Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

My guess is it only shows the episode select screen when you have at least 2 episodes defined -- looks like you just have the one. Once you add a second, it oughta show up.

7 minutes ago, Xaser said:

My guess is it only shows the episode select screen when you have at least 2 episodes defined -- looks like you just have the one. Once you add a second, it oughta show up.

Ah, this is what was missing. Now it's working perfectly. Again, thanks!

19 hours ago, Never_Again said:

3) Your DLL count is 36 vs. my (and the official v2.6um's) 38. The two missing DLLs are libgmodule-2.0-0.dll and libspeex-1.dll. An oversight or are they no longer used by prboom-plus?

9 hours ago, ceski said:

I tried a few different approaches to detecting .dll dependencies and none of them caught those two files so I guess they're no longer needed or maybe the code that uses them is currently commented out.

Yes, after snooping on the modules prboom-plus has loaded at runtime I'm inclined to think that as well. Any WADs out there with Speex audio lumps? I'd be surprised if there were any. Of course, now that I said it someone will be sure to make one. ;)

57 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

So what you fine gentlemen are saying is that it would totally be possible to add modern gamepad support to PrBoom+? I really love playing FPS with an analog stick and mouse at the same time, it would be one of those things which would really perfect the port in my opinion.

I suspect that in a port like this there would also have to be some considerations for competitive play in regards to "illegal" input. But it's probably not a big deal.

11 hours ago, ceski said:

And here's a win32 build of the latest commit (18e1626). The low-pass sound filter is optional now (thank you).

prboom-plus-20210222-win32.zip

now that is possible to go to the desktop while still having ptboom+ working on the back, i notice that if you open the volume mixer, prboom+ is halfway of the max volume. I have it at 14 then prboom+ is at 7.
When i raise it up to 14, it only last for the map being played, as soon a new midi start sounding it goes halfway again.

Is there a way to fix that?

I kinda have to crank it up the volume a lot for hear it properly and then when i come back to the desktop its really high in there.

24 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

now that is possible to go to the desktop while still having ptboom+ working on the back, i notice that if you open the volume mixer, prboom+ is halfway of the max volume. I have it at 14 then prboom+ is at 7.
When i raise it up to 14, it only last for the map being played, as soon a new midi start sounding it goes halfway again.

Is there a way to fix that?

I kinda have to crank it up the volume a lot for hear it properly and then when i come back to the desktop its really high in there.

Are you using SDL? SDL ties the music slider ingame to the windows volume slider.

2 minutes ago, Daerik said:

Are you using SDL? SDL ties the music slider ingame to the windows volume slider.

yep, SDL, that why i found it strange that its halfway.

Fluidsynth sound way lower

Portmidi is also really low.

This only affect the music, as the in game sound fx have all good volume 

I don't think it's fixed in any resolution. It's just that the pixels in bigger resolutions are smaller, making the empty row less noticeable.

3 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I suspect that in a port like this there would also have to be some considerations for competitive play in regards to "illegal" input. But it's probably not a big deal.

I guess in the worst case it could be blocked during deathmatch or something, even if that's kind of an inelegant solution.

8 hours ago, P41R47 said:

i just tried it and worked for me.

You just need to write the ''episode = clear'' on the map of the first episode.

leave the rest with just the episode = 'M_EPI1', 'Name of the epi', 'position of the epi'

Did you happen to have more than 1 episode?

If you only add 1 episode after doing the clear, then the episode selection menu is skipped, since it's not much of a selection when there's only one option to select (also that's used for Doom 2, it counts as if it were just 1 episode so it skips the episode select screen).

But the thing is that the other entries should be visible, without needing the "Episode = clear", unless the graphics for them are missing.

EDIT: whoops, this was already mentioned, I did not realize there was another page of posts.

8 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I guess in the worst case it could be blocked during deathmatch or something, even if that's kind of an inelegant solution.

I think they meant speedrunning, since nearly nobody plays multiplayer in PrBoom+. However, I still don't see how analogue movement could impact the speedrunning scene, unless some weird joystick-only exploit is discovered.

