Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Delta Touch on Android

Is there any reason why LZDoom performs so badly on my phone? Like the frame rate dips below 20 even in vanilla pwads. GZDoom on the other hand is running surprisingly well which the opposite should be true, something is definitely not right. I'm running it on a snapdragon 662 if that matters.

Edited by Gabe29

Sharing my story of successfully importing my DeltaTouch library from Galaxy S8 -that had its screen crack to the point of being almost unusable :( - into my newly purchased Xiaomi 12.

• Installed Delta from Google Play and set secondary storage as suggested by the app to /OpenTouch/Delta
  • Installed MiXplorer (file manager that I  prefer for the ability of in-place zip editing - useful to browse and tweak pk3-s on the go) and navigated to /Android/data/com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch/files. Then gave MiXplorer permission to access the directory.
  • Transfered contents of /OpenTouch/Delta from old the phone into a temporary directory on the new one. I am using Syncthing for these kinds of transfers syncing to the PC for backup and then syncing to an arbitrary device from my PC
  • On my PC used the hex editor to change user_files/mymod.dat by replacing
/storage/emulated/0/OpenTouch/Delta

with

/[internal]/OpenTouch/Delta/mods/..

note that both lines have the same number of characters

• Copied iwads into /OpenTouch/Delta on the new phone and let the game run so that it downloaded/extracted audio pack and source port assets. Then closed the game.
  • Removed audiopack and user_files in /Android/data/com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch/files and copied in the directories from temporary location (effectively replaced the default ones with those from my old phone). 
  • Transfered the modified mymods.dat from my PC and copied it into /Android/data/com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch/files/user_files
  • Copied mods and maps directories from temporary location into /OpenTouch/Delta
  • Ran the game and it picked up the entries in mod library and source ports were using the same settings I had last configured ony old phone

Hey there, in GZDOOM, does anyone know what are the "key" names for the touch controls? I.E. the gzdoom console name for the A button in an xbox controller is "PAD_A", i'm trying to figure what are the names the engine recognizes for the touch inputs, so i can configure some shitty mod i'm trying to run, it requires me to manually bind the required key, but i've already tried with the defaults shown in the gzdoom controls menu, and none work (trying to "doublebind" an action to the "use" key, gzdoom menu shows use is bind to space, joy4, but when i bind my custom action to these keys it doesn't work)

My mod is being recognized by the game though, as i can fire the action manually with the console, but for some reason it doesn't work when i bind it, what i think is the touch inputs must have a different "id" (the name recognized by the console)

4 hours ago, ChileanDoomer said:

Hey there, in GZDOOM, does anyone know what are the "key" names for the touch controls? I.E. the gzdoom console name for the A button in an xbox controller is "PAD_A", i'm trying to figure what are the names the engine recognizes for the touch inputs, so i can configure some shitty mod i'm trying to run, it requires me to manually bind the required key, but i've already tried with the defaults shown in the gzdoom controls menu, and none work (trying to "doublebind" an action to the "use" key, gzdoom menu shows use is bind to space, joy4, but when i bind my custom action to these keys it doesn't work)

My mod is being recognized by the game though, as i can fire the action manually with the console, but for some reason it doesn't work when i bind it, what i think is the touch inputs must have a different "id" (the name recognized by the console)

For the standard actions the touch input (and gamepad) inputs such as use, jump, attack etc don't use 'keyboard keys', they inject directly to the relevant game action.

You should use the 'custom' touch or gamepad inputs, these map to standard keyboard key inputs which can then be bound in-game, or using the console to any actions you want. Let me know if you need any more info

Very awesome app. I have been meaning to post sooner, using Delta Touch for maybe 6 months now. Its been massively convenient for mostly easy mobile pr+ and choco playing. 

One of the things with all mobile games is the massive glare using a phone outside. I first wound up using gzdoom with r_visibility to 255 to make everything fullbright, looked pretty awful but was visible. Since I was using my playtesting dehacked on pr+ and choco I remembered that a single key lite-amp toggle does the same thing as gzdoom's r_visibility, but more flexible and chocolate compatible.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Cheat 0
Lite-amp Goggles = l

If my gamma and screen brightness are maxed out and game is unplayable, I simply press "l" on keyboard, then reset gamma to lowest visible. I have never needed lite-amp googles with both other settings also maxed out, screen and gameplay is plenty bright by then. 

