Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

How well does this run on Intel i3 8100 with UHD 630?

I am wondering how well this runs on an Intel i3 8100 with the integrated UHD 630 graphics? I have been playing around with this new PC of mine with no graphics card (the old one I was gonna use died) and I'm quite surprised by the quality of the UHD 630, as it runs older games brilliantly.

So how is it? I've tried to find demo videos on YouTube but most of them are fuzzy, or have a faster CPU. I don't even know if I can run the full game on just 8Gb of RAM, which I have. Any advice, please?

Thanks, Edward, that was exactly what I needed! I didn't think Doom had a demo, but well, I guess I was wrong! :)

I got it running fairly smoothly at 1280x720 with Medium settings, although I think the AA will be an issue, as it looks fuzzy. I'm also using a stock cooler on the CPU, but I can't hear it running up as the game runs, so I don't know if I'm taxing it at all. I also don't know if 8Gb is enough memory for the later stages; I had a 1Gb graphics card when I ran this years ago, but had to upgrade to 2Gb as the later Hell levels just wouldn't run. The game DID say it needed 2Gb graphics card in the first place, so I'm surprised I was able to run it at all.

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I also don't know if 8Gb is enough memory for the later stages

It is, worry not. I say this as someone who played through the game twice on a system with 8GB RAM.

I've managed to find a compromise between detailed and fast, and playability is OK, if the visuals look out-of-focus at a distance but fine close-up:

I simply restored the Video settings to default and reduced the 1080p resolution to 720p and turned off motion blur (never liked it), then I went into the Advanced settings, restored those to default and set the Resolution Scale to 80% (100% was nice and detailed at 720p but too slow). I didn't change any other Advanced options, but used the Custom ones suggested by the game, and it works quite well. As I said, the distance is fuzzy, but look at things close-up and they come into clear focus - it's like playing the game and not wearing spectacles. But it's the best I can get. I don't have a graphics card yet and can't really afford one for weeks, I can't believe the cheapest decent ones are going for £150+!

I've just implemented Vulkan on the game, I'm surprised the option was there but when I reset to defaults, OpenGL came first. Maybe the game was playing it safe.

I also rediscovered the joys of custom resolutions, as I had been itching to try 960x540, which is basically a quarter of 1080p, and it turns out that with the default graphics settings (all of 'em) and setting this resolution that I just added in the Intel Graphics Control Panel, I get a very good framerate with everything averaging out to Medium! Cool!

My concern, however, is how much memory does a shared CPU/GPU need with this game? My system is 8Gb with no graphics card, but the game itself requires 8Gb and a 2Gb graphics card, but I also just now had my first "out of memory" error, so I'm wondering if any more errors will occur because there simply isn't enough memory to go around?

Is the UHD 630 even compatible with Vulkan? Far as I know, the only Vulkan-compatible GPUs are the high(er)-end ones from ATI and Nvidia.

Yes, apparently. Intel Graphics Control Panel says my Vulkan version is 1.1.89, so it's obviously supported, else it wouldn't be mentioned.

From my own experience, UHD 630 works brilliantly with older games at 1080p at full settings on older games all the way up to 2010, and it works fine with newer games at lower resolutions and settings. The irony is, I didn't even think of the onboard graphics when I went for this APU, but the old graphics card I planned to use was DOA, and I had considered the Ryzen 5 (I will seriously do so for my next build) but I was pleasantly surprised by the i3 8100.

I don't know about the I3 but I could run it smoothly at the highest settings with 1080p, ryzen 3 and an rx 570 graphics card. Pretty sure that the main thing holding you back is the integrated graphics. Adding a gtx 1050 there should do the job