Right now, I would (almost) trade my copy of Doom for any of these:

- Galaga
 - Cyberball
 - Robotron 2084
 - Juno First
 - NBA Jam
 - Q-Bert
 - Donkey Kong

Haha, I wouldn't go to David J. for any predictions about the future, especially regarding the longevity of games!

Seems like he was an old-school golden age arcade dude who preferred games that have no end state other than "game over." His mindset back then would be so foreign to most modern gamers.

Just now, Gunstar Green said:

Haha, I wouldn't go to David J. for any predictions about the future, especially regarding the longevity of games!

Seems like he was an old-school golden age arcade dude who preferred games that have no end state other than "game over." His mindset back then would be so foreign to most modern gamers.

It's funny how the games he complains about (Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Doom) all have new editions being released 25 years later. Meanwhile, Cyberball and NBA Jam are dead.

I'm hoping to find some of my own old posts doing this as an ongoing thing, I'm certain I had some hilariously wrong prognosticating as well.

Eric Yick Leung, DOOM GOD, is challenged by John Romero, Master of the Universe. I really want to know how this match turned out.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/bNwvmpIFJ3A

> I Eric Leung  have won multiple DOOM ladders and tournaments.

> I have met with only putrid feable competition. I cannot be stopped,

> I cannot be FRAGGED. I  am  the best and I am BORED.

> I have had a network setup here at my residence at the

> University of British Columbia and suffice to say Eric Leung kicks

> multiple ass. I am so good no three players combined can stop me.

> I frag them all
>  

> I practice 12 hours a day. I only sleep and go to university lectures.

> I take wake up pills to keep playing. I clearly am the best and can

> probably take any one of those ID boys. I am Eric Leung "KING OF DOOM!".
> Please someone phone me and DOOM me. Someone Better than all those

> useless competitors from the Vancouver area. This is a direct

> Challenge to everyone expecially the texas doom tourney champs,

> John Romero of ID soft.

>

> Please someone  worthy call me to DOOM.

> "I can take you all, kick you ass and take you wallet". So to speak.
>  

> You ask me if I have a GOD complex, well quite frankly

> I am GOD, DOOM GOD.
>  

> E-mail me and lets doom.  I am Eric "Pook-Gai" Leung, King of DOOM.

> My phone number here in Vancouver B.C.  can be obtained if you email me
>

Eric:

You may be a DOOM GOD, but I am the Master of your Universe and all that bow  
down to you eventually bow down to me.  Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my  
knob after having beaten all who challenge you.  Do you dare take on your  
master, pitiful DOOM GOD?

Email me and request your ass beating, if you have the balls.

19 minutes ago, deepthaw said:

we want only the Internet to be the beta testing "site" for this version

Ah the halcyon days when the actual full Internet was a minor backwater...

Last update for the day. RIP Doom 1993-94. Who are we to question "readers of the internet?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/i2rlRsSdCbM[1-25]

Finally:  Doom is DEAD.

This weekend the TOP100 games chart, compiled by the readers of the internet has declared the strategy game: UFO, Enemy Unknown as the highest rated game above Doom.  That means that  the highly celebrated "Doom" was the number one for only 28 weeks (compared to Civilization which was number one for 44 weeks and is still number 3). Soon, Doom will drop even further since it has only a limited replay value for most people.  It was a good game, but the best game yet? Most people don't think so.
You may say that it is not fair to compare Doom to a strategy game, which is generally more addictive and has much deeper gameplay. But Doom has also an advantage:  it is shareware and therefore more accessible for voters.

And might I mention how absolutely awesome the early-mid 90's were for PC gaming? UFO/XCOM, Civilization, Doom? Those are *still* some heavy hitters.

1 hour ago, deepthaw said:

Yes, even YOU, Eric, kneel and drink my knob

This is somehow both vulgar and awfully courteous.  And a mental image I really didn't want!

