Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Delta Touch on Android

These are nice designs!  Hopefully they actually produce these, I'd definitely pick them up.

I'm so excited for the future of mobile gaming, and have been slowly building a library of premium titles and PC ports.  An article released 2 days ago touched on what I've believed for a while now, and the controller article

10 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

With streaming game services being the next generations focus our phones will become gaming devices, it's the next big market and it's almost ready.

I've been trying to find like minded individuals that see mobile as the next big thing in gaming.

A great example is the Nintendo Switch, it's just a Tegra x1 4GB of ram and 256 cuda core gfx processor.  The actual specs are well below top ARM chips right now except in one area, driver support.  Because it's one device with a standard they can squeeze more out of the chip, like most console systems.  They don't have to rely on software and hardware fragmentation.  With most phone manufacturers now using a more stock Android experience and the way Google is setting up Android Q these drivers can be supported through the OS and not left to the manufacturer.  Also Vulkan has be underused in mobile, but being only a few years old we're finally seeing it being chosen instead of opengl es, and the code is cross compatible with desktop, so you don't lose features when downscaling to mobile.  This is the only reason that Doom (2016) is on the Switch, my phone can run this if I just had the driver compatibility, come on Qualcomm!  They're bringing Witcher 3 to Switch as well, not on a streaming service, but the whole game!

If examples like Doom (2016), Witcher 3, Skyrim, La Noir, Mario Oddysey, Warframe, Smash Bros., LoZ: BOTW, and other very impressive titles can run on what is essentially a mobile phone with USB-C charge and display output, something that has been available on Android for years.

It's coming soon, I'm predicting it, the overhaul of the play store is right around the corner with Android Q.  Desktop mode built in will allow us to dock our phones like the Switch and play with whatever controller we want.  Streaming services will allow for more demanding titles to be offloaded into the cloud.  I can't wait until I can come home from work and just slap my phone in the dock under my tv and sit on the couch with my mouse and keyboard, or controller, and then just take it with me when I head out.  Delta Touch inspired me to look at Android as a more mature OS and it got me reading about all that is in the pipeline for it.  It is going to focus on gaming, that is where the next big evolution will be, that's where the money is.

Me and some folks been getting some great duels and coop sessions in on Delta Touch's Zandronum lately, would be great to see you two in game some time :)

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Me and some folks been getting some great duels and coop sessions in on Delta Touch's Zandronum lately, would be great to see you two in game some time :)

I just got a Discord account today, haven't had a moment to look at the app.  It's my busy season at my shop so I've not had any time to much else.  I have a ton of original game artwork that I have to get ready for the CCAG.

I'm swamped, but happy about it.

58 minutes ago, CrbnBased said:

I just got a Discord account today, haven't had a moment to look at the app.  It's my busy season at my shop so I've not had any time to much else.  I have a ton of original game artwork that I have to get ready for the CCAG.

I'm swamped, but happy about it.

Hey that's sweet; best of luck at ccag!

Discord is pretty easy to use and very convenient for communication; you may want to change your notification settings to only include @ mentions, as well as suppress @here and @everyone notifications if you find those general callouts to be problematic, though people don't use those like they used to so it's not as bad anymore. 

If we can get enough of us mobile users in the Classic Multiplayer Doom discord and generate some activity we can also get a role to use for calling out matches to each other as a group.

Anyway, I hope your shop's busy season goes well and you have some good fun at ccag!

I posted this in the video thread but it also seems appropriate to post here that a delta touch user using touch screen controls, lessthanpropane, snuck out an impressive win in a samsara ffa against mouse+kb players on PC ;D

4 hours ago, Fonze said:

I posted this in the video thread but it also seems appropriate to post here that a delta touch user using touch screen controls, lessthanpropane, snuck out an impressive win in a samsara ffa against mouse+kb players on PC ;D

This is great, !  I noticed that his mouselook isn't on.  This leads me to a quick question, when joining a game online in Zandronum will it change your settings based on server settings, or would everyone have their own settings?

Nah his mouselook was on, demo just doesn't record it for other players. Yo I can see when he fires without aiming at a player, his shots don't go straight forward.

Settings depend on what they are as far as if they'll be affected by server rules. Look at is as: everything that can give a competitive edge to a player over a player playing under vanilla's settings will be affected, so like if you don't have mouselook on, a server with freeaim enabled won't affect you, but the other way around, you cannot use freeaim if the server doesn't allow it.

I wanted to let everyone know of an experiment that I did with Delta Touch, Quad Touch and RTCW touch.

I own a MOGA power pro and I don't really like using it for mobile Dooming.  It's the aim stick, even with gyro and tweaks to sensitivity it just feels clunky and slow compared to touch look.  The opposite could be said about touch movement, where having the controllers analog stick would help, because getting caught on something in the environment seems to be easier to do and harder to correct.

So I decided to see if I could do both with my controller, and it worked amazingly, it was just uncomfortable for long play sessions.  I tried it on Quad touch as well and can see that the combo is a game changer.  Movement was made trivial, aiming was as fast as a mouse, and gyro for overcorrection was perfect.  It didn't work with Beloko's older RTCW Touch, it seemed that you could touch the screen or use the controller but not both at the same time.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a more comfortable controller for this style of gameplay, since 2 of my favorite apps can use it.  

https://www.amazon.com/Touchroller-GameSir-One-Handed-Controller-Bluetooth/dp/B07RBTM75M

This is what I'm thinking, I'll also try to post some gameplay with the controller touch combo.  I'm currently working through Scythe, had to restart since I got to a level where there are to many enemies for my phone to handle with GZDoom.  Went to PRBoom+ and no drop in frames so far.

10 hours ago, jcmejiajpn said:

How do I use vulkan on a galaxy s10 running snapdragon 855 through delta touch 

Currently Delta Touch doesn't support the Vulkan API, even though it's an option in GZDoom.  Beloko has said he isn't very familiar with it and hasn't enabled it yet, but I'm sure it'll be an option at some point.  Currently most high end phones support up to OpenGL ES 3.2, and I know newer versions of GZDoom require higher than that.  I have yet to have any issues with anything other than shaders, really high enemy counts, and ultra high detail mapsets on my Pixel 2 with Snapdragon 835.

Currently you have one of the best chipsets on the market, I'd love to hear about how it performs for you with Delta Touch.  My upgrade is soon and I'm considering switching to a Samsung just so I can have DeX.

I made an edit but I wanted to do a slight bump to get the discussion going again!  I have, after some debate, upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S10e.  I'm currently setting it up for work and once I'm done with that it's time to optimize Delta Touch!

My model has the following specs.

Snapdragon 855 Octa Core CPU (about 75% faster than my previous pixel 2, currently top chipset)

Adreno 640 GPU

8GB Ram (About 4GB stays free for gaming, Samsung One UI seems to use a ton of RAM, up from 4 in the Pixel 2)

256 GB Built in Storage (Can now record longer videos and hold larger texture sets, limited to under 15GB on pixel 2)

1080p Dynamic AMOLED (cuts down on black crush, res perfect for 5.9in screen.)

USB - C port has full access!  (HDMI out, charge and sync, DeX station compatibility!  No more stuck on a small form factor!)

I have only played around a little bit with the new device and Delta Touch, but I'm impressed so far with GZDoom 4.0 performance improvements.  I posted a picture of the upgrade!  I'll probably be posting some first impressions after I get in and recofigure the settings.  Got almost all the settings transferred except my touch control layouts.

From this!

MVIMG_20190611_174337.jpg

To this!

IMG_20190928_103511.jpg

Edited by CrbnBased : Spelling

Hey all i have an issue with the app, so i just downloaded the app 2 days ago and i experianced an issue where if i spam any button on my screen all the buttons will stop working i can only move and look around but thats about it and this only happens if i spam any button, is there a fox for that?

