Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul977

Darkest Room (Doom 2 level, /idgames)

Nice , I add this level on my list. :)

I will not play it for now , I'm still occupied with "Secret Energy" and some Death-Destiny's maps. :)

No progression bugs, this HOM, the rest superb, except for... the title, which maybe implies there won't be an even darker Room in this series of moody UAC derelicts :)

Thanks for the map.

I have played this and recorded my gameplay. The only problem is that it will take something like 12 hours to upload to YouTube (whaaaat?!) but that's what you get for recording in HD I guess... Anyways... I will try to make it upload when I go to bed tonight, and hopefully, there should be a reaction-gameplay for you to watch tomorrow :-)

Bandicam allows up to 10 minutes of recording, which is why I had to separate my gameplay into many videos. I didn't bother putting them together in a video editing program, as that would put me through another long loading time. So here's part one. You can go to my youtube channel and watch the rest (part 2 through 8) afterwards :-) Hope you enjoy seeing me play your map!

2 minutes ago, loveless said:

@FanTazTiCxD  OBS can record your games/desktop.  No reason to use anything like Bandicam or Fraps these days.

Esp when considering how hardware demanding is Fraps compared to alternatives.

Great work once again Mr. 977 !
I've recorded a FDA on HMP then carried on with an UV playthrough, using saves.
Needless to say, it's been a rough one :)

"Death-Destiny meets Miasma" could be a good way of describing your map.
The eerie music you picked (also used in Darkwave24.wad if I recall correctly) and the overall creepiness help to create a strong and oppressive atmosphere, with dark metallic structures embedded into large, underground, natural caves.

Most of the fights are really clever and intense (my favorites include the BFG9000 sequence in sector 1311 and the one that killed me on HMP), but some can be neutered by going Pacifist style and hugging a couple monsters to provoke infighting (I'm thinking about battles in sectors 864 and 1353 in particular).
Having some monsters look our way instead of backwards might work wonders in reducing the cheese opportunities here (I recall Death-Destiny's fights were harder to abuse... I think ?).

Good use of Boom effects (transluency, timed teleportations etc.), too.

I'm not entirely sold on the "weak Cyberdemon" variant. I mean, yeah it's nice to have some kind of a new "glass cannon" enemy, and he's used in many interesting battle scenarios here, but the bulky appearance of the Cyberdemon doesn't go well with "low" health, it just looks wrong to have these towering meanies exploding after like 4 or 5 SSG shots. Using the Cybruiser's sprites instead (while keeping the Cyber's attack pattern of course) could look better IMHO.

I found myself low on ammo before the BFG9000 fight, on both UV and HMP, but I've missed at least 1 secret during both playthroughs (the one located in sector 888) so maybe the problem is solely on my end.

Aside from that, the map is excellent. It's a nerve-wrecking experience, in a good way. :)
Thanks for creating this - Death-Destiny is one of my favorite mappers and your continued efforts to create maps in his style are always appreciated !

Now, how about creating an episode instead of single map releases ? :p

DRoom-HMPFDA-Splattered-wh.zip

Thanks for the playthrough FanTazTiCxD, John and for the demo Wilou. Your demo shows off a good approach to this level and could be helpful for people who struggle in the first sections of the map, where a bit of infighting and leave the turret monsters alive for later is the way to go.

About the encounters you mentioned I don't think (and hope) major cheese strats are possible cause use infighting is sometimes the way to go and one of those fights has monsters that immediately attack. So - for now - I left them as they are and waiting a bit more before going on idgames

Edited by Paul977

I recorded a fda on HPM: droom_gaspe_fda.zip

Very good looking level and the boom effects were well used. After some early deaths I managed to reach the exit. I have to agree that the ammo is low, I was really struggling in the central part and sometimes I wasn't even sure if I would have been able to continue, even though I found all the secrets. But after reading the comments I think I could have managed better the infighiting. But also in the last area it was too much. It's interesting the green cyberdemon, and I didn't realized at first that a red one was sneakily placed into the map.

So I just finished this :p .

I think it's a pretty neat SoD type of map and I really liked the encounters. They're the kind of encounters that just require knowledge and understanding of the situation than randomly blasting everything (coming up with a good strategy, then putting it into practice). It really puts emphasis on enemy infighting. Also speaking of which, I am very disappointed by how poorly I handled some of those rooms but that's nothing really new to me (even if I have the knowledge sometimes I just don't have the skill to pull it off). I was initially reluctant to post the video but oh what the hell, at least it makes for a good laugh if anything. It did not prevent me from appreciating the map for what it is though (it never does).