Hi Emile, got a quick question: how do I find out which GZDoom commit exactly is GZDoomDev built on at any given time? For example, at the time of this post, both the console and the INI report "GZDoom 4.7pre" which doesn't tell me much. XD

On 5/23/2022 at 3:43 AM, Nash said:

Hi Emile, got a quick question: how do I find out which GZDoom commit exactly is GZDoomDev built on at any given time? For example, at the time of this post, both the console and the INI report "GZDoom 4.7pre" which doesn't tell me much. XD

Hi it's using this: https://github.com/emileb/gzdoom/tree/mobile_4.7 (Minus the Strife fix from last week)

It it based on official 4.7.1 GZDoom, that text is wrong as I need to manually update it and often forget!

On 4/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, beloko said:

It is probably because you have Swiftkey installed as your soft-keyboard?

The keyboard you have active on your device will actually intercept the keys from the physical keyboard and modify them. Swiftkey modifies printable keys which means apps will not receive separate UP and DOWN events of the key, this is why they don't work for movement.

Unfortunately the only way to fix it is not use Swiftkey, try enabling GBoard and then see if your keyboard works 

You can have multiple (i have 5 ) keyboard apps installed and acti- deactivate on the go 

Any chance of prBoom+ getting updated to DSDA-Doom (its successor)? There are some new wads that need it.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, beloko said:

OK I got it working, I bought Doom 64 and ran the doom64-install.bat file to generate the files.

Then copy DOOM64.CE.ipk3 and DOOM64.IWAD to the 'Delta' folder

Then copy the other PK3 files to 'Delta/mods/D64/'

Then select the PK3 in the correct order ( I got the order from running on the PC and looking at the console. Should be like this:

image.png.e8f6da063aeb990bc19f8fc9abbee692.png

image.png.1a1e843d60981bd2f678ea991043fc28.png

Then select the IPK3 file to launch, should look something like this:

image.png.fee30dec1fb14055fa7f0f3377cc67b5.png

image.png.4b695f9443e2ac12a586ef9283191635.png

Hi, I follow these steps exactly, but when I open doom64.ce.ipk3 I get an error message:

"Cannot find game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.). Did you install GZDoom properly?"

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? I don't understand what mistake could be occurring.

Thanks

5 hours ago, seldead said:

Hi, I follow these steps exactly, but when I open doom64.ce.ipk3 I get an error message:

"Cannot find game IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, etc.). Did you install GZDoom properly?"

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? I don't understand what mistake could be occurring.

Thanks

Not used doom64ce but pretty sure it's a mod for doom2, try using that as your iwad, unless I'm mistaken and doom64ce is a stand-alone but that seems unlikely.

Yeah just looked again, an iwad always ends with .wad. Launch it from doom2 and add the doom64ce pk in the mods section (you need to move it from your iwads folder to your mods one). Then your add-ons for it.

Edited by Wyrmwood

4 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

Not used doom64ce but pretty sure it's a mod for doom2, try using that as your iwad, unless I'm mistaken and doom64ce is a stand-alone but that seems unlikely.

Yeah just looked again, an iwad always ends with .wad. Launch it from doom2 and add the doom64ce pk in the mods section (you need to move it from your iwads folder to your mods one). Then your add-ons for it.

When I try your method, moving doom64.ce.ipk3 to the mods folder, it doesn't show up in the mod list for doom2 so I cannot select it.

My understanding is that .ipk3 are supposed to be ran like .iwads (as explained here), but doing this leads me to my initial problem.

1 hour ago, seldead said:

When I try your method, moving doom64.ce.ipk3 to the mods folder, it doesn't show up in the mod list for doom2 so I cannot select it.

My understanding is that .ipk3 are supposed to be ran like .iwads (as explained here), but doing this leads me to my initial problem.

Just searched Doom64ce, I was confusing it with the older doom2 conversion. It says it requires a purchased Doom64 iwad which you then have to patch. Did you follow that step?

8 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

Just searched Doom64ce, I was confusing it with the older doom2 conversion. It says it requires a purchased Doom64 iwad which you then have to patch. Did you follow that step?

Yeah I patched the Doom64 iwad with the steam version of the game. I don't believe the issue is with the files themselves as the same Doom64 CE iwads etc. run fine on my PC.  

EDIT: Ok I seem to have fixed the problem. I had a suspicion some scoped storage shenanigans were going on and oddly enough moving the .IWAD and .IPK3 from '\OpenTouch\Delta' to 'Android\data\com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch\files' now makes the mod run perfectly. I don't have this issue with any other IWADs so sort of confused why it matters in this case. 

Edited by seldead

Oh, didn't know you'd got it running already on PC. Only thing I can think of is delta touch doesn't check for .ipk files, to be honest I'd not come across those before.

Hey, cheers for chiming in. I fixed the problem for now, see above.

Going forward it would be nice to have way to store them within scoped storage with the other mods though. 

Edited by seldead

On 10/2/2022 at 7:59 AM, seldead said:

Yeah I patched the Doom64 iwad with the steam version of the game. I don't believe the issue is with the files themselves as the same Doom64 CE iwads etc. run fine on my PC.  

EDIT: Ok I seem to have fixed the problem. I had a suspicion some scoped storage shenanigans were going on and oddly enough moving the .IWAD and .IPK3 from '\OpenTouch\Delta' to 'Android\data\com.opentouchgaming.deltatouch\files' now makes the mod run perfectly. I don't have this issue with any other IWADs so sort of confused why it matters in this case. 

Ah ok thanks, I will look into this. It must be searching for the file only on the current workimg folder (which is the primary location)

Hey, I've been using GZDoom via Delta Touch to play Doom almost exclusively since a few months ago. And I was wondering, even though the OpenGL ES renderer was made to make this feasible on a phone, how truly feasible would it be to port the whole OpenGL renderer to GZDoom and LZDoom as an optional thing for mobile players? I've had this thought after messing with the GLES 3.2 renderer for a while and seeing as it's listed as "OpenGL" instead of "OpenGL ES" under "Set video mode". The other reason why I was wondering about this was after seeing some of the messages on this thread talking about it being almost impossible, but I want to play Doom with some shaders without having to either remove stuff from them, or patch lines of code to make them work. 90% of the shaders I have on my mods folder don't work with GZDoom under GLES 3.2 unless I change something on them. If possible I'm wondering if it could be added in a future update.

5 hours ago, Swagskart said:

Hey, I've been using GZDoom via Delta Touch to play Doom almost exclusively since a few months ago. And I was wondering, even though the OpenGL ES renderer was made to make this feasible on a phone, how truly feasible would it be to port the whole OpenGL renderer to GZDoom and LZDoom as an optional thing for mobile players? I've had this thought after messing with the GLES 3.2 renderer for a while and seeing as it's listed as "OpenGL" instead of "OpenGL ES" under "Set video mode". The other reason why I was wondering about this was after seeing some of the messages on this thread talking about it being almost impossible, but I want to play Doom with some shaders without having to either remove stuff from them, or patch lines of code to make them work. 90% of the shaders I have on my mods folder don't work with GZDoom under GLES 3.2 unless I change something on them. If possible I'm wondering if it could be added in a future update.

The GLES 3.2 mode essentially is OpenGL mode, it has very little change from the original code. The problem is there is only GLES on Android (except Vulkan) and the driver on the device is the thing loading the shader, there is not anything you can do to fix this except fix the shader. You MIGHT be able to make something which automatically tried to fix simple shader issues but I think this would be very unreliable.

Hello, i have a question.

I have wanted to get Doom on my phone for a while i have been looking until i found Delta Touch.

I tried playing Freedoom which from what i understand is similar, but a big problem i have is that it had vertical look and it cannot be deactivated or anything, and for Doom specially on a phone that is a big gameplay issue which makes it almost unplayable.

Does Delta Touch also has this issue, or it can be configured?

20 hours ago, beloko said:

The GLES 3.2 mode essentially is OpenGL mode, it has very little change from the original code. The problem is there is only GLES on Android (except Vulkan) and the driver on the device is the thing loading the shader, there is not anything you can do to fix this except fix the shader. You MIGHT be able to make something which automatically tried to fix simple shader issues but I think this would be very unreliable.