I'd be very glad if this got added to PrBoom+. I even tried to make it work by myself using code from the Vita port, but didn't have the time to get it to compile.

5 hours ago, Ferk said:

But the thing is that the other entries should be visible, without needing the "Episode = clear", unless the graphics for them are missing.

i recently made a umapinfo patch for the no rest for the living midipack, and at first the episode names, hoe and nrftl, appeared near the bottom of the screen with an automatic font made names, even if i already pointed the graphic lumps i added for the episode selection.

After that, Xaser pointed the episode = clear and it worked just fine by using it only on the first episode.

And yes, without more than one episode it doesn't work.

Vanilla Doom actually had a joystick-only exploit, sorta. Its custom input driver interface had no sanity checking, so if you were to write the driver a certain way, it would allow for ridiculously fast movement. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue nowadays, least of all for an active source port.

But I'm mostly talking about SR50 and how to handle an additional input method. Gamepad strafing would probably have to be capped at 40. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it's possible to have analog strafing and analog turning at the same time in the vanilla executable with keyboard and mouse.

If what Edward said about vanilla's keyboard handling last page is accurate, then circle-strafing with keyboard and mouse in vanilla is already analog strafing and analog turning at the same time.

The core logic doesn't care, but it also doesn't care if you give it uncapped movement in any direction, if what I remember about that driver discussion is accurate. So there have to be standards, and speedrunning already has some arbitrary ones in place.

It's not something I care about though. There's already an easier way to do SR50 that's discouraged in recording. So it's more of an organizational issue.

The libretro Prboom port implements analog movement by emulating keypresses. It uses a synthetic PWM function to determine when and how long the movement keys are pressed on each tic to get the desired speed.

The period is fixed and the amplitude of the wave varies with the analog stick position.

Maybe that could be a way to add it without compromising compatibility.

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Vanilla Doom actually had a joystick-only exploit, sorta. Its custom input driver interface had no sanity checking, so if you were to write the driver a certain way, it would allow for ridiculously fast movement. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue nowadays, least of all for an active source port.

This is pretty interesting.

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

But I'm mostly talking about SR50 and how to handle an additional input method. Gamepad strafing would probably have to be capped at 40. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it's possible to have analog strafing and analog turning at the same time in the vanilla executable with keyboard and mouse.

PrBoom+ allows you to enable always SR50 in the menus, so it'd be just a matter of capping it at 40 for compatibility, I guess.

1 hour ago, Ferk said:

The libretro Prboom port implements analog movement by emulating keypresses. It uses a synthetic PWM function to determine when and how long the movement keys are pressed on each tic to get the desired speed.

The period is fixed and the amplitude of the wave varies with the analog stick position.

Maybe that could be a way to add it without compromising compatibility.

This sounds ideal. Being able to strafe and walk slowly is paramount to playing with a controller.

for whatever it's worth Ling once found drivers that use Doom's external control API that allowed SR50+turning since they didn't scale sideways movement to the -40, 40 range like Doom's own input does. Of course, there's no reason to emulate this in a port, but it is something that actually did happen.

16 hours ago, Daerik said:

i found something interesting.

ON SDL, if you lower the in-game music, it also lower the one on the volume mixer.

I tend to lower a little the in game music volume as it doesn't overlap with the in game monsters sfx.

Interesting thing that the music fader, literally muted the game, even when the SFX are at max.

That's a very, very old issue that was introduced all the way back in Vista, but Microsoft never fixed it. And PrBoom never worked around it either, since I guess there was no demand for it - players usually use PortMidi and Fluidsynth in it, and I would suppose VirtualMIDISynth, if PrBoom picks it up? That, I never tried myself.

In order to use SDL_Mixer for music playback and not have the sfx volume affected by it, there are 2 approaches that I'm aware of:

- there is a hack of some kind which forces Windows to give it a music slider too, avoiding the music and sfx volume getting tied together.

- give PrBoom its own midiproc.exe, just like other ports do.

