Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin-CAI

What about the parkour parts?

It seems that we're gonna have parts in which we're gonna have to swing, climb, use the dash, etc.

I understand that it's an extra challenge but, personally, I don't like it. I don't know if it's gonna fit well with the game.

Thoughts?

Just now, tempdecal.wad said:

Just need wall running so we can have Mirror's Edge 3

On the other hand, that would be weird.

I see nothing wrong with all these gameplay changes.

Yeah, the fist time I saw this I needed a few minutes to adapt to the change, but it fits the game without doubt imo. Doom needs to evolve and innovate it if wants to move forward, it can't stay identical gameplay-wise to the originals forever.

20 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

On the other hand, that would be weird.

Yeah, I agree here as well, but can't exactly say why either. It could have something to do with the fact that I perceive the Slayer as a more tanky and generally less agile character who would rather rely on raw force to push forward (on top of seeing this done a few times before).

Give him boosters and it'll work just like the dashing thing, can't be any less logical.

Spoiler

Anyways I like the changes to the move set but seeing floating mario-ish power ups and 1ups is kinda jarring (off-topic ik) its worse than D'16

1 minute ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Give him boosters and it'll work just like the dashing thing, can't be any less logical.

Anyways I like the changes to the move set but seeing floating mario-ish power ups and 1ups is kinda jarring.

1. It's not about logic, it's about what fits the franchise or not. Even if I can't fully explain it, it works because movement is an important part of Doom.

2. That works too, because of the arcadey history of the franchise.

3 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Dashing in air fits, but dashing on walls doesn't? OK.

Why would that make the game better?

9 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I don't know, I was just being salty about the pickups thing.

I share the sentiment, that was one thing I didn't like from the gameplay footage.

Power ups and weapons work just fine, but these "1up" (lives, I think?) do seem a bit out of place and yes, Mario-ish.

Movement has always been very important feature in Doom, so parkour does actually fit pretty well. Doom 3 had pretty bad movement and it just wasn't a very fun game to play. Even Doom 2016 did feel bit too stiff compared to classic Doom games and parkour stuff is a great way to improve player's movement abilities in more modern gameplay context. I only wish that Doomguy would finally learn to also sprint and slide.

18 minutes ago, seed said:

Power ups and weapons work just fine, but these "1up" (lives, I think?) do seem a bit out of place and yes, Mario-ish.

Maybe they should had named them different like the very similar yellow orbs in Devil May Cry games, but calling them 1ups makes it more clear what they do. Also 1ups do work great with more arcadey style of Doom Eternal but I can see why some people do not like it. I do think that Doom Eternal looks alot better than Doom 2016, first one felt too much like basic shooter, Doom Eternal has more personality and more variety in gameplay design.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about the parkour parts. Gamestar wrote in their E3 2019 coverage a lot of press people were annoyed by the jump & run section in the demo level but they also noted this might be because of a missing learning curve, since the demo level is supposed to be later in the game.

I don't remember parkours being part of the original Doom 1+2. For me Quake 3 Arena was id's initial parkour game and it was a lot of fun. Maybe, after Quake Champions is still not successful, id Software puts more effort in Dooms multiplayer and adds the most popular multiplayer aspects. The battlemode trailer totally reminded me of Quake Champions.

Since Doom 1+2+2016 are all about movement parkour is ok for me. It doesn't feel all out of place.

I loved the mobility of Doom 2016. Me and enemies were constantly moving about both vertically and horizontally. The more movement the better, IMHO.

I like double jumping but I'm not too keen about air dashes. Couldn't say why.

What do you lot think about the grappling hook?  I reckon it'll be one of the additions with most impact in Eternal, depending on how they use it.  Being able to close distance so fast enables larger areas without trudging over to enemies.

Which is great, because unfortunately trudging is your top speed in Doom 3 and above.

i think it looks fine, it's not as if platforming is unprecedented in doom (doom 2 had plenty of "precise" ledge runs and falls, especially in the big levels like downtown or chasm, to say nothing of the real jumping puzzles in "unspeakable" doom 3 >_>). mastery of movement is just as much a skill as running around and shooting things you know :p