Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedSpartan

Doom Eternal is the Biblical Apocalypse

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

Even not counting those facts, Doom's portrayal of hell isn't biblical because demons aren't physical in the Bible.

They may not be physical on Earth But they may be physical on Hell.

12 hours ago, igg said:

Even in Doom 1 + 2 the portrayal of hell is not very biblical. In the Bible Hell doesn't exist before the apocalypse and God is the ruler of Hell, not Satan or any other demonic king.

You are very correct on that as mentioned before maybe Heaven is the one who created argent energy do to the collectors edition of the gift of argent energy.But then again we dont know who is ruling over hell in doom.I do agree hell is like a prison for Satan thats why there is so much Chaos in there

Hell in Doom does not seem to have a ruler. The closest is probably Baphomet / John Romero, or the Icon of Sin. The impression I always had from Doom 2 was the Icon of Sin was too powerful to physically exist in hell or on Earth, so a body was being built for it by the demons from the flesh and blood of humanity.

Based on level design in Doom 1 + 2 and what you learn in Doom (2016), it seems the demons first invade a realm via teleportation or being summoned. From there, they subvert and assimilate their environment, continually building additional gates or gorenests until enough demons have crossed over that they can build the Icon of Sin and defend it. Finally, once the Icon of Sin has been completed, it pulls the entire realm into hell. The demons themselves do not seem big on masonry or construction jobs, so most of what is seen in hell is just a bunch of different shattered and conquered realms that collectively form hell.

The different ages mentioned in the Slayer Testament codex entries seem to be references to conquered realms and powerful demonic entities that arose from or played a part in hell's assimilation of them.

Doom's hell does not work well in a Biblical sense because hell is not a physical place in the Bible. IIRC, Judaism seems to regard it as our planet now, where we are judged by God based on our choices in life, following Adam and Eve's exile from the Garden of Eden. Christianity has several interpretations but it largely comes from the Book of Daniel, which speaks of the ten horns (or kings) and the little horn (Anti-Christ) turning humanity away from God, thereby causing the creation of hell (which is still really just the Earth). This eventually leads to Cataclysm, where Earth/hell is utterly destroyed by God and final judgment is passed.

Doom's version of hell is obviously based on the popular view of hell, which takes inspiration from Dante's Inferno and more closely resembles Hades or the underworld from Greek mythology.

22 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

Hell in Doom does not seem to have a ruler. The closest is probably Baphomet / John Romero, or the Icon of Sin. The impression I always had from Doom 2 was the Icon of Sin was too powerful to physically exist in hell or on Earth, so a body was being built for it by the demons from the flesh and blood of humanity.

I think Doom's hell is ruled by Lucifer or some angel from heaven.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, Vesperas_ said:

or the Icon of Sin.

The Icon of Sin can t be The Ruler since He is the Son of The Betrayer and before the Betrayer  There was a ruler

On 6/16/2019 at 3:03 PM, Vesperas_ said:

Doom's hell does not work well in a Biblical sense

Im not saying Its 100% like the bible. Obliviously Hell is a version of the after life were your soul goes.But you can see that there is inspiration from the book of Apocalypse and The Book of Revelation.We don't know who opened the portal in Earth but if its either Samuel Hayden or Heaven it would make sense and we Do know That Hayden isn't the last wielder of The Crucible Hell(pun intended) we don't even know where The Crucible is

4 minutes ago, DoomedSpartan said:

we don't even know where The Crucible is

Guys OMMMMGGG I just Relized something if Samuel Hayden is not dead and if he doesnt have the crucible.WHO THE HELL(pun intended)HAS IT???

He cant go corrupt without him wielding the Crucible.Maybe someone took it from him probably, thats probably why he is all chopped up

20 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

I think Doom's hell is ruled by Lucifer or some angel from heaven.

Nah. There has never been a single reference to angels anywhere in Doom, much less a reference to a fallen angel such as Lucifer. The Icon of Sin / Baphomet, on the other hand, is featured heavily just about everywhere, from Doom 1 through Doom (2016). The Icon of Sin is plainly heard commanding the demons in Doom (2016) in the sound of Dr. Claw's voice.

