• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BB_

Fancy a trip to Phobos?

heres the story for a new WAD i've made

ive never released anything before so go steady

You were a hero.

You remember now, all of a sudden, how eight years back you fought for your species on the excuse for a ball of rock that is Phobos. You remember personally slaying the two 'barons', the masterminds, the kings of the operation, those who controlled the demon hordes. You then remember how the area was declared safe after the barons' deaths, acres of demon and once human flesh being a physical testimony to that apparent fact. You remember even being convinced yourself that the base was secure, and withdrawing from the moon with the remaining handful of survivors.

But what you didn't remember was the controversy surrounding UAC, and their inappropriate disposal of the problem, and how they just abandoned the base, and the slipgate technology intact, keen just to cut their losses and not waste any more money on the ailing project, doing so in an attempt to rebuild their name and status.

It was thrust into the public eye once again when demons started popping up in decomissioned bases around the solar system that were associated with the slipgate technology. It turns out that UAC were certain that the demon threat was not fully extinguished, but they were certain, however that the demons wouldn't have the technology to re-open the slipgate and the dimensional breach, and then therefore would no longer be able to rain themselves down in hellish clouds of flesh and bone to decimate Earth once again.

It also turns out though, that UAC were very, very wrong.

should be in /newstuff within the next 48 hours

Nice story, nice avatar, looks like kin of the doomguy and hitler are one in the same, I've seen that one before...

When can we play your WAD?

its fully cooked, you can play it as soon as i get it sent off to /newstuff

That's an impressive set of maps there, I enjoyed them. But I have a couple of questions:

1. Will these maps (the first 3 ones) still be in Community Chest, given that you've now released them on their own?

2. If they are still going to be in CC, have you thought of any names for the maps yet?

(btw, I noticed a bad bug in map 04, in one of the teleport rooms)

yeah, of course you can have them in CC, i said i'd deliver annd i will (as long as you think theyre up to scratch)

tell me more about the bug in map04, i couldnt see any problem with it

Oh no its in newstuff with all these unseen errors, its gona get such a slating on sunday.

It's in the teleport room with the red key in it. Two linedefs (the one linking the door to the room, and the one linking the wall console to the room) are facing away from the room, creating an impassible barrier and a HOM. Just flip those linedefs round and it's fine. (I've tried it and it's ok)

And don't worry, it won't get slated on Sunday, as I've done the reviews, and I really enjoyed it. (I've not mentioned the bug, as it doesn't prevent progress in the map)

thanks a lot, ill flip those lines see what happens.

the text files a bit shady, i foolishly used word wrap instead of pressing 'enter' :)

BB_ said:

thanks a lot, ill flip those lines see what happens.

the text files a bit shady, i foolishly used word wrap instead of pressing 'enter' :)

when and where can i play these wads....

oh btw Ultimate Dmer I've seen your levels and they are amazing, I won't get to play them til i get my computer in like a week however...but I'm looking forward to it...excellent detail and themes coherent to your storyline from what i see, superb work!

Will you willing to grade my first levels or WADS?

i'd also like to know how to edit the wad in order to change the levels' names and the text that comes up after map06,11,19 and the one ive missed, can it be done with a map editor or will i need additional programs?

Xanthier said:

1. when and where can i play these wads....

2. oh btw Ultimate Dmer I've seen your levels and they are amazing, I won't get to play them til i get my computer in like a week however...but I'm looking forward to it...excellent detail and themes coherent to your storyline from what i see, superb work!

3. Will you willing to grade my first levels or WADS?

1. These wads are all in a bulging /newstuff folder.

2. Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated. But which of my wads are they aimed at? (as I have 3 of them)

3. Just let me know where they are, and I'll give them a go.

BB_ said:

i'd also like to know how to edit the wad in order to change the levels' names and the text that comes up after map06,11,19 and the one ive missed, can it be done with a map editor or will i need additional programs?

You need to use Dehacked in order to edit the game text. Find it here.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Or zdoom. But thats another story...

Ultimate DooMer said:

Why wont the link work for me? Why????????? Why has thy Forsaken Me!?!?!

DOOM Anomaly said:

Why wont the link work for me? Why????????? Why has thy Forsaken Me!?!?!

Because I got it wrong, I forgot to put /utils/ after idgames.

(my fault - at the time, I was under pressure to get my 499th post in and then send the reviews to Ling)

It's fixed now.

(and also, the 3darchives server is a bit screwy at the moment - sometimes it won't let you in, sometimes it won't let you have a file etc.)

anyway, was just wondering, those of you who have played my first episode, would you recommend that i finish it up to a 32 map beauty or leave it as a small wad?

hehe, i knew it was likely that this sort of thing has been done, ill do it again anyway. this is only a very loose basis anyway, ie not inspired greatly by any of the original doom maps, just in a similar style, as daft as that sounds.

BB_ said:

anyway, was just wondering, those of you who have played my first episode, would you recommend that i finish it up to a 32 map beauty or leave it as a small wad?

IMO, 6 and 7 level wads are so much cooler than 30 and 32 level wads...

maybe so, but i dont think that was a fitting finale, i might carry it on till map11, god knows where itll go. Is it possible to have secret levels on any other map than 15, and a gatekeeper style thing on any other than 30

just thought of some names for them aswell

map01 - outer base
map02 - battery
map03 - flow
map04 - works
map05 - machine
map06 - base exit

yeah, thats mainly why i posted them. btw thanks for the review, it has restored my faith and i think i'll take it further

Ultimate DooMer said:

Because I got it wrong, I forgot to put /utils/ after idgames.

(my fault - at the time, I was under pressure to get my 499th post in and then send the reviews to Ling)

It's fixed now.

(and also, the 3darchives server is a bit screwy at the moment - sometimes it won't let you in, sometimes it won't let you have a file etc.)

Ahhhhhh! it still dont work!! The Gods are against me!!! /me hides under desk

DOOM Anomaly said:

Ahhhhhh! it still dont work!! The Gods are against me!!! /me hides under desk

Nope, it's not the Gods, it's me again, as it should be an underscore not a dash. (doh!)

It's fixed now, and this time it works.

Excuse me now while I go away and work out where my head is.

ultimate doomer, thats fine mate if you need em, but i wouldnt want to skupper anyone elses chances of making it into CC, but if you need them just take them its ok by me