Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

Latest Win32 dev build, as of commit e211d4f (Jan 21 2021) plus an extra.

Noteworthy changes since last dev build (Jan 12 2021):

* switched to the unified executable "prboom-plus" with optional OpenGL rendering
* portmidi: pitch bends are now reset when stopping song
* added support for more mouse buttons
* fixed resolution-independent mouse sensitivity
* added demo restart functionality - record a new demo on map restart
* setup menus remember last active item

prboom-plus-20210121-w32.zip

For the required DLLs get the Jan 12 release. This build includes an updated libfluidsynth-2.dll only.

See the accompanying TXT file for details.

For a complete list of changes since last official release look here.

oh, while we're here: can i ask to complete umapinfo specs? it's missing list of allowed "bossaction" actor names, and "bossaction = clear" description.

also, it is not clear if specifying any "bossaction" should replace hard-coded level special actions, or add to them. current specs are vague, and it is impossible to implement umapinfo without looking into prboom source code.

5 hours ago, Never_Again said:

BONUS: a pre-release version of a fix for the "Garbage lines at the top of weapon
sprites" issue
https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/issues/95
which is most noticeable with the plasma rifle and the chaingun, at resolutions
-other than- 320x200 and 640x400. This fix changes the code, not prboom-plus.wad

Please test this extensively, thanks!

Unfortunately 640x480 still isn't scaled properly. 320x200 looks pretty good tho.

Nevermind, I'm dumb. I meant to use 640x400.

Edit: I will throw out there that a normal Signal 11 exit (running out of space typing in a file path to auto-load) doesn't show up when using a 4:3-scaled resolution, it just crashes.

Edited by maxmanium

I will say again, you are the fucking killing machine, @fabian. The weapon sprite looks slightly different, I do not know how to put it, but this indeed looks better.

old_vs_new.zip

Edited by Diabolución : Add screenshots.

I possibly just found a really old (minor) bug inherited from Boom. It seems like STSTR_KFAADDED isn't read from BEX patches, it just uses the original string. This is also present in Woof, @fabian.

Edit: filed on github.

43 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I possibly just found a really old (minor) bug inherited from Boom. It seems like STSTR_KFAADDED isn't read from BEX patches, it just uses the original string. This is also present in Woof, @fabian.

Edit: filed on github.

Bug is in m_cheat.c line 338; the externalized string is not used. I think this bug has been around for a very long time. :)

so, about umapinfo specs (some questions i got while implementing umapinfo in k8vavoom)

this should be added, because source code does it:

bossaction = clear          ; Remove all map boss actions

and questions:

"Thingtype uses ZDoom's class names (see list below.)" -- there is no any list.

should specifying "bossaction" on map07, for example, override default map07 boss actions? should "clear" remove them, or only umapinfo-specified?

what to do for:
  bossaction = boo, 666, 666
  bossaction = clear
  bossaction = boo, 888, 888

btw. are quotes allowed in <thingtype>? looks like they aren't.

also, are quotes *required* for other cases? should
  intertext = clear
and
  intertext = "clear"
mean two different things?

what to do with unknown key? is it a hard violation of the spec, and the parser should abort, or it is a soft violation, and we can continue parsing?

please, make it possible to implement UMAPINFO without looking at prboom source. we have enough "slightly incompatible" formats, let's specify this one better! ;-)

Edited by ketmar : typos, added note about the source of the questions

1 minute ago, ketmar said:

so, about umapinfo specs.

I saw this request and I have been working on the outline for one. I will try to propose something soon.

2 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

I saw this request and I have been working on the outline for one. I will try to propose something soon.

thank you. i'm not insisting, i just thought that i'd better give you some questions i got while implementing umapinfo in k8vavoom, so you'll have something to work with.

Apologies for the snipe, but I poked through the source last night and made some updates in a local copy of the 'spec' that clears up the bossaction ambiguities a bit -- gimme a bit and I'll PR it.

[EDIT] Just for the sake of quickly answering one of the burning questions: a UMAPINFO-defined bossaction will replace the map's default, rather than add to it.

6 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Just for the sake of quickly answering one of the burning questions: a UMAPINFO-defined bossaction will replace the map's default, rather than add to it.

thank you! that's how i implemented it too, and it seems logical, but it is better to be completely sure here. ;-) and i believe that "clear" clears everything too, including default actions. i.e. if there is any "bossaction" key, default map actions are removed regardless of "bossaction" value.

