Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

1 hour ago, Spectre01 said:

Would it be possible to implement something similar to GZDoom's palette tonemap for OpenGL? That way there is an option to have GL look close enough to software while retaining its performance and other benefits.

PrBoom+ supports custom shaders, so a mod implementing this palette code should be loadable in PrBoom+ already (may need to swap some variable naming around, depending on the specifics).

23 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Another quick question from me: do you know how to increase the res of skyboxes? I’m at 1080p and the skyboxes look like their at 800x600.

The skyboxes should be the highest resolutions available to PrBoom as it is; have you seen any difference in other ports?

22 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

The skyboxes should be the highest resolutions available to PrBoom as it is; have you seen any difference in other ports?

Hi, yep, watching a Decino play through and it looked like his skybox in Eviternity was a lot more zoomed out and detailed. Mine looks very pixelated (I understand how dumb that sounds considering DOOM is made of pixels).

1 minute ago, nobleflame said:

Hi, yep, watching a Decino play through and it looked like his skybox in Eviternity was a lot more zoomed out and detailed. Mine looks very pixelated (I understand how dumb that sounds considering DOOM is made of pixels).

Ok. If you can take some comparative screenshots and post it on the GitHub issue tracker (along with your settings/config file) it can be looked at.

9 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

Ok. If you can take some comparative screenshots and post it on the GitHub issue tracker (along with your settings/config file) it can be looked at.

Will do. I'll get on that a bit later (tomorrow).

One other quick question (sorry about all of the questions). In other versions of PrBoom+ the automap would draw in as you moved about - I can't seem to find the setting for that to happen in UMAPINFO's latest version. Any ideas? Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Will do. I'll get on that a bit later (tomorrow).

One other quick question (sorry about all of the questions). In other versions of PrBoom+ the automap would draw in as you moved about - I can't seem to find the setting for that to happen in UMAPINFO's latest version. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Options > Setup > Automap > Update unexplored parts in automap mode

38 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Is there any practical purpose to the automap not updating as you explore the map?

Not really, I believe it only exists as an option because it's vanilla behavior for it to not update while using it.

Edited by Terraformer9x

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Is there any practical purpose to the automap not updating as you explore the map?

linedef visibility is updated in renderer. with automap, there is no rendering, so no visibility updates too. the practical purpose is prolly speed: there is no reason to render 3d view when it won't be visible.

This is a very specific question, are sound channels / prioritization handled differently when using PC speakers for sounds generally?

Disregard this question, I found out what I needed.

Edited by Terraformer9x : Question not necessary anymore

On 5/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, JadingTsunami said:

Options > Setup > Automap > Update unexplored parts in automap mode

Thanks very much!

I'm currently using a .bat file to launch my PWADS and I always include a -complevel # at the end of the parameter. 

e.g. prboom-plus.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD Eviternity.wad -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -complevel 11

However, this never updates in the settings under the 'default compatibility' option in the options menu. Today, for instance, Eviternity (MBF / complevel 11) wouldn't work as intended until I manually changed the complevel in the options. Any idea why that is? Thanks!

4 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

I'm currently using a .bat file to launch my PWADS and I always include a -complevel # at the end of the parameter. 

e.g. prboom-plus.exe -file D2SPFX19.WAD Eviternity.wad -deh D2DEHFIX.DEH -complevel 11

However, this never updates in the settings under the 'default compatibility' option in the options menu. Today, for instance, Eviternity (MBF / complevel 11) wouldn't work as intended until I manually changed the complevel in the options. Any idea why that is? Thanks!

again not awnsering your question but you can also change the comp level in game by using the tntcomp cheat

44 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Any idea why that is? Thanks!

Because using the command line won't change the default compatibility level.

3 minutes ago, fabian said:

Because using the command line won't change the default compatibility level.

Ahh, so if I set the setting to 'default' in the options it will go with whatever I set in my .bat file?

15 minutes ago, fabian said:

The command line overrides whatever you set in the menu. 

Hmm strange. When I set -complevel 11 for Eviternity it never worked and the final boss was broken...

Do we have a spec with respect to what new things have been implemented for DEHACKED (like extra sounds, blood splat color translations, etc.)? I ask because obviously these features are not present in any editors at the moment and I'm curious how you'd get them to work by manually typing them in the patch.

If you mean the extensions listed on the DEHEXTRA wiki page, these oughta be supported by WHackEd4 by selecting the "Doom Retro" config, or in DECOHACK by using the "extended" output format, though the extended sound range in particular got added pretty late so tool/port support for it might not be 100% just yet -- best check with the appropriate tool authors in case something seems missing.

There's been some work in some ports/tools for some further extensions (the mysterious "MBF21"), but this is a work in progress and is not yet ready for general consumption in any sense. Anything else is likely to be a wild-west scenario at the moment.

WhackEd4 supposedly already has the sounds implemented - I can definitely see relevant code for it on their Github. Only rub is, I haven't been able to compile a successfully-working build. It compiles, but immediately throws errors when run. I should probably post in the relevant thread about it, it's almost certainly an environment config issue on my end.

Anyway, the new sounds start at 500, so just manually do it from there if you must.

I've been wanting to use the overlay decino uses for his videos (kill count etc.) for this port. However, I don't know how to get it to work. It's not in the default alternative huds, so is a certain download required? I probably overlooked some option somewhere, but I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how to get the hud to look like that...

15 minutes ago, Ennello said:

I've been wanting to use the overlay decino uses for his videos (kill count etc.) for this port. However, I don't know how to get it to work. It's not in the default alternative huds, so is a certain download required? I probably overlooked some option somewhere, but I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how to get the hud to look like that...

Decino uses DSDA-Doom, which is a fork of PrBoom+ meant for speedrunning.

(Edit: Oops I should've also mention where the option to enable it is as well.)

Edited by Terraformer9x

8 minutes ago, Ennello said:

Options--Setup--Status bar/Hud--Show time/sts above status bar--yes

2 minutes ago, Terraformer9x said:

It's only present in DSDA-Doom.

... and in recent dev builds of Pr+UM 2.6.x.

4 minutes ago, fabian said:

Okay, thank you for the info! That explains how he got it to work with umapinfo... i'll use dsda-doom for now then

9 minutes ago, fabian said:

I forgot about that

On 5/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, Ennello said:

Okay, thank you for the info! That explains how he got it to work with umapinfo... i'll use dsda-doom for now then

The most recent dev build of umapinfo is what Decino uses - he mentions this in his most recent video. 

I'm using it now too and it's great. I haven't had any bugs and the map info stuff is a great addition. Give it a try.

Please explain UMAPINFO, is it just mapinfo for less Z based ports?