Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Commander Keen — Official E3 Announcement

15 hours ago, Ajora said:

Why did Billy and Billie's parents give them both almost the exact same name? That would undoubtedly make things very confusing for a lot of people. Were they trying to be cute? I'm probably thinking too much into this, but it's more thought than what was put into this game. 

Have you ever tried picking baby names? Maybe they could only settle on bill{y,ie}, so ran with it. 

I can relate let me tell ya

12 hours ago, elend said:

Preferably with controls similar to „Goblin Sword“ the absolutely best platformer for iOS.

thanks for the hint, it looks great!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Wtf is this shit? I’m not a fan of the new art style and the gameplay looks like total shit. Keen deserves a modern instalment that feels (and looks) something more along the lines of Cuphead, not whatever that snoozefest gameplay was supposed to be that they were showcasing.

Flat out embarrassing.

I can't really picture a Commander Keen game as a piss tough run & gun shooter. And personally, I don't really think there need to be any more Commander Keen 2D platformers. The modding scene for the classics is still going strong to this day, and the Goodbye Galaxy engine holds up superbly. I would have preferred a 3D platformer along the lines of A Hat in Time or something. But yeah, whatever the hell it is they went with looks like garbage. 

@Jon Goblin Sword is quality stuff. Also, check out Hook Worlds. Hook Worlds is good shit. 

Jesus Christ, all they had to do to bring back Commander Keen was go the Ducktales game remake route and make a sidescroller game that refined the original games, but no, they had to do THIS. A mobile game? Ugh, how disappointing.

giphy.webp

But for real now, what the hell is this thing. I'm having a hard time taking this seriously.

18 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

What's wrong with it? The game looks cute enough for a mobile game. 

Me too, I think it's cute too. But I don't know how it going to hold up. Besides, I'm neutral to "mobile" games. There's games that I'll pass on that platform like Candy Crush Saga and Best Fiends. Some other games on the platform that attract me more than the rest like PUBG Mobile, and the Infinity Blade series.

Perhaps a true tribute to the classic game and mechanics are in order. I would prefer that but have no nostalgia with the game. To be brutally honest Commander Keen is a commercially dead license by now with only a tiny niche still remembering the game to this day.

This mobile game might help the series become more popular and a truer release to the series might get released as a result.

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

This mobile game might help the series become more popular and a truer release to the series might get released as a result.

If it bombs though, the series may die completely...

SmartSelect_20190610-180209_YouTube.jpg

4 hours ago, Manuel-K said:

Why can't they make anything new? The huge number of reboots is baffling.

Investing your money in publishing something with name recognition is less of a financial risk than investing it in a completely new IP. 

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

Investing your money in publishing something with name recognition is less of a financial risk than investing it in a completely new IP. 

I general that might work (if you as the investor don't care about quality and innovation), but I don't see how that would work in this case. The last release in this franchise was too long ago to and the new game isn't related to the original at all. So the potential customers don't know Commander Keen at all, in which case their is no association to the original at all or they do and they realize that it has nothing to do with the original.

Like the ridiculous X-Com: Enforcer. It only works if you accept that it is a silly game. Neither gameplay nor atmosphere are related to any of the other games of that franchise.

KEEN was the first platformer I really fell in love with. Played it a lot at times when I should be working, without my boss ever realizing what I was doing - at least I was typing something. :) 

This abomination has nothing to do with the Commander I knew and loved. The grafix I could even live with, but the gameplay looks nothing like what I think about when KEEN flows through my mind. The worst with all this is probably that it´s in portrait mode - there´s problably nothing else what destroys the platform genre more. :)

7 hours ago, KVELLER said:

keen.png.890c6ad84924482c9ce32a84186f151b.png

It means that Doom 2 predicted Keen's death nearly 25 years ago.

