Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duke of Pathoris

Heaven in Doom Eternal

The trailer mentions something about bringing down the wrath of the heavens. Does Doom Guy go to heaven and kill angels? Does he kill Lucifer himself? This is going to be great.

Those bone-white tech palaces, which I'm assuming is Doom's heaven, looks like a Giger painting in space. Nice unique take instead of just shiny cathedrals and pretty angels.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, Potatoguy said:

I hope this game doesn't have Doomslayer punching heavenly angels.

Wouldn't make too much sense to me, since he's basically killing the mortal enemies of angels by the billions. Every Tuesday.

Same opinion still stands. I really hope he's just visiting, or its a "fake" heaven Samuel cooked up.

1 minute ago, Potatoguy said:

Same opinion still stands. I really hope he's just visiting, or its a "fake" heaven Samuel cooked up.

I really want to see him go toe to toe with the heavenly host. People tend to forget that angels are warriors.

Hayden's dialogue insinuated that he was working for the angels, and that he locked up Doomguy so he wouldn't interfere with Armageddon. If it does come to blows with Heaven I have a feeling it will be because Heaven's motives are not as honest as they appear- or it's a faction of angels who themselves have fallen and sided with the demons, and manipulated Hayden.

EDIT: Hold on, looks like it's not Hayden narrating. Wonder if the voice is supposed to be the traitor that destroyed Argent D'Nur. I spotted a scraggly old guy wearing a crown in the trailer, wonder if that's him.

Edited by captain crunchy

I'm pretty excited to see Doom's idea of heaven. Reminder that in the holy bibble angels are never described as the stereotypical cherub-like appearance we know them for, so I think there's ground for some truly frightening designs.

As for their motives, it could be that the humans only "assume" they're good, when they could very well be neutral, and not really care about what happens with humanity so long as they keep the demons in check. Kind of a lovecraftian thing maybe, like we're so out of their league that they pay as little attention to us as we would to ants.

That's just my two cents of speculation

2 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I'm pretty excited to see Doom's idea of heaven. Reminder that in the holy bibble angels are never described as the stereotypical cherub-like appearance we know them for, so I think there's ground for some truly frightening designs.

As for their motives, it could be that the humans only "assume" they're good, when they could very well be neutral, and not really care about what happens with humanity so long as they keep the demons in check. Kind of a lovecraftian thing maybe, like we're so out of their league that they pay as little attention to us as we would to ants.

Like Diablo 2's angels, where Sanctuary was an accident and all but a few angels will just shrug any time demons start messing with it, so long as the demons don't gain a serious tactical advantage.

About 23 seconds into the trailer we see what I think is an "angel." I feel like Doom eternal's interpretation of heaven is going to be cold and unfeeling. Look at the design of this creature, it's very clinical and shiny. Heaven is to bring wrath upon humanity, the slayer's gotta stop them. That's my take, at least.

1 hour ago, captain crunchy said:

Hayden's dialogue insinuated that he was working for the angels, and that he locked up Doomguy so he wouldn't interfere with Armageddon. If it does come to blows with Heaven I have a feeling it will be because Heaven's motives are not as honest as they appear- or it's a faction of angels who themselves have fallen and sided with the demons, and manipulated Hayden.

EDIT: Hold on, looks like it's not Hayden narrating. Wonder if the voice is supposed to be the traitor that destroyed Argent D'Nur. I spotted a scraggly old guy wearing a crown in the trailer, wonder if that's him.

This reaks of Supernatural right now.

What I gathered from the trailer is that Heaven WANTS earth to be destroyed by the demons, and the Slayer killing them all is messing up their plans, thus causing them to possibly take steps to stop him themselves.

With the possible introduction of Heaven in the game it reminded me of a tag line from the old Spawn video game: "When you're caught between Heaven and Hell, make them both suffer!"

1 minute ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

With the possible introduction of Heaven in the game it reminded me of a tag line from the old Spawn video game: "When you're caught between Heaven and Hell, make them both suffer!"

That's the motto!

The guy narrating the trailer is the same guy who narrated the opening dialogue ("They are rage") in the previous game. I assume it's the Seraphim, as described in the previous game's Slayer logs.

The way I see it, is that assuming there is a Heaven in the Doom Universe, and Doom guy knows about it, I would imagine he'd be pretty pissed about them not only doing nothing about Hell on Earth, but also (from what it sounds like in the trailer) trying to STOP him from absolutely stomping on Hell.

22 minutes ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Reminds me of a Halo prophet.

