Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dubaCRO

Top 10 MUST PLAY Non Slaughter Wads?

Someone pls tell me top 10 absolute must play doom wads that are not slaughter wads,thank you. Intrested in ur guys' opinion.

interesting question, mostly because some of the best megawads i know of (for example: sunlust, scythe 2 and a couple others i cant recall the names of) have a couple individual maps that get slaughter-y so it really depends. also how vanilla and how difficult are you looking for?

12 hours ago, boatboat said:

interesting question, mostly because some of the best megawads i know of (for example: sunlust, scythe 2 and a couple others i cant recall the names of) have a couple individual maps that get slaughter-y so it really depends. also how vanilla and how difficult are you looking for?

yo,i am up for a challenge,as long as there is only a few maps with slaughter in them then i guess its ok,like alien vendeatta,which had 5 or so of them

Thanks for the link @Bryan T! Been looking for top 100 but every time Google directs me to Cacowards. There's even a few on there that I don't recognize.

Back to saturn X is a definitive must play, there's also valiant and ancient aliens (both of which get slightly bloody but aren't slaughterwads overall, really). If you don't mind heavily modded stuff, try adventures of square, which is basically a total conversion mod (though that might not be entirely accurate/doing it justice).

Since I don't play much wads (I always complete 1-2 wads before moving on to something else), and since you don't specifically list the requirements, here are my top 9 (can't think of 10) must-play wads (TCs/PCs included) (Not a ranking)

1. Skillsaw Trilogy. (Lunatic, Valiant, Ancient Aliens - the latter 2 have some maps that get hectic, but yeah). There's also Vanguard (which doesn't fit here.)
  2. REKKR. (A Doom 1 partial conversion megawad, medieval-themed.)
  3. Impossible A New Reality (a short wad that will make your head shaking.)
  4. Doom The Way id Did series. (2 megawads that try to create maps base on id's Doom mappers' mapping rules/styles.)
  5. Operation Body Count (A remake of Capstone's game with the same name.)
  6. UAC Ultra. (A wad with a weird color pattern. May get hectic at times.)
  7. Epic 1. (An Egypt-themed wad. Featuring aliens, spaceships.)
  8. Dimension of the Boomed. (This wad recreated Quake's maps in Doom.)
  9. Innocence X series. (Doom with a horror vibe. Used PSX Doom/Doom 64 sounds. May get hectic at times.)

Spoiler

A slaughterwad that I personally liked is Going Down, made by a Youtuber who produces weird videos and have a weird theme and storyTM . The details put on some maps are amazing. 

I'm a bit bias here so I marked this as a spoiler. Still, try it out with quicksaves.

Btsx 1 and 2

uac ultra

ancient aliens

sunlust

Valiant

they are some of my faves that I keep going back to play. 

Yay for complex doom

There's a million really good Non-Slaughter Wads and I am certain I am forgetting some here.

I am naming both Doom and Doom II WADS here, off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

1) Knee-Deep in ZDoom (which I am currently paying for the 1st time and it's awesome!) (Ultimate Doom)

2) Jenesis (Doom II)

3) Back to Saturn X Ep 1 and Ep 2 - Both are  my absolute faves (Hurry up Ep 3!!!) (Doom II)

4) Lunar Castastrophe (Ultimate Doom)

5) Dark Encounters (Doom II)

6) Doom the Way ID Did (Both Doom and Doom II versions and The Lost Episodes)

7) Legacy of Heroes (Doom II)

8) Titan I and Titan II (Doom II)

9) Avactor (Doom II)

10) Dimension of the Boomed (Doom II)

Edited by dylux

Back to Basics by Espi

Crusades by Richard Wiles

2002ADO by various

Inferno by Christopher Lutz

Castle of Evil (castevil.wad) by Stanley Stasiak

AliensTC by Justin Fisher

Outpost21 by Scott Amspoker

Doomsday of UAC (UAC_Dead) by Leo Martin Lim

Galaxia by Pavel Hodek

Eternity by Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath

There's also personal favorites like Diopatra, The Lost Doom Episodes (Jupiter40), etc.   but all of the above are for Doom and non-slaughtery though they may not have aged well in some cases.

Memento Mori 1 and 2 (more 2)

Rebirth

Darkening 1 and 2 (not megawads, but still good)

1monster (there are a couple of maps that you might consider to be slaughtermaps at first because of the number of monsters, but they are large maps)

Requiem

Strain

Eternal (if you're into switch hunting)

The Community Chests

Nullspace