Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Give Me Ya Pretzels

can there be a version of GZDoom you could play online with mod support?

can there be a version of GZDoom you could play in your browser with mod support? (Wad files, and PK3 files)

that would be pretty cool because it would allow people to play GZdoom for people who don't have a pc, a linux computer, or a mac to play doom!

it would be great to know if something like this already exists or if someone could make it

If someone doesn't have a PC, Linux computer, or Mac, how would they be playing Doom is a browser in the first place? There's already phone ports of GZDoom. What are you using, a Chromebook?

Delta Touch for Android is the best option if you have an Android smartphone.  If your Android is version 8 or above you can even play with mouse and keyboard.  Beloko just released an update bringing zandronum 3.0 as well as the newest version of GZDoom.  I have a Pixel 2 and with the new update it opens up so many possibilities.  Even older phones are still pretty capable.

Good luck and happy Dooming!

Anyways, GZDoom on a browser would be slooooooooooooooooow in a Chromebook, so much you couldn't even beat Doom 1 with -nomonsters even if you really tried.

HOLD UP DELTA-TOUCH HAS ZANDRONUM NOW?!?!?!?!?!

GZDoom could probably have a perfectly competent and speedy web port. i'm not aware of anyone that's made an effort to do it.

As for legalities and practicality: It would be limited. You'd be forced to use Freedoom for a public host, or have a way for users to supply their own IWADs.

1 hour ago, chungy said:

GZDoom could probably have a perfectly competent and speedy web port. i'm not aware of anyone that's made an effort to do it.

As for legalities and practicality: It would be limited. You'd be forced to use Freedoom for a public host, or have a way for users to supply their own IWADs.

Maybe you forgot the guy asking for this has a Chromebook.

If it was a better PC then i have no doubt a fast GZDoom web port could be made, but as it stands, it won't even run on a Chromebook, not even natively.

Maybe if it was ZDoom LE then it could run, and even at speeds over 60fps. (Except on super detailed maps, obviously)

EDIT: Nevermind, Chromebooks have gotten way better since i last saw their specs. So it would be doable. I would still vote for ZDoom LE being ported instead, with it's lower requirements and higher framerates overall, it would be nicer.

EDIT2: Have you considered setting up Linux on it? https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en

It's very easy and allows you to install stuff like Zandronum and maybe even GZDoom.

Edited by -TDRR-

Chromebooks are rarely that incapable, even the low-end ones would do fine, really.

43 minutes ago, chungy said:

Chromebooks are rarely that incapable, even the low-end ones would do fine, really.

I edited my post. Still, i think just setting up Linux on it is a faster and more permanent solution.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:16 AM, Give Me Ya Pretzels said:

Ok, I wasn't expecting these responses but ya I do have a chromebook. 

I have an older Acer R11 Chromebook that has Google Play app capabilities.  If yours has access to Google Play download Delta Touch, it's $2.50 US.  If you can't pay there's always Freedoom which has an app that's free and supports the retail maps, but has limitations.

If your Chromebook doesn't have a touchscreen you will be stuck with keyboard controls, so a controller is a worthwhile investment, I use a moga pro power.

Most older Chromebooks with Android app support are limited by the version of Android on it.  If you have a newer Chromebook with Android 8.0 or above Delta Touch supports the mouse or touchpad for gameplay.

I am primarily a Google OS user for everything so the only time I needed to break out my old laptop was to do the initial install and grab the iwads.

Currently there is basic support for Linux on chromebooks, I think sound was just implemented in stable, and Linux would only have access to your processor and not the built in gpu, which is what makes GZDoom worthwhile as a sourceport.

Since Delta Touch is an Android app there's one more way to get it that I've only experimented with.  If you or your friends and family have an old PC, you could also download Android x86.  It's lightweight enough that it seems snappy even on old machines, has excellent support, and is similar to your Chromebook while possibly having access to a better processor and more ram.

All that being said, Delta Touch not only gives you GZDoom versions 1.9, 3.2, 3.7, and now 4.0.  It also brings Zandronum 3.0, a network multiplayer fork of GZDoom that runs most mods and has a multiplayer server browser.  It has Chocolate Doom, which stays true to the original Doom, with all of it's wonderful nostalgic charm.  It has Doom Retro, which updates chocolate Doom for high res support and other options while keeping it in a simple package.  And finally PRBoom +, the speed runners sourceport with so many features and tweaks all while staying true to the original feel of Doom.  All from an app that can run on any Android device, it's quite impressive.

6 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

I have an older Acer R11 Chromebook that has Google Play app capabilities.  If yours has access to Google Play download Delta Touch, it's $2.50 US.  If you can't pay there's always Freedoom which has an app that's free and supports the retail maps, but has limitations.

There's no need to, if you can't pay for the app (But if you can i recommed you do so as the author works hard on it) you can send him an e-mail asking for a code and he will happily share a gift code with you.

2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

There's no need to, if you can't pay for the app (But if you can i recommed you do so as the author works hard on it) you can send him an e-mail asking for a code and he will happily share a gift code with you.

I agree, @beloko does a lot to keep up with his app and would recommend the same, if possible.

It's amazing how far technology has come, from needing the best in PC hardware to having this at (just the) tip of your fingers, I can only imagine what it'd be like, even 10 years from now.