4 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

you've beaten all the bad guys, it's over.  You've won.  There's little

I like how he says this, but prefers games like Galaga to Doom. Even though doom has mods and deathmatch, while Galaga doesn't and is basically just killing the bad guys.

I remember beating Dragon's Lair with my ex and thinking "Damn, I'm glad I'll never have to beat this again" lmao

Reading these posts from the 90's reminds me of reading graffiti from Pompeii, it all reads like it's ancient and makes them sound silly hahaha, but it's dope that Doom has such a breadth of archived history. Clearly, the people who thought Doom wouldn't last or have an impact were extremely wrong.

Edited by Nymbus_Hustle

Guy complaining about E2 and E3

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/VtLODSedrFs

Spoiler

O.k. I received my registered copy of DOOM last week.  I had been reading the
complaints about the violence in the SHAREWARE version, but having played AND 
ENJOYED the first episode very much, I decided to get the other two.  Imagine my 
surprise when I turn a corner and see a twitching body on a stake, a severed leg, 
as well as several other scenes of torture.

This, to me, is too much.  I cannot enjoy playing the third episode because of 
the graphic nature of the torture!  So my basic complaint is that the last two  
episodes exceed the standards of violence set in the shareware episode and I 
feel that I was led to believe that the last two episodes wouldn't be any worse
than the first one, when in fact I found the images to be much more disturbing.

So here I am, awaiting a Doom editor so that I can remove these unsightly 
images from my WAD file.  Perhaps next time, ID would be so kind as to make the
shareware version of the game a LITTLE bit more representative of the 
registered version?

Oh man, that is hilarious.

“Look, I can handle chaingunning through hundreds of undead soldiers, spilling their blood all over the floor while knowing full well some of them probably have families that don’t even know they are dead back on Earth. No problem. I don’t mind shooting them with rockets until there’s nothing left but a pile of guts and bones. Child’s play, really.. But a severed leg?! That’s just going too far!”

Prudes always amuse me, they draw their lines in such weird, arbitrary places!

Back at work, avoiding work, so let's do some more "historical research" while waiting for my coffee to kick in.

It's February of 1994, Doom has been out less than a year, and for some reason, putting Barney in the game is already ridiculously popular.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/Vu9suQA_QFI

Hello,

I'm looking for two files - possibly nonexistent - which are Doom/Wolf3D homebrew patches.  Has anyone heard of either of the following?

BarneyStein3D - from what I hear, the guards are Beavis & Butthead, and the final guard is the purple bastard himself.

Doom w/ Army Of Darkness sounds -  Basically Doom with all the good sounds from Evil Dead 2 and AOD.

If anyone knows an ftp site where I can get these, I'd be much obliged.  Please reply either through this newsgroup or through email!!!!Thanks again!!!

This one's legitimately interesting, and ties into the recent discussion on mouse-use: a poll on controls, circa January 1994.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/yJW8ReGxD6M

I use the keyboard as well.  As for alternate controls, if you've ever played a fast and furious game of NetDOOM, you would realize very quickly that to use anything but the keyboard == instant death.  Also, the shift key must be held down constantly.  

I'll let this one speak for itself. (Actually, we do have VR goggles and realistic gun controllers in this distant future of 2019, so somebody's bound to be able to answer this guy's question.)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/_yFPnIiCpC8

If they ported doom to a  computer with virtual reality goggles, and realistic gun controler, what would be the best drug to take while playing it?
Pot is usualy a good choice, along with shrooms.

Apparently, version 1.2 was taking a bit longer to release than expected. Hope they finally got those real programmers.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/_iy9E3gz1S8

Ya know....I'm really sick of this shit.  Two weeks, two weeks, two weeks. Fucking gonna be two years before you know it.  You either need to get some real programmers working for you or fuckign don't give us this "two week" shit.  I'm tired of being lied to...I think we were told this because they want to create some hype or something.  Fuck that...  FUCK YOU ID!

(As an aside, literally 90% or so of the posts to alt.games.doom in the timeframe I'm looking at are people asking for help getting Doom to work via modem. It was kind of black magic at the time.)

