Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyVader1138

Making a Sigil IWAD

Recommended Posts

Okay, I would love to make a special IWAD of The Ultimate Doom that has "Sigil" built in as the fifth episode and everything. Does anyone know how to pull that off?

Share this post


Link to post

I suppose you could copy all the lumps from DOOM.WAD into a new WAD, then add in the contents of SIGIL.WAD and then create an IWADINFO. It should work fine I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Nevander said:

I suppose you could copy all the lumps from DOOM.WAD into a new WAD, then add in the contents of SIGIL.WAD and then create an IWADINFO. It should work fine I imagine.

Could you give me a little more detail, please? I'm very much a noob when it comes to modding.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't. You're not allowed to redistribute the original assetts contained in "ultimate Doom", which you would have to do to create an iWAD in the first place.

Sigil's (G)ZDoom iteration already has a fifth episode slotted in, which also shows properly when loaded alongside ultimate Doom afaik, so what you're looking to do there at least partially exists already, and the reason it exists partially is because legal stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Don't. You're not allowed to redistribute the original assetts contained in "ultimate Doom", which you would have to do to create an iWAD in the first place.

Sigil's (G)ZDoom iteration already has a fifth episode slotted in, which also shows properly when loaded alongside ultimate Doom afaik, so what you're looking to do there at least partially exists already, and the reason it exists partially is because legal stuff.

I have zero desire to distribute it. This is for my own personal use. Also, I just like the idea of it being selectable on the IWAD selection screen without me having to find the Sigil file and opening it directly. That's all.

Share this post


Link to post

Open SLADE.

Create new WAD.

Open DOOM.WAD.

Select all lumps, copy and paste into your new WAD.

Open SIGIL.WAD.

Select all lumps, copy and paste into your new WAD once again.

Do the same for the Buckethead music if you want.

Finally, set up the WAD as an IWAD that GZDoom can see by using IWADINFO.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/IWADINFO

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Open SLADE.

Create new WAD.

Open DOOM.WAD.

Select all lumps, copy and paste into your new WAD.

Open SIGIL.WAD.

Select all lumps, copy and paste into your new WAD once again.

Do the same for the Buckethead music if you want.

Finally, set up the WAD as an IWAD that GZDoom can see by using IWADINFO.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/IWADINFO

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post

I heard Wadsmoosh will be adding Sigil support, but that only works for GZDoom.

 

I'd love to make an EE smoosh, but I had difficulty even trying to load a custom iwad.

It's clearly doable though.

Think about it, we should be able to make a compatibility file for Harmony and Chex 3 as well.

 

But yes, right now the option is to just use Slade.

Might I suggest removing the title music and title pic for an Iwad version.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Seems like an awful lot of effort when you could just load it as a PWAD. What exactly are the benefits of making it into its own IWAD?

I can just open GZDoom and make an impromptu decision to play it.

Share this post


Link to post

Why not just make it a default wad in your wad launcher of choices loadout?

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I can just open GZDoom and make an impromptu decision to play it.

As said above you can have it autoloaded on start-up. No need to move it around each time. An alternative would be to make a shortcut to GZDoom with:

-iwad Doom.wad -file *your version of sigil*.wad

as your parameters.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Kira said:

As said above you can have it autoloaded on start-up. No need to move it around each time. An alternative would be to make a shortcut to GZDoom with:


-iwad Doom.wad -file *your version of sigil*.wad

as your parameters.

Yeah, I just tested that on my own and it does work a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post

If you modify DOOM/DOOM2.WAD, you won't be able to play multiplayer with others without reverting the file. Just in the future, keep the urge from doing so again.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Glaice said:

If you modify DOOM/DOOM2.WAD, you won't be able to play multiplayer with others without reverting the file. Just in the future, keep the urge from doing so again.

If I did do this, I would be careful and back it all up. But thanks to me testing something/a good suggestion above, that's no longer an issue and I won't need to combine them.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Glaice said:

If you modify DOOM/DOOM2.WAD, you won't be able to play multiplayer with others without reverting the file. Just in the future, keep the urge from doing so again.

That's the thing though, you don't modify the original IWAD. You instead create your own PWAD with all the same lumps and then integrate SIGIL into it, then make it into an IWAD manually yourself.

Share this post


Link to post

There IS one problem with leaving it in the command line parameter, though: it screws up the skies in other WADs.

18 hours ago, Nevander said:

That's the thing though, you don't modify the original IWAD. You instead create your own PWAD with all the same lumps and then integrate SIGIL into it, then make it into an IWAD manually yourself.

I still am very confused on how to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Glaice said:

If you modify DOOM/DOOM2.WAD, you won't be able to play multiplayer with others without reverting the file. Just in the future, keep the urge from doing so again.

 

If you have the Steam (or similar digital version), this isn't a problem as you can get more IWAD files by reinstalling the game.

I have a question though, instead of repacking the IWAD can't you make a zip or PK3 instead?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

OP, I understand your feelings toward having a complete IWAD with Sigil. Sigil is the true Romero episode, and it's the episode 5 we never got. There's just a novelty to having the whole thing in DOOM.wad. Being able to click it and run a full five-episode Doom. We live in pretty exciting times. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

There IS one problem with leaving it in the command line parameter, though: it screws up the skies in other WADs.

 

You should use this shortcut file only if u want to play Sigil. For playing other mapsets, just use the main exe file of your preferred source port.

 

Personally I have batch files for different mapsets. For playing Sigil with GZdoom, I have a .bat file that contains the following line:

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom.wad -file sigil.wad

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I still am very confused on how to do this.

It's really not that complicated. You don't want to modify the IWADs, so that means you instead copy everything inside it into your own new WAD. Now it has everything that the real IWAD does, but now it's no longer the real IWAD.

 

However, now you can add whatever you want alongside it (i.e. SIGIL) as an "extended IWAD" by simply incorporating the lumps from SIGIL into your new copy of the IWAD.

 

Once that is done, you need to tell GZDoom how to read the IWAD. That is where IWADINFO comes in.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Nevander said:

It's really not that complicated. You don't want to modify the IWADs, so that means you instead copy everything inside it into your own new WAD. Now it has everything that the real IWAD does, but now it's no longer the real IWAD.

 

However, now you can add whatever you want alongside it (i.e. SIGIL) as an "extended IWAD" by simply incorporating the lumps from SIGIL into your new copy of the IWAD.

 

Once that is done, you need to tell GZDoom how to read the IWAD. That is where IWADINFO comes in.

To me it is as I have no idea how to do it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×