Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Delta Touch on Android

Hello fellow Doomers!  I was just wondering if there is anyone like myself that almost exclusively plays Doom through Delta Touch on Android?

My goal is to get the Delta Touch Wiki updated as well as pool user experiences for any tips and tricks with the different source ports included in the app.  And I want to keep it very user friendly, this app is a great way to introduce newcomers to the world of Doom modding, without overwhelming them with different UI's and stuff.

I would also like to get a spot where we can share our settings to get better performance on a per mod/wad basis.  Took way to long for me to realize that I should try every version of gzdoom before I give up on that wad because of a low framerate. (Thanks to an ancient unrelated zdoom forum post! :P)

I currently have 3 devices that run Delta, a pixel 2, Galaxy S7 and Acer r11 chromebook.

I just wanted to reach out to other Android only Doomers.

** As of 9-27-19 I have finally caved and purchased a new device! **. 

I am now the proud owner of a brand new Samsung Galaxy S10e!  I currently am setting up my new device for work, but I do have plans for Delta Touch, I even have a DeX compatible USB hub coming today to test out as well, I can't wait!

Edited by CrbnBased : Update on 9-27-19

11 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

Hello fellow Doomers!  I was just wondering if there is anyone like myself that almost exclusively plays Doom through Delta Touch on Android? 

My goal is to get the Delta Touch Wiki updated...

@CrbnBased I only use Delta/Quad Touch for DooM/Quake.

I have always had a positive experience with Delta Touch and its previous iteration, D-Touch. Ease of UI and consistent updates highlight the app, among the other features it has.

I think it'd be a great idea to create/update Doom wiki so people know what to expect and how to fully utilize the app to their best benefit. 

Wads/mods I've tried so far work great but there are some that my phone can't handle: Valiant, Vanguard, Sunlust.

Sigil, BDv21 (RC9), PB 2.03 run great, as well as maps of chaos (which is good shit right there) just to name a few. There's A LOT I have learned about the wad/mod community over the last few years that I haven't been a part of until then, I missed out on a lot, so to speak. 

So it'd be good to inform people based on their type of phone what wads/mods to use in general, how to effectively install them. Even information about internal and SD card usage. How to set up developer options (if not rooted) so other functions can be turned on, off or otherwise utilized. It helps with optimization of your phone's RAM/memory.

There really is a lot to relay to people about the app and keeping their phone's systems in check for best results (in general of course lol like a basic/better know how of doing these things)

Let me know what you think lol I am down to help whenever I have the free time to. I think before doing anything (myself included) we should reach out to @beloko and speak with him first.

As I am sure he would not mind it is his project and out of respect I think it would be best to ask first. 

My name is Nicholas, btw

Edited by Welfare Prodigy : Update

5 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

@CrbnBased I only use Delta/Quad Touch for DooM/Quake.

As I am sure he would not mind it is his project and out of respect I think it would be best to ask first. 

Yes for sure please do! This was started a long time ago which I meat to fill in but never had time: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Delta_Touch

It could be fleshed out. I am going to release V2 of the app very soon so may want to wait for that before doing any screen shots etc.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, beloko said:

Yes for sure please do! This was started a long time ago which I meat to fill in but never had time: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Delta_Touch

It could be fleshed out. I am going to release V2 of the app very soon so may want to wait for that before doing any screen shots etc.

Thanks!

Its last, and looks like first entry was at least a year ago. V2 sounds great! Can't wait to see what's coming. 

I'll wait for @CrbnBased to reply and waiting for V2 to release before updating sounds like a plan. 

I use delta touch a lot when in out and about, but I don't play much zdoom stuff at all so there really isn't anything for me to say about optimizing anything; the app does exactly what it's supposed to and everything is so self-explanatory that I wonder how it's possible to need help setting this up at all. I've used an LG g3 and g5, as well as my current Samsung galaxy s8 and I have no issues.

The only things I suppose that really would need to be taught to new Doomers using this app are merely the basics that any newcomer needs to learn when entering the doom community, such as what ports are and etc.

