Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SusMcNutt

My First Doom Level

Just finished making my very first doom level. It is a medium-sized level for The Ultimate Doom and It is intended to be played with vanilla doom. I've been wanting to get into map-making for a while and thought i'd give it a shot. I'd love to hear any feedback, so please let me know how I could make my maps better.

Download link

Edited by SusMcNutt : I left out Necessary information about the wad

Screenshots? Map information? Recommended source ports? What IWAD is it for?

After messing around for a minute I figured out that it's supposed to be played in Ultimate Doom, but nowhere in your post does it say that. If you make a post asking people to try out your map, at least add some basic information and screenshots.

Welcome to wad making. Have fun.

About the map, here are some random thoughts as I played:

• Having a sky ceiling the same ceiling height as a different flat ceiling looks weird in most cases. It looks like the ceiling has no depth at all.
  • In most cases, you want the sides of doors to be set to "lower unpegged" to prevent them from moving up and down with the door proper. You do this "correctly" on the blue door, for example.
  • The dark room with humans facing away was interesting with the one alerted cacodemon. I baited him into clearing out the entire room for me without shooting. It was kinda fun. Not sure if that was the intention, but it worked.
  • On the automap, you can mark linedefs as "secret" and they will appear as impassable walls. Otherwise the automap gives away that there's more than meets the eye.
  • Nice little red key trap.
  • Again, the imp and demon room allows you to ponder how you're going to tackle the room, knowing that it's about strategy.
  • The baron teleported away immediately, but that was for the better. That room was grindy enough with two cacodemons in a big room. In the next room, I sicked the baron on the cacodemon and then on the imps, as I had done before with the cacodemon
  • Usually standard teleporters are given teleport action on all passable sides, not just one. I thought I somehow broke the map in my quick replay.
  • Finished 96/100/0
  • I played on Crispy Doom and everything was fine, so I can't say it won't crash in vanilla, but it's definitely theoretically vanilla at least. 
  • It's a bit of a different genre from a lot of first maps. It's short and to the point. It has a simple progression that works fine. There does not appear to be a lot of concern with making this thing look pretty, yet it's not far off from a decent vanilla aesthetic. The attention was clearly focused on the gameplay, which is not at all the almost mindless placement of random monsters that a lot of first efforts (self included) are.
  • There's nothing extraordinary here, but this is a good start
  • My standard advice for new mappers:
  1. Worry more about gameplay (layout, progression, and encounters) than about visual detailing. I think the latter comes more naturally as you play more stuff and just figure out the editor.
  2. Figure out the editor. Learn what you can do. Learn the shortcuts for curving lines, auto-aligning, changing brightness, etc. It will make you much more efficient in the long run.
  3. Make more of these shorter maps as you continue growing into a mapper. You'll get more valuable feedback from the community and you'll focus on one or two good concepts instead of making a huge, empty map of consecutive rooms that no one will even want to finish.