Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Why posting it here making think it was some kind of forgotten wad? I don't get it...

For some kind of fame I guess? The wad is not that forgotten and even hold a special place in many people due to being one of very few Doom wads at that time that features many big maps which requires exploration and long switch/key-hunting time.

6 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

For some kind of fame I guess? The wad is not that forgotten and even hold a special place in many people due to being one of very few Doom wads at that time that features many big maps which requires exploration and long switch/key-hunting time.

It's even listed on the top 100 wads of 1994-2003.

2 minutes ago, Jeremixh said:

(coughs) .deh file. (coughs)

You mean you are separating the .deh file from the wad itself?

6 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

no, not for fame, its for something that was missing from the wad publishers and i'm here to post the missing thing, aka the .deh file.

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You mean you are separating the .deh file from the wad itself?

yes.

1 minute ago, Jeremixh said:

yes.

I'm kind of curious, why would anyone need these separated .deh file?

Spoiler

In my opinion, Novice mappers who are into Boom/Classic Doom format mapping should have learnt something about Dehacked and how to transfer the Dehacked.txt file in a wad into Dehacked.deh in a standalone disk folder.
In short, most Dehacked file now are text files and people could easily convert it through SALDE, WhackED, or even Notepad.
But yeah, still a bit curious to know.

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I'm kind of curious, why would anyone need these separated .deh file?

Reveal hidden contents

In my opinion, Novice mappers who are into Boom/Classic Doom format mapping should have learnt something about Dehacked and how to transfer the Dehacked.txt file in a wad into Dehacked.deh in a standalone disk folder.
In short, most Dehacked file now are text files and people could easily convert it through SALDE, WhackED, or even Notepad.
But yeah, still a bit curious to know.

to add what's missing in the wad, once you play a huge map and check where you're at in the automap, you're looking at MAP21: Nirvana instead of MAP21: Fire and Stone.

Well I think people don't care about that. The map names are presented at the end of the levels anyway, plus Dehacked wads (I'm talking about mappacks here) mostly includes tweaked HUD/menu, custom monsters/weapons, new textures; and they are built and balanced upon those.

Spoiler

Missing those will break the balance of the maps very easily, and they could be either very hard, or very easy; and so, when completely deleting the Dehacked file from a wad, the mapper need to rebalance 100% of the wad. Valiant and its Vaccinated variant is a quick example for this (yes Valiant used MBF Dehacked, but they still count.)

If my opinion is wrong, then what missing aspects of the wad you are referring to other than map names?

4 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well I think people don't care about that. The map names are presented at the end of the levels anyway, plus Dehacked wads (I'm talking about mappacks here) mostly includes tweaked HUD, custom monsters/weapons, new textures; and they are built and balanced upon those.

Reveal hidden contents

Missing those will break the balance of the maps very easily, and they could be either very hard, or very easy; and so, when completely deleting the Dehacked file from a wad, the mapper need to rebalance 100% of the wad. Valiant and its Vaccinated is a quick example for this (yes Valiant used MBF Dehacked, but they still count.)

If my opinion is wrong, then what missing aspects of the wad you are referring to other than map names?

here's the thing, the hud, the monster sprite of the imp, textures made by the publishers, not me, but if i'm able to make a dehacked wad, i might make one of the best of my ability. and presented map names in the intermission screen only isn't accurate for some of us.

4 minutes ago, Jeremixh said:

here's the thing, the hud, the monster sprite of the imp, textures made by the publishers, not me, but if i'm able to make a dehacked wad, i might make one of the best of my ability. and presented map names in the intermission screen only isn't accurate for some of us.

So basically all of these standalone .deh files are a more accessible base for novice mappers? Got it.

I mean, there is demand for this kind of thing. NightFright (I think) has made patches like this for various older WADs, to add map names and intermission text as needed. I like them! The difference is, you load his patch alongside the original WAD; he's not bundling his work with someone else's.

7 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I mean, there is demand for this kind of thing. NightFright (I think) has made patches like this for various older WADs, to add map names and intermission text as needed. I like them! The difference is, you load his patch alongside the original WAD; he's not bundling his work with someone else's.

i'm not bundling with anybody,  i just make a file for map names, but intermission screens text, the CVWIL, i think, was a way to change intermission map names, and for me to fix that, i gotta use slade for it, but publishers already have them made. and i don't patch no one else's creation, and why would i??

3 hours ago, Jeremixh said:

i'm not bundling with anybody,  i just make a file for map names, but intermission screens text, the CVWIL, i think, was a way to change intermission map names, and for me to fix that, i gotta use slade for it, but publishers already have them made. and i don't patch no one else's creation, and why would i??

Salt-Man Z said that because you also bundled the wad with the dehacked file.

12 hours ago, Jeremixh said:

Hey if you load this .bex file later on and load a saved game, you think the saved game will still be good? Haven't had any problems so far, using PrBoom Plus 2.5.1.4 by the way, but I've noticed when you later add Revenant100's Spritefix and vsmooth's .wad and/or .deh (most likely its vsmooth causing this), you'll notice some of the weapons will switch 2x slower. Appreciate you making these .bex files, but I gotta agree with Salt-Man Z and TheNoob_Gamer that its unnecessary to include the original wad with the .bex file. There's a good chance most of us will already have the main wad.