Ah, understandable.

How well would Vulkan support on Delta Touch go, by the way?

About the last part, how do I check what exact issues are there with the shaders, and how could I write a script to automatically patch the issues? I assume Delta Touch's crash log might have all of the issues' outputs but I'm not sure

14 hours ago, D88M said:

Hello, i have a question.

I have wanted to get Doom on my phone for a while i have been looking until i found Delta Touch.

I tried playing Freedoom which from what i understand is similar, but a big problem i have is that it had vertical look and it cannot be deactivated or anything, and for Doom specially on a phone that is a big gameplay issue which makes it almost unplayable.

Does Delta Touch also has this issue, or it can be configured?

Yes, it can be disabled. You can go to Gameplay Options under GZDoom (if that's what you're using) and turn "Enable Freelook" from Default to Off. That should fix it

On 10/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, Swagskart said:

Yes, it can be disabled. You can go to Gameplay Options under GZDoom (if that's what you're using) and turn "Enable Freelook" from Default to Off. That should fix it

Huh, i selected GZDoom 3.8.2 but i dont find it, i am gonna look for it again, thanks for the answer.

Edit: Nevermind, found it, i am still finishing setting up everything, speaking of which, it could be that software renderer provokes performance issues? I think is just my crappy cellphone (samsung galaxy a02) but is just that i prefer 1000 times over that look to OpenGL

One more thing, probably a dumb question since i just saw something like this but i saw i can play Doom 64 in there too, how do i do it?

And the PSX Doom port that was made recently is a wad too? Because i would love to play that too

Edited by D88M

14 hours ago, D88M said:

Huh, i selected GZDoom 3.8.2 but i dont find it, i am gonna look for it again, thanks for the answer.

Edit: Nevermind, found it, i am still finishing setting up everything, speaking of which, it could be that software renderer provokes performance issues? I think is just my crappy cellphone (samsung galaxy a02) but is just that i prefer 1000 times over that look to OpenGL

One more thing, probably a dumb question since i just saw something like this but i saw i can play Doom 64 in there too, how do i do it?

And the PSX Doom port that was made recently is a wad too? Because i would love to play that too

Yeah. The software renderer uses your CPU and phone CPUs in general are really bad (mine is a Samsung Galaxy A02s, barely any more powerful than yours) but you can get a software like look with OpenGL and get better performance that way. IIRC I have a mod that lets you do that but I'll have to double check it

Yeah, you can play Doom 64 using DOOM 64 CE. Only thing you need is the WAD for the steam remaster of it. Then get a Windows computer and run a patcher (there's more info about this on the ModDB page for it)

No, that port is a PK3, not a wad. However you do need the Doom 2 WAD to make it run. The best way to do it is to rename any files that end with .ipk3 to .pk3 (just changing the extension that way) and load Doom 2 with the PSX DOOM CE PK3 as a mod

7 hours ago, Swagskart said:

Yeah. The software renderer uses your CPU and phone CPUs in general are really bad (mine is a Samsung Galaxy A02s, barely any more powerful than yours) but you can get a software like look with OpenGL and get better performance that way. IIRC I have a mod that lets you do that but I'll have to double check it

Yeah, you can play Doom 64 using DOOM 64 CE. Only thing you need is the WAD for the steam remaster of it. Then get a Windows computer and run a patcher (there's more info about this on the ModDB page for it)

No, that port is a PK3, not a wad. However you do need the Doom 2 WAD to make it run. The best way to do it is to rename any files that end with .ipk3 to .pk3 (just changing the extension that way) and load Doom 2 with the PSX DOOM CE PK3 as a mod

Oh, well is not the end of the world, i just dont like the look of OpenGL in pixel games but is not a big deal.

If you do find that mod let me know please

Regarding Doom 64, i dont have access to a computer anymore but i will see if i can do it from my cellphone if a patcher is all it needs.

I will check that and the PSX Doom thing and come back here, thanks for answers, i love how in this forum you can get a answer to literally any question you can have about Doom

15 hours ago, D88M said:

Oh, well is not the end of the world, i just dont like the look of OpenGL in pixel games but is not a big deal.