As I've said previously, the "angels" seen in the reveal are probably not angels as many people seem to be imagining them. Their likeness already existed in Quake 3 and considering how many elements from Quake 1 are seen in Doom (2016), it's possible they're merging the Quake and Doom universes. In Quake 3, the "angels" are a cruel and sadistic race of interdimensional entities referred to as the "Masters" or "Arena Masters," and could be the same entities as the wraiths in Doom (2016). If you compare images of the Vadrigar, the wraiths in Doom (2016) and the "angels" in Doom Eternal, it all matches quite well.

mk7NQ31.jpg

If not, I suspect it is all Samuel Hayden (as in, he is the angel). He has already achieved transference once, so it's possible he could continue to do so perpetually into whatever body he chooses. He may see himself as the savior of humanity, deifying himself as a god-like being as the provider of argent energy, and has gone full-blown insane. Basically, he's become Olivia Pierce 2.0. This is equally (if not more) likely as the Quake merge, since it's already alluded to in Doom (2016) in the codex entries surrounding Hayden and the lore tree.

Point is, I have a hard time imagining id Software pushing actual angels or Biblical prophecy into the Doom universe. It would divide way too many people and radically change the established Doom lore. Personally, I'd rather Doom Eternal be a Doom game, not the FPS Super Mario Bros. + Diablo 3 game it appears to be at first glance.

Edited by Vesperas_

52 minutes ago, Vesperas_ said:

(...) and considering how many elements from Quake 1 are seen in Doom (2016)

For example? I can't remember so many

1 hour ago, Martin-CAI said:

For example? I can't remember so many

Sure.

• Runes
  • Quad Damage & Haste Powerups
  • The Unwilling (shared likeness to Quake 1 Zombies)
  • Night Sentinels (shared likeness to Quake 1 Knights, right down to the swords seen in their statues in Doom 2016)
  • Death Knights (featured in both Quake 1 and upcoming Doom Eternal; self-explanatory)
  • Wraiths (shared or similar features to Quake 1 enemies, like the Scrag, Fiend and Vore)

The level design in some areas of Doom 2016 also seems inspired by Quake 1. The Crucible level and various powerups use sounds pulled directly from Quake 1. Overall, while most of Doom 2016 is undeniably inspired by Doom, some parts just seem out of place and would work better in Quake 1. This is even more apparent in Doom Eternal. The Marauder looks like something that would have been at home in Quake 1 and seems very odd or out of place in Doom.

If you look closely at the image of the Vadrigar I posted above, runes can be seen engraved in his sword and the arena features statues of various champions in the same manner as the statues seen in Argent D'Nur. If you're still not convinced, just search some images of Quake Champions. The Arena Masters are depicted in various maps and look almost identical to the wraiths. You'll also see a lot of the same "heaven" architecture in Quake Champions as seen in Doom Eternal.

Edited by Vesperas_

6 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

Sure.

• Runes
  • Quad Damage & Haste Powerups
  • The Unwilling (shared likeness to Quake 1 Zombies)
  • Night Sentinels (shared likeness to Quake 1 Knights, right down to the swords seen in their statues in Doom 2016)
  • Death Knights (featured in both Quake 1 and upcoming Doom Eternal; self-explanatory)
  • Wraiths (shared or similar features to Quake 1 enemies, like the Scrag, Fiend and Vore)

The level design in some areas of Doom 2016 also seems inspired by Quake 1. The Crucible level and various powerups use sounds pulled directly from Quake 1. Overall, while most of Doom 2016 is undeniably inspired by Doom, some parts just seem out of place and would work better in Quake 1. This is even more apparent in Doom Eternal. The Marauder looks like something that would have been at home in Quake 1 and seems very odd or out of place in Doom.

If you look closely at the image of the Vadrigar I posted above, runes can be seen engraved in his sword and the arena features statues of various champions in the same manner as the statues seen in Argent D'Nur. If you're still not convinced, just search some images of Quake Champions. The Arena Masters are depicted in various maps and look almost identical to the wraiths. You'll also see a lot of the same "heaven" architecture in Quake Champions as seen in Doom Eternal.

