Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Delta Touch on Android

1 hour ago, CrbnBased said:

We'd have to find out the best source port to use based on what's available for each different OS.

The only sane choice available for Android users using delta touch is Zandronum, as none of the other 4 ports have client/server network code.

19 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

One of these days we'll have to get some people together from the doomworld community to play some online deathwatch with. No mods, just straight up DooM.

Agreed! It'll be good fun to frantically and clumsily bump around maps barely attempting to get frags while fighting the touchscreen controls with others playing in the same playing field. At this point tho rather than say "we should totally do x one day..." we now should be saying anytime, anywhere, since that's what we have here :)

1 hour ago, Fonze said:

....we should be saying anytime, anywhere, since that's what we have here :)

Lol true statement, I update mine to that. A time frame needs to be set, as I'm sure we are (maybe) from different parts of the world. 

I am in Columbus, Ohio USA. @Fonze & @CrbnBased & if @beloko (among others who read this) where is everyone from? 

MP is so different too, much more fast paced. I was messing around with bots on Zandronum the other day,

(hard to find MP match, I don't feel like downloading a bunch of wads to be compat. with any one server)

and forgot how fast paced it is. I miss playing DM in either E1M1, E2M1, NRFTL Level 1 Earth Base, and want to try the MP levels of Sigil too. E1M2 is a good level with more than 2 people. 

And, the nostalgia of PSX DooM system link, the good ol days lol

Honestly I'm not really interested in playing any types of dm's on any iWad maps other than maybe a quickie on map01 or map07; we would have much more fun on actual dm maps which have been proven to be fun to play by standing the test of time. Several dwangos, brit+exec, greenwar, and basically every map in duel40b.pk3 would be great fun for old school fragging and are all wads you'll see played regularly. If you're going to go online though there's a good chance you'll have to download random resource wads anyway though; for example tspg servers autoload a newtextcolors pk3. Doomshack servers seem to mostly if not all use the newtextcolors pk3 in addition to connectsfx.pk3 and zandrospree-something.pk3. If I set this up or otherwise participate I'll share the link that I'll use to pass files to my phone so folks can have a convenient way to download all relevant wads, but I think you'll get a better turnout using wads that people like to play.

Additionally, doom 1 deathmatch is severely lacking due to the nonexistence of the ssg, so we would want to do doom 2, or tnt or plutonia but not everybody has those latter two so doom2.wad it would be.

That all said, I just don't find the iWad maps as they are to flow well enough for fun deathmatches/duels, but luckily for us many of the better ones have been modified like a thousand times and some of the best dm maps are edited/reimagined iWad maps. Again, you're very likely to play any of the wads I mentioned in the future if you dm often so you might as well get them now.

I think duel/small maps would be best suited for this as folks will be uncoordinated to begin with, plus for newer players it would be good to have less map area to learn and areas that flow well making them easy to navigate at random. There are plenty of pwads with maps that fit this bill, but iWad maps will only have going for them a vague familiarity, (mp pickups will still have to be learned plus there are pistol spawns) and most also will likely be too large to foster a match that wont become boring, especially among players playing with what is basically a major handicap. Imagine 3-4 people slowly fumbling through the dark hallways of map03 underequipped for battle other than the one guy who spawned near the ssg, and that's just the third map. By contrast many pwad dm maps are easy to learn with concise design and foster quick gameplay that gets you equipped and lets you get back into the fray as soon as possible.

Just some stuff to think about :)

As for my time zone I'm on the east coast, though with this being on the phone I can basically play a quick match any time I'm not literally doing something, like working, sleeping, or staring at an unfinished map in db expecting it to finish itself. I could play a match at work on break, which while not being something I see happening, is nuts. Dot wad. But that also means it should be easier to set up casual matches, because when bored dm is literally right at your fingertips always now.

The accessibility of doom mp/dm this brings to the table could help bring more people into the mp/dm community, which is something I find awesome. It may be good to look into either making a discord server for mobile doom or asking for a channel to be added in the existing mp servers for mobile duming to serve as a place for people to not only set up matches but maybe also to find/make quick matches.

True (to all that lol) and no, anything after the second level in anything wouldn't be fun at all, I've tried before lol it sucks. I have all the licensed iwads.