Rayman,Worms and Bubsy had better come back, Superfrog HD was average, Earthworm Jim 1 HD (shame that it was Windows Phone only), Ghostbusters and 007 Legends(cancelled) made by Activision were lame games, Harry Potter mobile game was lame and sucks, I hope Epic Tencent Games won't do such a thing with Jazz Jackrabbit. I hope Nintendo will reboot Zool for Nintendo Switch. They should also remake Live-A-Live,Chrono Trigger (so it could compete with Final Fantasy, Witcher, Kingdom Hearts),EarthBound(trilogy just like Activision did with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon) (just like Insomniac Games rebooted Ratchet and Clank & their own Marvel's Spider-Man), make Quest 64 sequel for Nintendo Switch or remake instead.

https://boards.3drealms.com/t/commander-keen-2019-mobile-reboot/1383/4

Edited by luke11685

shame it is on mobile and different to the original games. i can never get into games on a mobile phone, ends up being too uncomfortable

5 hours ago, WadArchive said:

shame it is on mobile and different to the original games. i can never get into games on a mobile phone, ends up being too uncomfortable

Scribblenauts worked well on mobile; it's easy to pick up and play a few levels and the text keyboard worked well. And that's really the only game that I can say that about. I guess Angry Birds works, but I liked it better when it was called "Crush the Castle". I tried playing the ios remake of Final Fantasy 6 and the controls were terrible. When the controls are so bad that you have to add an auto-battle option, you probably shouldn't try to port the game to mobile. Same for Wolfenstein 3D, Doom RPG; the controls are terrible on a mobile phone. I guess I'll never be a mobile gamer, and I'm okay with that.

Alright, besides the brutal rape they gave Dopefish and Keen's weird new look, i'm pretty fine with the art-style and having Keen's sister help is pretty neat.

Except for the gameplay, it looks like it sucks donkey dung. Keen is meant to be fast, not this (strategy?) snail-pace clicker.

I would really, really, really, really, REALLY like a 3D platformer like Super Mario 64, that has expanded everything from the original games. New weapons to work with, new movement upgrades (The pogostick is neat, but a jetpack with limited fuel could be really awesome), new enemies + alien races never seen before, and maybe even a new antagonist helping Mortimer! Plus maybe level creation or at least customization of the already existing ones, this game would be a real blast to play through.

Unlikely my PC could run it, but man i would be very excited for it.

Also, i'm pretty afraid to think that there will be almost rule 34 fan arts of these two, if not already. Eww.

Don't worry, if the game flops then at it would likely be limited to 5 r34 uploads at best, so it's not that bad.

EDIT: Hmm, how about we see what the guys at the Keen Forums think about this? Oh, nothing good, definitely not. Bethesda, please listen for once.

Edited by -TDRR-

15 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

I would really, really, really, really, REALLY like a 3D platformer like Super Mario 64

That was the game I was thinking of when I wrote my post too, and since Keen was what Id made after Nintendo turned down their idea of porting Mario to PC, it would be a good throwback to history. It'd be no problem to retcon his sister into the lore as well. And it would be a perfect game for them to bring to the Switch.

An MP could work as well, a mode where you have to collect candy and you could zap opponents and knock them out for a few seconds and they'd lose some of their candy Sonic ring style.

To be honest, after this announcement, I have started thinking about playing the original games. The Commander Keen Pack on steam is at 82% discount (0.90 $) till 17 June.

So are they really worth it for someone who has never played them before. Also what source port would u guys recommend (I know only about Commander Genius).

I have a lot of nostalgia for the games, so I may be biased but I like them a lot.  I would just recommended playing the games in DOSBox, as the current "ports" were made from reverse-engineering (only the Keen Dreams source was released).  Chocolate Keen is very accurate, though, and supports Keen 1-3.

Some notes:
* The gameplay of Keen 4 and later involves frequent save-scumming, as Keen can only take one hit before dying and restarting the level from scratch.  The first 3 Keens do not support mid-level saving, so have fun getting through the levels without getting hit even once.

* There are very few boss fights in the series, so don't expect the games' final levels to always be particularly climactic.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

On 6/14/2019 at 6:42 AM, ReaperAA said:

So are they really worth it for someone who has never played them before.

Yes! They are challenging but very good platformers imo. 

However, I recommend starting with Keen 4, 5 or 6 (unfortunally that pack doesn't have the last one).
I like the first three games... but they are VERY dated - it doesn't even have music. Probably not a good idea if you're looking for a first impression:

commander-keen-1-marooned-on-mars_6.png
First trilogy (Keen 1-3)

image.png.37b3d111428313afff2b04985d5d0d55.png
Second trilogy (Keen 4-6)

Then you have Keen Dreams, that is the weird one (but I like it as well) and finally the unofficial trilogy (Keen 7, 8 and 9) that I highly recommend.

Edited by Noiser