Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Digi-Kong

How far can Doomguy "jump"?

Hey Doomworld!

I've just recently joined and am excited to share my discoveries as I create.

I've been working on a WAD where the primary mechanic of the map is to run across large gaps. Because I iterate upon this mechanic in my design, I wanted to make sure I knew the exact capabilities of the Doomguy, so I can streamline my creation process.

I created a video to demonstrate exactly how far a gap the Doomguy can overcome, running at full speed.

Video: 

WAD: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xeCuZEtGwv1hxxDFjkno2zWXDZ0_9XSr

________________________________________________________________________________

To save you time, here is the description of the YouTube video that I made:

This is a breakdown of how far a gap the Doomguy can overcome. I take into consideration various heights of floors that sit opposite the gap in which the player traverses. This only takes into account the player running at full speed.

Here's the breakdown:

- Flat floor: 136 length gap

- Raised 1 Floor: 119 length gap

- Raised 2 Floor: 86 length gap

- Raised 3 Floor: 53 length gap

Players cannot step upon floors that are 4 increments of height and above!

Specs:

- Editor: Slade 3

- Base Resource: DOOM.WAD

- Game Executable: GZDoom

- Level: E1M1

________________________________________________________________________________

Any and all feedback is welcomed, no matter how brash, nor insignificant. I want to learn and grow with and in this community. I've played DOOM for a decade now and have always wanted to join the modding community.

All the best,

- DK

Thanks, this is useful information for mappers.  Would be handy to have straferunning distances as well (you can go faster when you hold down forward and strafe left/right and approach at an angle).

On the maximum climbable height though, you might be mistaken. When you say 4 increments of height, are you talking about 32 units? Some editors adjust height in steps of 8, in which case the 4th increment is the first you can't climb. But in actuality, the non-climbable height is lower, at 25 units.

9 hours ago, holaareola said:

Thanks, this is useful information for mappers.  Would be handy to have straferunning distances as well (you can go faster when you hold down forward and strafe left/right and approach at an angle).

On the maximum climbable height though, you might be mistaken. When you say 4 increments of height, are you talking about 32 units? Some editors adjust height in steps of 8, in which case the 4th increment is the first you can't climb. But in actuality, the non-climbable height is lower, at 25 units.

Hey holaareola,

Thanks for posting. That's a great point; this gives me the idea to go back and cover straferunning (at an angle), running sideways (strafing at a right angle, tangential the gap), and regular walking speed.

Also, thanks for pointing that out. I totally goofed. By increments, I meant increments of 8. The first floor is flat, the second is of height 8, then 16, then 24. 25 is not climbable, as you've said.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Maes said:

I thought this had already been determined long ago? However, accoding to wiki, the maximum horizontal gap coverable is 181 units by SR40, and 196 units by SR50.

That is, without taking into account the player being turned at 45 degrees angles, then it gets closer to 210 units.

Hey Maes,

This is awesome. Thanks so much for posting. I read Linguica's entire Movement Bible and will need to go back and reread it later (and research further), as I did not fully understand everything. I'll probably revise my post and cover some more situations that holaareola pointed out, but will refrain from delving too deeply into the intricacies of tricks and movements the engine enables. I'll keep it fairly simple for new builders, like myself, to use as a quick reference for vanilla design and gameplay.

I truly find the technical stuff fascinating and desire to move towards engine modding. Let me know if there're any other cool topics I should check out that cover the fundamentals of the engine!

In case anyone is interested, this is why I started digging into the details of how far a gap the Doomguy can traverse (taking into consideration various landing heights too). The following is part of a WAD I'm designing:

15 hours ago, Digi-Kong said:

Here's the breakdown:

- Flat floor: 136 length gap

- Raised 1 Floor: 119 length gap

- Raised 2 Floor: 86 length gap

- Raised 3 Floor: 53 length gap

Players cannot step upon floors that are 4 increments of height and above!

Just wanted to get a few things out the way here. "increments of height" isn't how height in doom is measured. Maps in doom are "measured" in the form of map units (pixels, if you will). And the biggest height difference in map units you can climb is 24 map units, meaning anything past that, beginning from 25 map units onward, you can't climb without "help" of some sort, or simply jumping if your maps allow that, or altering the engine's behaviour.