Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

i dunno if anyone has reported this issue, but with this version of prboom+ only, if i move my mouse very slowly it just doesnt move at all for some reason

That's every version of prboom+ that I'm aware of. It's possible you didn't hit the low threshold on versions before the sdl2 switch though. But actually if you use the dev build there is a new option to use updated mouse code that doesn't do that.

Are you playing with longtics or shorttics? With shorttics this is just how mouse movement is handled in prboom+...it doesn't "store" partial turns so if you don't turn enough to click to the next notch, it won't turn.

This applies to glboom-plus.exe, not tested software mode:

Running both prboom-plus-2.5.1.4 and prboom-plus-2.5.1.7um and I can surely say that the latter is messing with mouse support. It has input lag, also in-game slider position is differ, i.e. I have sensitivity set at 8 (i mean 8 times pushing arrow right from zero position) and in 2.5.1.7um I should set 21 to get the same result. But still it doesn't fix input lag. BTW I have mouse acceleration disabled in Windows 10 and 2.5.1.4 doesn't suffer from anything like that, I am checking myself running it back to back.

UPDATE: I checked all versions from the very first 2.5.1.4um test and the behavior is the same - input lag and different mouse sensitivity slider.

Edited by maratnugmanov

2 hours ago, Valboom said:

Not happening at any point in the near future, so do not expect any change for the time being. Graf is busy with other projects, and so am I, for that matter.

Your best bet is to compile it yourself from source or use the builds me and Never_Again post here periodically. A version bump is a long way off.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, seed said:

Graf is busy with other projects

This reminds me. How do folks feel about having the main repo be on a new organisation or similar set up for this? Given this is primarily a community effort it seems like having it hosted by something in the vein of chocolate-doom or team-eternity would be suitable.

I've got nothing against that, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having it "under new organization".

Someone else taking over or?

Ah, that kind of organization, I see now.

Same thing, got no problems with it, especially if it will help speeding up development even more.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:07 AM, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Sorry for the bump -  has the demo desyncing issue got sorted out?

I'm not aware of any unresolved demo de-sync issues. Could you be more specific if you know of one?

Note that access the menus (via pressing "esc") during the intermission screen will de-sync, but this is a known behavior. I think there are some proposed enhancements that may fix it, but nothing is implemented. I'm sure a tested PR addressing it would be welcomed.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:25 AM, Altazimuth said:

This reminds me. How do folks feel about having the main repo be on a new organisation or similar set up for this? Given this is primarily a community effort it seems like having it hosted by something in the vein of chocolate-doom or team-eternity would be suitable.

I actually have a doomtech organization leftover from when I used to mirror old SVN repositories on github, named after the old IRC channel.  Would that work?

I'm not sure if this is related to the above issue for desyncs with esc on intermissions, but there's a couple Chex Quest series demos that I found that desync in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 and 2.5.1.7 based on my testing: https://www.dsdarchive.com/files/demos/chex/50443/cq-410.zip for Chex 1, https://www.dsdarchive.com/files/demos/chex2/50359/cq2-446.zip for Chex 2. Both were recorded in Crispy Doom, and Crispy plays them back, as well as vanilla, but PrBoom+ desyncs at the start of map 2. In both cases, there are pause tics on the map 1 intermission for some reason, so that might be part of the reason.

Weird, I'd always figured GlBoom+ didn't let you use the non-OpenGL renderer - which was why PrBoom+ was supplied alongside it. Thus I'd never have thought to try this.

28 minutes ago, Shadow Hog said:

Weird, I'd always figured GlBoom+ didn't let you use the non-OpenGL renderer - which was why PrBoom+ was supplied alongside it. Thus I'd never have thought to try this.

No, the render can be changed in both executables, and both have their features and limitations.

GlBoom has bugged transparent projectiles and a textured automap. PrBoom doesn't have it, but has working transparent projectiles.

I thought OpenGL in software exe is just for output? Changing mode can affect translucency, but that's about it; most of the things are still software-rendered.

31 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

I thought OpenGL in software exe is just for output? Changing mode can affect translucency, but that's about it; most of the things are still software-rendered.

This prompted me to recheck, and you are indeed right, dang. Seems I've (we?) been misinformed all this time.

Changing the video mode to GL in the software exe does indeed change just the output. It's otherwise still Software. This is different from the GL exe, where it actually changes between the modes.

I, uhh, been meaning to ask: (Note: I'm not trying to derail or lose focus of this thread, just wanted a few answers) Is this fork of PrBoom+ that good ol' Le No Chicken has made and that you wonderful geniuses have improved upon more faithful and better than the Eternity Engine when it comes to running wads that require Boom or MBF? This fork is fucking amazing b/c the latest 2.5.1.5 test version of PrBoom+ is buggy af on my laptop, so I had to use EE, and then I gave this thing a shot, right? Anyways, I just wish to know if this fork is better suited than EE is?

Uh... yes, this is Graf's fork.

And whether it is better suited than Eternity depends on what you are looking fork. For MBF/Boom wads they should be the same, unless you want to record demos, not sure if Eternity can record them yet, just play back.

There is no competition with Eternity here.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Uh... yes, this is Graf's fork.

And whether it is better suited than Eternity depends on what you are looking fork. For MBF/Boom wads they should be the same, unless you want to record demos, not sure if Eternity can record them yet, just play back.

There is no competition with Eternity here.

Aight, thanks, if I was making it look like there’s competition between the two SPs, I wasn’t really, and my apologies for doing so. I just had a tiny bit of confusion between the two when it came to MBF/Boom custom monsters and seeing how they do on each SP. It all boils down to preference at the end of the day.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, seed said:

No, the render can be changed in both executables, and both have their features and limitations.

i just wish the software renderer let you change the FOV too

Question: How come the latest source code does not come with the bootstrap file? I am interested in compiling this version, since it has been updated much more recently compared to anything else.

20 minutes ago, Commodore Forever! said:

Question: How come the latest source code does not come with the bootstrap file? I am interested in compiling this version, since it has been updated much more recently compared to anything else.

We switched from Automake to CMake.