• E5M2: Sheol
    • E5M3: Cages of the Damned
    • E5M4: Paths of Wretchedness
    • E5M5: Abaddon's Void
    • E5M6: Unspeakable Persecution
    • E5M7: Nightmare Underword
    • E5M8: Halls of Perdition
    • E5M9: Realm of Iblis
  2. 2. What is your favourite Buckethead track?

• E5M1: Romero One Mind Any Weapon
    • E5M2: 13th Floor
    • E5M3: Buildor 2
    • E5M4: The Patrolman
    • E5M5: Cold Frost
    • E5M6: Melting Man
    • E5M7: Far 5
    • E5M8: Poseidon 4-6
    • E5M9: Fastpass
  3. 3. What is your favourite Jimmy track?

• E5M1: Hate Machine
    • E5M2: You Ain't the Boss o' Me
    • E5M3: Quell the Beast
    • E5M4: Riot Squadron
    • E5M5: Alice
    • E5M6: Besieged City
    • E5M7: Watching You
    • E5M8: Easel
    • E5M9: Adrenaline in the Blood

Hello! I'm new here, and come here with a poll. What's your opinion, what is the best level, the track and the best midi?

Bonus question: What is your rating?

I give it a 10/10, deeply impressed by the layouts, the eyecandy graphics, the vintage style. Romero is still THE Doom designer.

Favourites:

Level: E5M6 with E5M5 close second

Soundtrack: E5M6 again

Midi: E5M9 but E5M2 is close second

8/10, very solid.

I feel like since Romero seems to be relatively uninfluenced (is that a word?) by more modern developments in Doom mapping like modern Boom/MBF megawads or Realm667-type projects (not a criticism of either, btw), the mapping style ends up feeling fresh and unique. I feel like this cramped, oppressive map design is pretty uncommon ground in Doom mapping nowadays, with more influence on larger, wider, prettier areas and larger hordes of monsters, whereas in Sigil the environment is as much of a threat as the demons themselves. I really think this episode brings back some aspects of oldschool Doom that some people may have forgotten about, in favor of brute force, giant hordes, the "RIP AND TEAR" mentality, etc more in the vein of the Final Doom IWADs than the id games themselves  (besides a few moments like Hunted, but you get it).

The crusher trap gets on my nerves mostly since it seems to start back up randomly after I stop it, with me in it, with seemingly no reason why. Like I'm not walking over the other one, it starts well after I'm out of that room, and it only happens sometimes, while otherwise it's fine... don't know what's going on there? Also the boss fight is kinda weak though to be fair you don't get much to work with in Doom 1 in terms of monsters. Still love the hell out of that episode and would love to see Romero do another one.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

7 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The crusher trap gets on my nerves mostly since it seems to start back up randomly after I stop it, with me in it, with seemingly no reason why. Like I'm not walking over the other one, it starts well after I'm out of that room, and it only happens sometimes, while otherwise it's fine...

I didn't check linedefs and sectors with DoomBuilder but:

Spoiler

I noticed I had enough time to run the whole distance if I just avoided the spots where the monsters were standing.

On the other hand I think parts of SIGIL were reminiscent of Plutonia, though not voluntarily I reckon. Plutonia is actually very economical and places monsters in ways that are going to have you managing threats from multiple angles/directions at the same time. Plutonia maps actually have fewer monsters than in a Doom 2 map on average, but they tend to be higher tier.

SIGIL did something similar in spirit, though it's more by virtue of being Romero's E4 maps pushed further, because Plutonia is indeed way more run'n gun than what we got there.

As for the vote, I didn't have any opinion on the Buckethead soundtrack but the field was mandatory so I voted for E5M1, since I enjoyed it. I can't put a rating for SIGIL, but I'd say it's the E4 I kind of wanted, although there are bits I wasn't necessarily very fond of (like the crusher maze, it's so noisy, Jesus).

All music is very good.

E5M6 was the best map.

Overall, I really love it. It was what I expected in the best way possible and was something I had been wanting for a while: a good old fashioned classic Doom level. I mean Doom the Way id Did never did capture that feeling for me but "Sigil" did.

My favorite for all three things in the poll was E5M1. Just a damn good first level with two excellent tracks.

18 minutes ago, Kira said:

I didn't check linedefs and sectors with DoomBuilder but:

Hide contents

I noticed I had enough time to run the whole distance if I just avoided the spots where the monsters were standing.

Spoiler

Sure enough, the spot where the spectre was standing triggers the crushers again when you run over it. I'll remember that.

Also, since I didn't mention it before, I picked E5M5 as my favorite map, though E5M6 is very close.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The crusher trap gets on my nerves mostly since it seems to start back up randomly after I stop it, with me in it, with seemingly no reason why. Like I'm not walking over the other one, it starts well after I'm out of that room, and it only happens sometimes, while otherwise it's fine... don't know what's going on there?

That same thing happened to me while i was almost out of the way of them! They just randomly restarted and squashed me after i had them lined up perfectly on my first try! I actually had no issues with that whole section unlike most people seemed too except for that one unlucky death (on HMP). But yeah, after that death i had to re-line up the crushers which took a little bit and then i just bolted across. Thankfully this time it didn't restart.

I'm not going to vote or write a review just yet as i want to replay it again and try to find most of the secrets at least and not save as much. I was pretty tired when i played it and save scummed a tad toward the end, even on HMP which is what i played it on. I will say that i totally loved it though!

Currently haven't finished E5M6 yet (UV), still haven't found level that would not make me sick. I have heard Buckethead's soundtrack on youtube, i think it's awful. I loved all Jimmy's tracks.

My favorites

map - E5M5: Abaddon's Void

Buckethead track - E5M5: Cold Frost

Jimmy midi - E5M2: You Ain't the Boss o' Me

I'm glad people like E5M6. Honestly, that's an artwork of a level IMHO, the vibrant colours matched with the infernal dark looks amazing, and the level plays well, the Minotaur Labirynth is really memorable, but I really start to appreciate the first half of the map as well. I also love E5M5, it's also highly artistic, despite the abstract areas in the buildings. E5M7 is another great, and somewhat underappreciated level, it was the meaty, penultimate one with all around adventure. The ending is a bit questionable, but learnable as well, I think other than the Barons after the yellow key room, it's fair play. It should have been placed between M4 and M5 thematically, because it's less dark, has less feel for closure, just simply big and adventurous.

As for music, I'm in a total different view as most here, I think "Romero One Mind Any Weapon" is my least favourite track for this game, it annoys the hell out of me. I also don't like "Hate Machine", it's also an annoyingly loud track for me, but it seems I'm alone with this. I frankly expected more votes for "Melting Man", "Adrenaline in the Blood" or even "Easel" or "13th Floor". At least people like "You Ain't the Boss o' Me", that was a great track.

7 minutes ago, eulo said:

E5M7 is another great, and somewhat underappreciated level, it was the meaty, penultimate one with all around adventure. The ending is a bit questionable, but learnable as well, I think other than the Barons after the yellow key room, it's fair play. It should have been placed between M4 and M5 thematically, because it's less dark, has less feel for closure, just simply big and adventurous.

I feel you, but I think the placement is quite good. The adventurous style and Jimmy's music made it feel like finding a path out of the deepest reaches of Hell after moody levels like E5M5 and E5M6 (that are my favorites as well), which contributed to my enjoyment.

If the effect was intentional, it might explain why E5M8 is kind of anticlimactic, as a bridge to Doom 2.

My problem with Sigil is the overuse of the eye switch and the way every map ends. There's nothing wrong with using the environment to hide a switch, but when every map does it, it takes away any real sense of exploration. With every map, if I'm missing a secret, I know to go back and just look for the eye switch I missed. Compare that to some of the earlier episodes where secrets felt a bit more organic in a way. Likewise, every map basically ends with a big room with barons. Fine, but again, starts to feel a bit stale.

And I much prefer the MIDI to the Buckethead music.

E5M7 is my favorite, loved the finale with the teleporting trough previous areas, like they were "memories". The best MIDIS for me where E5M7 and E5M9, mysterious and fresh, respectively.

E5M4. I love how the map was split into three different challenges. I know some people have problems with the crusher section, but I love gimmicky sections like that, gives a very adventurous feeling to Doom. Also it looks pretty with all the red lights and techy stuff around.

My favorite level is Abbadon's Void, but others are not yet decided since I haven't finished my playthrough with Buckethead musics. I'll come back and vote later.

I really enjoy running through the first three levels, but then quit at E5M4. It's like Map05 in Doom II. Just a shift in what I was just playing. I find M4, M5, and M7 to be less fun to play through than the rest, but I love the setting of M5. After playing through the set multiple times, I have to go with "Halls of Perdition." I just love that blocky wooden city with all the jumps. I adore punchy levels like that. My second favorite is probably "Sheol." I think the secret level is pretty cool too, and it's easy to not face the cyber on HMP, just don't shoot after opening the blue door.

My favorite Jimmy track is E5M9: Adrenaline in the Blood. I know it's crazy but there's a melody line that reminds me to another classic Doom track: "Deep into the Code".

Haven't heard the Buckethead soundtrack yet so can't vote.

I thought Sigil was really damn good, felt like a great continuation of Doom. It's hard to pick a favorite map as it's really consistent in quality, but I guess E5M3 is probably my favorite. Favorite midi is probably either Hate Machine or Riot Squadron.

My favorite level is E5M4 because i really like the path choice gimmick

E5M6 is a close tie, i like that level a lot too

My favorite song is "Romero One Mind Any Weapon"

I think Sigil is a decent wad.

I think my only issue with Sigil overall is its way too cramped in some areas...

If there was a bit more space and openess i kinda would of liked it even more