“When you first saw DOOM Eternal, were you blinded by it’s majesty?l

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

About 23 seconds into the trailer we see what I think is an "angel." I feel like Doom eternal's interpretation of heaven is going to be cold and unfeeling. Look at the design of this creature, it's very clinical and shiny. Heaven is to bring wrath upon humanity, the slayer's gotta stop them. That's my take, at least.

Totally Agree. Arget D'Nur is shown off in the trailers, and is seen behind the Cyberdemon. But Heaven is the technopolis we have only seen in concept art imo. Or maybe briefly teased. And it seems like we fight the Doomhunter or whatever in Arget D'Nur as 'bosses' and likely 'cyber angels' as bosses in the heavenly realm. Well, maybe.  I dont see them really expanding the bestiary with angel warrirors- just bosses imo. But we do get to see DOOMSLAYER grab some royal human bag-of-bones so i dunno bout that.

Additionally:

But we do see Hayden all fucked up at the start of the story trailer. Maybe we dont even get to fight him. He just got his ass kicked by some angels.  I mean, the voice we hear is the Seraphim(?) from the start of DOOM 2016- "they all rage, but you will be worse"

As for the ghost king and the ghost dog? My thoughts are these will be story elements, like how the holograms were story elements in DOOM 2016.

4 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

AFAIK the Seraphim are 6-winged angels with eyes all over their wings. There's also angels that are like rings with eyes all over them.

image.png.8c287d342f9d246e2d9cbf48addd7077.pngimage.png.fd685839f0ca65a14511e5216989be16.png

I hope heaven is not evil in DE, because that would be a quite bleak world, one where there is a Christian hell yet no (Christian, good) heaven. And if it isn't actually Christian hell, well that would be disappointing, because part of Doom's uniqueness is that you're LITERALLY fighting demons from hell, not evil aliens or otherworldly creatures.

Meh...

As cool as it is to actually see the Doom universe's version of Heaven (new locations other than Mars, Hell and Earth is always welcome), I'm getting a little tired of the whole "Angels are douchebags" angle that we've been seeing within the last two decades or so.

It kinda undermines the whole notion of you being the "in-between" guy in the middle of the gargantuan universal struggle between "Good vs. Evil", where you'd be the guy who has the balanced mixture of Good and Evil to be able to do the job that Heaven can't do against Hell, i.e. you have enough of the good virtues (bravery, selflessness, perseverance etc.) along with the bad ones (wrath, ruthlessness, brutality).

Aside from it just being plain depressing that there isn't any real "Good force" in the universe to counterbalance Hell.

Hopefully, the story will surprise me yet.

27 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

I hope heaven is not evil in DE, because that would be a quite bleak world, one where there is a Christian hell yet no (Christian, good) heaven. And if it isn't actually Christian hell, well that would be disappointing, because part of Doom's uniqueness is that you're LITERALLY fighting demons from hell, not evil aliens or otherworldly creatures.

I mean Doom 1 + 2 was never "Christian" hell, more like comic book / horror movie hell. The story never got complex enough for the greater context to matter. Since id wants to make a proper Doomiverse they will have to provide that context eventually, which I will assume will not be dependent on a specific religion.

17 minutes ago, captain crunchy said:

I mean Doom 1 + 2 was never "Christian" hell, more like comic book / horror movie hell. The story never got complex enough for the greater context to matter. Since id wants to make a proper Doomiverse they will have to provide that context eventually, which I will assume will not be dependent on a specific religion.

My theory has always been that it's based on all Abrahamic religions: Christianity, Islam, Judaism and even going further back to Mesopotamian religions. Even the story of Adam and Eve is based on the Enuma Elish. 

So in the Doom universe, what you know from Christianity is not necessarily all true and not the whole story.

I like to think that all those religions are more like myths that have evolved and diluted by Humans over time, because that's what Humans usually do with any story given enough time; it doesn't necessarily paint the "true" picture of what Hell and Heaven really is, but is more a collection of ideas from lots of people.

Still, my point from before stands; If there's a purely evil realm that corrupts anything it touches like a cancer (Hell), then it'd be nice if there was an opposite realm that isn't comprised of complete assholes, since Hell already got the whole "asshole angle" rather solidly covered (and aside from Hell, we've got Humanity, and we Humans are, sadly, pretty good at being assholes towards one another as is).

Doesn't have to stay true to the whole Christian/Judaeism Heaven thing. On that note, I do like the idea of Angels being all high-tech as it's a nice juxtaposition to the Hell theme and it looks cleaner and smoother than the UAC base theme.