Then again maybe it would also be good to note to newcomers that despite doom being an old game, the newer/more advanced source ports require better system specs to be able to run smoothly, as does using opengl. Phones don't exactly have dedicated graphics cards, heh.

It's pretty good. I use GZDoom 3.2.5 with the Software renderer (the GL version lags with some maps on my current phone). I also capped the framerate because it make the controls feels more responsive for some reason.

Something I found pretty useful for controlling was to put a duplicate Fire button on the screen (left side). That way sometimes I can aim and fire at the same time without having to lift my right thumb you know what I'm saying? I've been getting better at it and managed to beat Doom on HMP.

Hi Nicholas, great that there is another like me who see's the potential in mobile Dooming/Quaking (I'm a Quad user myself, less time with the app though and haven't gotten to deep into tweaking it).

Beloko you have something amazing here, especially your controls, I wish every android FPS was as accurate and responsive as yours.  Didn't want to bug you since your last post about pipe-lining I've just been imagining you in a dark room listening to dark music furiously hammering keys to get that update out.  And I noticed that everyone was dismissing the app as a basic way to play doom, and I knew it was more robust than that.

To Fonze, you underestimate the power you hold in your hand!  Whether you have the US version or International version of the S8 you have a dedicated graphics chip that's independent of the multi core processor just like a PC.  Also your device can run OpenGL 3.2 as well as Vulkan!  Try 3DMark on the app store and on your PC to compare, these phones are powerful. I had the S7 and didn't want the Samsung bloat so I went with the Pixel, now I just envy Samsung DEX. I want to be able to dock into my tv with a cordless mouse and keyboard and charge at the same time without having to root my phone.

There is so much documentation about each source port I didn't want to do that again.  My main reason would be to answer questions about app specifics.

I've posted this before but this is all from my phone.

GZDev OpenGL 2 

I like my pixels crunchy so I don't have any texture filters, that gets me many frames.

Full lighting and scaled resolution 1080p, this was Maps of Chaos Hardcore I think, with Brutal Doom RC8 on HMP, I know the layout from previous plays but it's e1m1, like home with new additions.

First recording with the app didn't reduce performance.

Tried using all the functions of the touchscreen in this short video.

Do not underestimate this app, with some adjustments you can load all but the most demanding of Doom mods, but I'd like to pool our collective data and get some settings and adjustments to maximize this apps potential.

49 minutes ago, CrbnBased said:

Do not underestimate this app, with some adjustments you can load all but the most demanding of Doom mods

Truth. It depends on how you are utilizing your phone's CPU/GPU. You can force GPU rendering which will improve framerates, there's a big difference playing DooM just with this setting enabled alone.

Turning off window and transition animations which let the CPU think less and free up tasking. Even just having a good file explorer (ES File Explorer) to manage internal/external memory to know how much you're using and looking for what to get rid of.

It is useful when downloading wads/mods to extract files, making any new folders you need or want to for keeping them in. I personally still have an LG G5 (3 years old now) and with the exception of battery drain issues due to said age, I'm still running DooM and Quake with no issues. 

People don't use what they don't know or feel isn't good enough and with mobile gaming in general if you don't know how to optimize your phone you won't get into it. 

@CrbnBased look into an HDMI to USB cable (assuming your phone's have a Type-C like mine) linking to a TV via HDMI will ensure less to none in feedback providing steady quality video streaming versus Bluetooth or other connection. 

Nice video btw, I only use Bluetooth controllers when I play more specifically Moga Pro and Moga Power Pro. Even before D/Delta Touch, I could never get the hang of touch controls and beloko's are more intuitive than anything I've used. (Namco made Ridge Racer Slipstream for Android and its touch controls weren't that great)

I do have USB C in my Pixel 2, but it has no HDMI or MHL compatibility.  I can't even stream to miracast, only Chromecast.  The pixel 2 was great for updates and stock Android but horrible if I wanted to make it into a micro portable Android PC.  My old phone, a Galaxy S7, which I still have, also has no HDMI or MHL compatibility.  This feature was present in the previous s6 as well as the following s8!  I have the worst luck regarding my phone decisions.

