Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well not really, just my first completed wad, looking for advice to improve my mapping style. I went for a PS1 Doom feel.

Made for GZdoom, tested with 3.7 and 4.2.

Screenshots-

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190529_121020.png.272927e8cfbdd500e9ae54ac50f8081a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190529_121050.png.5795eb1ba849aa35e4ab2444824a9594.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190531_004641.png.c2581e569656b51473e04c3f4b0da464.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190529_121109.png.1ce3fe0ce09e908313423a425c7e9b8f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190531_004802.png.4263f2e65964a3f6ae7d19ff8d998bdb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190531_015715.png.1fe2e0a22d0a366cf3ed14c1308ffd65.png

Download : hellwalker.zip

Wow this was super impressive, you obviously put a lot of work into it so I don't want it to go unnoticed. With replacement sounds/music/textures/artwork you really did make this feel like it's own 'thing' and not just a map. The music and ambient sounds were fantastic. The visuals and geometry in the hell section were great, but some of the base sections, in contrast, feel lacking, like the tall crate room (fig. 1) and acid bridge room (fig. 2). There was just a bit of too much unused space.

Figure 1

Figure 2

As for level design; I didn't actually feel like I knew where I was going the majority of the time, it was impressive how the level all linked back together, but I was just wandering around in it stumbling across encounters. Despite this I only ended up really having to hunt for the next section a few times.

I played on UV and it was really easy. There is SO MUCH health laying around I spent the whole map at 100+, EXCEPT were I got caught by those crushers, luckily they don't kill you first off, but I got stuck in them twice because the safe area between them is narrow. For ammo, I was short until you get the shotgun, and then you really pour that on too, I believe I ended the map with max everything.

The ending fight was quite good though, I got a little sloppy with the archvile so it probably wasn't as hard as I thought.

Random thought time, I didn't write notes down as I was playing;
After I picked up the red keycard was I supposed to shotgun all those mancubi to death? I hadn't found a rocket launcher yet.

This switch here is shootable, instead of switchable, and I thought it was broken.

Switch

Some of your switches are marked to indicate what door they open, and not that they need that key to work, but then tell you what they do anyway. Maybe remove the key indicator?

There were some misspellings in your intermissions. ;)

Other than that all I have to say is it's really impressive for your first release. Really, really good job.

Edited by Jadwick : added links

I will definitely check this out, I love PS1 doom! It was the first physical release of doom I owned.

I'm playing it now but I'm so lost. Still love the map though. I just can't figure out how to get the blue and i just keep going round in circles. Great map.

Thanks for the in-depth review, Jadwick! I truly appreciate it.

I've revised the map with some of your advice.

Download: hellwalker_v1.2.1.zip  hellwalker_1.2.zip

The visuals and geometry in the hell section were great, but some of the base sections, in contrast, feel lacking, like the tall crate room (fig. 1) and acid bridge room (fig. 2). There was just a bit of too much unused space. 

Figure 1

Figure 2

Those were some of the first rooms I made, I've added some details and it looks much nicer now.

I played on UV and it was really easy. There is SO MUCH health laying around I spent the whole map at 100+, EXCEPT were I got caught by those crushers, luckily they don't kill you first off, but I got stuck in them twice because the safe area between them is narrow. For ammo, I was short until you get the shotgun, and then you really pour that on too, I believe I ended the map with max everything.

I've HEAVILY reduced the amount of health and ammo, guess I just got carried away and forgot that zombies drop ammo. I've also increased the distance between the crushers.

Random thought time, I didn't write notes down as I was playing;

After I picked up the red keycard was I supposed to shotgun all those mancubi to death? I hadn't found a rocket launcher yet.

My intention was for the player to explore a bit before fighting the mancubi. I put a few extra launchers in the techbase section, i only had 1 previously.

This switch here is shootable, instead of switchable, and I thought it was broken.

Switch

Some of your switches are marked to indicate what door they open, and not that they need that key to work, but then tell you what they do anyway. Maybe remove the key indicator?

Was unsure if that would be confusing or not, guess it was. I've removed the key trims from the switches in question, as well as redesigned the room with the shootable switch.

Something I neglected to mention in the initial post is how the rifle works, its slightly faster than the pistol and fires with perfect accuracy.

Glad to hear you liked my wad!

Edited by LoneAlpha2401 : added bugfixed version

On 6/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/435872879

I playtest this at 3:01:20 into this livestream. What a fun map this was!

Watched your stream, glad you liked it! You've earned a follower!

I've updated the wad, nothing major, just some spelling corrections and texture alignments. This should be the last revision.

Download:hellwalker_v1.2.2.zip