Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

2 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Question: is there, or will there be, a way to override the colored blood for custom monsters (like the hell knight replacement in Valiant)?

Nope, you'll have to disable it then. 

With support for widescreen statusbars becoming more common, I have to wonder: Is allowing this port to display them with the software renderer more complicated than it seems?

1 hour ago, Da Werecat said:

A baffling change, but whatever.

I suspect it's also just a palette swap and not a set of new blood objects?

It has been requested over and over again during the last decade, literally. Some people just seem to love it. It's just a gimmick and it is disabled by default. If you can't stand it just keep it like that. 

Edit: And yes, it's merely a palette swap. 

Edited by fabian

Somehow I am not surprised to see the reaction to such a small change...

It's surprising this thing is still alive sometimes...

3 hours ago, fabian said:

If you can't stand it

Smells like straw.

Is it colormap-based? If so, it could also break in mods with custom palettes. But if the colormaps are replaceable, then it could be neutralized/put to good use in new mods.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Somehow I am not surprised to see the reaction to such a small change...

It's surprising this thing is still alive sometimes...

Whoa, what the fuck? I ask one question and now people are pouring in on fabian.

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Did you make some kind of faustian bargain where you have to copy every bad feature from zeedoom in exchange for worldly riches

You know this isn't a ZDoom feature, right? Actually, I've only ever seen it in Doom Retro.

I hope you guys realize that throwing generous amounts of salt all over PrBoom+ over the tiniest crevice will neither make it better nor less crevice-y. If it bothers you so much that you feel the need to complain about it online instead of just ignoring it, that just demonstrates the utter ungratefulness and lack of appreciation that people have toward the labour and crafts of others, particularly things like software where it's hard to understand said labour by just looking at it. If the tiniest change can upset your stomachs, then maybe you should verify the reason for this pointless sensitivity, rather than the change itself.

No wonder Graf Zahl has derailed from sanity already; especially regarding a port as comprehensive as ZDoom is, inevitably there will be myriads of crevices to discuss (read: rant about with the most repulsive undertone of bitter dissatisfaction), and people kept pushing him off and buggering him for all of eternity. What else did you expect?! Learn to respect the choices of others, and have at some semblance of tolerance for them! Just because you can't understand the reasons for a change, it doesn't mean those reasons are bad; if anything, it just means you shouldn't be worried about them, because it's none of your business anyway. Especially if it's such a tiny change.

I'm impressed that people even thought anything of it at all to begin with. And on top of that it bothers you enough that you stomach Doomworld's current precarious operational stituation just to pester everyone else?! It's like getting mad because your fan's dial goes Off, 3, 2, 1 instead of Off, 1, 2, 3, and it's very windy outside, but you hold the window blinds open, pushing it against the wind for just long enough to defenestrate said fan, and injuring twenty in the process. At this point, the window blinds spitefully knocking back at you for pushing them so violently earlier is probably a compliment.

Still, I never thought I'd say this, but poor Graf.

Edited by Gustavo6046

Yes, precisely. I guess you can't have anything even marginally sweet, nowadays, because there will always be someone entitled to put salt all over it. After all, people exist, and people are people. Screw people.

I had a thought that maybe I was shaping my concerns in some wrong way, but these last few comments provided me with useful perspective, simply because in comparison to them few other things feel like an overreaction. So I guess thank you for that.

8 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

I had a thought that maybe I was shaping my concerns in some wrong way, but these last few comments provided me with useful perspective, simply because in comparison to them few other things feel like an overreaction. So I guess thank you for that.

It wasn't specifically towards you, yours is in fact pretty mild and mostly fine and perhaps understandable; this problem is everywhere and it's been particularly building up in discussions related to Doom source ports. Stupid debacles surge from the slightest things you can possibly think of, including player sprite colour translations (that discussion had gotten way too heated than it ever really had the right to be, if you ask me). It doesn't help that I like using a lot of words and including borderline rambly tangents for good measure, so there is that too.

Someone has to say it out loud. I'm good at saying things out loud. Sometimes too good. Plus, nobody's mad at you, don't scatter your nerves over this.

2 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

It wasn't specifically towards you, yours is in fact pretty mild and mostly fine and perhaps understandable; this problem is everywhere and it's been particularly building up in discussions related to Doom source ports. Stupid debacles surge from the slightest things you can possibly think of, including player sprite colour translations (that discussion had gotten way too heated than it ever really had the right to be, if you ask me). It doesn't help that I like using a lot of words and including borderline rambly tangents for good measure, so there is that too.

Yeah, I don't get why people have so many problems with changes. I understand it's meant to be a conservative port, but that doesn't mean we have to stay in ye-olde days of Boom 2.02. So long as demo compatibility is retained I see no issues with optional features that many like. To me it seems like elitism otherwise.

I think I understand. I know I wasn't always supportive in the past, including some conversations with Graf. It's often easier to outline what bothers you and move on, which may seem cold or dismissive of people's work, even when it doesn't turn into a shouting match.

Pretty much any changes are good as long as they are optional and disabled by default.

While it would be great to have stuff like color swap for blood, it would be better to leave this to optional wads via dehextra, for example, so that modders could also implement different colors for different enemies and for different palettes as well.

8 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Whoa, what the fuck? I ask one question and now people are pouring in on fabian.

Yeah pretty much...

But I see things have cooled down now, after briefly escalating. I guess people understand now how Graf felt for a long time now and what eventually drove him away from all this, like Gustavo said above...

12 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Still, I never thought I'd say this, but poor Graf.

As someone who privately takes issue with GZDoom and the way Graf can behave. Yeah, I never thought I'd say it either: poor Graf.

36 minutes ago, M_W said:

As someone who privately takes issue with GZDoom and the way Graf can behave. Yeah, I never thought I'd say it either: poor Graf.

Those who sow the wind reap the whirlwind.

If it's not too much trouble, may I request a feature? The ability to have UMAPINFO hide mapslots on the automap or otherwise use strings defined in an existing DEHACKED file for a map's automap title. That would help a ton for my not-so-secret project c: