Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theDia

INVIS10.wad - 15 years in the making. :)

You need MOUSELOOK and JUMPING to play this level

================================================================
Title                 : INVICITY  (version1.0 - 1st completely playable version) 
Filename              : invis10.WAD
release Date          : 09.06.2019
Author                : Dia     
Email Addres          : dia@nostalgeeks.de                    
Misc. Author Info     : German old-timer

Requirements          : RETRES.WAD by TeamTNT (included in this zip)
            and the recent version of ZDOOM.

What has changed      : After almost 15 years I finally decided to finish this level. Added some new
            and changed some areas, fiddled around with some wobbly scripts and killed some
            misalignments (not all though - i will do this for version 1.1 - probably in
            another 15 years;) )

================================================================

* Play Information *

Episode and Level #     : Map 01 (DOOM II) 
Single Player           : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : not tested but implemented
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : would be hours of just searching for the other players - not implemented   
Difficulty Settings     : Yes - all
New Sounds              : only those from retres.wad
New Graphics            : allmost everything - thanks to retres.wad
New Monsters            : the famous dark imp from eternal is there. :)
New Music               : not yet
Demos Replaced          : None

* Construction *

Base                    : New level from scratch
Editor(s) used          : ZETH and some finetuning with Doombuilder for Version 0.9.
              Slade for this version.
Time                    : Almost 4 Years for V0.9. :) No, seriously - the mainwork was done in about                       two months, but included many hours of "learning by doing" and some complete                       re-designs of the more complex views.
              The Update for Version 1.0 took about 2 Days (and I changed a lot). The new 
              SLADE-Version and my better knowledge of scripting helped a lot.

* Permissions *

Use it for inspiration, but please don´t just copy areas. Be fair. :)

====================================================================

SOME INFOS:
This is my first released single player level ever - but don´t be scared. I already made some levels
for "Eternal Doom" and some Quake 1 and 2 ones. 

"INVICITY" was started in 2000, when "Doom2000" (released as Daedalus) was slowing down again and
all Quake Projects of Team TNT were aborted. I also lost interest in Levelbuilding and four years later 
(after Daedalus) I discovered the file sleeping on my HD. Off course at this time it only weighted about 200 K and was nothing but the starting platform and the first area. Also it was just grey in grey and without any detailing.

After the release of V0.9 in 2004 I got some reviews from DoomWorld and other sites. Most critizised some faulty scripting. Before I could fix this, ETERNAL DOOM IV went into production and I concentrated on this project (which - as all of you know - never happened). :(

In the last 15 years I forgot Doom. Well, not really - I played from time to time - but real life and other interests took my time.

Since John Romero released SIGIL I thought it is about time to check if I´m still able to build something usefull and so I started a completely new Level and while doing so found Invis0.9 on my HD again.
I think fixing/redoing it was the best way to get back in the saddle and I (re-)learned a lot of stuff I can use in future-projects. 

TIPPS:

Well, all in all it´s just straightforward dooming I was aiming for, but some hints will help you in the more crowded areas.

1. There are some autosave spots included in the map. They aren´t there without a reason. :)
    2. Sometimes it´s better to let the monsters fight it out by themselves
    3. NEVER feel save when backtracking
    4. Use the windows to avoid loosing orientation
    5. Sometimes it´s better not to take an item, because it probably will spawn some trouble. :)
        6. They are 3 secrets right now - but you don´t have to bump your head Wolffenstein-wise for                them.
    7. All weapons are included, but of course you have to find the BFG. ;)

SPECIAL THANKS:

Paul Schmitz -     my mentor, who helped a lot again during the scripting problems 
            I discovered while building.
    Ty Haldemann -     who sadly died in 2015, for the first hints. You were one of the best.
    Rich Nagel   -    for the yet to add score :)
    TEAM ETERNAL -    for the great times then and still the best TC around
    TEAM TNT     -     for giving retres.wad to the crowd - those textures are a great inspiration
    DECINO       -  who will hopefully play this level on his youtube-channel

and finallyy John Romero for loving ETERNAL DOOM, giving us SIGIL and inspiring me to create again.

Screenshot_Doom_20190610_031745.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190610_031808.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190610_031819.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190610_031841.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190610_031901.png

invis10.zip

Edited by theDia : Adeed the zip file

14 hours ago, ketmar said:

5MB? meh. just attach it here.

Ahh, you kids today have it so easy. :) Back then we had to fight with compuserve, because the files we used to build ETERNAL DOOM (Part 1) were more than 500 k and couldn´t be shared with their Mail-service 

So here we go, I included the file above for convienience...

Edited by theDia : Put the file in the main post. :)

4 hours ago, theDia said:

Back then we had to fight with compuserve

you were happy people. back in my youth i was going to city's central store to play Doom. because they had several hours of "free access to PC", and if you were lucky (read: came at early morning to be among the first), you could play doom at the evening.

What you think of as pain is only a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain.

some errors:

linedef 6792 is missing low texture.

some linedefs in sector 691 are missing upper texture (this creates slight visual glitch).

you seem either relying to flat floodfill bug, or hope that freelook is off with some door decorations (see sector 657 -- it is too high, and glitches).

sorry, i don't have time/inspiration to play the map right now (will prolly do it later). i like what i seen in the beginning, though. and sorry for nitpicking -- those texturing bugs are tiny, and don't ruing visuals. ;-)

29 minutes ago, ketmar said:

you were happy people. back in my youth...