Thanks for pointing those things out!

I'd really like to see more Q1 stuff in Eternal. I even remember that those "tentacles" that are everywhere in almost every gameplay reminded me to Shub Niggurath. 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, mjf6866 said:

confirmed:  Doomslayer is Jesus :)

Actually, he would be the antichrist, ironically.

12 hours ago, Doom64guy6 said:

Actually, he would be the antichrist, ironically.

Actually no.Olivia Pierce or The UAC can be The Antichrist. Cuzz  DoomSlayer if he had the chance he would kill Satan.The Antichrist worships Satan so No

@DoomedSpartan you are not alone regarding your theory. I also think there will be biblical references in Doom Eternal. I always knew we would meet a God due to some art concept of Doom 2016's MP levels.

We will see. 

I also have thought the four marks around Doom Slayer's symbol is a kind of Tetragrammaton.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

@DoomedSpartan you are not alone regarding your theory. I also think there will be biblical references in Doom Eternal. I always knew we would meet a God due to some art concept of Doom 2016's MP levels.

We will see. 

I also have thought the four marks around Doom Slayer's symbol is a kind of Tetragrammaton.

Cool but I dont think we will meet God cuzz we still havent seen Satan/lucifer/Baphomet what ever.But we will see the Angels and Probably the Seraphin. As for The Antichrist I have no idea maybe the leader of the UAC cult.Doom Slayer can be some sort of Savior(relates with the tetragrammaton) since in the apocalypse people will get a second chance maybe Doom Slayer can help those people since not everyone in the UAC is evil some people hate demons too.but yeah it doesnt have to be fully in correlation with the biblical apocalypse but there is inspiration too it

If there is a God in the game, it has to be something weird and horrible. Just like the book of Revelation describes God sit on the throne...

I remember seeing Doom 2016's artwork where a texture (similar to those of Doom64,(64x128) texture with weird humanoids or figures inside) that showed an artifact that reminds me of the Ark of the Alliance, and you know that God's voice used to speak through the two Angels over the ark... In this texture I'm speaking of resembles to the Ark and God in the middle. The beast in the middle looks hideous.

Maybe Doom Slayer is going to pay for our sins.

Well I noticed something about the DoomSlayer...

He got taken down by a temple and you Know who else got taken down by a temple Samson(well he took himself and the temple).When Samson is fighting the armies of the Philetines,DoomSlayer Fights the armies of hell.Samson is Israels champion and DoomSlayer is Heavens Champion

Like I said only inspiration.I see Heaven in Doom as just ,absolute not evil or good.If sins are committed punishment will be served.I dont think Heaven wants to kill the Slayer They have the Power to lock him away or take away his blessing.So they can do That.I think Heavens plan is to let the demons take over do to the UAC spread of demon worship and meddling with power beyond they re understanding.After Hell has fully consumed Earth Heaven Will scorch Earth and Seal The Portal of Hell forever.Similar to the Bible

Also guys UAC worships the BFG 9000.So false god and materialistic worship more the reason of Heaven to do what it does.Got this from videos and Fandom.Not even The Slayer or Doom Guy worships the BFG he may get an Orgasm from using it but  he  only sees it as his favorite tool 

Absolutely I agree. 

I have also consider Doomguy as Israeli armies led by God against all sinful flesh and giants (Demons) that infested Canaan's land once.

As you said, we are doing God's work, but in Doom 1 we are sent by Mars (God of war) to battle his sons: Phobos and Deimos and later Hell

Also in Doom 3 we are led by Sargeant Kelly that later becomes Sabaoth. (Jehova Sabaoth)

The ark of the alliance was and artifact built by Aaron (Moses's Brother in the bible) There the scriptures were kept and also the ten commandments.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, DoomedSpartan said:

The Icon of Sin can t be The Ruler since He is the Son of The Betrayer and before the Betrayer  There was a ruler

Where does it state or even imply this in any Doom game?

Sounds like the DoomSlayer is the son of destruction

The one doomed to destroy himself

Or atleast id's version of the antichrist 

Where he believes in fighting hell but doing so fall's into the dark lords plan to have heaven fight the doomslayer as well

Ie

The antichrist because of the fact he is fighting against heaven so he is doomed to destroy himself

The dark lords are hoping the doomslayer can destroy heaven so they can take it over and declare themselves as gods

All thanks to the doomslayer 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:30 PM, Torok said:

Hello, first post here! Anyway, I think you're misreading it, The angelic voice talking isn't saying that it's the heaven's time to fight, on the contrary, it's the time to allow the Hellish armies to lay waste to humanity. He says something like "It's there time to give penance".

Which all things considered does play into your idea of the story of Earth being invaded tie into the Biblical Apocalypse.

I actually don't think Hayden is the one who opened the gates of hell on Earth, on the contrary, he might have done something to ensure this didn't happen.

In Doom 2016 there is a moment in Advanced Research Lab where we see a holographic conversation between Samuel and Olivia; there we have Hayden reprimanding Olivia and telling her that it's been a long time since him and the board have had any news on what she is doing, this implying that he has no "DIRECT" saying in the invasion. 
He just wants the Argent Energy to fuel the ever increasing greedy need of energy that mankind has developed over centuries, all of this is to ensure that the human society is able to keep prospering.

So I'm pretty sure that what happened on Earth is simply another play of what happened on Mars.

Samuel kept extracting Argent Energy and eventually many humans started hearing voices and making contracts with the Dark Lords and brought about the Invasion.
Our boi Hayden fought back with some UAC guys who were still sane and.. lost.

Hugo told us last year at Quakecon that there are willingly or not atleast two factions in the UAC, there's people who are simply there to work their day job and others who have become fanatical followers of hell. 

Samuel is probably being kept alive by these guys. I guess we will meet him and he will tell us what happened before we ignore him and move forward with our Crusade, I don't think he will appear any further in the main campaign.

I'm gonna take this post to reddit because there is so much stuff in that story Trailer that I want to share it and hear even more people's opinion! :D

Thank you for the idea of the biblical apocalypse, it fits so well, I wonder if they read the revelation books before delving further in developing Doom Eternal's lore!

Edited by Doom64guy6

On 6/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, Gerardo194 said:

If there is a God in the game, it has to be something weird and horrible. Just like the book of Revelation describes God sit on the throne...

I remember seeing Doom 2016's artwork where a texture (similar to those of Doom64,(64x128) texture with weird humanoids or figures inside) that showed an artifact that reminds me of the Ark of the Alliance, and you know that God's voice used to speak through the two Angels over the ark... In this texture I'm speaking of resembles to the Ark and God in the middle. The beast in the middle looks hideous.

Maybe Doom Slayer is going to pay for our sins.

Right he is the second coming of jesus but he is the antichrist because god is an asshole

I must have missed the part in the bible that described Jesus as a space marine with extreme PTSD and an immense hatred of cybernetic demons spending the bulk of his existence in hell, killing them using a combination of conventional and science fiction weapons. I apparently also missed the part where Jesus was transported to a blood sport arena and forced to fight for the amusement of an interdimensional being that happens to look like an angel.

Here's a thought. What if Doom Slayer is Surtr from Norse mythology (specifically, as he appears in Ragnarok) ? He's got the flaming sword thing, he's curb-stomping god like beings left right and center, and it is seemingly the end of days... 

It's worth remembering that our society's concept of heaven and hell at odds is rooted in Germanic paganist mythology, with Asgard and the underworld having their own agendas and champions. The Bible makes it quite clear that Satan is at God's beck and call and requires his permission to act, as seen in the temptations of both Job and Jesus. Both concepts could be in play. Perhaps the Makyrs are using the demons as tools to cull humanity and prevent them from developing and becoming a challenge to their power, and Doomguy intervening throws their plans into disarray. Likewise they could have used Doomguy / Argent D'Nur to keep Hell in check until they decided it was no longer convenient or the balance was tipped too much to humanity's favor. If the Quake connection is true, then the Makyrs/Vadrigar are masters over time and space and could have been the reason that Doomguy was transformed into the Slayer and re-emerged in a new universe with a new UAC/Earth/Mars/invasion/etc.