I have most console versions of DooM, from PS1-360 with the exception of DooM64 & SNES DooM (shouldn't have sold those) 

If you have Google Drive (first 15 gigs of storage are free) you could compile one zip folder containing all the downloads you described and make it shareable, provide people with the link to download it. I keep back ups of all my DooM/Quake/Wolf stuff in it. It is also good storage management to keep other things there so I have as much free space on my phone for other stuff to download. 

Smaller maps are always best for dm and I've always been partial to CQB myself, not everyone likes that but if a map is too big, it's very easy to lose interest, which is why E1&2M1 are good. It would be nice to see what people have been playing on all these years tho, I saw your video you linked the other day and thought it was amazing. 

2 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

If you have Google Drive (first 15 gigs of storage are free) you could compile one zip folder containing all the downloads you described and make it shareable, provide people with the link to download it. I keep back ups of all my DooM/Quake/Wolf stuff in it. It is also good storage management to keep other things there so I have as much free space on my phone for other stuff to download. 

While I am willing to zip up wads for a particular play session for easy access for others, I won't be hosting an entire repertoire of wads. Instead, I think it'd be best to direct folks over to https://www.doomshack.org/ for a complete list of wads and downloads for them.

The Classic Multiplayer Doom discord server made a channel for mobile dewming, here's an invite link for the server:

https://discord.gg/X8dTFGP

Edited by Fonze

@Fonze doomshack is really cool, seeing all those archived DooM sites abandoned over the years.

I'll look into those downloads soon, it's been forever since playing MP on anything, let alone DooM. 

Forgive the ignorance but what is discord and what does it do? I made a profile for it awhile ago to download Project Brutality 3.0 beta but that's about it, life sucks you away and get out of touch with things.

Discord is a program with text and voice chat geared towards gamers which can be used to coordinate matches/etc or find people available for quick games. For all intents and purposes it has replaced the use of irc as a means to talk to other doomers in real time.

@CrbnBased Hey, any chance you could upload the plastic textures mod somewhere? I'm looking to get them but didn't have the chance to download before they got taken down.

On 6/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, -TDRR- said:

@CrbnBased Hey, any chance you could upload the plastic textures mod somewhere? I'm looking to get them but didn't have the chance to download before they got taken down.

Wow, everything I'm experimenting with is getting pulled.  I'll see what I can do to reupload, there's a lighter option that loads faster and is less pronounced that I got off of Doomworld.  Search for PBR materials, those look quite nice in the mod compilation I am currently experimenting with.

Just realized that these photos are still the old Plastic Shaders.pk3, looks like I didn't remove it from the load order and thought these were the PBR materials from the Doomworld thread.  The file for the plastic textures did not come with a credits.txt and the uploader has completely disappeared, it looks like it was attached as an addon to Brutal Doom on moddb and the page now only has SgtmarkIV credited.  I've tried to see if the original poster had the file rehosted somewhere else, but after searching for hours I don't know what else to do.  I don't want to re-upload without proper credit given, but I can't even find the name of the creator.  I've created an account on Moddb to see if I can reupload, but without any information about the original author, and the recent C&D of DR4, I am apprehensive to put it back up.  Is there a way I can make it available for distribution without any negative effects for me?  This seems to be the only mod of it's kind that was available publicly, which is a shame.

Screenshot_20190615-080343.png

Screenshot_20190615-192429.png

Edited by CrbnBased

Does anyone know exactly what the "use alternative touch code (may fix touch screen issues)" option changes?

@beloko

I've been playing a lot of Doom using Delta Touch on my Moto X4 and started noticing that a lot of my touch inputs would go ignored by DT, usually the area for look rotation. I'd have to pick my finger back up and reapply it to the screen for DT to register the look movement again.

I looked through the settings and found this option and turned it on. So far it fixed my issues with inputs sometimes being ignored and overall feels much more responsive. Im just curious what this option does to change the touch behaviour and if it's in there because of different hardware configurations (like my Moto X4 I guess?)

@Blitzy you can re-size the touch controls too, I can make a quick video and YouTube link it to show you, it'd be easier than trying to explain it.

Update: 

Forgive the fact I use a Moga Pro controller and not used to the touch controls lol. Basically, using your thumb/index finger, you can zoom in and out to resize. When I made it smaller I could not look, move and shoot at the same time but overlapping the pad "window" with the shoot pad itself I can. 

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the app (back up your wads/mods lol) See if that works without using the alt touch code. @beloko is obviously the only one to answer your question correctly but maybe this can help too?

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

Yeah I discovered the ability to resize the pads as well when trying to debug the input interrupt issue I was having.

I actually have them both taking up the the full half of each side of screen so that there isn't a drop-off zone that I'll accidentally hit.

I know its a weirdly specific question that only one guy could answer haha.

I guess I'm just curious from a software developer perspective as I work as one myself during the day. I do a lot of work with mobile devices too and was just curious what the circumstances were that warranted the needed alternative approach to the touch code in order to get around some weird issue. I just find that kind of stuff interesting 🤔 😉

Maybe too time consuming to overhaul the touch mechanics? May not be something that's affects too many people so a simple patch is easier to resolve the issue. 

I have an LG G5 and honestly, I am surprised that as old as my phone is that I can do and run (almost) anything on it. 

12 hours ago, Blitzy said:

Does anyone know exactly what the "use alternative touch code (may fix touch screen issues)" option changes?

@beloko

I've been playing a lot of Doom using Delta Touch on my Moto X4 and started noticing that a lot of my touch inputs would go ignored by DT, usually the area for look rotation. I'd have to pick my finger back up and reapply it to the screen for DT to register the look movement again.

I looked through the settings and found this option and turned it on. So far it fixed my issues with inputs sometimes being ignored and overall feels much more responsive. Im just curious what this option does to change the touch behaviour and if it's in there because of different hardware configurations (like my Moto X4 I guess?)

Hi, for the touch input I tried a couple if implementations to decode the multitouch pointer id's, the code used is here:

https://github.com/emileb/AndroidCore_OpenTouch/blob/23a069b5b91e3c6103eae0f7ce6c0260381e307d/androidcore/src/main/java/com/opentouchgaming/androidcore/controls/ControlInterpreter.java#L76

I found on some devices one version of the implementation worked better than the other, to be honest I'm not exactly sure why so I decided to keep both.

There is also another fundamental problem when using multitouch in a fast-paced game. The issue comes when you have one thumb down (say the left), then you lift it and at *exactly* the same time press down with the other thumb (right). The problem is the touch screen driver can not see the difference between this, and instead moving your first thumb extremely fast to the other side of the screen. So occasionally this happens and it looks like the user just slid their thumb from one side to the other very quickly (instead of swapping which thumb is down) - it even interpolates some points in-between.

I have had to put in some code which tries to detect this and not make the game view suddenly spin around, but it's not perfect.

Very interesting the 'alternative touch code' make it better for you, thanks for letting me know!

Oh cool, I didn't realize you had your stuff public.

Yeah I dunno what it is exactly but that pointer history comparison you have in the alternate pointer code portion seems to have been what solved the issue I was having. It's not perfect, if I move the look pointer really really slowly it doesn't like to register until I've moved it over some threshold distance and then the camera view will snap the rotation using the full travel distance of the pointer. This only seems to be the case with the right trackpad however, as the movement trackpad takes subtle pointer movements just fine.

In practice, I don't really play Doom with extremely subtle finger movements so it's a non-issue for this particular game. I was just playing around trying to stress test the input to make sure it didnt end up ignoring some of my touches like in the default mode, and was just something I noticed that was unique to the alternate touch mode.

Edited by Blitzy : more info

So I owned D-Touch and now I have Delta Touch... I'm using Delta Touch with GZDoom, and while doom2.wad loads just fine, doom.wad crashes it.

Anyone experiencing this? Prboom+ and Zandronum work just fine.

3 hours ago, noisebloom said:

So I owned D-Touch and now I have Delta Touch... I'm using Delta Touch with GZDoom, and while doom2.wad loads just fine, doom.wad crashes it.

Anyone experiencing this? Prboom+ and Zandronum work just fine.

What file size is doom.wad? If its doom1.wad disable the loading of lights.pk3. Also try copying it over again incase corrupt. 

8 hours ago, beloko said:

What file size is doom.wad? If its doom1.wad disable the loading of lights.pk3. Also try copying it over again incase corrupt. 

It's doom1.wad, originally obtained from The Ultimate Doom off Steam. The file size is 4.0 mb. Is lights.pk3 automatically loaded? I can't find a cli arg that disabled already loaded files. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

It's doom1.wad, originally obtained from The Ultimate Doom off Steam. The file size is 4.0 mb. Is lights.pk3 automatically loaded? I can't find a cli arg that disabled already loaded files. Thanks!

its in the little settings icon next to the GZ icon

and i think the reason doom1 crashes is because you cannot run mods with the shareware version

1 hour ago, unpleasantmarine said:

and i think the reason doom1 crashes is because you cannot run mods with the shareware version

Thanks guys. I must have done something screwy, because I definitely have doom.wad on my computer. No idea where I got the shareware WAD from... Will investigate later. 

