Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.1um (Aug 16, 2021)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

for something like that you better use batch files or an external launcher.
thats what most people do already.

I'm trying to use this one: 

 

 

In previous versions of the UMAPINFO fork the launcher has had no problems loading in wads like the sprite fixing project and accompanying DEH file. However, it seems that the latest version of UMAPINFO doesn't seem to like launcher above. For instance, the sprite fixing project is never properly implemented when loading the latest UMAPINFO versions with this launcher - I get issues like the sprite glitch when firing the SSG:

 

image.png.c84dada11e4ec651be1215213d33b6b6.png

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

I'm trying to use this one: 

 

 

In previous versions of the UMAPINFO fork the launcher has had no problems loading in wads like the sprite fixing project and accompanying DEH file. However, it seems that the latest version of UMAPINFO doesn't seem to like launcher above. For instance, the sprite fixing project is never properly implemented when loading the latest UMAPINFO versions with this launcher - I get issues like the sprite glitch when firing the SSG:

 

image.png.c84dada11e4ec651be1215213d33b6b6.png

try some other, as i don't think it to be a problem of the source-port.
Try this one called Doom Launcher:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, fabian said:

The latest version 2.6.1um of the PrBoom+ fork, ne official continuation, with UMAPINFO support has been released on August 16, 2021.

Nice!

 

A couple of changes I'd like to see carry over from DSDA-Doom would be "Fine Sensitivity" for mouse turning and numbers next to the option sliders. The former made the mouse precision feel so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, deimosSSG said:

sadly its integrated since im on a new gen laptop with an 11th gen i5, with the iris XE gfx processor, i only have this temperature problem on prboom+ with uncapped frames, capped frames doesnt heat up my processor at all, staying at a stable 45c 

 

Got ya. Yeah, uncapping frames in older games is generally a big nono - GPU will think the sky is the limit unless told otherwise. In that case you can try downloading a third-party app to lock the FPS down. Maybe RTSS will do the trick but I'm not entirely sure. Certainly worth a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

try some other, as i don't think it to be a problem of the source-port.
Try this one called Doom Launcher:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases

 

Thanks - I've given this a try. 

 

It's quite strange, I'm still getting the bug. It seems that the DEH files aren't been applied properly. 

 

I wonder if I'm missing a setting in the config file? Any idea if the settings have been altered regarding DEH files in the config?

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mike Stu said:

 

Got ya. Yeah, uncapping frames in older games is generally a big nono - GPU will think the sky is the limit unless told otherwise. In that case you can try downloading a third-party app to lock the FPS down. Maybe RTSS will do the trick but I'm not entirely sure. Certainly worth a shot.

thank you, ill definitely give it a try, im not looking to drop another 600 bucks on a new laptop, if nothing else works ill just keep the frames capped.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nobleflame said:

 

Thanks - I've given this a try. 

 

It's quite strange, I'm still getting the bug. It seems that the DEH files aren't been applied properly. 

 

I wonder if I'm missing a setting in the config file? Any idea if the settings have been altered regarding DEH files in the config?

i can't say for sure, as i don't use the launcher, but i know that people use it without problem.

Since you are having problem with the launchers, try making batch files.
Thats what i use and it never fails, and if it fails, is because i did something wrong and i can fix it without problem

To create a batch file, create a blank text file, and change the extension from .txt to .bat.
It will change the icon, but if you right click on it and select edit, you can still write on it as if it was a text file.
Introduce the following code:
 

@echo off
start prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file ''name''.wad -complevel doom2
exit

save and now it will work as a shortcut to the wad you want to play with the needed complelevel that you can change to tnt, plutonia, boom or mbf if needed.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone notice that the hud looks off in 320x240 resolution? I try to make my game look almost like vanilla but the scaling of stuff are odd, and putting "status bar and menu appearance" to doom format only makes it look weird.

Share this post


Link to post

The assets are drawn for 320x200 on a 4:3 ratio display, so for non-square pixels. Hence scaling to 320x240 is inherently awkward. Is there a port that gets this more right, to your eyes?

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, P41R47 said:

i can't say for sure, as i don't use the launcher, but i know that people use it without problem.

Since you are having problem with the launchers, try making batch files.
Thats what i use and it never fails, and if it fails, is because i did something wrong and i can fix it without problem

To create a batch file, create a blank text file, and change the extension from .txt to .bat.
It will change the icon, but if you right click on it and select edit, you can still write on it as if it was a text file.
Introduce the following code:
 


@echo off
start prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file ''name''.wad -complevel doom2
exit

save and now it will work as a shortcut to the wad you want to play with the needed complelevel that you can change to tnt, plutonia, boom or mbf if needed.

Thanks for the help! It works. 

 

I've also figured out what was wrong with the launcher I was using. For some reason the DEH files weren't being added. The work around is to use PrBoom's inbuilt DEH loader in the options menu when in game. 

 

Since the DEH for the sprite fix is the same for every WAD this seems to have solved the issue I was having. 


Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nobleflame said:

Since the DEH for the sprite fix is the same for every WAD this seems to have solved the issue I was having.

