Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JavaGuy

none

I just thought of something. Throughout the ages, Death Matches have been the subject of debate for many people concerened that it will desensitize children to violence. However, thus far, even models are only very slight representations of real people. If things look as real in-game for Doom 3 as they do on the cover of the mag, then even I'm going to be disturbed by playing DM myself (though I'm still gonna do it 'cause it's damn good fun). What do you think? I mean, watching each pellet of your shotgun tear a chunk out of a guy that looks pretty real. Does it occure to you it might be bothersome?

Unless you tend to have psychotic episodes every time you have a violent nightmare, then there's nothing to worry about. Even then, one really couldn't blame the game.

Not %100 on topic, but imagine how freaky it would be if neural uplinks were invented, and you could fully merge into the game world so it's like your actually there. And let say you play some sort of counterstrike game (real world setting, with real world guns), and you manage to kill one of your friends. It looks, sounds, feels, and smells like you have just killed somebody. Something like this could really desensitize you. I mean to the point were you might whiteness a real shooting, and not react to your friend being shot in real life. You will know that your friend is lying dead on the ground, and that’s bad. But you wont react like most people would. You wouldn't get that rush of adrenalin for fight or flight, or you won't have the same since of urgency, though an advantage would be that you might not be blinded be panic. Or you could pick up some bad habits, like pointing a loaded weapon at somebody, at only be half aware that your doing it.. I don’t know, what do you lot think?

Concisely, you will realize that it a game, but it is likely to chip away at your psyche, like a solder desensitized by war, but not as bad. That’s not to say I would make you want to go on a killing spree, but… well… read my last post.

It depends. If the person is constantly (24 hr VR-like) in this 'videogame' state for a period of time (highly unlikely), it is possible they may be unable to distinguish what is real, and as a consequence either stop playing the game or go mental. They could also become highly desensitised as Red Pants said, and become focused on their own survival and reaping rewards for killing enemies.

Otherwise they'd realise it was only a game.

If ppl are actually bothered by it and stuff, then they obviously take things too seriously, and they need to loosen up and relax and realize, its Just a game.

Ct_red_pants said:

Not %100 on topic, but imagine how freaky it would be if neural uplinks were invented, and you could fully merge into the game world so it's like your actually there. And let say you play some sort of counterstrike game (real world setting, with real world guns), and you manage to kill one of your friends. It looks, sounds, feels, and smells like you have just killed somebody. Something like this could really desensitize you. I mean to the point were you might whiteness a real shooting, and not react to your friend being shot in real life. You will know that your friend is lying dead on the ground, and that’s bad. But you wont react like most people would. You wouldn't get that rush of adrenalin for fight or flight, or you won't have the same since of urgency, though an advantage would be that you might not be blinded be panic. Or you could pick up some bad habits, like pointing a loaded weapon at somebody, at only be half aware that your doing it.. I don’t know, what do you lot think?

I wouldn’t want to experience something that feels that real. A great part of modern computer games is that it feels real in a sense, but it isn’t THAT real. Unless you’re demented you can tell that it’s a computer game and I prefer it that way. This ultra-realistic experience you’re talking about borders on the tasteless imho, because it feels so real that it’s not even fun anymore (who the fuck want to feel the unpleasant smell of death and blood?), and it will be harder for younger kids to tell fact from fantasy.

As for the topic: No, it wouldn’t bother me at all – it’d be like being in a violent movie, but you’ll still know that it’s not real people you’re shooting at.

It annoys me a bit. I do find realism kind of pointless. But at least it isn't like one of those pieces of shit in which you are a soldier fighting other soldiers or terrorists or the like. They'll be produced later on I bet, once DOOM III is out.

GS-1719 said:
Otherwise they'd realise it was only a game.

you miss the point, they might know when they are and are not playing a game, but if it was super realistic, it will affect the way you perceve the real world. it would have an effect on your body as well as you mind. because as far as your body is conserned, you have killed sombody, even if you know you haven't.

Ct_red_pants said:

you miss the point, they might know when they are and are not playing a game, but if it was super realistic, it will affect the way you perceve the real world. it would have an effect on your body as well as you mind. because as far as your body is conserned, you have killed sombody, even if you know you haven't.

That is basically what I said before the last line which you quoted. I also said that I felt it was only possible if they were exposed for a significant period of time.

myk said:

But at least it isn't like one of those pieces of shit in which you are a soldier fighting other soldiers or terrorists or the like.

BF1942 0wns you.

No matter how realistic and interactive games become, the best gaming experience will still come from six buttons and a joystick/D-pad.

I think that if playing Doom is gonna desensitize you towards violence, so what? If it brings you to the point that you think killing is ok and you go on a rampage, then ur fucked up and probly woulda done this eventually anyway, the game just brought it out a lil earlier. Either way, there's nothing wrong with the game unless there was something wrong with you in the first place. If ur a candyass and candle handle violence, or distinguish the difference between killing a humanoid alien/demon that throws fire at you in a computer rendered world and going outside and blowing your neighbors head off with a 12 guage, then go fuck yourself and don't play the fuckin game.
Somebody needs reality to take a vicious bite out of their ass^ People still killed other people before video games came out, so how has anything changed except the people themselves can't deal with the fact that they did something that bad so they need somethin to blame it on, if only to make themselves feel better.

I'm not really worried about being desensitized myself, nor have I even been seriously bothered by video-game violence. But I always keep in mind what images can do to a guys brain. I don't know about myself, but not everyone who plays games is completely sane.

(Oh, and this thread wan't so much about people getting desensitized to violence as much as it was about having too good an imagination coupled with realistic looking grim.)

The chances a game like doom will desensitize a person is almost 0, and even if it does the person who is desensitized was probably fucked up in the first place...games add realism but not to the extent that it could dictate own's thoughts and actions, however, someone mentioned a form of gaming where u can actually experience the action, that WILL no doubt effect a person...