On 12/2/2019 at 5:17 AM, TheHit_61x said:

Hey all i have an issue with the app, so i just downloaded the app 2 days ago and i experianced an issue where if i spam any button on my screen all the buttons will stop working i can only move and look around but thats about it and this only happens if i spam any button, is there a fox for that?

I dunno why you need one, but yes, it exists:

Screenshot_Doom_20170130_142046.png

On a non-comical note, You mention you spam any button. So what are you trying to do so?

• Assign buttons to new pointers?
  • Pressing multiple virtual buttons at once (Phones do support multitouch, but not all, and the app may not support it either)

You can still move and look around which requires using a virtual button, so hence why i ask. It is not clear what you are specifically saying you are actually doing.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, TheHit_61x said:

Seems like it may be an issue with multi-touch and your device.  I haven't been able to replicate your issue with my devices so it may be device specific.  Some phones have poor multi-touch support and may not sense more than 2 fingers at the same time, this is mostly on very old or very inexpensive phones.

I have a few questions though,

What is your device? (Most important)

Which source port did you use?

"Spam any button" sounds like you may be playing with a mod that has weapons with non vanilla fire rate, if so, does it happen when playing without it?

You can always try the alternative touch code in the left settings panel on the main screen.  This is code that Beloko has added to help with multi-touch issues.

10 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I can't figure out how to jump in games other than Hexen, or alt-fire.

Jumping may be disabled by the map designer since vanilla Doom never had it.  You can use GZDoom, Zandronum, and LZDoom and activate it in the source port settings, under gameplay, the other ports won't allow jumping in Doom.  Hexen was the first Doom engine game to have jumping available so it's on by default.

For alt fire you need to enter your game and add the button to the screen.  The center gear when playing opens up the on screen controller options, from there you're able to pick what buttons you want to see onscreen.  There's a set of white buttons as well as a color coded additional set for more customization.

I'm trying to jump in my own stuff, and I've played all the vanilla games.   I look around in options in Delta Touch outside of running the ports and can't find anything about jump except setting a gamepad button which I don't have for my phone, beyond plain touch screen controls.   Running a port I go to gameplay options and change allow jumping from default to YES and no jump feature appears on my screen like in Hexen.  I choose new game to restart the map and it's changed back from yes to default. 

I press the gear.  First a  grid appears I can't seem to do anything with.   Press the gear again, the weapon selection keys appear.   I press it again, a big skull surrounded by 0 through 9 dials appears.  It's highlighted purple and all I can do is drag it around the screen.

So far all I've messed with is Zandronum and GZDoom within Delta Touch.

7 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Thanks, got it.

8 hours ago, Fonze said:

shtayTW.gif

Thanks Fonze, much better with a GIF!

@Gokuma those other numbers and the skull are weapon select menus.  I myself don't use the numbers much, but during gameplay you can touch and hold the center of the screen to activate the weapon wheel and quickly switch weapons.  I would encourage you to play around with those menus and get a feel of what you can change to make the controls just right.  Also if you have your maps posted online I'd love to try them!

I don't have much good single player out to my name yet but that will soon change.   In the meantime, here's a Strife map that should be some fun to mess around in: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/strife/lamasery 

Here's Hexen map01 converted to Strife: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8oild6mp2j3ri9e/winnow.zip/file

Lamasery replaces map01, Winnow replaces map05, and Strife starts on map02 as its central hub. 

I'm contributing a SP map to the ongoing Hexen project Realms of Cronos.   There's this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/110273-entry-hangar-various-map01e1m1-file-updated-1117-746am/  And getting back to work on a big project after my Hexen map is finished and Delta Touch has been great for showing my progress on that to local friends.  Oh here's something trippy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bbd49pl3s1zxtwb/1m1e.zip/file

Edited by Gokuma

On 12/6/2019 at 9:32 AM, Gokuma said:

I don't have much good single player out to my name yet but that will soon change.   In the meantime, here's a Strife map that should be some fun to mess around in: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/strife/lamasery 

Here's Hexen map01 converted to Strife: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8oild6mp2j3ri9e/winnow.zip/file

Lamasery replaces map01, Winnow replaces map05, and Strife starts on map02 as its central hub. 

