Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

2 hours ago, seed said:

-longtics only works for vanilla/limit-removing complevels, not Boom/MBF.

Are -longtics for Boom/MBF a potential option for the future? I believe I've previously mentioned an example of a fork which already has it for Boom, but it would be nice to have in the "main" updated version going forward.

9 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Are -longtics for Boom/MBF a potential option for the future? I believe I've previously mentioned an example of a fork which already has it for Boom, but it would be nice to have in the "main" updated version going forward.

It would, however, last time this was discussed I think the reason why it was not feasible was because it required separate complevels just for it, but I could be wrong.

Well, it is not that it's not feasible, it's just a misguided idea. Boom demo format has been frozen for 20 years, it makes little sense to subvert this standard by arbitrarily adding hacks on top of it. prb+'s compat code is a convoluted mess as it is. Another reason entryway always rejected such feature requests was that his main goal for prboom-plus was perfect demo compat with "dead" ports. Like him (although in a different way) Graf is a man of strong principles, so the chances of him adopting such hacks are practically zero.

Besides -longtics with the MBF+ format is already possible with -complevel 17, it is its default mode in fact. One just has to keep in mind that the recording will be affected by a host of individual compat settings under three separate menus -- see the list here, slightly out-of-date now, I suppose. And of course, despite the name of the format the demo won't play back properly in anything else but this fork.

Latest Win32 dev build, as of commit bd0f60a (June 12 2020)

Noteworthy changes since the June 6 dev build:

* changed video capture to an ffmpeg-based approach

prbboom-plus-20200612-w32.zip

For a complete list of changes since last official release look here.

To make for a (much) smaller download all required DLLs have been omitted from this release. Get the June 6 dev build linked above if you don't have them yet. If you still get an error complaining about a missing DLL read the instructions at the end of the accompanying TXT file.

By the way, where did the traditional "A secret is revealed!" sound go? Now it sound like an item respawn sound from multiplayer. How to restore the old one?

It was removed when all other non-free - or at least dubious - data lumps were removed.

Good. It was really ZDoom's specific sound, I don't get why PrBoom+ copied it and then people came in to ask me to add it to Eternity as well instead of being silent.

Traditional is to make no sound at all.

@fabian, so the only way to restore it is to replace the responsible sound in Doom2.wad or so? How is that data lump called I should look for?

The lump is called DSSECRET and as @printz stated it's not a Vanilla sound, i.e. it has never been in doom2.wad.

The lump you want to replace is DSSECRET in prboom-plus.wad.

6 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

where did the traditional "A secret is revealed!" sound go?

A Hexen sound imported via ZDoom traditional? That's a novel use of the word "traditional".

3 minutes ago, fabian said:

The lump is called DSSECRET and as @printz stated it's not a Vanilla sound, i.e. it has never been in doom2.wad.

What will be if I replace prboom-plus.wad from 2.5.1.5 to the latest 2.5.1.7 build?

2 minutes ago, Never_Again said:

A Hexen sound imported via ZDoom traditional? That's a novel use of the word "traditional".

All right. The old one =)

2 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

What will be if I replace prboom-plus.wad from 2.5.1.5 to the latest 2.5.1.7 build?

The ZDoom secret sfx and more that changed since then.

9 minutes ago, printz said:

Good. It was really ZDoom's specific sound, I don't get why PrBoom+ copied it and then people came in to ask me to add it to Eternity as well instead of being silent.

Traditional is to make no sound at all.

How dare you :p. You're thinking of me aren't you, I was the one to ask for it after all.

But I beg to differ anyway, maybe not that sfx specifically, but it would still need one, it feels quite off otherwise, especially since other ports have one - sake of consistency. You could argue D64 didn't have a sfx to go along with it either, but D64 =/= classic PC Doom.

3 hours ago, seed said:

but it would still need one

As long as optional, and secret message off by default.

I love that I have to change almost nothing to get EE how I like it. To be fair, it only takes at most ten minutes to get GZDoom how I like it.

3 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

As long as optional, and secret message off by default.

It was always optional and that has not changed since.

5 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

The sound?

Ah wait, you were talking about Eternity there? I thought it was PrBoom, oops.

You could make the stock sound anything - silence, a quick sound effect composed in FamiTracker, DSOOF pitched and timed to mimic the Old Spice whistle jingle, IDC. Just so long as the change doesn't mean my DSSECRET replacement in Fork in the Road has suddenly broken, I'm fine.

A question:in the next versions will it be possible to solve the "signal 11" problem?

Edited by Valboom

1 hour ago, Valboom said:

A question:in the next versions will it be possible to solve the "signal 11" problem?

I doubt it.

Signal 11 is an error message, and not the issue itself. Unless you specify the circumstances which the error occurs, there's nothing that can be done about it.

Pretty much that. Never had that issue myself.

Iirc, didn't that happen when trying to cap the framerate with some third party software? Or am I mixing things up?

23 hours ago, Never_Again said:

It's not a Hexen sound; Hexen doesn't even have secrets, contrarily to Doom, Heretic, and Strife. See note here about sector type 9 being unused and non-functional in Hexen.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Pretty much that. Never had that issue myself.

Iirc, didn't that happen when trying to cap the framerate with some third party software? Or am I mixing things up?

I did some test, without cap framerate everything ok.

Edited by Valboom

44 minutes ago, Valboom said:

I did some test, without cap framerate everything ok.

Yeah, capping it with third party software is a bad idea basically. If you have an NVIDIA card you might want to try to cap it using the framerate limiter option from within the control panel, I tried that once and it seemed to work fine with it, but I've not done extensive tests.

Honestly this port REALLY needs a built-in framerate limiter. The game is borderline unplayable with uncapped fps if VSync is turned ON, and if that cannot be fixed then at least having a framerate limiter like the Build engine ports do would be just enough. I wonder if the input handling here is done purely through SDL though, if it is, maybe using DirectInput on Windows could get rid of this issue, since SDL offers mediocre input anyway... or at least it does on Windows, on Linux it's prolly better.

It is indeed scary to see how basically almost every port in existence settled for SDL to handle things... guess that's what happens when most developers don't run Windows, where it's just an afterthought.

19 minutes ago, Valboom said:

I still have a small problem: Glboom does not work with my 1920 x 1080 resolution, while Prboom works correctly.

What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Doesn't start at all?

If the Software executable works, I'd suspect you're running outdated drivers or something.

23 minutes ago, seed said:

What do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Doesn't start at all?

If the Software executable works, I'd suspect you're running outdated drivers or something.

Sorry I formulated the question incorrectly, it works but like this:

Screenshot (9).png

Latest Win32 dev build, as of commit da85fb6 (June 26 2020)

Noteworthy changes since last dev build:

* track demo joins for TAS-detection purposes
* fixed some episode transition issues when using UMAPINFO

prbboom-plus-20200626-w32.zip

For a complete list of changes since last official release look here.

21 hours ago, Gez said:

It's not a Hexen sound; Hexen doesn't even have secrets, contrarily to Doom, Heretic, and Strife. See note here about sector type 9 being unused and non-functional in Hexen.

I stand corrected. Where does it come from, then?