 

Consider adding it to the autoload/doom-all directory then. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ukiro said:

The assets are drawn for 320x200 on a 4:3 ratio display, so for non-square pixels. Hence scaling to 320x240 is inherently awkward. Is there a port that gets this more right, to your eyes?

 

I'm not the person you're responding to, but Chocolate Doom is pretty much perfect in this regard. Not sure I see any difference myself, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, ukiro said:

The assets are drawn for 320x200 on a 4:3 ratio display, so for non-square pixels. Hence scaling to 320x240 is inherently awkward. Is there a port that gets this more right, to your eyes?

Well I use crispy doom but some WAD's I have are made for BOOM type of support for maps, and of course I can't use some maps for crispy doom

Share this post


Link to post

Quick question - is there a way of capping the framerate at a specific number as opposed to 'unlimited'? Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Quick question - is there a way of capping the framerate at a specific number as opposed to 'unlimited'? Thanks :)

In the latest version of dsda-doom, there's a "subframe limit" you can set, which essentially caps the framerate to a multiple of 35. Other than that, your choices are vsync or external tools (depending on your graphics card there may be a utility to cap framerate).

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Shepardus said:

In the latest version of dsda-doom, there's a "subframe limit" you can set, which essentially caps the framerate to a multiple of 35. Other than that, your choices are vsync or external tools (depending on your graphics card there may be a utility to cap framerate).

Thanks. I’ve set a framerate cap through Nvidia control panel.

 

I’m playing on a 144hz monitor, but I occasionally get very slight microstutters. I can’t quite work out what it is. It could just be because the pixelated textures in DOOM all have aliasing and therefore create a natural distortion when in motion. 

 

Also, v-sync is off (but on globally via Nvidia control panel).

Share this post


Link to post

I found a bug that is kinda weird.

When Freedoom2.wad is loaded as an iwad, no matter if i load another .deh after it, the embeded .deh inside Freedoom2.wad is always shown on the automap or the text screens.

Share this post


Link to post

What exactly do the following settings?

Sound & Misc:
Enable v1.1 pitch effects
PC speaker emulation
Disable sounds cutoffs

OpenGL Options:
Allow fog

Share this post


Link to post

v1.1 pitch effects randomizes the pitches of various sounds, as v1.1 of Doom did - technically as all versions of Doom try to do, but they put the parameter in the wrong field after a certain version so it stopped working. Since so many versions of Doom have it broken, re-enabling it might sound too weird to people to keep enabled, hence why it's a toggle and not just on period.

 

PC speaker emulation forgoes the Sound Blaster PCM audio in favor of the one-channel beeps and bloops of ye olde PC speaker. For Doom this isn't too bad, even if the iconic growls and shit are better over Sound Blaster than PC beeper (and on a modern computer you'd default to the SB sounds anyway), but Doom II and Final Doom's added bestiary reuse sounds IIRC so that might get a bit confusing. Worth trying out for a laugh, anyway.

 

I have to imagine Disable Sound Cutoffs does what it says on the tin, but I haven't played enough vanilla to know when sounds would, in fact, get cut off. I guess if too many sound channels get used up but a new sound's really gotta play (based on its priority value)?

 

Dunno about Allow Fog. I don't think Boom has a ZDoom-like arbitrary fog feature ("set this sector to fade to #C0FFEE at this level of thickness specifically!"), though it does let sectors have custom colormaps that can be used to emulate it I suppose (bake your #C0FFEE fade in advance, then tag sectors to use it). It could also just be an older OpenGL renderer leftover, as in, "allow a black fog to taper off the brightness as you view into the distance instead of not doing that", maybe from a time where some graphics cards had issues with the concept. If it's the latter, kind of moot in our time of shader-based darkening. At any rate, somebody else is gonna have to answer this one for a concrete response.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, AntonLiniares said:

Disable sounds cutoffs

Shoot a rocket against a wall or blow up a barrel to recognize the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Shadow Hog said:

Dunno about Allow Fog. I don't think Boom has a ZDoom-like arbitrary fog feature ("set this sector to fade to #C0FFEE at this level of thickness specifically!"), though it does let sectors have custom colormaps that can be used to emulate it I suppose (bake your #C0FFEE fade in advance, then tag sectors to use it). It could also just be an older OpenGL renderer leftover, as in, "allow a black fog to taper off the brightness as you view into the distance instead of not doing that", maybe from a time where some graphics cards had issues with the concept. If it's the latter, kind of moot in our time of shader-based darkening. At any rate, somebody else is gonna have to answer this one for a concrete response.

 

Right, this option enables or disables OpenGL fog. Simplifying a bit, this means pixel colors are blended with a fog color based on how far they are from the viewpoint.

 

It's not a feature available to mappers and only affects rendering. It also only works in GZDoom lighting mode, as Fog based mode is, well, based on fog. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I've only just begun using PrBoom+ for the first time starting with "PrBoom-Plus 2.6.1um" and after a bunch of tweaking, I finally got it to mostly play and look the way I want it to.

Unfortunately, I'm having certain problems with some sound effects not working.