I'm contributing a SP map to the ongoing Hexen project Realms of Cronos.   There's this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/110273-entry-hangar-various-map01e1m1-file-updated-1117-746am/  And getting back to work on a big project after my Hexen map is finished and Delta Touch has been great for showing my progress on that to local friends.  Oh here's something trippy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bbd49pl3s1zxtwb/1m1e.zip/file

Haven't gotten very far in Strife yet, this'll give me some incentive to play it again, thanks!

1m1e reminds me of Ziggurat Vertigo, trippy indeed, disable mouse look for extra challenge, lol.

Thank you, you're welcome!   Just giving winnow.wad a quick playthrough on PC in Zandronum 3.0 a lot of lines were acting strangely. You have to jump through some animated doors and you get stuck on a lot of lines and jumping gets you unstuck.  I don't remember it behaving like that in vanilla Strife.   Also Strife isn't a blast everything in the sight game.  The guards will waste you, but they won't attack until you do or you waste a high profile character.   So it's good to run past the flying sentinels and collect some weapons and ammo and armor before taking on guards or killing a warden.

EDIT: Looked at winnow.wad in vanilla Strife mode in Doom Builder and all those problem lines have the jump over railing bit set which I don't think vanilla Strife had.   Looking at my old strfedit.txt I found how to make translucent linedefs in Strife by entering a certain decimal value for linedef flags in DETH and then adjusting the appropriate other flags from there, but none of these are ones it would make sense to have translucent so I have no idea how they got such a bit set used by modern ports.   Perhaps it happened when I used WadAuthor to select and copy the whole Hexen format map and then pasted it in Strife's Doom format.

Edited by Gokuma

I just downloaded Delta Touch a few days ago and I've been organizing WAD files. Everything has been working beautifully. I have a Bluetooth Xbox Controller connected and I've mapped all my buttons the way I want. I ordered a phone clip for my controller and I'm so excited to be playing my favorite game with mods anywhere I go. It's amazing! I hope this keeps getting updated and I'll definitely keep testing and playing things. 😅

On 1/24/2020 at 2:29 AM, FrogMaster said:

I just downloaded Delta Touch a few days ago and I've been organizing WAD files. Everything has been working beautifully. I have a Bluetooth Xbox Controller connected and I've mapped all my buttons the way I want. I ordered a phone clip for my controller and I'm so excited to be playing my favorite game with mods anywhere I go. It's amazing! I hope this keeps getting updated and I'll definitely keep testing and playing things. 😅

I like you did this my controller clip came in today =) Only thing I'm trying to figure out now is mapping of modded games with controller buttons like Melee & Flashlight. 

when I choose one it doesn't seem to have any option for me to bind to controller but I'm new to this amazing app.

vivaldi_vKbcAWfZku.png

vivaldi_PUdChVJxyM.png

I'm trying use Delta Touch without any visible touchscreen UI ingame while still able to move and shoot.

How do I achieve this without using a OTG cable / Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse/ Gamepad?

Invisible mode doesn't work for me.

5 hours ago, CPTanonymou5 said:

I like you did this my controller clip came in today =) Only thing I'm trying to figure out now is mapping of modded games with controller buttons like Melee & Flashlight. 

when I choose one it doesn't seem to have any option for me to bind to controller but I'm new to this amazing app.

vivaldi_vKbcAWfZku.png

vivaldi_PUdChVJxyM.png

Bind your gamepad buttons you want to use to the 'Custom X' actions in the gamepad setup (the one for app, not in game), then do as you are doing now and press them in the game config screen. 

54 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I'm trying use Delta Touch without any visible touchscreen UI ingame while still able to move and shoot.

How do I achieve this without using a OTG cable / Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse/ Gamepad?

Invisible mode doesn't work for me.

Reduce transparency of the touch screen control to zero