If you do find that mod let me know please

Regarding Doom 64, i dont have access to a computer anymore but i will see if i can do it from my cellphone if a patcher is all it needs.

I will check that and the PSX Doom thing and come back here, thanks for answers, i love how in this forum you can get a answer to literally any question you can have about Doom

Ah yeah. I found the mod, it's called Vanilla Essence. Can't provide you the files rn but I'm sure it's somewhere like in the ZDoom forums

I also don't have a PC and tried doing the same thing as you but. Apparently using any patcher that isn't the bundled .bat file that comes with the DOOM 64 CE zip or the DOOM CE Lite zip doesn't work so if you have some portable storage device and enough space to put the DOOM64.WAD and the DOOM CE files you could take it to somewhere like an internet cafe or lan house. Or I'm just dumb and did something wrong along the way when trying to patch it without the use of that .bat file lol

So, this is related to a few issues I've had with @beloko's Dhewm3 implementation on Delta Touch. But, I've noticed a few things and I simply cannot let them slip past

First one being that most mods, save for Doom 3 Enhanced Edition, crash upon loading. Perfected Doom 3 crashes upon loading, Hard Corps (which is supposed to be 100% compatible with Dhewm3) crashes upon loading, so basically most of the mods that are out there.

Second being that, when I try to restart my renderer so that it can apply any graphical changes I make, it either crashes to the Android main menu, or the Delta Touch menu. (it's random on whether it'll crash the game or the app entirely lol)

Oh yeah, and applying any mods through the Doom 3 main menu itself also crashes in a similar vain to the above so I was wondering if you could edit something in that Dhewm3 port of yours to simply add better mod support, reduce the crashes and overall just make it better

Oh and, for reference, my phone can run Doom 3 at medium settings with all the advanced settings turned on save for VSync and AA at 30 fps if that means anything. I just haven't experienced those crashes in any other device I have Dhewm3 on and it's either your port being quirky or my phone not liking it

3 minutes ago, Swagskart said:

So, this is related to a few issues I've had with @beloko's Dhewm3 implementation on Delta Touch. But, I've noticed a few things and I simply cannot let them slip past

First one being that most mods, save for Doom 3 Enhanced Edition, crash upon loading. Perfected Doom 3 crashes upon loading, Hard Corps (which is supposed to be 100% compatible with Dhewm3) crashes upon loading, so basically most of the mods that are out there.

Second being that, when I try to restart my renderer so that it can apply any graphical changes I make, it either crashes to the Android main menu, or the Delta Touch menu. (it's random on whether it'll crash the game or the app entirely lol)

Oh yeah, and applying any mods through the Doom 3 main menu itself also crashes in a similar vain to the above so I was wondering if you could edit something in that Dhewm3 port of yours to simply add better mod support, reduce the crashes and overall just make it better

Oh and, for reference, my phone can run Doom 3 at medium settings with all the advanced settings turned on save for VSync and AA at 30 fps if that means anything. I just haven't experienced those crashes in any other device I have Dhewm3 on and it's either your port being quirky or my phone not liking it

Any mods which include a .DLL file will not work unfortunately, they modify the gameplay with a library file which can not be used by Android. Mods need to be built in the app to work, I have not included Hard Corps yet as I need to make a new layout for it to be playable.

What setting are you trying to change in-game? Instead use the app settings where you can change resolution also (that won't work in game)

What phone is it?

7 minutes ago, beloko said:

Any mods which include a .DLL file will not work unfortunately, they modify the gameplay with a library file which can not be used by Android. Mods need to be built in the app to work, I have not included Hard Corps yet as I need to make a new layout for it to be playable.

What setting are you trying to change in-game? Instead use the app settings where you can change resolution also (that won't work in game)

What phone is it?

Ah, I see that.

So basically trying to actually change the preset while ingame (anything that's not low settings as that's what it defaulted to) prompts me to restart the renderer which in turn instantly crashes the game. I've messed with the app settings but I can't do much about the actual ingame settings due to that

it's a Samsung Galaxy A02s

edit: I don't know if Perfected Doom 3 uses a DLL file either but if possible could you make it bulit in the app as well?

Edited by Swagskart : added some stuff I forgot to do before