Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
22_deathgrip

Anyone know of a wad or pk3 to replace SSG with SG? Also start play with Backpack.

I'm looking for a mod to replace the supershotgun with the shotgun in maps that have the supershotgun.

The reason for this is I'm playing throught TV1998.wad it's a breeze, it really feels like the maps weren't made with the SSG in mind. Way too big and underpopulated. 

Also mod that gives the player a backpack when loading a map or starting a new game would also be great. It "fixes" nerve.wad and Sigil IMO. (yes I know Sigil has backpack in a secret area in Level 3, but most players won't find it)

Edited by 22_deathgrip

The SSG replacer is literally a single line of DECORATE that replaces every SSG with a weapon identical to the shotgun. The backpack adder just replaces the player with one who also starts with a backpack.

If I spent more than 5 seconds on this, I could probably write it so that it doesn't have the minor bugs it has now, where the shotgun is 'duplicated' and the player doesn't start with extra ammo, but this is probably enough

SSG is way too awesome to replace it, it's a capital sin.

But good to see this, I guess. :p

Just now, Archanhell said:

SSG is way too awesome to replace it, it's a capital sin.

But good to see this, I guess. :p

Have you played TV1998.wad? (there is also a dedicated music pack for it) The levels are huge, with a relatively small number of enemies in open areas. With a lot of medium and far off engagements with singular lower level enemies or 3-4 enemies in very large rooms, the SSG is just way too much. 

If you play TV1998.wad ( I would highly recommend tv98midi.zip if you do! ) I think you will see what I mean. 

I plan to finish TV1998.wad with my current setup, then again without the SSG, but with the backpack. I think it will be much more enjoyable experience. 

9 minutes ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Have you played TV1998.wad? (there is also a dedicated music pack for it) The levels are huge, with a relatively small number of enemies in open areas. With a lot of medium and far off engagements with singular lower level enemies or 3-4 enemies in very large rooms, the SSG is just way too much. 

If you play TV1998.wad ( I would highly recommend tv98midi.zip if you do! ) I think you will see what I mean. 

I plan to finish TV1998.wad with my current setup, then again without the SSG, but with the backpack. I think it will be much more enjoyable experience. 

Heheh, I'm sure it will be enjoyable when you have a less overpowered weapon, but whenever I get the SSG I use it always, so it's like having the BFG :p

TV1998.... I think I may have played it a long time ago?

3 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

If you're using GZDoom you could always use the console to give yourself a backpack + shotgun.

The first issue isn't that I want the SG, its that I don't want the SSG to be in the wad. 
The second issue is some wads, like Nerve.WAD make the player run around collecting ammo all the time because that WAD has no backpack at all, but a ton of enemies. It either leads to a lot of ammo collecting and hyper-micro-management, or in the case of Sigil, gives casual gamers like gggmanlives the impression that there isn't enough ammo in the level. Either way, being limited to none-backpack inventory-maximum is not good for gameplay, IMVHPO.

@22_deathgrip Actually I went ahead and cleaned it up for GZDoom. Shotgun duplication is avoided; backpack start no longer gives additional ammo. SSG replacing or backpack starting can now be toggled in the options menu (requires level restart). You can safely add it to your autoload now!

SSGReplacer_BackpackAdder.zip

ssg2sg.zip

I felt compelled to make a vanilla compatible version of this, because why not. The player starts with doubled ammo capacity and all SSGs are now spawned as shotguns. Unfortunately the backpack item itself would have doubled the ammo capacity yet again in vanilla which seems excessive, so I replaced it with a box of ammo. This will only really be an issue if a mapper is using backpacks to dole out cell and rocket ammo which is kind of rare anyway.

3 hours ago, 3saster said:

@22_deathgrip Actually I went ahead and cleaned it up for GZDoom. Shotgun duplication is avoided; backpack start no longer gives additional ammo. SSG replacing or backpack starting can now be toggled in the options menu (requires level restart). You can safely add it to your autoload now!

SSGReplacer_BackpackAdder.zip

Thanks, thats very useful!

I'm doing my second run of TV1998.wad and its definitely better on UV without the SSG, up to map14 at least, I intend to finish the WAD with it. 

Setting it up as a option is nice, but I prefer just to load it up with the rest of the wads to make it happen, just because then its not a setting I leave on when I'm playing other wads. Not all megawads benefit from removing the SSG or adding backpack start. TV1998 is just way too easy with the SSG, Sigil.wad and Nerve.wad are both much better with backpack starts. 

The whole idea behind this is I can edit a wad or a pk3 and put the files in to make it behave how I like when I share it with somebody else. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip

@22_deathgrip I realized I made a serious error in the backpack logic, so here's the corrected version. As a bonus, since you described your use case, the options have been removed. To add either feature to a WAD, simply add the two files of each pk3 into the WAD. If you'd like to add both features at once, add both sets of files to the WAD (so you'll have 2 ZSCRIPTS & MAPINFO lumps).
SSG+Backpack.zip

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

ssg2sg.zip

This will only really be an issue if a mapper is using backpacks to dole out cell and rocket ammo which is kind of rare anyway.

If the mapper is doing this, wouldn't there be enough backpacks to not need the mod in the first place? :P

Edited by 3saster

17 hours ago, 3saster said:

@22_deathgrip I realized I made a serious error in the backpack logic, so here's the corrected version. As a bonus, since you described your use case, the options have been removed. To add either feature to a WAD, simply add the two files of each pk3 into the WAD. If you'd like to add both features at once, add both sets of files to the WAD (so you'll have 2 ZSCRIPTS & MAPINFO lumps).
SSG+Backpack.zip

If the mapper is doing this, wouldn't there be enough backpacks to not need the mod in the first place? :P

You are of coarse, correct, but the idea behind this is I can send wads like TV1998.wad, Sigil.wad and Nerve.wad to my friends and they can just run it without messing about with things. Honestly, IMO, no wad is enhanced by constantly screwing the player out of the full load of ammunition from a box by only giving them a small portion of the ammo box because they didn't have enough inventory to carry it alll. 

In Sigil's case, it hurt the fun of the wad for people who didn't find the secret (as obvious as it was, being a ledge jump) in Nerve.wad's case, it just hurts the gameplay to have the play scrounging for ammo after every single encounter. 

Thanks for updating. I'm gonna try Doom 2 with this. I want to see how much it actually effects the Wad. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip