Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedSpartan

Doom Eternal is the Biblical Apocalypse

3 hours ago, captain crunchy said:

It's worth remembering that our society's concept of heaven and hell at odds is rooted in Germanic paganist mythology, with Asgard and the underworld having their own agendas and champions. The Bible makes it quite clear that Satan is at God's beck and call and requires his permission to act, as seen in the temptations of both Job and Jesus. Both concepts could be in play. Perhaps the Makyrs are using the demons as tools to cull humanity and prevent them from developing and becoming a challenge to their power, and Doomguy intervening throws their plans into disarray. Likewise they could have used Doomguy / Argent D'Nur to keep Hell in check until they decided it was no longer convenient or the balance was tipped too much to humanity's favor. If the Quake connection is true, then the Makyrs/Vadrigar are masters over time and space and could have been the reason that Doomguy was transformed into the Slayer and re-emerged in a new universe with a new UAC/Earth/Mars/invasion/etc.

And actually, there is no Hell in the Bible. Seriously. There is a Lake of Fire where the wicked will be destroyed as in they will not suffer forever but hell as we are commonly led to believe does not really exist. It's all a jumbled mess really.

If I were in charge I would say that all abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) are all valid but they are all incomplete and misinterpret the truth. I would even draw from Sumerian/Babylonian lore since the Garden of Eden story has many paralleles with the Enuma Elish. This way they would have lots of cool sources to draw from and modify them as they please. 

Edited by DooM_RO

Thinking about it some more...

I don't think Doom Eternal is going to suggest that Hell is subservient (or at least, willingly subservient) to Heaven. Likewise, I doubt that 'Heaven', such as it is here, will turn out to be deliberately evil so much as "They mean well, but man, they're led by a bag of dicks" (Khan Mayker). 

Also worth noting about the whole "Biblical Hell and Heaven" thing; Hell is not the Biblical Hell. Not exactly in any case... 

Why do I say that? Well, think of all the things we hear about in Doom 2016. Unless I'm mistaken, Satan/ Lucifer himself isn't exactly referenced. There is some stuff about the various Dark Lords who rule Hell in each cycle, but not a lot of mention of -The- Devil himself. 

Conceptually, I think the connection between Biblical Hell and Doom Hell is merely that it's a realm of eternal punishment/ evil, but that's about it. 

That or it's just a hodgepodge of every kind of underworld you've ever heard of.

That there is no Hell in the bible is completely irrelevant as the figure of hell and it's inhabitants being demons and fallen angels have been accepted by pretty much every single Christian religion since forever.

27 minutes ago, TheRedTide said:

That there is no Hell in the bible is completely irrelevant as the figure of hell and it's inhabitants being demons and fallen angels have been accepted by pretty much every single Christian religion since forever.

That's debatable. Christian faith is far more flexible and above all crazier than you can even imagine. Especially when you start digging in Christian history.

And then you grab the theology and history books, things get even weirder.

1 minute ago, FractalBeast said:

That's debatable. Christian faith is far more flexible and above all crazier than you can even imagine. Especially when you start digging in Christian history.

And then you grab the theology and history books, things get even weirder.

That's exactly what I tried to imply.

The title of this game actually appears in one translation of the Bible

Romans 6:19-22 New Living Translation

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the obligation to do right.

And what was the result? You are now ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom.

But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life.

https://biblehub.com/nlt/romans/6.htm

I wonder if they are going to reference eternal life in some way in this game, though it wouldn't be a biblical perspective to have eternal life though any source but Jesus.

Looks awesome.

I heard Beksinski inspired some of Hell's art direction in 2016, so i wouldn't be surprised.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:31 PM, TheRedTide said:

Well... it's absolutely relevant insofar as the thesis of this thread is that Doom Eternal was the biblical apocalypse.  It's right there in the title.

It's certainly true that Doom Eternal (and Doom in general) draws a lot on the modern conceptions of Hell that have arisen from later sources, primarily Dante's and Milton's "Bible fanfiction".  However, that's (a) again not what this thread was trying to argue, and (b) kind of not worth pointing out since it's so trivially obvious.

Honestly, if there's a good argument to be made for Doom Eternal drawing directly on the Book of Revelations or other biblical sources (as opposed to just the broad lines of pop-culture understanding of Christian hell/eschatology, which again, is trivially obvious and has been for 25 years), this thread wouldn't be it.  The OP's posting is way too rambling and disorganized-thinking-esque, and lacking proper references.  It's also reaching a lot based on broad tropes.  HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT JUDGING IN THE TRAILER, AND THE BIBLE MENTIONS JUDGMENT TOO, ISN'T THAT A WILD COINCIDENCE???

Well You can clearly see that there is some inspiration from the Bible.But it’s just that inspirations certain nods and references but it’s not fully connected.For example other Realms Such as Sentinel Prime and Argent D nur.Hell the latest trailer revealed an unholy crusade in hell.And The Doom Hunter is not from Hell he is from another realm.I think it’s called the Tailos realm(Dint Hera the voice clearly)

So yeah it’s clearly more of an expanded universe with biblical references 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, blackgoblinmagic said:

just thought to share these with u all...Wayne Barlowe art...first one really reminds me of textures on Gift of argent

37643932_460681134443490_340734924557176

50536341_154933108832083_676249558927050

The art from that guy is insane.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, whatup876 said:

I heard Beksinski inspired some of Hell's art direction in 2016, so i wouldn't be surprised.

My fav artist. If I didn’t have young kids I’d have his pictures on my walls

I think i've seen that Lucifer's Bane bit on either r/Doom or the Goddamn Doomguy Tumblr blog.

Either way, i don't really trust Midnight to have that much insight in Doom lore, specially when i've seen people on this forum having more interesting prespectives and if that was put in a video, it could have been less than 10 minutes.

Hugo said it's an catastrophe of "biblical proportions." I think it's silly to nitpick over what's literal in the Bible, since Doom is a comic version of hell anyway. You're better off looking at popular culture interpretations of Revelation than Revelation itself. I hope they throw in some fun biblical tidbits, like the Four Horsemen as demons, or a demon based upon the Beast.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, Gerardo194 said:

Where is the info from??

It’s some art with descriptions from the Slayers Club.So yeah guys Lucifers Bane.Lucifer The Devils bíblical name 

Something i noticed in recent Doom games is we may have never seen an upside down cross.

In fact, some of the religious/biblical references feel more subtle and less obvious compared to the original games.

It seems like they want to expand Hell in Doom as their own thing (even if that's already been the case since the first game) which may or may not deviate from the idea of what Hell in Doom is. (Most people expect it to be an obvious/traditional Hell that is half that and half "it's own portrayal from the series")

It kind of reminds me of how Wolfenstein has its own version of Nazis and the Wolfenstein W symbol, along with the censored SNES Wolf3D port and the censored secret levels in Doom 2 for the GBA: One just made the characters speak english, remove swastikas and shave Hitler's mustache but the other used the W's and Deathshead paintings, because it was aware of Wolfenstein's own unique bits for its version of Nazis.

It'd be weird if Doom becomes more subtle about whatever idea or version of Hell it references while Wolfenstein is obvious about the things they're based off.

Specially in the first game where, outside of some MP maps in 2016 (maybe), we get to be in Heaven.

crosses.png

Edit: i like when they get creative and add new stuff and all, i just personally find it weird how that symbol looks like a slightly changed cross.

Edited by whatup876