2 hours ago, unpleasantmarine said:

Yes this is exactly it. I could have removed this limitation but it's in the original license so left it in.

After reading this thread I invested my hard earned Google credits in a download of Delta Touch. Will be hitting up the included FreeDoom over my lunchbreak at work!

Haven't had a chance to post in a while, but I've still been playing Delta Touch.  I recently purchased a set of gaming triggers for my phone.  They ran about $5 US for the kind with 2 triggers per side.  Here's a link but it looks like they're cheaper now. 

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Vanpower-Trigger-Joysticks-Fortnite/dp/B07GFP9KLZ/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7A33R6603Q23NYP3NJV9  

I've attached a photo so you can see them.  These have definitely helped and I really only need one to be effective with just standard Doom.  Sometimes it leads to a problem with multi-touch, but it's extremely rare.  Now I don't have to rely on gyro as much, and it's small enough to always have with me.

I am loving these triggers, really helps with harder slaughtermaps, moving and now being able to tap the fire button is much better for ammo consumption.  And setup was a breeze because I'm able to resize buttons and move everything around, I've included a picture as well with all custom buttons as well.  Still looking for a good place for the rarely used jump button though, putting it on a trigger felt weird.  

When playing TC's like Adventures of Square or Castlevania, jumping is difficult, but essential.  Anyone have any pointers about possible positions for the jump icon?

MVIMG_20190629_131122.jpg

Screenshot_20190629-134846.png

Replace jump with kick, bottom right of screen? I guess it really depends where your thumbs are. You could try just under the right movement pad, just outside of its movement window, so you aren't looking and jumping at the same time.

Those look cool as shit, I never would have thought to look for something like that. I saw thumb sticks too, can you have those AND the triggers paired at the same time?

(I don't think Bluetooth can have more than one thing paired at the same time)

I love my Moga's but I want something that's more practical like that when outside of the home, I don't mind carrying it if I had to but less is more!

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

23 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

Replace jump with kick, bottom right of screen? I guess it really depends where your thumbs are. You could try just under the right movement pad, just outside of its movement window, so you aren't looking and jumping at the same time.

Those look cool as shit, I never would have thought to look for setting like that. I saw thumb sticks too, can you have those AND the triggers paired at the same time?

(I don't think Bluetooth can have more than one thing paired at the same time)

I love my Moga's but I want something that's more practical like that when outside of the home, I don't mind carrying it if I had to but less is more!

What's nice about these is it just is a soft metal contact, no Bluetooth, no batteries. It just clips onto the caseless phone and conducts your fingers through the metal triggers to simulate a touch.  What I dream would exist would be a clip on case that has just an analog nub and 2 triggers, the screen is just way more responsive to look with than any controller.  A controller similar to a Nintendo Switch Joycon that attaches to any phone would be ideal.  Look at the Nubia Red Magic 3 and it's controller add-on, it's on the left side only.  If I had the extra money I'd snatch up that phone so fast, just to run Delta/Quad Touch!

Hey @beloko, is the source code to this released? The GPL'd Zandronum would be of particular use to quite a lot of people, including me.

I side loaded this onto my Nvidia Shield and it works great.  The only issue I had, was that I couldn't used the gamepad to select the advanced options for vertical look so that I could enable inversion.  I was able to do so after connecting a mouse.  Performance with Brutal Doom was great.

I just recently picked up Delta Touch and am having a blast with it, best $2.50 I've spent in a while. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to save those custom buttons for Brutal Doom or Brutal Doom 2 as when I leave the game and come back later all their settings have been erased. I use these for grenade, flashlight, reload, melee, and dual wield which are all pretty important to have quick access to.

4 hours ago, vtrickzv said:

I just recently picked up Delta Touch and am having a blast with it, best $2.50 I've spent in a while. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to save those custom buttons for Brutal Doom or Brutal Doom 2 as when I leave the game and come back later all their settings have been erased. I use these for grenade, flashlight, reload, melee, and dual wield which are all pretty important to have quick access to.

You have to exit the game through the Quit Game option on the title screen to save any settings.  This has been a common issue since the beginning, since it only updates the .ini when shutting down the sourceport.  It won't save if it crashes or you shut down through the OS.