe just that one chose to ignore a C&D and the other tried to sort out the matter in a forthcoming way.

 

Those lawsuits are normally always the second step, the first being some C&D, telling to cease doing something, or else... If someone choses 'or else...' it will normally end in trouble. Do I need to point out "Ion Maiden"?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

 

I think the main difference is that one is a commercial entity and the other a hobbyist. Or maybe just that one chose to ignore a C&D and the other tried to sort out the matter in a forthcoming way.

 

Those lawsuits are normally always the second step, the first being some C&D, telling to cease doing something, or else... If someone choses 'or else...' it will normally end in trouble. Do I need to point out "Ion Maiden"?

 

 

 

In my experience, which is admittedly limited almost entirely to the music industry, it made no difference whether someone was a hobbyist or a commercial entity, the principle remained the same. The only difference was the resulting losses, or gains. And it was usually a first step.

 

But that said, I know nothing about how the gaming industry works. Thank you for your reply. You make a fair statement.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it depends on whether someone wans to stop the other party from doing what they do or to just get some money. With a C&D you can't get money.

Share this post


Link to post

Right, the only on making money on c&d letters are lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/17/2019 at 4:00 PM, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

 

How so?

because stonesoup is an awesome RL which was also the first one I played. so I was disappointed playing doomRL. the other way around would have been way better

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, termrork said:

because stonesoup is an awesome RL which was also the first one I played. so I was disappointed playing doomRL. the other way around would have been way better

I may try stone soup. I have heard of it but never played it. Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×