Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ivory Duke

ZMovement 3.2.1: Final version (unless serious bugs)

Looks great, and D4T was a perfect choice to demonstrate this mod since this kind of movement is the little je ne sais quoi that was missing for me when playing it. Looking forward to further developments!

Edited by ScreechingBoner

This looks sick, I've always wanted vq3 style movement in Doom for fun and Dusk seems fairly similar to cpm. I'm not able to run this with the latest SVN though? I'm running just the pk3 with the doom2 iwad.

Spoiler

MA2mIDS.png

I have just fixed it @xvertigox
I had left a cvar in the code which i then removed but it was stored in my ini file so it was not bringing up any error for me
Download the new version from the updated thread and sorry for the inconvenience!!

Edited by Ivory Duke

Dude, this is actually dope as fuck. Awesome work. Have you considered adding more movement styles? The Dusk base feels great and I'd love to see a vq3 ruleset. It'd be cool that q4 style crouch sliding too - no forward moment gained on crouch but no friction so you can slide around corners then go back into strafe jumping. Is ramp jumping possible to implement?

I'm stoked this has a speedometer, that's worth releasing as a separate pk3 as well IMO.

I'm going to look at making defrag style maps specifically for this mod.

There already is an excellent mod by ijon which actually also also does Q4 crouch sliding http://git.jinotra.in/ijon/quakemovement
If you look in the Dusk Option menu there is an option for Trick Jumps Cooler, if you lower that value it will make you perform ramp jumping.
The lower the value the higher the ramp jump will be. Now that I think of it I should have showcased that in the video.

Fun fact I actually had to implement the cooler because otherwise it was always performing super high ramp jumps

9 minutes ago, Ivory Duke said:

There already is an excellent mod by ijon which actually also also does Q4 crouch sliding http://git.jinotra.in/ijon/quakemovement
If you look in the Dusk Option menu there is an option for Trick Jumps Cooler, if you lower that value it will make you perform ramp jumping.

Thanks for the link. I just played around with it and I like yours better. The menu is exceptionally useful. Adding an option to reset to default could be useful. I'm definitely going to be using this.

An option to reset values is indeed a good idea.
I will collect more feedback and then release an update also including your suggestion.

I tested this with the default settings and noticed: the jump height is less than in vanilla. Linear speed of movement is less than in vanilla. Moving forward+sideways does not give a speed increase. But the speed forward+sideways+jump two times more than forward+jump.

Personally, I don't see any serious use for this except in DM's on certain maps, as in most cases it just ruins the standard gameplay.

@Doomenator as the title states the goal of the addon is recreating the movement of Dusk.
Compared to vanilla Doom Dusk has lower jump height, lower gravity, lower walk speed, and straferunning only marginally increases your speed.
Also you can only gain speed in mid air through strafejumping and simply moving forward + jumping (bunny hopping) will simply help you maintain whatever speed you have reached through strafe jumping.

It is obviously very different from Vanilla Doom and I am aware this movement will not play well in all mapsets.
Of course, if you do not like it you are free not to use it and just stick to standard vanilla moving mechanics.
Still, thank you for trying it out!

It is not very clear why imitate such physics. I thought it should be done more logically. For example: if you compare with Q3, bunny hopping involves some skill. And here you just need to press 3 keys. I see an ridiculous attempt to make the player move only by jumping and sideways.

And the main note: this physics is not like DUSK. In DUSK moving forward+sideways gives a speed boost, as in vanilla Doom. Linear speed is about the same, at least visually, and motion control is even easier. I specifically installed game and compared.

20 hours ago, Ivory Duke said:

I have just fixed it @xvertigox
I had left a cvar in the code which i then removed but it was stored in my ini file so it was not bringing up any error for me
Download the new version from the updated thread and sorry for the inconvenience!!

I have the same error with 1.02 . I updated gzdoom to 3.7.0

11 hours ago, Doomenator said:

It is not very clear why imitate such physics. I thought it should be done more logically. For example: if you compare with Q3, bunny hopping involves some skill. And here you just need to press 3 keys. I see an ridiculous attempt to make the player move only by jumping and sideways.

And the main note: this physics is not like DUSK. In DUSK moving forward+sideways gives a speed boost, as in vanilla Doom. Linear speed is about the same, at least visually, and motion control is even easier. I specifically installed game and compared.

Why imitate such physics? because I enjoy the original game and I had enough free time to code it in the last month for my personal enjoyment and hopefully the enjoyment of other people who enjoy DUSK as well. Nothing more, nothing less.
Also I have never claimed this to be exactly like DUSK, as it is clearly stated in the second sentence
This mod does not aim at being a 1:1 recreation since DUSK is not open source and there are a couple of behavioral differences in my mod due to personal preferences.

About straferunning: the code of my mod does make you go faster when straferunning but it is a fraction of the boost you get in Vanilla Doom. I am considering to increase ground straferunning speed by a small amount. It is quite hard to get a clear understanding of how much the speed increase is without tools like a speedometer.

Once again: you are free to not enjoy my work as I know I cannot please everyone and I do appreciate the feedback. I personally think you will find more enjoyment from these mods that imitate Quake's Strafe Running
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=63331
http://git.jinotra.in/ijon/quakemovement

@eviltechno I made a mistake in judging the minimum GZDoom version required. Due to the fact I override CalcHeight() the minimum version is 3.8.0 thank you for bringing it up I am updating the description accordingly

6 hours ago, Ivory Duke said:

I personally think you will find more enjoyment from these mods that imitate Quake's Strafe Running

I do not remember such mods that accurately reproduce the physics of movement quake. Only visualization and parody of physics.

But, I did not say that your mod is really bad. As an option, I suggest you make the speed movement on the ground identical to vanilla Doom. I think it will be more like the original DUSK.

By the way, the difference in speed jumps, is proportional to the difference when moving on the ground.

Spoiler

I will see what I can do about it thank you for your observations I have already increased the straferunning speed

I do not personally play those mods so it is somewhat unlikely I will put the time to make those patches.
I would suggest you either wait I figure out how to make the core mod universal or you try your hand at  doing the patch yourself.
If you look at the patches I have already made it should not be too hard depending on your modding knowledge

This can be great if it was combined with climbing and parkour mods..

@thedeathrunner123 I am going to look at making a GMOTA patch today. I am working on making the addon universal so be looking forward to that for other mods.
Sorry for not answering earlier but I was sleeping

EDIT: find the GMOTA patch in the DropBox folder

Edited by Ivory Duke

@Armaetus that is a bit out of scope, but as I wrote in the post if anybody wants to try their hand at modifying the code and merging it with the mods you mention he/she should feel free to do so.
I do not mind in any way people creating their own thing from my work as long at it is mentioned I was the original creator of the Dusk movement