Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cruduxy Pegg

Get your super good monitor stand right now!

Video will most likely get taken down like many others. Apple announced monitor stands that cost $1k and many people are defending it. Absolutely hilarious and stupid. Hey at least it has a munched apple plastered over it!

Apple is trying to woo people and companies who were prepared to spend 5 figures on a monitor. They aren’t trying to sell an upmarket consumer monitor.

I do think they handled spin stupidly though. They could have just made the whole thing $5999 and then said “if you opt out of the stand we’ll make it $4999” on account of many professional setups apparently already having stands and mounts.

Or maybe it wasn’t stupid because everyone is now talking about it.

Either way, this isn’t a consumer product, it’s meant to be a line item on a huge professional budget. Whether they have a chance to succeed in that market, I don’t know it well enough at all to say, but it should put it in perspective.

From what my more Apple-savvy fellow IT students are saying, @insertwackynamehere is mostly right: it is a professional product. The competing stands seem to be worth several thousand dollars, which would make $999 a steal. However, since Apple has been cultivating a casual audience for the last decade, non-professionals are getting whiplash from a product not being catered to them.

This, however, is a barely informed take from a non-Apple fan, so it might be off base.

I could never understand why so many companies overspend on frivolous knick knacks. I worked at a company that bought $10k machines that were basically tablets with a POS system. Smart phones are $20 at walmart. My current employer spent over $100 each on walkie talkies and it's 2019. A monitor stand that's $1k; I'm not at all surprised that companies will be dumb enough to buy it but it is nevertheless amazing that of all the things to do with money, even being greedy with it, that companies will waste it in such a way. Makes you wonder if at some point the value of money is truly a relative thing.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:06 PM, Doominator2 said:

This makes me wanna die

This makes me want Apple to die.

I'm saving for the Pro Version.

That reminds me how disappointed I was when I found out that I couldn't use my Audioquest HDMI cable with my new MacBook Pro. Fortunately the guy at the Apple Store sold me an Apple Convertor and now the image quality is even better.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

This, among numerous other reasons, is why I refuse to support Apple.

LUL. I actually have my monitor on this: 00-999-046-02.jpg

A Logisys PC Extension PE101 that i found at Goodwill back in 2015 when i was building my PC. I needed something to lift my monitor up a little bit. Now my monitor is only 21.5" so it fits fine.

It did not cost $1000 btw.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, Pegg said:

Video will most likely get taken down like many others. Apple announced monitor stands that cost $1k and many people are defending it. Absolutely hilarious and stupid. Hey at least it has a munched apple plastered over it!

What you tell about yourself with your comment is, that you have no clue what this is, and what it normally cost.

You Will never buy nor need a Monitor like that. It will mostly be used as a reference monitor for color grading, hanging in a row with other monitors. Most customers won‘t buy the stand even if it would be a tenth of the price.

Alternatively they buy other brands, like Sony BVM-X300, for the unbelievable cheap price of $ 40.000.

You think 1K for a monitor stand is expensive? Think again.

Apple's biggest fail is trying to take down the videos instead of clarifying the situation, and that will only make things worse with how the internet works.

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

They are so lucky Huawei have been kneecapped.

Well, no. That may help Samsung and other android device manufacturers, but not Apple.

It is in fact the opposite, chinese customers boycott iphones because of this.

23 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Well, no. That may help Samsung and other android device manufacturers, but not Apple.

It is in fact the opposite, chinese customers boycott iphones because of this.

Apple's revenue was already down 20% in China before the Huawei blacklist.  No boycott required when the phones are so good (even better in some respects) at a lower price and coming from one of the country's own companies as another little bonus.  It does help rival Android-based manufacturers even more of course.

- Huawei’s smartphone shipments surged 50% in the first quarter compared to the same period last year, according to new data from IDC.

- Apple’s shipments dropped 30% during that time, while Samsung’s fell 8%.

- The new figures show Huawei capturing a 19% share of the global smartphone market.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/01/huawei-ahead-of-apple-in-q1-2019-smartphone-shipments.html

On 6/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, ReaperAA said:

This makes me want Apple to die.

Well, you can finish eating it. Company started it before making logo.

This is actually quite funny. In the past, Apple could announce what they wanted and no matter what article you read, the user comments were overwhelmingly positive.

This time they are full of vitriolic sarcasm. And that's really not a good sign for a company that depends on its unassailable reputation. They are clearly losing it by now.

4 hours ago, cybdmn said:

What you tell about yourself with your comment is, that you have no clue what this is, and what it normally cost.

You Will never buy nor need a Monitor like that. It will mostly be used as a reference monitor for color grading, hanging in a row with other monitors. Most customers won‘t buy the stand even if it would be a tenth of the price.

Alternatively they buy other brands, like Sony BVM-X300, for the unbelievable cheap price of $ 40.000.

You think 1K for a monitor stand is expensive? Think again.

Am not the one comparing the price for a stand to a fully fledged monitor. And yes it is stupidly cost in-effective otherwise they wouldn't show it for 1 second to avoid the boos by the audience. Yes I'll mock people who throw money into the ocean for a stupid logo in their product. And yes I defend stuff like expensive tablets for pro artists all the time so please come again?

Edited by Pegg

1 hour ago, Loud Silence said:

Well, you can finish eating it. Company started it before making logo.

If only I could eat this apple and end its existence.

Apple's a fucking cult, I'm telling you. There's a large amount of people who will buy ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING simply because it has the Apple logo slapped on it.

apple-logo-chest-fanboy.jpg?quality=98&s

Like this guy. If you have an Apple logo tattooed onto your chest, you must be fun at parties.

Sorry, I already have a good monitor stand.

755953?wid=1142&hei=818&resMode=bilin&fi

A Neo-Flex by Ergotron, permanently attached to my desk, and screwed onto my 23.5" Samsung SyncMaster P2350 monitor.

NEXT...

Edited by HavoX

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Am not the one comparing the price for a stand to a fully fledged monitor. And yes it is stupidly cost in-effective otherwise they wouldn't show it for 1 second to avoid the boos by the audience. Yes I'll mock people who throw money into the ocean for a stupid logo in their product. And yes I defend stuff like expensive tablets for pro artists all the time so please come again?

You still don‘t get it. This whole thing has an target audience of customers who mostly buy that monitor with the $200 adapter, and put it in their racks.

and those who will buy that stand won‘t care about the price, because they normally buy monitors at prices up until $40k, which are connected to workstations which often cost even more.

You would be surprised what stuff like that cost in this league. $500 for a fucking camera handle for Red movie cameras for example.

Anti-Apple cultists are way more annoying than Apple cultists, because at least Apple cultists actually like something.

19 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

You still don‘t get it. This whole thing has an target audience of customers who mostly buy that monitor with the $200 adapter, and put it in their racks.

and those who will buy that stand won‘t care about the price, because they normally buy monitors at prices up until $40k, which are connected to workstations which often cost even more.

I think you don't get it either. It doesn't matter if this thing is priced adequately or not - they not only screwed up the presentation (as judged by the audience's reaction) but also the aftermath by trying to bury the entire fiasco instead of clarifying what this product was supposed to be. We all know that the internet won't allow to undo the initial error in judgment.

They came across as dicks and the entire reaction to the negative press was to act even more dick-ish. And the reaction all over the internet is just what you expect of a dick move - they just get ridiculed for their detached attitude so any attempt to bury this screw-up anyway will draw even more attention to the whole thing.

13 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Anti-Apple cultists are way more annoying than Apple cultists, because at least Apple cultists actually like something.

Most people who are anti-Apple are not cultists, though. They normally have legitimate issues with the company, its attitude and/or its products.

I have to work with their stuff on a daily basis and I've come to thoroughly dislike it as a result.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

They are clearly losing it by now.

I'd say they were already losing it when they decided to ditch headphone connectors from iPhones.

In fact, Apple has been on a downhill slope ever since Steve Jobs's death.

11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I think you don't get it either. It doesn't matter if this thing is priced adequately or not - they not only screwed up the presentation (as judged by the audience's reaction) but also the aftermath by trying to bury the entire fiasco instead of clarifying what this product was supposed to be. We all know that the internet won't allow to undo the initial error in judgment.

They came across as dicks and the entire reaction to the negative press was to act even more dick-ish. And the reaction all over the internet is just what you expect of a dick move - they just get ridiculed for their detached attitude so any attempt to bury this screw-up anyway will draw even more attention to the whole thing.

Most people who are anti-Apple are not cultists, though. They normally have legitimate issues with the company, its attitude and/or its products.

I have to work with their stuff on a daily basis and I've come to thoroughly dislike it as a result.

In fact they have the video still on their own website. They started to try taking down videos where the moaning of the audiences is volumed up.

And from my experiences you are the exception, most apple haters have no clue what they talking about, and the thread starter is an good example for that.

8 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I'd say they were already losing it when they decided to ditch headphone connectors from iPhones.

In fact, Apple has been on a downhill slope ever since Steve Jobs's death.

Agreed, but until last year that wasn't really reflected in reader opinions on internet articles. I noticed a strong shift of opinion for the first time when they announced to deprecate OpenGL on future versions of their OSs, but what happened this time is virtually unprecedented. I've never seen such a strong backlash against them as for this thing.

Obviously this may be shrugged off for a short term, but they really have to rethink their attitude unless they want to run the risk of no longer being considered "cool". Their entire corporate image depends on this, if they lose their reputation among their more casual users it might doom their future.

1 minute ago, cybdmn said:

In fact they have the video still on their own website. They started to try taking down videos where the moaning of the audiences is volumed up.

It's still stupid. They only give more ammunition to their detractors that way instead of controlling the story themselves.