It seems to be particularly custom sound effects that don't work. The specific issues I've encountered are:

- Floor height movement sfx not working on Avactor.wad (I think also the crusher sfx are not working?)
- All sounds from a custom sfx wad I'm working on not playing either even though they work in GZDoom.

Will definitely be using PrBoom+ over ZDoom a heck of a lot more if I can get this problem fixed 'cause I no longer want to deal with the latter's performance issues. Any help?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, EezySeven said:

- Floor height movement sfx not working on Avactor.wad (I think also the crusher sfx are not working?)
- All sounds from a custom sfx wad I'm working on not playing either even though they work in GZDoom.

 

Try converting the sounds to Doom format. Open the WAD in SLADE, choose a sound, right click, choose Audio, convert WAV to Doom sound.

Share this post


Link to post

I noticed the same thing with Avactor. The sound seems to work in some places but not others. The easiest example to find where the sound doesn't play, but does in GZDoom, is the lowering floor near the beginning of MAP09. One place where the sound does work is at the doors to the "lights out" room in MAP01; both the wall that lowers in front of you and the walls that rise behind you play the sound effect just fine. I always assumed this was just some weird sound quirk of Boom related to specific linedefs or how the sectors are arranged or something, but never looked into it.

Edited by Shepardus

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

 

Try converting the sounds to Doom format. Open the WAD in SLADE, choose a sound, right click, choose Audio, convert WAV to Doom sound.

Thanks. That might work for my custom wad as they're currently in MP3 format.
However, all the sounds from Avactor are already in Doom format so it might be a scripting issue there.
 

40 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

I noticed the same thing with Avactor. The sound seems to work in some places but not others. The easiest example to find where the sound doesn't play, but does in GZDoom, is the lowering floor near the beginning of MAP09. One place where the sound does work is at the doors to the "lights out" room in MAP01; both the wall that lowers in front of you and the walls that rise behind you play the sound effect just fine. I always assumed this was just some weird sound quirk of Boom related to specific linedefs or how the sectors are arranged or something, but never looked into it.

I found the same sound effects seem to work for the ground rising for the turrets but mostly everywhere else, they don't seem to work.

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

I noticed the same thing with Avactor. The sound seems to work in some places but not others. The easiest example to find where the sound doesn't play, but does in GZDoom, is the lowering floor near the beginning of MAP09. One place where the sound does work is at the doors to the "lights out" room in MAP01; both the wall that lowers in front of you and the walls that rise behind you play the sound effect just fine. I always assumed this was just some weird sound quirk of Boom related to specific linedefs or how the sectors are arranged or something, but never looked into it.

 

On map09, they're a joined sector to one out in the void, so the sound plays halfway between them.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

 

Try converting the sounds to Doom format. Open the WAD in SLADE, choose a sound, right click, choose Audio, convert WAV to Doom sound.

Converted them to Doom format now. Still doesn't work.
I'm guessing it might really be a scripting issue as I have another script in the wad that doesn't work and is supposed to display text on the screen at a certain point.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Daerik said:

 

On map09, they're a joined sector to one out in the void, so the sound plays halfway between them.

Ah, I didn't know the sound worked like that! There are a lot of setups like that in Avactor, so that explains what's going on with them. Thanks for explaining, that's mystified me for a long time.

 

12 minutes ago, EezySeven said:

Converted them to Doom format now. Still doesn't work.
I'm guessing it might really be a scripting issue as I have another script in the wad that doesn't work and is supposed to display text on the screen at a certain point.

PrBoom+ doesn't support scripting like ZDoom does.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, EezySeven said:

- Floor height movement sfx not working on Avactor.wad (I think also the crusher sfx are not working?)

I figure it's a map issue, not a sound issue. The sounds are technically working.

 

When a sector plays a sound (a door, platform, crusher, etc. moving up or down), it needs to have an origin point for where the sound plays from. So in vanilla it's done by having a "degenmobj_t" object placed in the middle of the sector, basically a fake mobj that just has a thinker and its x,y,z coordinates. The x and y coordinates are set by setting them as the center of the sector's bounding box -- find out the sector's northernmost, southernmost, westernmost, and easternmost vertices, and use the middle. The z coordinate isn't set and remains zero. This is done once, at map setup.

 

ZDoom changed that logic to something a little bit more indepth. If the player is inside the moving sector, the sound comes from the player's own position (so if you're on a moving platform, the sound doesn't seem to change as you move along the platform), otherwise the sound comes from the center of the sector's linedef that is the closest to the player. This is evaluated dynamically during play.

 

Anyway a consequence of this is that when you have non-contiguous sectors -- sectors made up of several separate areas -- the vanilla sound origin will be in the geographical center of all these separate areas, which might not even end up being in a playable area, and that can leave the sector effectively silent. Whereas in ZDoom you'll still hear it when you're near a moving part.

 

There's actually a compatibility option in ZDoom to set sector sound origin the old way, because some maps out there used this effect deliberately to create silent movement, cf. Suspended in Dusk. So something you can try is toggle that option on and run through Avactor's maps again. If you don't hear the relevant sounds anymore, then it's because of this, and therefore Not A Bug™.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×