I also have a moga pro, but it's very cumbersome to carry around, and I didn't use it for much.  Tried touch controls on a few popular Android games and most seemed lacking something, either responsiveness, or fine tuning.  D touch and Delta Touch always had great responsiveness, it was harder to circle strafe but you could do it with practice.  With the addition of gyro functionality it became something more, so much closer to full mouse control.  Now I can respond faster than with any controller, my gyro is a bit over 1:1 so if I overshoot with the stick I can adjust back, it's so intuitive.  I have 20 years of Doom to catch up on and no PC to do so, I commend Beloko for giving someone like me a way to do so, all from my smartphone.

It's not my primary way to play doom, but I occasionally use delta on my nexus 10 tablet with a ps4 controller through the sixaxis app and its great. The tablet is old as heck now, so it does stutter a bit on some of the big maps. Also one thing I've discovered to come in handy is that if I hook it up to a monitor or something, the nexus 10 has an absurdly high resolution for the hardware and trying to run at full res on the tablet, plus mirroring that onto a monitor will kill the framerate. Using an app like SecondScreen to reduce the resolution android uses seems to help alleviate that problem. Maybe that will be applicable to other setups as well, I dunno how good modern tablet/phone hardware is nowadays.

@siteod phone processors are very comparable to today's PCs (comparable, not better) in that they offer high quality streaming for movies and faster app loading times on top of processing power for smooth effective frame rates for gaming. 

To put in a bit of perspective, games such as 360/PS3 quality can run on newer (2016+) phones. I can run DooM III on my phone and the game itself is smooth but the app itself sucks, it was made in 2015 I think and never really had any updates. Nividia has a DooM III BFG Edition app, comes with everything (partnered with id software) ready to play III, RoE & The Lost Missions.

That's why I like using Delta/Quad Touch. It's amazing that you can play the original DooM games and pretty much everything from the DooM community on a smartphone or tablet using such a high quality app. The majority of my 20+ years DooM experience was on console starting with PS1. Even playing the OG games on limited edition DooM titles, it isn't the same as PC or something like this. 

2 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

I do have USB C in my Pixel 2, but it has no HDMI or MHL compatibility.  I can't even stream to miracast, only Chromecast.  The pixel 2 was great for updates and stock Android but horrible if I wanted to make it into a micro portable Android PC.  My old phone, a Galaxy S7...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273766994619

If you can pull that link, if not let me know I will take a screenshot*

That should work for your S7, you may need an MHL adapter too but they are out there at least for it. 

I can use a straight HDMI to USB Type-C for the G5, just need to get one lol

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

17 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

maps of chaos

Nice to see another fan of my IWAD map edits.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that dock, even if it doesn't work I have another upgrade in October, it'll probably work with my next phone.  Android Pie's successor is supposed to support a desktop mode, that'll be amazing.

I actually built a wierd rig for my old s7 so I could charge as well as use multiple USB devices, but without rooting, I can't do much.  I left it at work but I'll have to snap a pic.

I was curious about those maps you mentioned Valiant and Sunlust.  I got them and both they ran really well with no slowdown with basic and smooth Doom, didn't try any other mods yet.  I've been playing order of the Odonata and Hurt in different configurations, but still get frequent drops in fps.  I even tried that Doom Remake 4 with models and such and that did everything except pbr materials at a playable framerate.

hey, like even when you're not on your computer, you can play doom on your phone like delta touch my guy, i had delta touch for three months and its smooth depending on what types of wads you play, or it could be your phone, but fps is also depending on the phone ram, it would sometimes lag out.Screenshot_20190604-221158.png.2703fb097fe4bf36c76b54936cb8c5fa.pngScreenshot_20190604-221612.png.08f4923eeb04821a0aed9843c96df902.png

Edited by Jeremixh

11 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Nice to see another fan of my IWAD map edits.

@Glaice Thank you for what you did with MoC it is by far my favorite of everything I have tried so far. Am new-ish by a few years or so to the wad/mod community but definitely appreciate the work. Now I know who made it I can look up other stuff you've done.

6 minutes ago, CrbnBased said:

I was curious about those maps you mentioned Valiant and Sunlust.  I got them and both they ran really well with no slowdown with basic and smooth Doom, didn't try any other mods yet.  I've been playing order of the Odonata and Hurt in different configurations, but still get frequent drops in fps.  I even tried that Doom Remake 4 with models and such and that did everything except pbr materials at a playable framerate.

@CrbnBased while I haven't tried them again recently and before really configuring phone/GZDoom settings I assume it's due to my phone capabilities. My G5 is 3 years old too. It runs fine for the most part but notice issues with using it even with built in apps. It runs hot a lot (bought new battery for it from LG 5 months ago) whether charging or not.

I maintain it very well but I can't expect it to last forever. I will try them again tho, it was last year when I did last and before really understanding optimization in/GZDoom in general. 

Slightly off topic, but.... Poor Commander Keen.

After a 10ish year hiatus due to Wolf, DooM and Quake, he didn't do too well being ported to GBA. 

History is repeating itself again, I wonder how it will do on mobile? 

I wonder what the "Ideas from the Deep" team think about that news?

@CrbnBased Sunlust actually runs really good, Valiant still not so much and I re-tried Hurt.Wad, still crashes on me. Weird how something of a small wad like Hurt lags and crashes but Sunlust being at least twice Hurt's size and it now runs really good? 

^

I do but don't understand, if that makes sense? I get it from a technical aspect, the differences between the two but also don't due to the same reasons and that is because I never got into creating custom wads to have that basic understanding.

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

One thing i quite like about delta touch is that you can set different sensitivities for horizontal and vertical looking (which you can do in gzdoom but i never saw the point on pc). Really makes the touch aiming feel a lot better to not have to worry as much about up and down, and just lower that sensitivity

Today is a great day!  Just got a notification that Delta Touch got a new update!  I haven't tried anything yet but I am so excited to try all the new features.

I've been downloading wads in preparation for this and will try to put a few first impressions together.

1 hour ago, CrbnBased said:

Today is a great day!  Just got a notification that Delta Touch got a new update!  I haven't tried anything yet but I am so excited to try all the new features.

I've been downloading wads in preparation for this and will try to put a few first impressions together.

Yeah added Zandronum and gzdoom 4, what device have you got? Gzdoom 4 needs GLES 3.2 and a very powerful device, but now the shaders work. 

1 hour ago, beloko said:

Yeah added Zandronum and gzdoom 4, what device have you got? Gzdoom 4 needs GLES 3.2 and a very powerful device, but now the shaders work. 

thank you for making gz4 an additional option, while maintaining the previous versions for us low end folks

5 hours ago, beloko said:

Zandronum

Omg the hype and it's 3.0

Edited by Fonze

I use Delta Touch on my Kindle Fire HD 10 tablet with the Xbox One gamepad.  So worth the purchase from the Play Store.

6 hours ago, beloko said:

Got a Snapdragon 835 in my main device and  and a Snapdragon 820 in my backup.  Also have an Acer R11 chromebook that has an Intel N3150, I think it does opengl 3.2, no vulkan though.  I played around for only about a half hour and only on my main device.  Just one question though, is vulkan supported through the app, I tried running Hurt with both opengl and vulkan but didn't see much difference, neither crashed though, which is nice.

I know my G5 has an 820Snapdragon but didn't realize its OpenGl ES version is 3.2, it says 3.1 & 3.2 but holy shit lol this 3 year old phone has some shit in it hahaha. GZDoom 4 runs really smooth, a lot better than 3.2

I had been using 1.9.1 for the longest time cause things ran so much better. Since I am not too familiar with the different GZDoom types, what is the difference between 1.9, 3.2, & Dev?

Hi there, the app is pretty awesome I've been playing a bit, played gzdoom 1.9 from my phone in co-op with my father who was on his computer.. Was pretty happy to have it work anyhow, 

I got a little question here..

how does the zandronum port from the new update work? I can only see a couple servers in the browser list and on pc I see much more