Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Quake II RTX: Official Announce Trailer

Digital Foundry did a pretty in depth look at this a few months back when it was in beta.

Looks cool. The best looking port I've tried was Q2XP, but that had a few minor kinks I wasn't a fan of. Now, will this run on a 1060 or does it need a fancy new GPU to even work?

It's interesting to see the technology applied to an old game whose limits are well known, obviously, it also completely disregards and destroys Q2's atmosphere, at least it looks way better than other projects that attempt to hamfist modern techniques onto the squiggly md2s.

Wow.

I still think RTX kinda overdoes the glossiness, to the point where everything looks like it's coated in a thin layer of Vaseline, but it still looks good regardless.

It's a radical transformation for sure.

I understand the rocket launcher explosions are probably a great way to show off the effects, but there is ALOT of random rocket firing in that trailer that probably wasn't needed.

tenor.gif

The technology itself is cool, I guess, but this looks awful. It's brighter than the sun and just looks ugly to me, soulless. They totally messed up the game's art style and atmosphere. I would much rather replay Q2 with a faithful source port like Yamagi.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

Yeah it's way too bright and glossed up. It needs more grit, not more shine. Needs the darkness kept in. I'm not sure why it's apparently hard to do, or developers don't know what looks good to us anymore.

Honestly if you want an experience like this that you can actually run and enjoy, use Quake II Berserker.

56 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Honestly if you want an experience like this that you can actually run and enjoy, use Quake II Berserker.

And you don't need an RTX card for it.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

Looks better either in Yamagi or KMQuake II to me.

Same here. Either Yamagi or KMQuakeII

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Same here. Either Yamagi or KMQuakeII 

Or rather: Either Yamagi or Yamagi

---

The technology is impressive, although the GPUs are not powerful enough so heavy filtering is necessary that creates rendering artefacts, but it looks wrong: The areas are either too dark or too light and, like @Nevander said, it lacks the grit that makes it look like a Quake game.

Looks like Serious Sam hacked in to Quake II grunt's locker.

I adored, adore and will always adore vanilla Quake 2 look (with "gl_round_down 0" in autoexec.cfg to make game look more detailed). On my laptop with ATI graphics it's not too dark in OpenGL on default settings!

I'm still not really sure what to make of it, myself. The technology itself is certainly quite impressive, and will no doubt require a monster processing chip. I definitely prefer it over Berserker Quake 2 and Darkplaces Quake 1 when all the graphical effects are set to max. 

the technology is nice, but I can't really say I like the look of it that much. Oh well, not that I'll ever be able to play it since I haven't sold my soul to nvidia...

I don't know...I'm not quite fond of it..

Besides, I have AMD/ATI hardware.

I agree with the sentiments expressed here. The tech is certainly amazing, but man, that is NOT Quake 2... Stroggos is not a bright and sunny Egyptian temple with clear skies (derived by how cleanly the sun is piercing everything). In fact, isn't Stroggos supposed to be an industrial wasteland? Doesn't that mean there would be a lovely layer of smog blocking of a lot of the direct sun light? 

The brightness is also just destroying the grungy overtones. Again..definitely neat that they CAN pull it off, but it's lost it's soul in the process. 

I liked it until I learned I need an RTX. Now I hate it.

Spoiler

JK. It looks interesting at least.

My laptop died a while ago and I splurged and picked up an RTX one. I never really got into Quake 2 but I am pretty stoked about this, I'm willing to cut the resolution in half just to check out the ray-tracing.

2 hours ago, Marn said:

Am I the only one that unironically considers this an improvement? The original hardware accelerated Quake 2 was ugly as shit.

Oh strictly on a  technical level, sure, it is an improvement. Can't really deny that the lighting at work is 'better' on a  rendering point. The problem is that it's ignoring any of Quake 2's art style/ direction. The new lighting takes away any sense of being on an alien world, much less an unimaginably polluted alien world. 

It looks too bright and sunny.  The moody orange lighting from the OpenGL renderer fits the theme of the game better.

Also, a number of (minor) texture issues have been added:

1995918502_Untitled2.png.5cda23e07b9268f49c9d2f04fdb4e63f.png

Misaligned textures (look at where the grating meets the wall in the RTX version on the left).

917272477_Untitled3.png.ee58fec047305a2932a49ff0e00e6129.png

Ugly rainbow artifacts visible on textures (note the red, green, blue, and purple splotches).

1443745343_Untitled4.png.5cf696b96d0198434433d8744241ad25.png

Another newly-misaligned texture.  This is just sloppy.