We have a long (80+ message) discussion on Satanism within Doom, when Greg Lance Cymbalist sums it up as:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/DM4fD-iUTvE

I think the sheer politically-incorectness of Doom is a large part of its appeal.

William Ferrell (pre SNL maybe?) is tired of people joking about porting Doom to everything under the sun. If only he knew what the next 25 years would hold.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/qh7GV-LB0lQ

For God's sake this is getting _extremely_ old! This thread constitutes almost half this damn newsgroup now!

It was funny for a little while (especially the DOOM on the abacus... >%-) but now it's getting stupid.

Please lay off this dead horse.

Gotta get back to work and playing Doom on my phone now. Going to jump back into late '94 for my next batch since early '94 is mostly people trying to get their modems to work with Doom.

1 minute ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

The funny thing is that I was born in 1993, which means I can tell how old Doom is based on my own age.

I can't help but feel like your reaction to reading all this is something like "I wonder how differently people discussed stuff online when I was born?" *reads* "People haven't changed a god dammed bit!"

13 hours ago, Linguica said:

I would love if you kept doing this, this sort of ancient internet history is always fun.

I plan on it - just got done peeking through January/February '94 and not much of interest there. People were still busy trying to get their modems to work for deathmatch. Gonna jump to late '94 for my next batch, once I wade through the mess of people complaining about leaked/pirated copies of Doom 2 (or DooM ][ as we all called it back then.)

That's also the time Descent/ROTT were out, so lot of fun discussion/debate threads about them to dig through. (Quake will destroy Descent, because Quake's characters use TWO HUNDRED POLYGONS so realistic!)

the responses from Romero to Eric are priceless!

I sometime used to peep through those archived Google Groups for feedbacks on classic 90's music albums, such a big chill to read people's feedbacks back in them old days.

I can't help but feel like your reaction to reading all this is something like "I wonder how differently people discussed stuff online when I was born?" *reads* "People haven't changed a god dammed bit!"

Oh yeah, stuff like when reading about Quake 1 in the 2010s and there were people responding in the 90s like "Lame, this just feels like it's Doom 3, ID has stopped innovating."

Haha, this is indeed very interesting and funny in an odd way. Thank you very much for providing these.

I've seen some of these, especially the Eric Yick Leung one which i posted a pic of in the random images topic a few months ago. Some pretty interesting (yet sometimes funny) topics. Keep findin' the good ones people ;)

4 hours ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Oh yeah, stuff like when reading about Quake 1 in the 2010s and there were people responding in the 90s like "Lame, this just feels like it's Doom 3, ID has stopped innovating."

The Duke 3D vs. Quake flame wars were epic.

13 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

The Duke 3D vs. Quake flame wars were epic.

I have to admit I was originally on the side of Duke 3D. System requirements were lower, and the increased interactivity were huge in my eyes. I didn't realize how much of a technological jump Quake was, and I was too poor to upgrade to a computer that would run it well and really appreciate it for some time.

If you were into deathmatch, Quake was an absolute revelation. If you just wanted a good single player game it was easier to see the arguments for Duke at the time. Now we're far enough removed from the era that it seems almost silly to pit them against each other.

The top 100 DM WADS! ... circa 1994. I'd love to find one of the non-DM lists floating around from that time and see if we can dig up any of them on /idgames.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/WaNqgdN-Tso

===========================================================================
    G = Game Play                       T = Type (Action/Hunting/Both)
    D = Design                          W = Weapons at skill 1 (0-4)
    # = Recommended Minimum # Players   M = Monsters at skill 1 (0-5)

G D Name      Map   Released  #T WM  Short Description and Comments
- - --------  ----  --------  -- --  ----------------------------------------
+ 9 markroom  E1M1   4-15-94  2A 30  Dark arena w/steps -x
+ 7 ledges    E1M1   4-20-94  2A 34  Tunnels around a main room +D2
+ 6 shadows   E1M1   4-11-94  2A 40  2 small rooms connected w/halls -X
+ 5 house     E1M1   5-28-94  2A 40  Simple house design, no furniture -X

