Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile

Reviving old Youtube channel

I created a Youtube channel over a decade ago primarily as a dumping ground for some Descent speedruns I made, but now I'm looking to see what else I might want to do with it.  For now, I've settled on converting some of my old demos to video for the amusement of friends and coworkers as a start.  In doing so, I am playing with the prboom-plus viddump functionality.  It looks like the original quality of the video didn't transfer so well to Youtube.  I'm a bit new to all of this so any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am hoping to get the settings right before taking care of the rest.

I updated the video for E1M2 and removed the old uploads.  I settled on this quality as "good enough".

Edited by Vile

Probably not.  Demo-recording takes more time than I'm willing to invest at this point.  If I somehow get bored enough, we'll see, but I was thinking about possibly trying my hand at Let's Plays.  I think it would be more fun and relaxed.

20 minutes ago, Vile said:

Probably not.  Demo-recording takes more time than I'm willing to invest at this point.  If I somehow get bored enough, we'll see, but I was thinking about possibly trying my hand at Let's Plays.  I think it would be more fun and relaxed.

That's true, your hayday has passed I see.

Lets plays are fun actually, not a fan myself but some people find joy in that.

11 hours ago, Vile said:

You have to spend several years doing that before you get a decent funbase. I don't think much people are interested in Classic Doom nowdays. There are plently of lets-players on YT/Twitch. What will be your difference from the rest?

I think the best option is to use ZeroMaster's tactic: viddump a video in 510p60 (960x510) and upscale it in 3-4 times using a loseless upscaling program. We have an .mkv/.mp4 from viddumping, but AVISynth and VirtualDub doesn't support these formats. If I would know which program he uses...

Edited by Dimon12321

13 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

You have to spend several years doing that before you get a decent funbase. I don't think much people are interested in Classic Doom nowdays. There are plently of lets-players on YT/Twitch. What will be your difference from the rest?

That's understandable, and I know that I won't be offering much to stand out from the crowd if I actually decide to give it a go.  I'm not going to try and develop a fan base.  It will just be a way to share the kinds of things that interest me with people I know and hopefully be entertaining as well.

I should update those Descent videos to be higher quality, or at least not abysmal.  Unfortunately, I don't have the dem files saved anywhere that I know.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:30 AM, Dimon12321 said:

viddump a video in 510p60 (960x510) and upscale it in 3-4 times using a loseless upscaling program. We have an .mkv/.mp4 from viddumping, but AVISynth and VirtualDub doesn't support these formats

FFmpeg can do this and has a ton of options to play around with, though processing can take a while depending on your target output and processing power.

Vile, I've been hammering at that pl32- for ~20 days and my best exit is 3:17--you're not kidding about BK area. I'm over the DOSBox adjustment phase, so hopefully my campaign to bring it under 3:00 is drawing closer...

13 minutes ago, 0xf00ba12 said:

Vile, I've been hammering at that pl32- for ~20 days and my best exit is 3:17--you're not kidding about BK area. I'm over the DOSBox adjustment phase, so hopefully my campaign to bring it under 3:00 is drawing closer...

Yeah the results on this map can be highly variable depending on how much work the monsters do for you in that area.  I definitely hope you get there eventually, especially considering how much time you've invested in it.

I didn't change the video quality much from those initial uploads aside from reduce the crf down to 20 (from the default 22).  I didn't want to get too crazy with the file sizes.

I'd be down to watch some chill Let's Plays of the OG fast-doom-man. Even if it's just commentating your thoughts on the maps as you're navigating them. I fill a lot of my free time with demos from the DSDA YT channel, so I'm always down for some good doom content. Just a shame so much of the non-demo stuff is brutal doom playthroughs. 

Completely unrelated to Doom, but since you've mentioned Descent I would like to bring attention to this Descent player. As someone with some experience playing it and who has tracked the best players' achievements in that game, what that man has accomplished was downright mindblowing the first time I saw it. He makes a game that is about as difficult as slaughterwards on UV-Fast look easy.

And welcome back Vile. I remember seeing your D2ALL NM-Speed back in mid 00s. Different Doom speedrunning age and a lot's changed since then, but you were one of if not the best player at the time.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:09 AM, 0xf00ba12 said:

FFmpeg can do this and has a ton of options to play around with, though processing can take a while depending on your target output and processing power.

Haha, a tool of masters and is easy to use! Tutorial is here. My first 4K upscale is here. I'll improve the quality in next videos. I have to define the -crf param too.

Using Intel Core i5 4460, upscaling speed is ~7.8 fps for q=31. Wonna move to Ryzen 3600 when it's out.

Edited by Dimon12321

On 6/7/2019 at 2:51 PM, Vile said:

I should update those Descent videos to be higher quality, or at least not abysmal.  Unfortunately, I don't have the dem files saved anywhere that I know.

@Vile I have copies of the dems from 2005.  I have attached them here if you want them.  They are for levels 1, 9, and 26.  Someone else around here may have more.  Some guys have some pretty extensive old libraries.  Perhaps @Opulent  ?

Descent-26_0216h.rar

Descent-09_0134h.rar

Descent-01_0027h.rar

14 hours ago, tchkb said:

Completely unrelated to Doom, but since you've mentioned Descent I would like to bring attention to this Descent player. As someone with some experience playing it and who has tracked the best players' achievements in that game, what that man has accomplished was downright mindblowing the first time I saw it. He makes a game that is about as difficult as slaughterwards on UV-Fast look easy.

And welcome back Vile. I remember seeing your D2ALL NM-Speed back in mid 00s. Different Doom speedrunning age and a lot's changed since then, but you were one of if not the best player at the time.

Ooh nice, I didn't know anyone else had done Descent speedrunning.  There's no section for it at http://speeddemosarchive.com/, but then those were recorded with D1X as well so maybe they were denied similarly, or never submitted.  Cool stuff either way.

5 hours ago, Searcher said:

@Vile I have copies of the dems from 2005.  I have attached them here if you want them.  They are for levels 1, 9, and 26.  Someone else around here may have more.  Some guys have some pretty extensive old libraries.  Perhaps @Opulent  ?

Descent-26_0216h.rar

Descent-09_0134h.rar

Descent-01_0027h.rar

Sweet thank you!  I appreciate it. :)

Probably a long shot but if you happen to have any of the demo files for the Serious Sam speedruns I did, that'd be awesome.  I have an old PC that I haven't actually used in a long time so there's some chance they are on there, but if not, oh well.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:03 PM, eLim said:

Just a shame so much of the non-demo stuff is brutal doom playthroughs. 

BD has incredibly high view counts for some reason. Yeah, I would love to have some classic Doom contents to watch.