Back when we are kids we had to walk 40 miles to school every day...through the snow...without shoes and we lived in a shoebox with 13 people. 3:)

But of course you´re right, I also remember those times, but for me it was waiting in line to play a PONG-console when it was the hot shit. Strangely enough I played every console since then and most of the relevant (except all War-Stuff, I simply can´t stand it) Games, but none stayed by my side like Doom. :)

5 minutes ago, ketmar said:

either relying to flat floodfill bug,

You got me there - I like the light-FX you can create this way. We discovered this when building ETERNAL back then, probably I should use something else in my next work. :)

45 minutes ago, theDia said:

probably I should use something else in my next work.

the map is not vanilla anyway, so boom separate floor/ceiling lighting won't ruin it. ;-) it is freakin' hard to emulate this bug in OpenGL sourceports (advertising and self-promotion: i am the author of k8vavoom).

and yeah, welcome back. and bring us more maps, please! ;-)

Awesome! Eternal is one of my favorite megawads and I recognize some of these textures from retres.wad. Screenshots look great, thanks for finishing and uploading this, looking forward to playing this:)

Thanks for the heartly welcome backs. :)

Sadly I lost m old account, because I changed my internet-provider during the last 15 years and couldn´t log in anymore. Well, sh*t happens. :)
I´m very impressed to see, that Doomworld is still running strong and even found some other oldtimers still roaming the realms.

Very slowly I´m getting back in the saddle, so be prepared for more Dia-Stuff in the future...

entry01.jpg

Ok, i played the map on UV and there are some slight errors here i am going to report for you fix:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190613_131012.png.2945c83c8bd64dd554462b5b3d331a2a.pngWhile i appricieate the idea of using autosaves as a way to help progression, there is an issue when you go exit the area through the door, making you save 2 time instantly, i am pretty sure this wasn't supposed to do that

Screenshot_Doom_20190613_131613.png.e162d21a580ba7b0e7e00baf9e47abde.png

The barrier of the archvile is only visible inside but not outside unlike the other monster tubes seen

Screenshot_Doom_20190613_131728.png.63ea9663bae7bcb1ee6827f368601c57.pngSame issue here with the rails here they lack the other side of it

other things id' like to be pointed out:

the strooges thing could use an indication that you need to kill them in order to do so... some people would just go to the Mancubi and then found out they wasted the shots, other things to point out it's probably not recommended putting the 3rd (of the first 3 streooges) outside of the teleport area if you don't want them to be telefragged

the friendly monsters betrayed me apparently after i spawned them all

also that rocket trap is sorta of annoying after you teleport in front of it.

outside of it i think it's a fun map, with some lack of ammo and the stealth monsters but it checks out

1 hour ago, Redead-ITA said:

Ok, i played the map on UV and there are some slight errors here i am going to report for you fix:

Hide contents

Thanks a lot for your comments.

The double save thing never came into my mind, but that´s an easy fix - I will add a few seconds delay to it. Call me stupid, but I really never used the teleporter when hunting the stooges, but of course you´re right, also I will ad an "in sequence" to the according message and switch 2 and three around, which will fix the telefrag possibility. 

I also will change a big point some other tester pointed out. Because really jumping and mouselook are only needed for grabbing the goodies and the first shootable switch. I used both back then when starting the map, because this was the big new thing, but now I´m probaby losing the more vanilla-players due to it.

The update will come after my next map, because right now I´m planning to use Invis as level 2 in a episode of four or five levels with an ongoing theme. Let´s say it will be Eternal Doom 4.2. :) 

6 hours ago, theDia said:

right now I´m planning to use Invis as level 2 in a episode of four or five levels with an ongoing theme

YAY! (fingers crossed; i wish i could pentagram my fingers, of course, but...)

A little update.

In between Invis (will be level 4 or 5) is ready to go. Mouselook and Jumping aren´t needed anymore, because in the week I spent again here on DW I discovered that most of the recent players prefer a more vanilla play-approach. All bugs - even those @leodoom85 found and exploited in his (unreleased) video-playthrough - are squished and some areas look and feel very different now. So even if you played invis11 before you´re in for some surprises. :)

But the best thing of all I have an composer on board. Electronic- and filmmusic-fan Michael Engels (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1477657/) will compose some action-packed tracks fitting the levels. For invis I used one of his unreleased themes from "Violent Shit" for now and even if it´s only a placeholder - his style works really great during the action.

So if anyone wants to test this (almost final) version - just PM me.

Have fun and a great weekend...

invis11.jpg

@Suitepee FYI - the map was completed in 2004 for ED IV and in this way you were right - it was a time we all experimented with all the new features of ZDoom.

Interesting enough I could surprise you a few times with tricks I build 15 years ago, so I wasn´t totally on the wrong way back then when ZDoom was in it´s infant days.

What I did for version 1.0 (which you played) was just fine-tuning and re-learning the scripting language. What has become of the map in between will probably surprise you when it will be released in it´s final form - just gimme a few weeks. :)

What I found interesting when re-visiting the forums was that most of the younger Doomers prefer a more "vanilla"-approach, so I will adapt to this a bit more (f.e. the jumping/mouselooking is gone now), but I will still use the Eternal ressources, because (as you could see in Invis(city) ), there are still new ways to utilize them. 

At least I didn´t bore you and you weren´t lost in the map or in the puzzles (which was one of the biggest criticism Eternal got even back then).

So be prepared - there is more Dia-stuff coming in the near future. :)