9 7 butt      E1M1   6-17-94  3B 44  Wood arena, shadow snipers +SM -X
9 7 ihrke2    E1M1   7-22-94  2A 34  Pit w/ledges and crusher -x (dmihrke2.zip)
9 7 ledges3   E1M1   6-07-94  2A 34  2 rooms w/ledges, stairs, & elevators
9 7 peace     E1M1   5-18-94  2B 40  Based on Shadows
9 6 cor81     E1M1   5-31-94  4A 40  Corridors w/side rooms. Invs walls -X
9 5 corr2     E1M1   5-31-94  2A 40  VSml. Cross shaped. Light switch -X
9 5 circle    E1M1   7-13-94  2A 30  A circle w/guns in outside doorways. -X
9 5 hitmeinf  E1M1   7-20-94  2B 31  One lrg oval room w/obsticals -X

Following up an earlier discussion on the top 100 PC games in 1994, here's a list compiled by ... some guy on the Internet. Voting was involved, from what I can tell.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/GBx5fzy6tKM

==============================================================================
 The Net PC Games Top 100                Edition 82 - Week 30 - July 25, 1994
==============================================================================
 TW   LW   NW Title                      Developer/Publisher(s) Cat  ID Points
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1 (  2)^ 32 Doom (+hacked add-ons) {S}                     Id AC [1386] 553
  2 (  1)  14 U.F.O.: Enemy Unknown (+X-Com)  Mythos/MicroProse ST [1437] 491
  3 (  3)  82 Civilization                           MicroProse ST [1002] 335
  4 (  4)  42 Master of Orion                 SimTex/MicroProse ST [1344] 334
  5 (  5)  28 SimCity 2000                      Maxis/Mindscape ST [1399] 246
  6 (  6)  16 Raptor: Call of the Shadows {S}     Cygnus/Apogee AC [1434] 205
  7 (  7)  79 VGA Planets {S}                      Tim Wisseman ST [1131] 118
  8 (  8)  73 X-Wing (+Imperial Purs.,B-Wing) LucasArts/US Gold AC [1169]  74
  9 (  9)  55 Syndicate (+add-on)      Bullfrog/Electronic Arts AC [1271]  79
 10 ( 12)^ 80 World Circuit (+F1 Grand Prix)         MicroProse SP [1123]  98
 11 ( 10)  17 Ultima 8: Pagan            Origin/Electronic Arts RP [1401]  79
 12 ( 13)^ 38 Epic Pinball (+Silverball retail v.) {S}     Epic AC [1359] 101
 13 ( 11)  24 Pinball Fantasies  Digital Illusions/21st Century AC [1416]  75
 14 ( 14)  50 Warlords 2                                    SSG ST [1284]  87
 15 ( 15)  33 IndyCar Racing                     Papyrus/Virgin SP [1375]  87
 16 ( 16)  70 Nethack 3.1 {F}                           DevTeam RP [1186]  67
 17 ( 17)  43 Privateer (+Righteous Fire)   Origin/Electr. Arts AC [1337]  74
 18 ( 28)*  6 THE SETTLERS (+Serf City)           Blue Byte/SSI ST [1458] 149
 19 (  -)*  1 TIE FIGHTER                     LucasArts/US Gold AC [1473] 103

Did overclocking in 1994 seriously involve replacing oscillators on the motherboard? Gotta max out those 486's, folks.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/drBivYZkruQ

'Overclocking' a cpu involves removing an oscillator (the clock) from the
motherboard and replacing it with a faster one.  I would not suggest you
increase your clock rate be more than 33% in this fashion.  Why?  Well,
the faster the clock runs, the hotter the CPU gets ... and the hotter it
gets the sooner it will blow.