17 minutes ago, seed said:

That's a very, very old issue that was introduced all the way back in Vista, but Microsoft never fixed it. And PrBoom never worked around it either, since I guess there was no demand for it - players usually use PortMidi and Fluidsynth in it, and I would suppose VirtualMIDISynth, if PrBoom picks it up? That, I never tried myself.

In order to use SDL_Mixer for music playback and not have the sfx volume affected by it, there are 2 approaches that I'm aware of:

- there is a hack of some kind which forces Windows to give it a music slider too, avoiding the music and sfx volume getting tied together.

- give PrBoom its own midiproc.exe, just like other ports do.

well i will try messing with fluidsynth and portmidi and look if they can have an adecuate volumen that doesn't cover the game sfx.

:/

Thanks for the answer, pal!

No problem 😉.

I don't have problems finding my sweet spot tbh, found it a long time ago, but it's a bit fiddly, especially if you aren't set on a specific player, soundfont etc, or just like experimenting with stuff 🦊.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

No problem 😉.

I don't have problems finding my sweet spot tbh, found it a long time ago, but it's a bit fiddly, especially if you aren't set on a specific player, soundfont etc, or just like experimenting with stuff 🦊.

i just don't want to use vitualmidisynth, i just want a port that come with all the features working as they should.

Now i'm whinning. :P

So well, i will look into that after my coffee ;)

And well, they do. The SDL bug is technically a Windows bug, if you run it on XP and older, it works as intended.

TBQH, does anyone still use SDL_Mixer for music playback in PrBoom? Just like the 15 and 16 bit modes, it might just be better to remove it in that case.

Either way, if you want a quick solution to your problems, unless you don't like gm.dls at all, PortMidi should serve you perfectly in PrBoom. Fluidsynth is alright but I'd definitely replace that soundfont with something else.

Which brings me to this point: Could PrBoom get an in-game option for selecting soundfonts, similar to ZDoom? Editing the config every time you change it isn't exactly exciting.

18 hours ago, P41R47 said:

yep, SDL, that why i found it strange that its halfway.

Fluidsynth sound way lower

Portmidi is also really low.

This only affect the music, as the in game sound fx have all good volume 

Dunno about portmidi, but for fluidsynth, try increasing the value of "mus_fluidsynth_gain" in the config.

5 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

The core logic doesn't care, but it also doesn't care if you give it uncapped movement in any direction, if what I remember about that driver discussion is accurate. So there have to be standards, and speedrunning already has some arbitrary ones in place.

Yeah, there are some subtleties to keep in mind, such as "no odd strafe values".

annoying dumbass i may be by now.

Anyway, i found something interesting.

Sigil appear on the list along all other UD episodes if you has it loaded.

Well, i was replaying it and when i reached E5M8, i just one shooted the SMM and the map ended...

I remember playing it on Doom Retro or Zdoom and it didn't worked like that.

And no, i'm not using Sigil_Compat.wad, but yes, it behaviour is much the same of an E3 replacement :/

EDIT: to not doublepost, i found a signal11 crash on at the end of the first map, a few kilometers away after the red door, of Cygnus IV, a pretty old vanilla mapset.

Works without problem on Chocolate.

Edited by P41R47

10 hours ago, PhoxFyre007 said:

How precisely does one set up a Multiplayer coop or deathmatch in PrBoom+?

The short answer is you don't...prboom+ is really not equipped for this and you'll have a bad experience unless you're in the same room with the people you're playing with (and even then it's probably not great).

Latest Win32 dev build, as of commit af274b2 (March 1 2021).

Noteworthy changes since last dev build (Feb 22 2021):

* fixed bogus condition preventing automap lines from being drawn
* fixed saving of mouse button bindings
* fixed interpolated z-coordinate after teleporting
* added a new option "Disable sound cutoffs" to allow removed map objects
  to finish playing their sounds and to make seesounds uninterruptible
* allow deleting savegames from menu
* fixed automap crash when USE_VERTEX_ARRAYS and GL_VBO are undefined

prboom-plus-20210301-w32.zip (FileDropper)

prboom-plus-20210301-w32.zip (TinyUpload)

Includes the 36 required DLLs. See the accompanying TXT file for details.

For a complete list of changes since last official release look here.