Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

Bowling for Columbine

i thought this would be about bowling... in columbine. then i thought "well maybe they replaced the bowling balls with human heads, and the pins with the extremities"
I also thought a llama would be in here somewhere too, but no luck.

honestly what the hell!?

Ya know... That name rings a bell... Oh wait, i know where I heard that name from. It was on the Today show, and some guy was talking about that movie and what the title meant. The title basically means how right before the two kids went on their killing spree, they went to their first period class which was bowling. I think that's what the guy said. Although it doesn't really seem like it has much to do with Columbine, the movie seems more like an NRA type promotional video rather than a movie.

While on the subject (I think), there is a movie on Showtime called Bang Bang You're Dead. If I can remember correctly, it basically probes the causes of school violence. It airs Oct. 18 at 8pm EST. I dunno about you people, but this subject really interests me. In fact, every school shooting that's known to happen has a somewhat similar pattern. Hell, even I've experienced the same pattern... well, except for the actual killing part, but that's a whole different story.

What's the big deal, it's a documentary on America and guns. Is this something worth getting upset over.

bowling for columbine is a satire on american gun culuture. michael moore does that kind of stuff. he likes to gnaw on the ears of the public, making people laugh and think. I'll go see it. It's kinda funny how this is coming out with a sniper on the loose on the US eastern seaboard.

I wonder what he will do next, go to Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Cherbonyll and ask for their thoughts on nuclear weapons?

What.. the fuck?

bigbadgangsta said:

I wonder what he will do next, go to Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Cherbonyll and ask for their thoughts on nuclear weapons?

I was thinking the same thing.
I think when Bush starts to talk in this film we can expect a lot of nonsense about the protection of freedom, liberty, bla bla blah.

??? I'm not sure I get what the problem is....Micheal Moore is a satirist. This isn't completely serious people, it's sposed to be funny while being thought provoking at the same time. What is so "what the fuck" about this movie...if anything it sounds interesting to me.

Also, knowing Michael Moore, he probably would do something like that if he could. Actually....I think he HAS...can't remember for sure.

As long as he gets the message across that it is poverty combined with social estrangement that creates these violent types it's fine with me. (Though he could probably have done it in a more elegant fashion).

Little Faith said:

As long as he gets the message across that it is poverty combined with social estrangement that creates these violent types it's fine with me. (Though he could probably have done it in a more elegant fashion).

If it's done too 'elegantly' the the point might go over the heads of the target audience - or even bore them.
Doing it in a more hard-hitting way may seem crude, but at least it's more likely to get through people's skulls.

Anyone else see this movie? It's incredible thought out documentary covering the reasons as to why there is a high rate of gun violence in America. I loved how this movie also shuts up the fucking political idiots blaming games, music, movies etc for Columbine. It also shows a direct link between MEDIA coverage and violence, stating that the media is instilling fear into people, raising gun violence in America because of a racial fear as to compared to Canada where the news covers relevant political issues where there at 7,000,000 guns for 11,000,000(?) people and yet their gun murder rate is extremely low. *wow, what a run on sentence!* This movie will give you a new perspective towards gun violence and the media.

I only hope that Al (GORE) and Lieberman will see this movie before they decide to further their political fame by blaming a new game like Doom III for some type of rare media soaked gun attack(s).

I merged the two BfC threads into this one, ICAC. And no, I haven't seen this movie yet. The whole Columbine incident turned me into a criminal archetype for a brief time, and I really don't like revisiting that.

Uhmmm, shouldn't people see the movie before they flip out? Go watch it, it's quite an eye opener.

And Jesus Christ, what kind of bank manager comes up with an idea like giving away guns inside a bank???

Rellik said:

Uhmmm, shouldn't people see the movie before they flip out? Go watch it, it's quite an eye opener.

And Jesus Christ, what kind of bank manager comes up with an idea like giving away guns inside a bank???

The kind that put up signs that say "HEY, WE HAVE NO GUARDS OR CAMERAS AND ALL OUR STAFF ARE LEGALLY BLIND! PLEASE ROB US!"

Moore may be a satirist but he tends to show the truth in a very sad and dramatic way. When I watch such documentaries I'm glad not to be american.

I just saw it and I think it's a great film. Although there's always 2 sides to a story, and this movie pretty much shows just one side, I must say that it is done in a very clever way. Sardistic, humoristic, dramatic and shocking. It's all in there, and it shows a lot of sad reality.

BBG said
I wonder what he will do next, go to Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Cherbonyll
and ask for their thoughts on nuclear weapons?

On his old show TV Nation he had some civil or revolutionary war reenacters reenact various other events such as "the battle of Hiroshima."

He was on the Daily Show a couple times in the last year and you guys should have heard what he had to say. I also saw him on CNN. On there he said something along the lines of being a member of the NRA when he was younger but more recently wanting nothing to with them anymore since they're just right wing group with seriously warped priorities and they happen to be the single most influencial lobbyist group in Washington DC.

The Reverend Julian said:

When I watch such documentaries I'm glad not to be american.

That's a very bold statement. You make it sound like a terrible thing.

this movie is really amazing. and this is what the public thinks, too (it is the first documentary ever to be featured at the cannes movie festival in france). this movie manages not only to show the difficulties and problems america is facing when we talk about guns. it also tries to offer a solution. the comparison with canada surprised even me and I do think I know a lot about the topic.

in the end of the movie moore is interviewing the head of the NRA (national rifle association of america), confronting him with the facts and you kind of SEE that even the most important man (well at least concering pr) in the american wepons lobby is shocked. he didn't throw moore out. to me he made the impression of a very sad child. a man that knows he is doing the wrong thing but still has to. go see this movie and learn a lot about how fear gives lobbies and governments power. this is not only the case in amercia but everywere. just take israel as an example. they bought gas masks for each and everyone in the state. even for dogs and cats.

well I could write on for ages but I'll rather get back to ZETH. I'll add a few more comments if there is any interest here to talk about the topic some more.

It's a good film, and Moore is usually quite good at not crossing the line, but Bowling for Columbine is a little too sylised at times for me.

Still a good satire though, worth seeing.

But didn't the film stir up some controversy due to fact that the development of the movie MIGHT have come from the school shootings AT Columbine?

THAT WOULD NOT BE A VERY GOOD IDEA.

[oops]NO[/oops]

If that was the case, IMHO, that film should NOT be viewable in the Columbine area because it could remind the citizens who are living there about this horrific day that have changed their lives forever.

Oh god, are you one of those retards who think skyscrapers should be forbidden on pictures because it reminds people of September 11?

It is an amazing documentary. First I laught at the stupidity of the people that were shown, but as the movie continued I felt kinda sad because these stupid people really exist. That is why I don't really see it as a satire; it's more like a documentary. Although you could argue it is not a completely objective documentary.
Still I think it's a masterpiece and you should all see it.

Sephiroth said:

i thought this would be about bowling... in columbine. then i thought "well maybe they replaced the bowling balls with human heads, and the pins with the extremities"
I also thought a llama would be in here somewhere too, but no luck.

honestly what the hell!?

??? i wrote that. hmm i dont remember that. strange, maybe i did

Fredrik said:

Oh god, are you one of those retards who think skyscrapers should be forbidden on pictures because it reminds people of September 11?

I can't find the post you quoted that from (silly me?) but anyway. you're just right fred. isn't that exactly one of the things this DOCUMENTARY is about? that people are trying to forget things that are bad instead of working them out? or act befor they think (weapons detectors... lol)?

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0008032/ep07_stupidyankees.mpg