Josephv216 is rooting for the enemies, because it's unfair that Doomguy can take two or three shotgun blasts to the face, but zombies die in one. You're doing the lord devil's work there, Joseph. And his modem isn't working.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/Y08xdPP1rlY

Does it seem to anyone at all unfair that in DOOM, a player can sustain at
least two or three direct shotgun blasts at close range, but even a
lightly armoured sargent falls from just one hit?
Also, what's a good init string for playing DOOM at 14.4 on my internal
USR sportster?  I've been having major difficulties with mine.

Moar controllar warsz!!! Apparently mouse users are "wimps."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/NQ9LUqAUXGI

Over the past week, I've been reading a lot of the posts here dealing with each poster's controller of choice.  Mouse users say that to be good, it is necessary to use a mouse, keyboard users call mouse users "wimps," and gamepad players seem to just hang out and let the other two battle it out.  I, myself, have been using a gamepad for a few months and consider myself a very good player after having played a good assortment of deathmatch opponents.  But,I have been wondering if perhaps I can get even better by using a mouse.

Already, I can do the circle strafe and everything I have ever need with the gamepad.  But, am I missing out on something else?  Mouse users say that they can get amazing "speed" when turning.  While this may be all right, what is the true practical purpose in it?  And, what else can there be done with a mouse, besides circle strafe (which I can do with a gamepad)?  Remember, as it says in the instructions, "you don't need the reflexes of a hyperactive 8-year old to win...using your wits is important."  

Students, in room 666 you'll be able to attend DOOM202, ethics in deathmatch.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/lnf4pbqRNyE

I was curious about how other people play deathmatch; what "rules" do you 
follow.  For example,

- If you are armed to the teeth, and you come against someone with
           just his fists (or even a pistol), do you just blast him?

- If someone dies and enters the game (teleports in) right in front
           of you, do you blast him in the face, or give him a chance to
           get a real weapon.

- If you are playing against someone who has never played deathmatch
           or worse, never played Doom, do you launch a rocket into his back
           at every opportunity to show your Doom prowess?

I'm just asking out of curiosity.  The way I play is, if the person has just
his fist, I use my fists.  If he has a pistol, I use a pistol.  If he has
anything above that, *anything* is fair game.

Also, if someone is new to the game, or Deathmatch, I will use only my pistol
until he is good enough to defend himself.  I'll also make sure that I let
him kill me a few times, just to give him a taste of blood to ensure that he
will want to play again.

People were really looking forward to Quake.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/V-j653Pt9Gk

I just woke up from a long nap.  (Too many long hours of playing DOOM!)  And while I was sleeping, I just had my first QUAKE dream! It was cool.  QUAKE could play mods.  QUAKE had large spiral stair-cases with railguards that you could fall over or look thru! QUAKE had a lot of dark and scary scenes.  It was great.  Long live QUAKE!
  This was not my very first QUAKE dream I have to admit.  A few days ago, I dreamed about a two man game that started out on a  ship.  (The upper deck of the bow side to be exact).  We were carrying some really strange guns that were long cylinders with a flat circular plate at the end.  This blue electricity/flame stuff came out of the end.  Anyway, we went down stairs with rails into the innards of the ship.  It was very dark so we pulled out flash- lights.  There was lots of junk on the ship like tables and cobwebs and metal stuff.  Then all of a sudden this huge, ghostly hand came and tried to grab us.  I switched to a long bladed chainsaw. When I hit the hand with the saw, it did very little damage.  Then it grabbed me and crushed my life out.  Game over man!
  On the latter dream, for some reason, I thought it was called  Lemmings.  But I know that I was thinking of QUAKE.  Better stop eating spicy food so late at night....

Modern players with the servers and matchmaking software are damned spoiled. This is how we used to find opponents online:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/eIVx0PBrQzo

if your cpu, speed, baud, or serial driver isn't on here... or you have 
other corrections... email me at DBr...@tamu.edu or alan at cpw8034@summa 

Name               Phone #           EMail                CPU-Modem Speed 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Dan Bryant         696-6664    DBr...@tamu.edu           486DX2/66-14.4-bnu 
Matt Lea                       msl...@tamsun.tamu.edu    <same as DanB's> 
Mac Somerville Jr. 847-5870    nms...@zeus.tamu.edu      486DX/33 -14.4-ser4 
Bryan                          ccc...@tamsun.tamu.edu             -net only 
Alan Wen           696-8909    cpw...@summa.tamu.edu     486DX2/66-14.4-bnu 
Cameron            847-1920    ccd...@zeus.tamu.edu      486      -14.4 

Finally, remember was American McGee was the coolest new employee at id, and John Romero lusted for ... well, read and see.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.games.doom/carmack$20american/alt.games.doom/ehMXrDqFALY/MhEHsPTO8BIJ

If you haven't had enough..

Current RPG games in progress: Runequest & Star Fleet Battles.
        Current mega-popular fridge food: drumsticks, ice-cream bars.
        Current pretty-dern-popular fridge drink: Concord grape somethingerother.
        Coolest new employees: American and Donna
        New employees: American (tech support+more!) and Donna (secretary!)
        id developer not working 12+hrs/day,6+days/wk: n/a (we fired him)
        Significant other with most eye-poppingly curvacious friends: Amy
        Carmack's new significant other: the Gecko
        Dave's new significant other: the new desk
        Romero's new significant other: the yellowmobile (but don't tell beth)
        What Carmack really lusts for: a Cray, but he won't admit it
        What Dave really lusts for: clean socks
        What Romero really lusts for: Shawn's glistening knob.
        Most excellent airplane wreckage: Rich & Jim (Cygnus Studios)
        Best movie this year: The Crow (see it or be stupid)
        Dave's big embarassment: falling for IQ Software, hook, line, & sinker
        Sandy's latest face configuration: shaved but growing back
        Dave's other big embarassment: falling for HCE, hook, line, & sinker
        Jay's latest stunt: Amazed Off-The-Street Guy
        Dave's saving grace: smells pretty darn ok after two days, no shower
        What we're waiting to hear Kevin and American say when they
                rediscover Texas summer heat: "Hell is a black car."
        Adrian's new disease: Crawfish ("mud bugs") - spread to Scott & Dave
        Soon to be Shawn's first really impressive mistake: a brand new car!
        Nicest guy despite his INCESSANT NEED TO BUG PEOPLE: Norman (Atari)

It's December of '94, and Six-Pack is over Doom. Old news. Lame. Played to death. STOP LIVING IN THE PAST. KILL IT IF YOU MUST.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/B3Iw_CUZ1Rc

Tough. DOOM is a tired old game now. Everybody's played it to death. The public domain .WAD files all suck. It's totally appropriate that we talk about Heretic, Descent, and other DOOM-like games here. To talk only about DOOM would be overly restrictive and wrong. Because right now there are no echos for the other doom-type games plus doom-fans generally also are interested in the other doom type games. Lastly I'm not going to follow your stupid idea of using an editor to find all the secret doors in Heretic. That would ruin a great game. BOY are you stuck in the PAST!! Get over it!

Guest Unregistered account
On 6/4/2019 at 4:27 PM, deepthaw said:

In the "work problems" area, Christopher D'arrigo thinks Doom needs a bosskey. Could the GZDoom team get on that ASAP?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.doom/JkrSC-QQAn4

And we still haven't made this? We have to fulfill this guy's request! 25 years late or not!

If they can make Reddit into Outlook, surely the same can be done for Doom!

I'd love to find one of the non-DM lists floating around from that time and see if we can dig up any of them on /idgames.

I just want to know what wad "butt" is from

I wonder if Carmack ever got his Cray.

4 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

And we still haven't made this? We have to fulfill this guy's request! 25 years late or not!

Just alt+tab to whatever you were pretending to work on with doom in fullscreen borderless. And with some hackey stuff you can even hide it from the toolbar!