I'd be up for more tbh.

Edited by seed

Tbh I do like what Ribbiks did with the cyber with just a color change and will let them in this way but thanks for the interest and for the file Krull!

Nice playthrough @seed you overall managed well the map and was a fun watch. A bit unfortunate on that last area but it can be tricky.

Updated the wad on version 1 with few small changes (the old file is still there):

- the difficulty of HMP is a bit increased

- fixed some little bugs

- added a new amazing custom sky made by Mechadon (thank you) as titlepic

Regards

21 minutes ago, Paul977 said:

Nice playthrough @seed you overall managed well the map and was a fun watch. A bit unfortunate on that last area but it can be tricky.

Yea, I kinda lost my shit in the last fight and got angry for not being able to pull it off, despite figuring out the way (at least, that's what I think). Doing efforts to control myself from now on since that's starting to be irritating.

I recorded a UV FDA on the old version a few days ago, but managed to overwrite it like a complete donkey. Really sorry about that, I somehow managed to launch the game immediately after quitting out. I played through it twice and got to the BFG fight both times, fucking it up and dying twice in a row, mostly just exploiting infighting along the way and taking encounters slowly and cautiously. I did record an exit on UV after scouting out the rest of the map though, which I will attach to this post (plays back on the old version).

Once you get over the initial hump, there seems to be plenty of ammo on UV. If you handle the BFG fight correctly, you'll end up with a glut of cells that can be used to break the back of the harder encounters further down the line. The BFG fight messed me up more than a few times simply because the timing between the waves is devious and feels unnaturally long. I found it quite easy to break the back of a few fights by waking up enemies in advance - like the lock in with the PE, wall of barons and rev/vile snipers - or simply by running away - as is very easy to do with the final fight. Also, you can make the cyberdemon variants infight, which isn't exactly necessary or even all that useful in the plasma gun fight, but amusing nonetheless.

Another really fun map. A nice change of pace from the super chaotic and hectic stuff i've been playing recently.

DRoom-uvkoren.zip

Very cool and helpful demo koren, thanks. Not expected the final fight to be so cheesable to be honest; will not be so easy in final version (at least on UV) ^

I gave it a go (and died): noisy_DRoom1_hmp.zip

I liked the map from what I got to so far.

I should probably play your maps with saves though, because I'm getting killed and am a bit too winded to churn through the sections I already played.  By the set-piece-to-set-piece nature of the map you sometimes have to play out each section before going to the next.  Not to the fault of the map, per se.

Final version of this level uploaded on idgames, download link in the first post. Some changes:

- Rebalanced the ammo (on a side note, I have to say it wasn't easy to balance the ammo for this map tbh). This to avoid the trivialization of some of the fights.

- The final area is now more difficult both on HMP and UV. 

Kind regards

Congrats on the final release. I had a lot of fun playing through this again and I just want to mention how nice it looks in a software renderer.

The changes to the ammo distribution for the most part worked very well, I felt seriously pressured until the BFG arena again, where all the cautious infight generation and weapon switching paid off with me having 200~ cells for the back end of the map. It feels like you could probably have one less big cell pack in the BFG room and that'd still leave a cautious player with a couple of shots to help neutralise the encounter of their choice, without being able to defuse them all quite so freely.

Here's a casual maxdemo on UV difficulty. It utilises most of the same tricks I used in the beta release.

DRoom-2307-kn.zip

I think the map itself is good. But lack of ammo killed all the fun to me, a lot of opportunities to move faster and leave infighting enemies behind are impracticable due to the fact that a lot of fights have PEs that can't be left behind unless player wants to fight hordes of lost souls with bare hands.

I'll attach my best attempt demo, not gonna try again I think.

droom.zip

22 hours ago, Archi said:

Certainly not a bad attempt, nice demo :)

I take advantage of this update since I've recently replayed the map and found out that three monsters couldn't teleport in on skill 3.. so I fixed this and updated the file on idgames. If you want to get 100% kill on HMP you have to redownload the wad at the same link in the OP (this change does not affect any UV demos made for this map).

Regards