Yup -- "clear" removes any map-default ones. That's its main use case -- e.g. if you want E2M8 to not end when killing all cybs.

EDIT: PR made. Still far from a 'proper' spec, but it's better at least. :P

Edited by Xaser

Hello, I'm using v 2.5.1.7 and even after turning off vsync I still notice some slight input lag with the mouse, even with uncapped fps. I haven't encountered these problems with other source ports like zdoom or gzdoom. Initially I believed it was because I was using an outdated build, but the problem is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

EDIT: PR made. Still far from a 'proper' spec, but it's better at least. :P

thank you! with this in place, it is already much more clear and easier to implement it right. prolly enough for most sane umapinfos out there, and "insane" ones can be considered UB for now. ;-) not that having UB in specs is good, but meh... it is tolerable for now, i guess. ;-)

On 1/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, Diabolución said:

I will say again, you are the fucking killing machine, @fabian. The weapon sprite looks slightly different, I do not know how to put it, but this indeed looks better.

Thank you!

However, I am a bit confused by your screenshots. Old and new 640x400 should look exactly identical. Can you confirm? 

They do.

Edited by fabian

TBH I'm still wanting a few keys to be added to the spec for things like jumping - I'd like to disable it in ZDoom, but since there's no UMAPINFO key for it, the only way to go about that is writing a ZMAPINFO lump in addition, which... kind of defeats the biggest purpose of UMAPINFO in my mind, only having to write a MAPINFO once and it just working across all supported source ports.

Also curious about the actor names for the DEHEXTRA dummy slots present for all-new actors to overwrite. I think I looked in the code beforehand and saw nothing about them listed in the relevant table, but it's been a while, I could be mistaken.

I do wish there were a convenient way to "clean up" the whole complevel setup to be cleaner, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I do wish there were a convenient way to "clean up" the whole complevel setup to be cleaner, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, a code refactor could do that, but after all this time yeah, not expecting anyone to touch that stuff anymore...

1 minute ago, seed said:

Well, a code refactor could do that, but after all this time yeah, not expecting anyone to touch that stuff anymore...

I just wonder how much is necessary, since we as a community only ever use 2, 3, 4, 9, and 11. I understand older demos but I just wonder how much it's all relevant anymore.

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

I just wonder how much is necessary, since we as a community only ever use 2, 3, 4, 9, and 11. I understand older demos but I just wonder how much it's all relevant anymore.

Considering the port we're talking about, probably all of it.

Just needs a proper cleanup to be less convoluted, I think?

It doesn't matter if there's only three demos ever recorded in one of the more obscure complevels, given PrBoom+'s mission statement they're gonna be kept.

And all that talk about clean ups and refactors can be put aside -- demo compatibility is extremely fiddly, and the side effects of refactors would be very likely to break something hard to fix.

re: complevels, I feel like the biggest quality-of-life change we could make here is to give them names, so you can do like "-complevel boom" instead of the number, if you're like me and can never remember the random-ass digits. :P

(Unless they already exist and for some reason nobody uses them... which is weird in a different way. :P )

On 1/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, fabian said:

Can you confirm?

Sorry for the delay, the forum became numb and slow as hell for a while. And just to top it, I foolishly deleted all cookies when Linguiça had removed the permissions of the /login/ page...

Yes, I can. They are bit-for-bit identical, indeed. At any rate, I have decided to take a more methodical approach, to discard the PEBKAC factor on my end. I am conscientious, but not perfect.

With the old binaries:

prboom-plus -nodeh -shorttics -complevel 4 -file tnt_fix.wad tnt31.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -nomonsters -width 640 -height 400 -fullscreen -config z:\temp.cfg
prboom-plus -nodeh -shorttics -complevel 4 -file tnt_fix.wad tnt31.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -nomonsters -width 640 -height 480 -fullscreen -config z:\temp.cfg

With the new binaries:

prboom-plus -nodeh -shorttics -complevel 4 -file tnt_fix.wad tnt31.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -nomonsters -width 640 -height 400 -fullscreen -config z:\temp.cfg
prboom-plus -nodeh -shorttics -complevel 4 -file tnt_fix.wad tnt31.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -nomonsters -width 640 -height 480 -fullscreen -config z:\temp.cfg

tnt_fix.wad: PWAD containing all sounds and sprites from doom2.wad, plus the full rotations for the Wolfenstein SS foes.

z:\: an SD Card physically write protected, so that PrBoom-Plus starts up with a fresh config file.

Results match the previous ones.

old_vs_new.zip